Start by marking “Poppleton And Friends (Poppleton)” as Want to Read:
Poppleton And Friends (Poppleton)

Poppleton And Friends (Poppleton)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  290 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Fresh, delightfully funny, and beautifully illustrated, this storybook contains three tales about Poppleton and his wonderful friends.
Published April 1st 1998 by Blue Sky Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Poppleton And Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poppleton And Friends

Henry
Nov 21, 2014 Henry rated it liked it
Shelves: early-readers
MCL. I think the Sassy Sues should have picked a different name for their club.
Catey Steele
Oct 28, 2014 Catey Steele rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-reader
Poppleton And Friends by Cynthia Rylant is such a cute series for new readers. What I like about this one is it consists of three separate stories/chapters in one book. The layout of this book is perfect for new readers, and is not too overwhelming. These chapters or "episodes" are cute little stories Each story is actually quite comical, and I think that young readers would really enjoy them.

The Shore Day where Poppelton and Hudson take a day trip to the shore to get away. Dry Skin that is abou
Elizabeth S
Aug 05, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-beginner
These are fun, enjoyable books. This one contains 3 stories or chapters. Each ends with a fun little twist. I like Poppleton. And yet I don't love him. Not sure why.
Nora
Apr 27, 2011 Nora rated it liked it
MCL. It was funny when he kept getting questions about his lips.
Theresa
Casey Brock
Nov 10, 2009 Casey Brock rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-to-read
Reading level- higher K-2

Teague uses more of a crayon or colored pencil look rather than a paint look to complete the pictures. There is a lot of cross-stitching with the bus seats and Poppleton's body. Teague uses curved lines to show the plumpness of Poppleton's body, which shows how fat of a pig he really is. The outsides of the pictures are almost cloud like and draw the readers attention to the details in the picture. The pictures are more appealing rather than just a box look. Rylant uses
Cathy Smith
Aug 17, 2015 Cathy Smith rated it really liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. This is a great book for children. Poppleton has great adventures, like riding the bus and meeting the Sassy Sues, enjoying the beach with his buddy Hudson the mouse, and thinking he has dried skin, which actually turns out to be lint! And grapefruit...yuk! I feel the same way. An excellent read.
Susan
Dec 22, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
The Poppleton series is a favorite of my five year old son. We have read the over and over. He loves the structure of each story and feels like he is reading a chapter book!
Tiffany
Oct 14, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Oh, my gosh. I read this book for the first time during a recess while waiting for the second-graders to come back to class, and I actually LAUGHED OUT LOUD at it. That is to say, even though this book was written to entertain children, *I*, an "adult" (eh -- age-wise, sure, I'm an adult, but really, I still act like a kid), LAUGHED. Out loud. Loudly. When other people might have been in the room.

My favorite story in this collection was the one in which Poppleton thought he had dry, flaky skin,
Megan
Jul 17, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
Is there anything that Cynthia Rylant writes that is not wonderful for young readers? Poppleton is one of our new favorites!
Karen
Sep 21, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
These stories were somewhat funny and were beautifully illustrated. They were, however, a little too weird for me to love.
Lucy C
Feb 17, 2015 Lucy C rated it it was amazing
I liked this book. It was a good one.
Aileen Stewart
Mar 30, 2011 Aileen Stewart rated it it was amazing
Poppleton and friends is an excellent beginning chapter book. The stories of friendship and fun are adorable, and the colorful and detailed illustrations help bring these stories to life. The characters are fun and imaginative leaving the reader wondering what they will do next. The fact that Poppleton the pig isn't always as perceptive as he could be delighted my young daughter. For some reason, characters that are not always smart seem to amuse her greatly! This is a fine book and I would defi ...more
Julie Graham 47150
Mar 24, 2012 Julie Graham 47150 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
The stories of Poppleton are perfect chapter books for beginning readers. The characters of Poppleton the pig, Cherry Sue the Llama, and Hudson the mouse always bring a smile and a simple lesson that most first graders can understand. In my student's favorite chapter entitled, "Grapefruit," Poppleton hears that grapefruit is the secret to a long life. After a disappointed Poppleton turns green from tasting one, Hudson reveals that the true secret to a long life has been right in front of Popplet ...more
Elanor
Sep 05, 2015 Elanor added it
All by herself!
The Brothers
Feb 20, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Poppleton is back and this time he has a few adventures where he needs some help from his friends.

Cute illustrations.
Alaina Sloo
May 15, 2013 Alaina Sloo rated it it was amazing
I have not yet met a young child who doesn't love Poppleton (though I expect there must be some somewhere). Sweet stories about Poppleton and his friends for early readers that also work well read aloud to younger children.
Logan
I used to read this aloud to Logan, but last night he read it aloud to me. Poppleton is always a winner. Gentle humor, good friends, great illustrations.
Andrea Wilkinson
I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Poppleton and his friends and their adventures. Very charming story and illustrations.
Charley Gray
Jan 29, 2013 Charley Gray rated it it was amazing
This book was perfect, I always wanted to read another book in this series. I want to read the next book in this series.
Jen
Apr 15, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
Charming and clever -- perfect practice for the 2nd grade reader; hilarious for the whole family. Loved 'Grapefruit'.
Andd Becker
Oct 02, 2012 Andd Becker rated it liked it
Illustrator Mark Teague's llama is clothed, but the pig is half-clothed, then half-toweled.
Tracey
Aug 05, 2012 Tracey rated it liked it
Reminds me of George and Martha Books

Making Meaning Grade 2 Resource Kit
Mylisa Larsen
The grapefruit story kills me. Cynthia Rylant is a master of this form.
Dana Johnson
Dec 17, 2012 Dana Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-310-1
Many students love books about pigs. Great beginning chapter book.
Megan
May 28, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
Poppleton goes to the beach, gets dry skin, and tries grapefruit.
Ali
Dec 17, 2012 Ali rated it liked it
Shelves: 310
Very popular book. Kids are good at sounding out the words.
Joe
Jul 08, 2013 Joe rated it liked it
cherry sue. great character
Xiaohui Yang
Apr 09, 2013 Xiaohui Yang rated it liked it
Grade 2
  • I am Going! (Elephant and Piggie, #11)
  • Biscuit's Day at the Farm
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Abracadabra! Magic with Mouse and Mole
  • Uncle Elephant
  • Strega Nona's Harvest
  • The Very Bad Bunny (Beginner Books)
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case
  • Commander Toad in Space (Commander Toad)
  • Amelia Bedelia Under Construction
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Spark
  • Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
  • The Berenstain Bears And The Baby Chipmunk
  • Benjamin Bear in Fuzzy Thinking: TOON Level 2
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Poppleton (7 books)
  • Poppleton
  • Poppleton Forever (Poppleton)
  • Poppleton Everyday (Poppleton)
  • Poppleton In Fall