Start by marking “Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes” as Want to Read:
Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes

Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,066 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Do you worry that you're not paying enough attention to your investments? Do you feel left out when you hear about the clever things other investors seem to be doing? Relax. You don't have to become an investment genius to protect your savings. Distilling the wisdom of his thirty years' experience into lessons that can be applied in thirty minutes, Harry Browne shows you w ...more
Published January 10th 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Fail-Safe Investing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fail-Safe Investing

Ann
Jun 14, 2008 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Well, anyone really!
Recommended to Ann by: My mom;)
Shelves: non-fiction
So, obviously it took me longer than half an hour to get through this, but that's my own doing - not the book's fault ;>

I found this book very interesting and insightful. It's not really an "ABC" book to financing or anything, and I do think it's probably good to have some idea of economics and financial terms before reading. That said, the book's really pretty easy to follow and understand, and Browne does a good job of explaining concepts in various ways so you'll understand.

Mainly this bo
Melissa
Took me longer than 30 minutes, but maybe 30 minutes refers to absolutely-focused-zero-distraction reading of the 'rules' (the first half of the book). Many of the investing 'rules' Browne lays out are common sense (and for ones that might not be, his clear explanations make them nearly seem so), but of course, many forget common sense when it comes to investing. A good book to read for conservative investing, i.e. protecting your hard-earned money and keeping slow and steady growth through near ...more
Eliot
Dec 21, 2014 Eliot rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
17 bite-sized, simple, prudent and basic investment and personal finance rules.
Perfect for sharing with my young kids (with a few of my annotations) and compliments more advanced finance/investment philosophy from folks like Kiyosaki, Graham and Buffett.
JP
He makes some worthy points and does so in the simplest possible terms. His approach is probably viable, but I found his rules to be basic and repetitive. Most useful are his rules about building wealth based on a career and about ignoring gurus and salesmen.
Claire
Very basic and repetitive. Some good philosophical approaches to investing, but very little useful information for me. It also feels a bit dated with no mention of ETFs or discount brokerage firms.

(Took me a bit over 2 hours to read.)
Jason
A must read for anyone that is trying to achieve financial security in a volatile and fundamentally unsound economy. Amazing, down-to-earth advice and a very easy-to-read style. Can't say enough about how good this book is.
Clay
Decent book, a little dated for the Personal MBA IMHO. I think it is a little conservative for a younger person as well. I think the balance of the portfolio assets should change as the person ages..
John
Seems reasonably solid. The author does let his libertarian streak shine through in a few chapters though - ugh.
Jack Ely
Wish I had read this book and followed the advice when it was first published. I might be retired by now.
Ben
Short book, yet still very repetitive. It is almost like he made a pamphlet into a book. Good info though.
Matthew Macclary
Definitely one of the best investment books ever.
Isfand
A true gem for investors.
Biggles
Biggles marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Biggles
Biggles marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Evgeni
Evgeni marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Alexander Korling
Alexander Korling marked it as to-read
Elizabeth Sawyer
Elizabeth Sawyer marked it as to-read
Cinar
Cinar marked it as to-read
Stephanie Magnien
Stephanie Magnien marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment
  • Accounting Made Simple: Accounting Explained in 100 Pages or Less
How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World: A Handbook for Personal Liberty Why Government Doesn't Work The Great Libertarian Offer The Frontman: Bono (In the Name of Power) The Secret of Selling Anything