Start by marking “Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes” as Want to Read:
Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes

Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  2,186 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Do you worry that you're not paying enough attention to your investments? Do you feel left out when you hear about the clever things other investors seem to be doing? Relax. You don't have to become an investment genius to protect your savings. Distilling the wisdom of his thirty years' experience into lessons that can be applied in thirty minutes, Harry Browne shows you w ...more
Published January 10th 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Fail-Safe Investing, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Ann
Jun 14, 2008 Ann rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Well, anyone really!
Recommended to Ann by: My mom;)
Shelves: non-fiction
So, obviously it took me longer than half an hour to get through this, but that's my own doing - not the book's fault ;>

I found this book very interesting and insightful. It's not really an "ABC" book to financing or anything, and I do think it's probably good to have some idea of economics and financial terms before reading. That said, the book's really pretty easy to follow and understand, and Browne does a good job of explaining concepts in various ways so you'll understand.

Mainly this bo
Franck Chauvel
Oct 26, 2016 Franck Chauvel rated it really liked it
Shelves: finances
A quick read about how to invest for the risk-averse. The idea is simple: block some money and diversify how you invest it using stocks, bonds, gold, and cash. Harry tell how futile it is to hope to "beat the market". He prefers to play it safe, and and to create a portfolio that withstands and maybe appreciates whatever situation occurs, inflation, depression, growth, etc.

I know nothing about investment but I think I understood Harry's idea. Althought, I would feel just fine without political c
Jan Senderek
Dec 08, 2016 Jan Senderek rated it it was amazing
Very basic but fundamental and good investment advice that very much leans on being 'safe'.
Alejandro Alvarez
Nov 16, 2015 Alejandro Alvarez rated it it was amazing
Taking a look to the way the public retirement system is struggling due to the european population ageing, more and more people are looking for new ways of getting better return to their savings and building a new source of income for their future retirement.

If you are one of those people, you should read Harry Browne's investing principles. He is not promising two-digits annual returns from your investments (although the US fund following his asset allocation has got this result in the las 25 y
Melissa
Dec 11, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Took me longer than 30 minutes, but maybe 30 minutes refers to absolutely-focused-zero-distraction reading of the 'rules' (the first half of the book). Many of the investing 'rules' Browne lays out are common sense (and for ones that might not be, his clear explanations make them nearly seem so), but of course, many forget common sense when it comes to investing. A good book to read for conservative investing, i.e. protecting your hard-earned money and keeping slow and steady growth through near ...more
Byron Kay
Sep 08, 2015 Byron Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sensible, practical, worthy read

Harry tells it like it is. Not sexy. Not exciting. Practical and safe. The permanent portfolio is simple and easy to execute. It's actually quite brilliant in its simplicity and stout in its performance. Very much worth a read for any investor sophisticated or not.
Eliot
Dec 21, 2014 Eliot rated it it was amazing
17 bite-sized, simple, prudent and basic investment and personal finance rules.
Perfect for sharing with my young kids (with a few of my annotations) and compliments more advanced finance/investment philosophy from folks like Kiyosaki, Graham and Buffett.
Jason
Jun 14, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone that is trying to achieve financial security in a volatile and fundamentally unsound economy. Amazing, down-to-earth advice and a very easy-to-read style. Can't say enough about how good this book is.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it
He makes some worthy points and does so in the simplest possible terms. His approach is probably viable, but I found his rules to be basic and repetitive. Most useful are his rules about building wealth based on a career and about ignoring gurus and salesmen.
Claire
Mar 15, 2013 Claire rated it did not like it
Very basic and repetitive. Some good philosophical approaches to investing, but very little useful information for me. It also feels a bit dated with no mention of ETFs or discount brokerage firms.

(Took me a bit over 2 hours to read.)
Clay
Jan 09, 2011 Clay rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-mba
Decent book, a little dated for the Personal MBA IMHO. I think it is a little conservative for a younger person as well. I think the balance of the portfolio assets should change as the person ages..
Apr 24, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Good concept and sound advice if you can ignore the libertarian bias. The material is repetitive (whose idea was it to have two sections covering same rules?) but there is a lot to be said for a short sharp shock of financial advice whose premise is it is on you and that it is doable.
John
Jan 02, 2011 John rated it liked it
Seems reasonably solid. The author does let his libertarian streak shine through in a few chapters though - ugh.
Ben
Jun 23, 2011 Ben rated it liked it
Short book, yet still very repetitive. It is almost like he made a pamphlet into a book. Good info though.
Jack Ely
Nov 30, 2011 Jack Ely rated it really liked it
Wish I had read this book and followed the advice when it was first published. I might be retired by now.
Alba Xhumari
Alba Xhumari rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Anuj Lamsal
Anuj Lamsal rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Patricia M.
Patricia M. rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2014
Meenakshi
Meenakshi rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Mohammed
Mohammed rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Dec
Dec rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
孙晓琳
孙晓琳 rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Salman
Salman rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Kaka
Kaka rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Echo Ann
Echo Ann rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Abdulaziz
Abdulaziz rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Mohammad Yasin
Mohammad Yasin rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Robert Morton
Robert Morton rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Taofeek Ademola
Taofeek Ademola rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • Essentials of Accounting