Start by marking “Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)” as Want to Read:
Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)

Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh #4)

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  16,155 Ratings  ·  273 Reviews
When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six complete the four-volume set of deluxe editions of the Milne and Shepard classic works. Like their companions, the Winnie-the-Pooh 80th Anniversary Edition and The House At Pooh Corner, these beautiful books feature full-color artwork on cream-colored stock. The imaginative charm that has made Pooh the world’s most famous bear per ...more
Published October 31st 1988 by Dutton Books for Young Readers (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Now We Are Six, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now We Are Six

Nandakishore Varma
Like When We Were Very Young, this is also a terrific compilation. I love it when an adult can see through a child's eyes without losing his "adult-ness". Milne's poetry is simple and beautiful, and his humour can be enjoyed by adults and children alike.

Christopher Robin and Winnie-the-Pooh need no introduction. Quite a few of the poems in this book are about the duo. Milne accomplishes the extraordinary feat of seeing from the realistic and make-believe viewpoint at the same time (something whi
Manny
Of all the knights in Appledore
The wisest was Sir Thomas Tom
He multiplied as far as four
And knew what nine was taken from
To make eleven. He could write
A letter to another knight.
Rebecca
Aug 15, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
When I was very young, I eyed this book cautiously.
Six seemed immeasurably ancient. I feared being infected with age.

Photobucket
Laura Verret
Jun 22, 2014 Laura Verret rated it it was amazing
Now We Are Six is a collection of poetry by A. A. Milne and contains poems not only of Pooh Bear (who claims he was looking for Piglet and wandered through this book by mistake), but also of the Knight Whose Armor Didn’t Squeak, the Two little Bears, Alexander the Beetle, and bad King John.

Here is one of my favorite poems from this book.

Knight-in-Armour

Whenever I’m a shining Knight,
I buckle on my armour tight;
And then I look about for things,
Like Rushings-Out, and Rescuings,
And Savings from
Rizal
Jan 12, 2016 Rizal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favourite
This book is so beautiful with poems and illustrations. I can't help but to smile when I read poems that I can relate to when I was a little kid. Like collecting insects and tadpoles, rooting for a drop of rain on the window to finish 1st, or questioning a lot of silly things.

These are my favourites from this collection:
1. Solitude
10. Wind On The Hill
11. In The Dark
12. The End
Jo Woolfardis | Infinite Variety Books
Read as part of the Infinite Variety 2016 Reading Challenge based on the BBC's Big Read poll of 2003.

Some lovely poems and they were just as I imagine a child will mark his days by, but not very consistent.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Rebecca McNutt
May 25, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books as a kid; I got a copy for my sixth birthday and I loved its unique illustrations, its vibrant poetry and its originality and imagination. Definitely a classic and a great book for children.
Mathew
This selection, several years after 'When We Were Very Young' is even better. I took a liking to almost all the poems and admired the range of rhythm and rhyme that takes place. Again, Milne plays so much on using the form of poetry to reflect on Christopher's life and adventures and it works so well in terms of there being poems which reflect childhood - a lot like Rosen's early stuff. I'd certainly have a classroom copy and would want to share so many with the class.
Peter Jamieson
Apparently, this is a book for 6-year olds. It says it right there in the title. Yeah - but it's heart-felt, sincere and funny. Plus, wise. So I think everyone could give this book a go, whatever age you are.
Becci
Oct 12, 2016 Becci rated it really liked it
My mum bought this for me for my sixth birthday... and I still have it - I still read it every now and then...
Sweet, amusing... reliable poetry to bring back all those memories...
Andrea
Oct 09, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book was so cute! At first I was disappointed that Pooh and his friends weren't the main characters, however, I was happy to see that, as A. A. Milne says in his forward, " (Pooh) walked through (the book) one day, looking for his friend Piglet, and sat down on some of the pages by mistake." Pooh's appearance in several poems was a pleasant surprise; however I did enjoy several of Milne's other poems that included other characters. This collection of poems was very fun to read, and I think ...more
Monique
Mar 20, 2015 Monique rated it liked it
So, my mom picked up this book while I was in the library, and when I got out, told me in so many words how boring this book was. I laughed and told her it had a few gems in it (like the excerpt below that I loved), but no excuses can be made; the first two books were definitely better, with everything. Poem books aren't Milne's strong point. The poems in the first two were weird but tolerable surrounded by the great writing, but standing alone, they fall flat.

Excerpt:
Sneezles

Christopher Robin
Ha
Salima Sikandar
Mar 30, 2014 Salima Sikandar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry

Now we are Six is written by A.A. Milne and illustrated by Ernest H. Shepard. The book is similar to the poetry books “When We were very Young”. The poem contains wonderful rhyming pattern and is very rhythmic which makes easy to relate and sound similar to nursery rhymes.
The pictures are very sweet and I liked the idea of the author how Pooh came into the story with, in his author’s notes, it reads "Pooh wants us to say that he thought it was a different book; and he hopes you won't mind, but
Mariela
May 01, 2014 Mariela rated it it was amazing
Now we are six is a great children's poetry book. This book was written by the famous A.A. Milne for children in the ages of five to eight. This book contains a variety of great poems where everyone's favorite characters appear; Whine the Pooh, piglet, Christopher Robbin, and etc. I love this book because of the conversation that go on trough out the story with pooh and Christopher ribbon. I think this story would be a great story to use as an example of poetry. You could have your students recr ...more
Dusty
Jul 31, 2009 Dusty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dusty by: Imogene Ilchman
As a kid, I knew this book was part of Milne's Pooh series. It came with the other books, like the others it has pictures of Pooh, Piglet and Chrisopher Robin on the cover, yet ... I can't say it's a book I retained a clear memory of. Turns out, it's poetry.

Some of the poems are quite good in a clever and didactic way ("The Old Sailor"). Others are clever and weird in a Lewis Carroll way ("Sneezles"). And the rest ... are not too much better than what you'd get from a class of nostalgic junior
Bethany
Jun 13, 2015 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Charming, sweet, and memorable. My poor deprived A.A.Milne-less childhood has been redeemed.

This is poetry to remember and memorize and enjoy again and again. And also to pass on to others. I think half the delight of this book is added by the incredible drawings. So read it. And enjoy. And share with others, small and big alike. It's that kind of book. :)
Cruth
Author: A A Milne
Illustrator: E H Shepard
First Published: 1927

Why don't we read more poetry? The 7yo loved this, even if some concepts (eg Nanny) are dated.

Beautifully illustrated with rhythmic verse that exposes the beauty of language.

Highly recommended.

Age:
Read aloud: 3+
Read yourself: 7+

-CR-
Beth Mathison
Feb 11, 2011 Beth Mathison rated it it was amazing
I got this book as a gift on my sixth birthday. Love it -- still have it. A classic for any child.
Schuyler
Dec 27, 2016 Schuyler rated it really liked it
A charming collection of poetry exploring life through a child's eyes. Some childhood woes and joys you never forget, and this reminded me of many of them.
Carla
Oct 08, 2008 Carla added it
Shelves: anna-read
After reading this book of children's poetry, Anna frequently asks "Mommy, can you read us some poetry while we finish our lunch?" I think that means she likes it :)
Baranie
Oct 26, 2010 Baranie rated it liked it
My older kids really enjoy poetry and this book has nicer subjects for my 6 and 8 year old than some of the Shel Silverstein poems.
Petya Kokudeva
Apr 18, 2013 Petya Kokudeva rated it really liked it
С прекрасните илюстрации на Ърнест Шепард:)
Ellis
Jan 01, 2016 Ellis rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I liked some of the poems, loved others but then again some were kind of just there.
Lindsey
Nov 01, 2016 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, children-s
I really enjoyed the sweet, clever poems in this book. It doesn't have much to do with Winnie the Pooh, so I'm not totally sure why it's part of that series, but there were a few mentions of him. My kids don't love listening to poetry, but I still think it's important and try to expose them to it a little bit. When I explained some of the poems and then read them again, they seemed to enjoy them more.

Here's a poem from the book that I enjoyed:

Christopher, Christopher, where are you going, Christ
Adrianne
Dec 18, 2016 Adrianne rated it it was amazing
This was our first A.A. Milne book and it took a bit to get into but once we did we all enjoyed it. We have read through two Shel Silverstein poetry books, and this was a bit more sophisticated which added to "getting into it." Her poetry books are always a staple in the Charlotte Mason method crowd which our teaching method tends to lean towards. I foresee reading through her other works in the future and re-reading this to my son when he gets a little older.
Kai
Nov 03, 2016 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“So wherever I am, there's always Pooh,
There's always Pooh and Me.
"What would I do?" I said to Pooh,
"If it wasn't for you," and Pooh said to me: "True,
It isn't much fun for One, but Two
Can stick together," says Pooh, says he.
"That's how it is," says Pooh.”

Filed under Things I'll Read To My Children. Totally cute and funny.
Kristy K
3.5 Stars.

I love the post script in the intro:

Pooh wants us to say that he thought it was a different book: and he hopes you won't mind, but he walked through it one day, looking for his friend Piglet, and sat down on some of the pages.

So cute!
Emilou
Jan 10, 2017 Emilou rated it liked it
This was fun to read to my toddler. I think he enjoys the rhyming of the poetry.
Josephine Boorman
Nov 22, 2016 Josephine Boorman rated it really liked it
I loved reading poetry as a child.A.A. Milne makes it a joy !
Vanessa Westen
Oct 02, 2016 Vanessa Westen added it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a book that continues with the Winnie the Pooh series, however, this one is written in poem form.
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • Paddle-to-the-Sea
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • A Kiss for Little Bear
  • Haunted House
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • The Snowman
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac
More about A.A. Milne...

Winnie-the-Pooh (5 books)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and the Royal Birthday

“But now I am six. And I'm clever as clever. And now I think I'll stay six now forever and ever.” 131 likes
“Wherever I am, there's always Pooh,
There's always Pooh and Me.
Whatever I do, he wants to do,
"Where are you going today?" says Pooh:
"Well, that's very odd 'cos I was too.
Let's go together," says Pooh, says he.
"Let's go together," says Pooh.”
43 likes