Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)

Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  2,338 ratings  ·  100 reviews
The first book in the acclaimed easy-to-read series featuring Henry and his lovable 180-pound dog, Mudge.
Published June 1st 1996 by Simon Spotlight (first published April 1st 1987)

Kathleen Pine
Henry felt very lonely as he had no siblings and lived on a street with no children. Then his parents agreed to letting him get a dog, whom he named Mudge. The story talks about their tight friendship as Mudge grows bigger and made Henry feel safe and happy as they did everything together. Then one day Mudge took a walk and got lost, making both Henry and Mudge very upset. Eventually the two find each other and vow to never lose one and other again.

This story shows the love for pets, the bond of...more
Kathryn
I've heard so many good things about this book and that it is hugely popular. Perhaps I had too many expectations, then. I'm not sure I was completely dazzled, but it is a very sweet story told in simple words (good for beginning read-on-my-own readers) about the friendship between a boy and his dog.
Wanett
There is a lot of emotion packed into Henry and Mudge: The First Book. The feelings of isolation and lonesomeness that Henry expresses are powerful and extremely well written, though simple and straightforward. After rejecting his initial requests his parents decide that his request for a pet can be granted. He carefully selects the perfect dog for him; little did he know that Mudge would be more dog than he could ever wish for. They become fast friends and Henry is a different child with Mudge...more
Shelby Olszewski
Henry had no brothers, sisters, or other children on his street. He asked his parents for a dog, after they told him no to having another sibling or moving streets, they thought about it and said yes. Henry was so excited he searched for a dog. He did not want just any dog it could not be short, have curly hair, or have pointed ears. Then Henry found Mudge, he had floppy ears, straight fur, but was short. But that was only because he was a puppy. Mudge grew very quickly, he grew out of his puppy...more
David
Henry And Mudge: The First Book by Cynthia Rylant, illustrated by Suçie Stevenson, is the first book in this series of over 2 dozen books about a dog & the boy who loved him. We see Mudge back in his puppy days before he becomes the 180 pound dog of all the later books. The first book has 7 very short chapters, before just 3 stories became the norm for this series. This is a sweet story, focusing on Henry's lonliness, his bonding with Mudge, and the time when Mudge got lost.

The text has a l...more
Linsay Piersawl
Henry and Mudge is a story about a boy named Henry that is a bit lonely and doesn’t have any friends. Henry asks his parents for a dog and to his surprise is given a very small puppy he names Mudge. We follow the two and watch as Mudge not only becomes a huge, happy, and loving Dog but Henry’s Best friend. This easy to read book is the first of many tales that Cynthia Rylant writes. Sucie Stevenson provides simple illustrations that mirrors Rylant’s beginning reader text. Stevenson’s illustratio...more
Ryan Gray
Henry and Mudge is a great story about friendship and compassion. In the story the young boy, Henry wants nothing more than a dog of his own. At first his parents tell him that he may not have a dog, however after reconsidering the matter they decide that they will allow Henry to have a dog. Henry looks for a dog until he finds a perfect match. Henry and Mudge fall in love with each other and are as close as a dog and a young boy can be. The two are simply inseparable. One day while Henry is out...more
Tobinsfavorite
May 25, 2010 Tobinsfavorite rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers
Recommended to Tobinsfavorite by: librarian
Our librarian suggested this as good for our beginning reader to read out loud. We read one chapter a day. That worked great for, say, Frog and Toad, which runs 50-60 pages with five chapters per book. This is 37 (or so) pages with seven chapters in it. It's kind of boring, chapter by chapter, since so very little happens in each one. then I found out that there are 27+ books in this series! Dread! Groan! (OK, the boy doesn't have to know that, but still... he liked it.)
The art is alright. It's...more
Marcie
Henry and Mudge: The First Book, written by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Sucie Stevenson, is a realistic fiction book to help readers learn to read bigger, harder and longer books as part of a level reading system. This book helps introduce kids to books from two different characters' perspectives as part of the book is in Henry's perspective, part of it is in Mudge's perspective, and part of it comes from both of them together. When Mudge gets lost, their perspectives are separated, but wh...more
Chelsey Stotler
1. This is a great story about compassion and friendship between a young boy and his dog. Henry’s parents allow him to buy a dog and he finds Mudge to be a perfect match. Mudge gets lost and Henry spends the day searching for him. They are finally reunited. This book was heart warming just like many of Cynthia Rylent’s books. This story could relate to anyone who has ever lost their pet. It is a very sad and helpless feeling. It may give a reader who has lost their pet hope in finding them again...more
Megan
Natalie and I loved the first book in the Henry and Mudge series! Henry is an only child who longs for a dog and finally convinces his parents to get one. Mudge, the 180 pound dog, is Henry's best friend.
Corinne Roesler
This is another great introductory to reading book. There are several of it's kind, all involving Henry and Mudge. These books are great for new readers who are learning to read on their own.
Kyrie
I've always loved this reader about a boy and his big dog. It's not childish, and engages attention. A good way to introduce the desire to read on one's own.
Mimi
Jill really enjoys these books. They are too long for Danny, but Jill feels like a big girl, because Mommy is reading her a book with chapters. (I'll pause so you can ooh and aah appropriately now.)

I like the message in this book, and I was touched by how sad Jill thought Henry's life was. She couldn't imagine living with no siblings. She was shocked to discover there are kids like Henry with no brothers and sisters.

Oh, and this book allowed us to have a discussion about how Jill should never wa...more
Elle
I read this to my 5 year old and he was focused intensely, the entire time, on the story of this boy and his favorite canine pale, Mudge. The author did an excellent job giving a voice in very little words. It was unique and entertaining, even for me, to read it. I’ve often read children’s books that had a great story but little to no voice or personality in the words on the page. I think there are other books in this series and I will check those out too.
Nicole Holsted
Henry and Mudge is a great transitional book series for younger children. Sometimes it is hard to transition from picture books to chapter books. I selected this series because these chapter books are one of the first transitional books I started to read. I continued to read a lot and after these years I always think back to Henry and Mudge. It is important to remember that readers need to be encouraged when first being introduced to a chapter book, this book also provides pictures in the book a...more
Eris Michael Vakarian
These books were one of the ones that taught me to read, dammit. MY FEELS.
Amy
Henry and Mudge are a Big hit at our house - Love the series!!
Ryan Treaster
This is a great book that shows children the importance of friendship through a person or an animal. In this book, Henry really wants a dog so he finds Mudge. When the two are separated, both of them realize how much they care for one another. This is a very good book for children to read and understand.

Reading Level- Early Readers
Curricular uses- Independent read or read aloud
Social issues- Discusses the importance of friendship and relays that animals can be a child's best friend as well as an...more
Jeannie
We love Henry and Mudge books! We checked out every on that we could find when my children were young. And we renewed them again and again. I read these books aloud so many times that I could probably still recite them. I remember how excited everyone would get when we discovered a new Henry and Mudge book. These sweet books about a boy and his beloved pet should be a part of everyone's childhood experience. These are great books for cuddling with your children and reading aloud together. And He...more
Yasuko Takatsuki
2013.4.24 814words
Mrs. McCoy
Hooked some 1st graders with this one!
midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 20 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Jaci Benson
My niece (2nd grade) enjoyed the "Henry and Mudge" series because they were easy to follow and had a cute story line. However, this made her want a dog really bad. She liked that it was about a family and so she could relate to the stories. She really liked the books that were Christmas themed.

I would even recommend these books for many of my older elementary or younger middle school students that are at a lower reading level because they are short books, yet feel like chapter books.
These books may not be a work or literary art, but they were my kids' favorites. The lovable characters and and relatable stories are perfect for young kids trying to jump to the next reading level. Henry and Mudge got both my kids reading chapter books at a young age by bridging the gap between phonics-based readers and first chapter books. These books will always have a special place in my heart, as they were the stories that first got my kids reading independently.
Read Aloud West Virginia
Written by a beloved West Virginia author.
Michaell
This is a great book about friendship, solar panels, love and adversity.

TACOS are good......note by author

etc.
Henry is hanging out with his best friend Mudge. when all of a sudden Mudge sees a rabbit in the woods and he runs away. Henry endlessy chases after his partner in crime FOR DAYS. He has no luck. 2 weeks went by and Henry and his papa go hunting. He aims and a mysterious figure gets in the way, is it mudge!?!?!?! read to find out!
Tara
For anyone who loves dogs, this is a very cute book! I loved the way Rylant wrote this and the way she described things. I was drawn into the story! It is definitely an easy and quick read (e.g. good for a second grader to pick up at the beginning of the year if they feel up to short chapter books). There are many adventures of Henry and Mudge, so this would be a good book to read aloud and hook kids into the series.
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • Nate the Great
  • Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • Owl at Home
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • The Night Pirates
  • Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel
  • Horrible Harry in Room 2B
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Baby
  • Biscuit
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)
  • That Pesky Rat
  • Bravest Dog Ever: Story of Balto
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • The Real Thief
  • Oliver
  • Arthur Writes a Story (Arthur Adventure Series)
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years Hansel and Gretel