Start by marking “Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever” as Want to Read:
Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever

Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  3,882 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Words, words, words! They define everything and kids want to define their world. Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever is frankly the best word book ever!!! From the Bear's home to the beach, from the airport to the zoo, verbs, numbers, parts of the body, every oversized spread has hundreds of things to look at, point to, and identify.

Pigs, cats, rabbits, and bears, all doi
Hardcover, Giant Little Golden Book, 72 pages
Published September 1st 1999 by Golden Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
282nd out of 3,123 books — 5,884 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
100th out of 1,299 books — 959 voters

More lists with this book...

J
Jan 25, 2009 J rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: favorites
THIS IS the best word book ever. EVER. My four year old and I stretch out on our bellies on the floor and read every single word.

"traffic light, telephone booth, manhole, sidewalk, subway entrance, token seller, newsstand, taxi, turnpike or thruway or superhighway, crane, seaport, bay, lighthouse, drawbridge, windmill, forest, classroom, wastebasket, inkwell, desk, pencil, paper clip, scissors, string, lost-clothing drawer, clock, grocer, salmonella infested peanut butter, jam, bread, baby food
Tracey Demario
Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever is a wonderful word book for preschoolers (N). Originally published in 1963, many parents may remember it from their own childhood. The 1980 edition has made a few changes, mostly having to do with sexism. More girls and women appear and father is as likely to be seen pushing a stroller or working in the kitchen as is mother. These types of revisions seem appropriate and even add to the enjoyment of the book. Others, however, such as deleting the sections on ...more
Dieschokolade
This is my most favorite book ever!

My father bought me this book since I was so young that I cannot remember a thing.
As far as I can remember, I always carry this book with me in my early childhood.
I always have this book on my shelf until now. It's on the spot that I can reach everytime I want to open it. I suppose I'll never get bored of this beloved book!

It taught me to read and write. Moreover, it taught me to draw. The great inspiration for me to learn art.
Asho
If you have been following my son's book reviews over the years (or rather, the reviews I am writing for him until he is old enough to actually write) you may notice that it appears that we are reading significantly fewer books these days. In fact, we are clocking more reading time than ever, but there isn't much to record on Goodreads these days because we are basically reading the same handful of books over and over again. This book is one of them.
My two-year-old is fascinated by this book. He
Mireille
Ma fille ADORE ce livre (et moi aussi - j'en ai des beaux souvenirs d'enfance et j'aime encore beaucoup le lire comme parent). L'inconvénient c'est qu'il n'est pas cartonné et qu'elle est un peu jeune, alors j'ai toujours peur qu'elle l'abîme. J'espère qu'on va le garder pour plusieurs années.
Kate
Jun 14, 2007 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: childhood
When I was four and a half, I taught myself how to read and write with Richard Scarry books; I would make grocery lists featuring all the items from this book we should make sure to purchase; lots of fruit and sugar.
Ty Powers
Seeing the cover brings back a deluge of memories! This book started my lifelong fascination with animals dressed as humans. I like it if they talk, too.
Denis Vukosav
“Best Word Book Ever” written by Richard Scarry and illustrated by Golden Books is one of those books that you definitely need to have at home, a mandatory read to be enjoyed by every girl and boy who are learning to read.

This is the book I remember from my youth, due to it probably my love for reading started and I still keep that old version somewhere.
The book is divided into numerous categories, on each of them presented pictures are labeled very close to each thing, appearance, action or som
Snarky's
I love Richard Scarry books. They are dazzling with richly developed characters who do really funny things.
Julie
Love Richard Scarry!!
Wendy Daniel
It is the very best word book ever and is perfect for teaching print awareness and vocabulary skills. Looking for the worm and discovering new things every time you open the book keeps kids ages 1-3 interested through each page. It's also nice because it's not necessary to read through the entire book in each sitting. Kids have more control over where to start and where to begin. This ability to "control" the book is a great way to encourage print motivation in the younger children.
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child.
This was probably the main book that got me started on reading. I would obsessively memorize the little pictures, the placement of the animals, and gradually, learned what all the words meant beside the pictures. It is done in a way that makes it very easy to learn, and a lot of fun. It's almost like a picture game, you can follow directions or create your own "eye spy" type games from it.
Karla
What child wouldn't like this busy little book of characters and things and happenings in Busytown? Each item is labeled with its name (car, brush, mouse, etc.) to help with early word association and reading. Each set of pages features a new scene. Very entertaining for busy minds! Also available in a Spanish version.
Larissa
On the advice of a friend, I checked the Icelandic/Danish/English translation of this Richard Scarry classic out of the library. I remember reading this (in English, of course) when I was a kid, and now reading it again while I'm trying to learn Icelandic, I have a renewed appreciation for it. Some of the words are, I think, a little dated--I'm not just talking about the presence of TV antennas in the definitions--more words like "salt castor" instead of salt shaker or a "petticoat" being part o ...more
Connie
This is the revised edition of the book. There are some notable differences between the two, some dubiously good (there are more females... but you can tell that because bows were stuck on their heads, so not exactly a gain for feminism) and some probably not (the vocabulary was watered down).

However, even with that in mind, this is an awesome book for the toddler and the early reader. There's labeled pictures of very close to everything under the sun, in categories, and there's extra text on ea
Robin Morris
I remember having this book when I was young. I especially enjoyed looking at the pages of the cat family household and the Thanksgiving dinner meal. This book went with me everywhere for months. There are so many words and pictures and the active hustle and bustle of everyday living displayed in this book is captivating. You can always find some activity happening in the book that you hadn't noticed before. Each time you open the book there seems like you find something new. I had to have this ...more
Kaethe
I dislike Scarry's style, I dislike the 50s gender roles, and I am disturbed beyond words to see a pig working as a butcher.

The Offspring, however, both like this as toddlers.
Lisa
I LOVED Richard Scarry books growing up...they are super busy, and filled with eye candy! Everywhere you look there is something going on :) I have the entire collection to share with my daughter now, and they are really fun to look back on. Some of the images are really dated, ex: record players and tv's with rabbit ears, etc... (which makes it fun for me), but doesnt hurt the story at all! My daughter is 2 1/2 and sometimes i see her just sitting in a corner looking thru all the pages on her o ...more
Lynn
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Tami
Written and Illustrated by: Richard Scarry Genre: Non Fiction Age Level: P Date: 1980
Summary: The book is a random book of subjects that have words and pictures to match. In every page there are over 10 different words and 10 pictures to match. Scarry gives the readers reason to wear his books out and I think that is why he filled his pages with many words and pictures to look at. I think this book forces reader’s to read over again to learn something else. This book is filled with colorful, cre
Andie Pandie
This is the best book ever! PERIOD.
End of story. You can learn a lot with this book. You learn how a little bear wakes up in the morning and what he eats for breakfast.
You learn how the rabbit family lives. Did you know their TV room is in the attic? Sheesh, I bet no one watches TV in the Summer!
At the zoo, only tiny itty bitty mice named GENTS go there to see the HUGE animals. Must be flooded sometimes with all the drooling the caged animals make.
But hey, I don't want to spoil the book for
Kayleigh Gagnon
My boys adore this book. Love Richard Scarry's illustrations!
Lakshmi
My 2 year old son loves this book!
Allison P
Second generation favorite
midnightfaerie
A great educational book for your younger ones. My twin 3 yr old's loved it. Colorful fun pictures that helps get the child engaged and keeps them engaged. A great addition to any children's library.
Josiah
This book carries strong memories for me from my parents reading it to me before I could even recognize the words themselves. This is certainly a book for pre-readers, but Richard Scarry's inclusion of some more difficult words led me to know some of those words before others my age did.
I regard this book with much fondness, and still enjoy looking through the pictures and identifying all the words.
Abby
I love the fact that Richard Scarry books always have such thought out detail. We love looking for Lowly Worm on each page, sometimes he is even on the same page more than once. It is a race to see who can spot him first! I really liked these books as a child, and enjoy reading them for the next generation to enjoy.
Katie
I LOVE Richard Scarry. I loved him as a kid, and I still love him as an adult. How much fun it was to peruse each page reading the label for each item depicted: spoon, knife, fork, stove, refrigerator in the kitchen; sofa, table, chair in the living room. Awww, the memories. . .
Peter Heinrich
Still fascinating to five-year-olds everywhere... It's funny to see Zane skip to the same pages I liked best. ("At the Airport," "Boats and Ships," "Work Machines," "Cars and Trucks," "The Firefighters to the Rescue," "Trains," and "At the Beach," as if you had to ask.)
Cara
A childhood favorite...every kid should have this book. I remember studying it for what seemed like the longest time. It was fun to find out my husband felt the same way about it as a kid. Our kids have it and love it too.
  • I Am a Bunny
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • A Baby Sister for Frances
  • Big Dog...Little Dog
  • The Travels of Babar
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • Bunny Cakes
  • Curious George's ABCs
  • Anatole (Anatole #1)
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • Tabby McTat
What Do People Do All Day? Cars and Trucks and Things That Go Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever! Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book Busy, Busy Town