Start by marking “Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever” as Want to Read:
Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever

Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  5,520 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
Words, words, words! They define everything and kids want to define their world. Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever is frankly the best word book ever!!! From the Bear's home to the beach, from the airport to the zoo, verbs, numbers, parts of the body, every oversized spread has hundreds of things  to look at, point to, and identify.

Pigs, cats, rabbits, and bears, all d
Hardcover, Giant Little Golden Book, 72 pages
Published September 1st 1999 by Golden Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever

Jason Koivu
Jul 15, 2015 Jason Koivu rated it did not like it
* * * Read and Reviewed by Me & My Niece Emma * * *

Emma has real doubts about that title. I fought for Richard Scarry, but I'm afraid the 5 year old girl might be right.

Scarry's cartoony fantasy land populated with eyelid-less, anthropomorphic animals was absolutely beloved by yours truly when I was but a wee lad. However, this incarnation has none of the sense of fun found in the Scarry books I read as a boy. Nothing, I mean nothing out of the ordinary happens in Best.... In the Scarry book
J
Jan 25, 2009 J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
THIS IS the best word book ever. EVER. My four year old and I stretch out on our bellies on the floor and read every single word.

"traffic light, telephone booth, manhole, sidewalk, subway entrance, token seller, newsstand, taxi, turnpike or thruway or superhighway, crane, seaport, bay, lighthouse, drawbridge, windmill, forest, classroom, wastebasket, inkwell, desk, pencil, paper clip, scissors, string, lost-clothing drawer, clock, grocer, salmonella infested peanut butter, jam, bread, baby food
Dieschokolade
Dec 15, 2007 Dieschokolade rated it it was amazing
This is my most favorite book ever!

My father bought me this book since I was so young that I cannot remember a thing.
As far as I can remember, I always carry this book with me in my early childhood.
I always have this book on my shelf until now. It's on the spot that I can reach everytime I want to open it. I suppose I'll never get bored of this beloved book!

It taught me to read and write. Moreover, it taught me to draw. The great inspiration for me to learn art.
Kate
Jun 14, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: childhood
When I was four and a half, I taught myself how to read and write with Richard Scarry books; I would make grocery lists featuring all the items from this book we should make sure to purchase; lots of fruit and sugar.
Mireille
Sep 27, 2012 Mireille rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ma fille ADORE ce livre (et moi aussi - j'en ai des beaux souvenirs d'enfance et j'aime encore beaucoup le lire comme parent). L'inconvénient c'est qu'il n'est pas cartonné et qu'elle est un peu jeune, alors j'ai toujours peur qu'elle l'abîme. J'espère qu'on va le garder pour plusieurs années.
Ty Powers
Jun 18, 2007 Ty Powers rated it really liked it
Seeing the cover brings back a deluge of memories! This book started my lifelong fascination with animals dressed as humans. I like it if they talk, too.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 Kaethe rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-aloud
I dislike Scarry's style, I dislike the 50s gender roles, and I am disturbed beyond words to see a pig working as a butcher.

The Offspring, however, both like this as toddlers.
Julie
Jun 07, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Love Richard Scarry!!
AE
May 31, 2007 AE rated it it was amazing
I love Richard Scarry books. They are dazzling with richly developed characters who do really funny things.
Pamela Covington
Jan 07, 2017 Pamela Covington rated it it was amazing
A classic storybook that I read to my children. Very visual and crazy fun while learning.
Asho
Jul 09, 2014 Asho rated it it was amazing
If you have been following my son's book reviews over the years (or rather, the reviews I am writing for him until he is old enough to actually write) you may notice that it appears that we are reading significantly fewer books these days. In fact, we are clocking more reading time than ever, but there isn't much to record on Goodreads these days because we are basically reading the same handful of books over and over again. This book is one of them.
My two-year-old is fascinated by this book. He
Larissa
Nov 17, 2012 Larissa rated it really liked it
On the advice of a friend, I checked the Icelandic/Danish/English translation of this Richard Scarry classic out of the library. I remember reading this (in English, of course) when I was a kid, and now reading it again while I'm trying to learn Icelandic, I have a renewed appreciation for it. Some of the words are, I think, a little dated--I'm not just talking about the presence of TV antennas in the definitions--more words like "salt castor" instead of salt shaker or a "petticoat" being part o ...more
Connie
Aug 24, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
This is the revised edition of the book. There are some notable differences between the two, some dubiously good (there are more females... but you can tell that because bows were stuck on their heads, so not exactly a gain for feminism) and some probably not (the vocabulary was watered down).

However, even with that in mind, this is an awesome book for the toddler and the early reader. There's labeled pictures of very close to everything under the sun, in categories, and there's extra text on ea
Robin Morris
Oct 01, 2013 Robin Morris rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
I remember having this book when I was young. I especially enjoyed looking at the pages of the cat family household and the Thanksgiving dinner meal. This book went with me everywhere for months. There are so many words and pictures and the active hustle and bustle of everyday living displayed in this book is captivating. You can always find some activity happening in the book that you hadn't noticed before. Each time you open the book there seems like you find something new. I had to have this ...more
Lisa
Jan 01, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I LOVED Richard Scarry books growing up...they are super busy, and filled with eye candy! Everywhere you look there is something going on :) I have the entire collection to share with my daughter now, and they are really fun to look back on. Some of the images are really dated, ex: record players and tv's with rabbit ears, etc... (which makes it fun for me), but doesnt hurt the story at all! My daughter is 2 1/2 and sometimes i see her just sitting in a corner looking thru all the pages on her o ...more
Andie Pandie
Jul 23, 2012 Andie Pandie rated it it was amazing
This is the best book ever! PERIOD.
End of story. You can learn a lot with this book. You learn how a little bear wakes up in the morning and what he eats for breakfast.
You learn how the rabbit family lives. Did you know their TV room is in the attic? Sheesh, I bet no one watches TV in the Summer!
At the zoo, only tiny itty bitty mice named GENTS go there to see the HUGE animals. Must be flooded sometimes with all the drooling the caged animals make.
But hey, I don't want to spoil the book for
Tami
Nov 20, 2012 Tami rated it it was amazing
Written and Illustrated by: Richard Scarry Genre: Non Fiction Age Level: P Date: 1980
Summary: The book is a random book of subjects that have words and pictures to match. In every page there are over 10 different words and 10 pictures to match. Scarry gives the readers reason to wear his books out and I think that is why he filled his pages with many words and pictures to look at. I think this book forces reader’s to read over again to learn something else. This book is filled with colorful, cre
Judy
Apr 12, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
Hmm ... this is a tough one for me to review. I imagine that this will appeal to some kids more than others. Maybe young introverts would appreciate the detail. (I'm currently reading "Quiet" by Cain with is about introversion.) Instead of using a book, I usually do vocabulary building with our real-world experiences. After I've looked at this with some young children, I may want to revise this review.
Josiah
May 01, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
This book carries strong memories for me from my parents reading it to me before I could even recognize the words themselves. This is certainly a book for pre-readers, but Richard Scarry's inclusion of some more difficult words led me to know some of those words before others my age did.
I regard this book with much fondness, and still enjoy looking through the pictures and identifying all the words.
Wendy Daniel
May 06, 2014 Wendy Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: lis-4700
It is the very best word book ever and is perfect for teaching print awareness and vocabulary skills. Looking for the worm and discovering new things every time you open the book keeps kids ages 1-3 interested through each page. It's also nice because it's not necessary to read through the entire book in each sitting. Kids have more control over where to start and where to begin. This ability to "control" the book is a great way to encourage print motivation in the younger children.
Abby
May 08, 2014 Abby rated it it was amazing
I love the fact that Richard Scarry books always have such thought out detail. We love looking for Lowly Worm on each page, sometimes he is even on the same page more than once. It is a race to see who can spot him first! I really liked these books as a child, and enjoy reading them for the next generation to enjoy.
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child.
This was probably the main book that got me started on reading. I would obsessively memorize the little pictures, the placement of the animals, and gradually, learned what all the words meant beside the pictures. It is done in a way that makes it very easy to learn, and a lot of fun. It's almost like a picture game, you can follow directions or create your own "eye spy" type games from it.
Karla
Nov 19, 2014 Karla rated it it was amazing
What child wouldn't like this busy little book of characters and things and happenings in Busytown? Each item is labeled with its name (car, brush, mouse, etc.) to help with early word association and reading. Each set of pages features a new scene. Very entertaining for busy minds! Also available in a Spanish version.
Jennifer Heise
Jun 09, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it
Shelves: beekman
My son enjoyed this as he does all Richard Scarry. I don't know how attached to them he will remain now that he is six and a fluent reader, but who can resist the charming pictures and the silly escapades, even if one suspects many are lifted from previous books?
The Badger
Sep 06, 2016 The Badger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After I graduated from Mat the Rat, I became enchanted with the world of Richard Scary. I'm sure my mom loved it, too--I could sit for hours with these books. When I was 5 and we visited the US, I expected to land in a country as busy and interesting as Richard Scary's world.
Peter Heinrich
Nov 10, 2011 Peter Heinrich rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-to-me
Still fascinating to five-year-olds everywhere... It's funny to see Zane skip to the same pages I liked best. ("At the Airport," "Boats and Ships," "Work Machines," "Cars and Trucks," "The Firefighters to the Rescue," "Trains," and "At the Beach," as if you had to ask.)
Katie
May 30, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Richard Scarry. I loved him as a kid, and I still love him as an adult. How much fun it was to peruse each page reading the label for each item depicted: spoon, knife, fork, stove, refrigerator in the kitchen; sofa, table, chair in the living room. Awww, the memories. . .
Carrie Guipe
Aug 15, 2015 Carrie Guipe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Nostalgic for me. The title is not false advertising. I think best to start this book at 1.5 years and use while kids are learning to label their world. Then, they may appreciate it over the years as the humor and silliness grows with them.
Jul 20, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites, and I was so pleased to see it thriving in this day and age. I bought three copies--two for friends who just had babies and one for the impending grandchild. This one stays on MY shelf for visits...!
WMO
Aug 25, 2008 WMO rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddlers 20+ months
This book can hold my 2-yr old's attention for an amazingly long time. It has everything you can imagine inside and is so much fun. I grew up with Richard Scarry books and love the fact that nothing has changed in 30 years!
  • I Am a Bunny
  • Mad About Madeline: The Complete Tales
  • The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
  • A Baby Sister for Frances
  • The Color Kittens
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • Black on White
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • Goose Goofs Off
  • Horns to Toes and in Between
  • Winter Story
  • The Travels of Babar
  • The Fire Engine Book (Little Golden Book)
  • I Spy Spooky Night: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Little Blue Truck's Christmas
  • Angus and the Cat
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • Pretzel