Start by marking “My Sister's Keeper” as Want to Read:
My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper

In the north woods of Wisconsin following a forest fire that destroys their town in 1871, 17-year-old Mary James forms a new respect for her older sister.
Published March 1st 1980 by Dodd Mead

To ask other readers questions about My Sister's Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Sister's Keeper

Thursday's Child by Noel StreatfeildJane-Emily by Patricia ClappFog Magic by Julia L. SauerMarianne Dreams by Catherine StorrA Stitch In Time by Penelope Lively
Obscure Children's Vintage Gems
130th out of 363 books — 90 voters
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareMara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGrawDaddy-Long-Legs by Jean WebsterTime Enough for Drums by Ann RinaldiAnne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery
Old-School Teen Historical Romance
154th out of 233 books — 97 voters

More lists with this book...

QNPoohBear
Mary James was forced to make a visit to her older sister Clara to help care for the children and assist Clara when her new baby comes. Mary doesn't get along with her fussy older sister and thinks her sister was lucky to catch a man like Ellery. Where Clara is tough and tart, Ellery is kind and fun. Mary's one consolation is that there is at least a new town of men to admire her beauty. One terrible night a fire rages through Peshtigo and Mary and her family are forced to run for their lives. E ...more
Chris
Dec 17, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
This book was a big favorite of mine when I was growing up. Being from Wisconsin, it had some local interest to me. In fact, several years ago, during a vacation to the upper peninsula of Michigan, we passed by Peshtigo and instead of bypassing the city on the highway, I made my husband drive through the center of town, and I saw the river, and the historical marker and imagined Mary and her family fleeing from the flames. On a whim recently, I reread a bunch of my favorite books from childhood, ...more
Tina Baird
Jan 25, 2015 Tina Baird rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book as a child late into the evening to finish. Did it again reading as an adult. Found myself gasping for air as
The characters were running into the river , away from the fire.
Linda Quarne-Hartman
Jul 10, 2008 Linda Quarne-Hartman rated it it was amazing
I go in streaks and lately have been reading about the Peshtigo fire. This story, written by a Wisconsin native is a fictional account of the fire but all the details are factual. A good older book about a tough subject. I actually read this the first time when I was 10 or 11 but as I said, I had just finished reading several books about the fire and faintly remembered reading this and decided to check it out again.
Kendall
Apr 24, 2008 Kendall rated it it was ok
while the benefactor portion is missing (broken for you), the perfect dialogue and composure of a Law and Order episode is rampant. The character by chapter approach was interesting but not convincing. most of the plot was simple at best, completely predictable BUT the climax was not what i expected so i will give the book two stars.
Karen
Jun 10, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense-a-grade
Read this book way back, but I loved it. Edge of my seat reading with the main character having to survive the big fire of Wisconsin by immersing in the river, ducking under and coming up to gap for air before going under again. I will never forget this scene from the book.
Phyllis
May 05, 2008 Phyllis rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book. It was very well written. I was interested in learning about Down Syndrome.
The plot of the book irritated me. It just wasn't believable to me, that a man could successfully take a newborn out of his wife's life unbeknownst to her.
Apr 28, 2008 Jennifer rated it did not like it
This book is awful! The author attempts to write in four different voices. She fails miserably. I did the unthinkable after forcing myself to finish this book. I threw it out. I will never read another book by this author.
Bonnie
May 05, 2008 Bonnie added it
Loved this book. It really makes you think about what you would do in that situation.
Heidi Peppers
Oct 02, 2012 Heidi Peppers rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this since I was I child, but I thought it was great then.
Emily
Sep 18, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
Ding Dong.
Stephanie Bloodworth
i am not quite done with it yet
Wendyb
Wendyb rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Jazmin
Jazmin rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Minaspv
Minaspv marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
J. Boo
J. Boo marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Dhiana Kv
Dhiana Kv rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
16backeop
16backeop marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Jan 29, 2016
D
D added it
Jan 16, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Jacqueline Helmrick
Jacqueline Helmrick rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2015
♪ Kim
♪ Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Cheryl Jetmore
Cheryl Jetmore marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Zoeeloise
Zoeeloise marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Audrey Ettinger
Audrey Ettinger marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Also known as
Beverly K. Olsen
Was married to Theodore Victor Olsen

Beverly was a native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and a long time resident of Rhinelander. Beverly had planned to be an artist, but an impending blindness impelled her to learn typing in order to rejoin her high school class. For practice, she began typing remembered stories which led to her inventing stories.
In 1954, she graduated cu
More about Beverly Butler...