Start by marking “Collected Stories Of Guy De Maupassant” as Want to Read:
Collected Stories Of Guy De Maupassant

Collected Stories Of Guy De Maupassant

Collected Stories of Guy de Maupassant is part of the  series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics: New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scho
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Collected Stories Of Guy De Maupassant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Stories Of Guy De Maupassant

A. J. McMahon
Nov 13, 2015 A. J. McMahon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guy de Maupassant is very likely the greatest short story writer who ever lived. His gift for capturing whole worlds in just a few pages is without equal. He had the most astonishing imagination allied to a perfect grasp of language. His writing is superbly disciplined, his visual sense is such that he can make you see the scenes he is describing in your mind's eye, and his sense of character is such that the people in his stories are living, breathing, believable characters. Nothing is perfect, ...more
Susan Kraus
Endles stories of seduction, and betrayal. Women are unfathomable playthings. I realize that he was writing about the culture and social set he was involved in, but it was all too much for me. He died of syphilis - I understand why.
Leo
Nov 10, 2016 Leo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh.

I don't see the hype. Ball-of-Fat is told well but, it lacks suspense. I love the social commentary but, it just didn't make it for me. Maupassant also uses sex as a plot device often. Nowadays, in this secular culture, what was once edgy, is now rather tame. Nothing worth reading. But, props for beautiful imagery and poetic language.
Tanya Morrison
Mar 22, 2014 Tanya Morrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfection of the short story. His ability to note what was going on around him is supreme. I realize that for an observant author every big or small event that occurs lends itself to the compactness of a story with a moral, a laugh, a comment, an unexpected outcome. Learning to guess the game of where a story is going is great fun with a master like Guy de Maupassant. Nothing more relaxing than a volume of best short stories.
Anukriti
Aug 10, 2014 Anukriti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book cannot be reviewed by mortals. I have read hundreds of short story collections- none quite as rich in variety and amazing in character portrayal as Maupassant's tales. I think I need to come up with a superlative for LOVE to describe what infinite reverence and affection I feel for the writer and his work.
Jul 25, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dora's book group selection January 2010.
Franz
Feb 13, 2011 Franz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love de Maupassant's stories: fun, insightful, a little naughty. One of my perennial favorites.
Courtney
Jan 18, 2015 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite short story author
Steven Pohl
Feb 13, 2015 Steven Pohl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guy de Maupassant is one of my most favorite short story authors. His writing is crisp, concise, imaginative and very poetic. I am very glad I stumbled upon him in college. Became an instant fan!
Ci
Jun 27, 2016 Ci marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
(Reading exercise in French. Only keeping track for learning process)

## Notes
6/27 L'âme étrangere.
Joann
Oct 27, 2014 Joann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fiction
Because I enjoy immersing myself in a fictional universe and living there a while, I am not a huge fan of short stories. These stories are very well written, of course.
Mike Thomas
Jan 07, 2015 Mike Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the work here. Read many translations of this wonderful author.
Mally
Jul 01, 2011 Mally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it. Paul's Mistress is probably among my favorite short stories, Maupassant is really an amazing writer. I wish I could read them in French!
Mischa
Mischa rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Gabriela Dontu
Gabriela Dontu rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2016
Helen Casey
Helen Casey rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Bonkers
Bonkers rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Roshima Mukund
Roshima Mukund rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2017
Smitha
Smitha rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2014
Adrian Stumpp
Adrian Stumpp rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2007
Raunaq Sahu
Raunaq Sahu rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Xoe
Xoe rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Melanie Hobbie
Melanie Hobbie rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Ferit
Ferit rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2017
Ceren Kılıç
Ceren Kılıç rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Mark Straka
Mark Straka rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Mihaela Popa
Mihaela Popa rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Reni
Reni rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Raul Reyes
Raul Reyes rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
  • Billy Budd and The Piazza Tales
  • The Human Comedy: Selected Stories
  • Silas Marner and Two Short Stories (Barnes  Noble Classics Series)
  • Notes from Underground, The Double and Other Stories (B&N Classics)
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
  • The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime: Con Artists, Burglars, Rogues, and Scoundrels from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Communist Manifesto and Other Writings
  • My Fantoms
  • Cures for Love  (Great Loves, #5)
  • Pudd'nhead Wilson and Other Tales (World's Classics)
  • Short Stories
  • The Turn of the Screw, The Aspern Papers and Two Stories (Barnes  Noble Classics Series)
  • Little Novels of Sicily
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • The Complete Illustrated Stories of Hans Christian Andersen
  • Give Me Liberty!: An American History, Volume 2
  • Aurélia
  • The Pat Hobby Stories
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i ...more
More about Guy de Maupassant...

“Any government has as much of a duty to avoid war as a ship's captain has to avoid a shipwreck."

[On Water]”
14 likes
“Since governments take the right of death over their people, it is not astonishing if the people should sometimes take the right of death over governments."

[On Water]”