Start by marking “Alligators and Crocodiles” as Want to Read:
Alligators and Crocodiles

Alligators and Crocodiles

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"Alligators and crocodiles are the world's largest reptiles and the closest living relatives of dinosaurs. Here is information about their different physical characteristics, and how they live, mate, and raise their young. Crocodilians have been around for millions of years and are now endangered."--Amazon.com.
Published May 1st 2010 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Alligators and Crocodiles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alligators and Crocodiles

Molly Thompson
In this non-fiction book, Gail Gibbons teaches readers expertly about the differences between alligators and crocodiles. This non-fiction text structure is compare and contrast. She makes an, often confusing, topic understandable through accurate illustrations, diagrams, and interesting writing. She compares the way that each animal raises their young, where they live, and what they look like. Her presentation of the information reads like a story. This book could easily be presented as a read a ...more
Allie
Gail Gibbons writes another childrens book with great information in an easy to read format for young readers! The text is easy to follow, Gibbons gives a bit of history on both the American Crocodile and the American Alligator. Information is given about the habitat, food, body, babies and what they are used for on both animals. The text compares the two animals and additional details are given in the pictures. I would keep this book in my classroom library for the students to read on their own ...more
Malinda
I LOVED this book! It is a GREAT nonfiction book about the Alligators and Crocodiles. To be honest, until I read this book I was not sure what the true differences were between the two of these reptiles. What I found so powerful about this books was all the factual information I found in it. The history about these reptiles dated back to the very beginning. The illustrations were nice as well! When reading this book--I actually learned a lot of new information I did not know.

This book would be
Sarah Collins
Book Title: Alligators and Crocodiles by Gail Gibbons (2010)

Description: The book begins by playing on our fear of alligators and crocodiles, describing one of these giant reptiles gliding through the water, slowly appearing above the surface. The majority of the book describes similarities between alligators and crocodiles. However, there are a few sections that describe differences. For example, we learn differences in their habitats, bodies, and nests.

Focus: Comparing and Contrasting: Studen
Elizabeth
Alligators and Crocodiles is about exactly what it seems like, Alligators and Crocodiles! Which is why for the twin text, I chose Amanda and Her Alligator by Mo Willems. I chose it because, 1) it is an ADORABLE book, not just a few pages are adorable, but ALL of them are adorable! and 2) because Amanda's friend/pet is an alligator! It doesn't incorporate any knowledge that we learned about alligators from Alligators and Crocodiles, but it does incorporate the alligator itself!
Hailee
I thought this book was extremely interesting. Gail Gibbons entices the reader by giving us facts about both crocodiles and alligators. Facts such as: what they eat, where they can be found, and how fast they can swim. I think this would be a good book to have when learning about reptiles, as well as just a book for interested students to read in their free time. I think it's a good fit because it gives you more information than you will probably learn about alligators and crocodiles in class. I ...more
Heather
I originally got this as part of our Australia study, but it mainly focused on American alligators and crocodiles. We read it anyway. In fact, my 4-yr-old had us read it to him every day for the last two weeks, at least once a day, sometimes more. Who knew it would be so fascinating to him?

The text and illustrations work well together to teach the differences and similarities of the two animals. It's easy enough for the elementary years, but could be used for middle school as well.

There is some
Trang
This is a great book to get information from. It has great content for researching and diagrams with labels. It's more appropriate for upper grades in elementary school, such as 4th and 5th. The illustrations are also great and offer a more kid-friendly feel then a typical informational book. I would use this book to demonstrate how writers label their drawings and pictures.
Lindsey
Like Tornadoes and Hurricanes by Gibbons, I am a fan of her work. Her illustrations do such a great job showing how alligators and crocodiles are similar and different. Her maps are great too! Who knew that alligators and crocodiles were around with the dinosaurs and their only known surviving relative? Dude. I didn't know that!

Randie
Gail Gibbons shares the differences between alligators and crocodiles in this informative nonfiction book. I have been confusing alligators for crocodiles and crocodiles for alligators for years, so this book was pretty interesting for me. I found the information on sensory pits to be the most interesting, I need to know more :).
Shantel
This book was suggested on a list of books for kids ages 3-6. In my opinion it wasn't appropriate for a 3 year old. It was too factual with no real story. Some of the details were also a little much for that age group. It would be a great book for older ages though.
Seth Lebaron

Lots and lots of information. Wonderful book. All of the side notes and messages make reading the book fun and entertaining. I would use this book in 1-3 grade for the students to study about animals or learn about animals in certain region.
Kymberly
Drawings are quite cheesy and supports evolution. Other than that it is great information and catches the eye.
Andrea Labonte
Great book.
Yuneidy
Yuneidy marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Elizabeth Gills
Elizabeth Gills marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Tabitha Rogers
Tabitha Rogers marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Brenda
Brenda added it
Sep 23, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Morgan Christie
Morgan Christie marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree From Seed to Plant The Moon Book The Pumpkin Book Apples