Start by marking “The Laughing Jesus: Religious Lies and Gnostic Wisdom” as Want to Read:
The Laughing Jesus: Religious Lies and Gnostic Wisdom

The Laughing Jesus: Religious Lies and Gnostic Wisdom

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  26 reviews
An Incendiary Wake-Up Call to the World
What if the Old Testament is a work of fiction, Jesus never existed, and Muhammad was a mobster?
What if the Bible and the Qur'an are works of political propaganda created by Taliban-like fundamentalists to justify the sort of religious violence we are witnessing in the world today?
What if there is a big idea that could free us from
Published June 27th 2006 by Three Rivers Press (CA) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Laughing Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Laughing Jesus

Ryan Sloan
I'm not a religious person, but I do think we can learn something from just about every religious tradition and philosophy. There were parts of this book I liked a lot, and there were some parts I didn't like so much.
Likes:
1. The historical look at some of the major religions was interesting (though see point 1 under dislikes)
2. I think the "imagine you were hearing this story for the first time" approach to some of the fantastical religious tales was an effective rhetorical device, but if it ha
Shavawn Berry
This is an amazing indictment of the literalist perspective on religion. Its scathing view of those who believe that the bible is a history book is palpable. Instead, Gandy and Freke encourage the Gnostic view of rejecting separateness and embracing oneness. The second half of the book on gnosis (awakening) is some of the most encouraging, heartening, lovely guidance I've read in a long while. This book offers spiritual solace to anyone who has been wandering the wasteland of modern life, search ...more
Chris
Nov 01, 2007 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This slim volume kept me entranced, it is one of those books I didn't want to put down. The authors present a very clear case for the hijacking of Gnostic Christianity by the power-hungry Roman church. Read this and you will learn how the modern "Christian" churches are based on 1500 years of lies, distortions, and mistranslations. The also veer into a discussion of Islam, how Muhammad's original message of submission to God gradually changed into a mission of domination, hatred, and opression.
Ally
This was a strange book -- like two books in one. It was a bit too sarcastic for me in the first half, though some good points were made. The second half was on the mystical side but had a little too much "big love" sprinkled in it, but I still enjoyed it. The second half is not something that would sit well with most academics--a definite audience for the first half. It's worth the time. I recommend it. An open mind is a must!
Blair Runde
Stopped reading the last half of the book. The first half I loved.
Nicole M
This book is split into two sections: The Bath Water and The Baby.

I found the first section to be an informative (if sometimes harsh) look at the kernels of truth that developed into many of our modern religious texts.

The second half of the book provides the author's perspective on gnostic wisdom. While thought provoking and philisophical, it seemed a bit hypocritic to write about a religion or philosophy after breaking down the myths behind most modern religions. At times I felt the authors we
Saturnina
A compact spiritual guide in favor of gnosticism/mysticism/hereticism/whatever-you-want-to-call-it and against literalism, which in my opinion is a brilliant word to describe all of religious stupidity, not just what is traditionally understood by fundamentalism. It is divided into two parts, firstly debunking literalist religion and secondly presenting the wisdom of gnostic spirituality. It also features some nice exercises to help waking up.

One thing I liked in particurlar was that spiritualit
Ellen Keener
One of the best books on spirituality I've read. Practices helpful as well. Tim Freke is a wonderful spiritual teacher.
Jon Yates
An excellent primer on the true history of Palestine and the religions that grew from that region that morphs halfway through into a gnostic self-help book (a commendable self-help book that many people could benefit from reading, but a self-help book nonetheless). Fascinating for the amount of time it concentrates on tossing out "The Bathwater", but "The Baby" bored me to tears with sentiments that should be obvious to anyone who has every dotted their tongue with some LSD-25 and a copy of "Be ...more
Rob Haas
It has a very interesting slant on Western religion which I still bring up from time to time when discussing religion.

Highly recommended for anyone struggling with spirituality.

Anyone interested in this should probably know a little bit about the old and new testaments as well as the Koran before reading it to get the most out of what the book is trying to get across. Its a little difficult and dry at times but overall it was a winner once you get through the tougher parts.

Charuga
Currently reading, it's the last in Freke & Randy's books on Gnostic Christianity BEFORE they wrote the Gospel of the Second Coming.

I find it so thought provoking my book has all these notes in the margins. It answers a lot of questions I've had about the Bible, and has helped me understand the Bible better as an allegory instead of a literal account of history. After I'm done, I'll have to re-read the Gospel to catch all the nuances and references.
Morgana
This book shows Jesus of Nazareth in a whole new light. It explains early gnostic wisdom taught by Jesus that has been lost over the ages. For me, this book puts more of a human face on Jesus and it makes a lot of sense. It talks about how the Catholic church has twisted Jesus's words to suit their own agenda, as most christain religions tend to do.
Lisa
T. Freke had me thinking & wondering again over another one of his books. Strong stuff, could be offensive to the sensitive Christian. Although I do not agree with all things he covers (is he THAT sure that the man named Jesus (Yeshua) never existed?) i do so appreciate his passion for gnosticism.
Carey
Don't throw out the Baby with the Bathwater! The authors differentiate between the political manipulations of classic spiritual texts and the "Baby", or the Gnostic truths. Written for a layperson, it is a great introduction or expansion on Gnostic thought. Very enjoyable.
Sally
The first few chapters point out the absurdities, doctrinal and hsitorical, of the major monotheistic faiths and their texts before the authors turn to the teachings of gnostic wisdom. These are discussed in contemporary terms, with inspiration and enthusiasm.
Paige
Not for those who get their panties in a twist over religion...starts out very strong and historically interesting...becomes quite a bit overly cerebral and touchy-feely by the end, but overall message is a good one.
Martin  Rivas
I have not finished but I'll give this a 5 star because I agree with it and the language is so easy to understand. If I could just get Osam Ben Ladin and George Bush to read this we could all start over.
Sarah Pangloss
Being a huge fan of Freke - and absolutely loving his other books - I found this book somewhat of a letdown. The content is excellent, but the writing and organziation is not up to par.
Robert

The first part is quite a rant. The second part is worth the read. See the 5-star review.
Fascinating. I truly recommend this book to everyone. Wipe the cobwebs off your brain and think for yourself!
Amy
An interesting description of how the judeo-christian religions have evolved to where they are today.
Kym
Not a book for those who believe literally or not willing to stretch a little with an open mind.
Sally
It's about what's real, as opposed to what's written. Amazing
John Mathis
I like this Jesus a hell of a lot more than the one I grew up with!
Jake Maguire
Lost this book before finishing it. I was liking it a lot.
Susan Janke
Don't let the title throw you off...this is a great read.
Steven
Steven is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2015
Shadreck Wamambo
Shadreck Wamambo marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins
  • Adam, Eve, and the Serpent: Sex and Politics in Early Christianity
  • Omens of the Millennium: The Gnosis of Angels, Dreams & Resurrection
  • The Pagan Christ: Recovering the Lost Light
  • The Jesus Dynasty: The Hidden History of Jesus, His Royal Family and the Birth of Christianity
  • Gnostic Gospels: Including the Gospel of Thomas - The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
  • Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman
  • Not in His Image: Gnostic Vision, Sacred Ecology, and the Future of Belief
  • The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
  • Gnosis: The Nature and History of Gnosticism
  • The Secrets of Judas: The Story of the Misunderstood Disciple & His Lost Gospel
  • 101 Myths of the Bible: How Ancient Scribes Invented Biblical History
  • The Celtic Book of Living and Dying: The Illustrated Guide to Celtic Wisdom
  • The Gospel of Judas
Timothy Freke has an honors degree in philosophy and is the author of more than twenty books on world spirituality. He lectures and runs experiential seminars throughout the world exploring gnosis. For information, see timothyfreke.com. Both Freke and Gandy live in England and are the authors of five previous books, including The Jesus Mysteries and Jesus and the Lost Goddess.
More about Timothy Freke...
The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians The Hermetica Lucid Living: A Book You Can Read in an Hour That Will Turn Your World Inside Out The Gospel of the Second Coming