Start by marking “Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book” as Want to Read:
Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
Preview

Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  3,080 ratings  ·  102 reviews
How many kisses does a tired baby need? Count and kiss

along with this bedtime book, now in a sturdy format perfect for the youngest readers.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Counting Kisses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counting Kisses

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Childhood Picture Books
137th out of 327 books — 369 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Shapes Las Formas by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
The All-Time Best Books for Toddlers
62nd out of 93 books — 115 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Sweet and cozy little story about all the kisses it takes before baby falls asleep--from ten little kisses on ten little toes to two kisses on each eye. It's nice as we see Mom, Dad, Grandma and Big Sis/Bro all showering the baby with love.
Deserae
This is a sweet book to read with students at the facility students can think about the wonderful exeperiences they have at home with their love ones kissing them goodnight and showing them that they love them and will see them in the morning. It is also a good book to read with students learning numbers from 10to1.
Kendrick Goodman
Counting Kisses by Karen Katz is the ideal book for parents to read to their young children. It helps teach the children how to count starting from 10, making your way down, but it also provides ample opportunities for a parent to kiss their child. Counting books are especially important for children around the age of 2, as they are just now starting to have mini conversations. This book is not a straight up, boring book that teaches children about counting. Instead this book makes reading inter ...more
Meg McGregor
A beautiful book that celebrates all the type of kisses your little baby can receive.

I love how it is a counting book too.

It is so cute to see "A kiss & read book" on the cover!

There are so many types of kisses mentioned too!

There are laughing kisses, squishy kisses, loud kisses, tickly kisses, quick kisses, warm kisses, fuzzy kisses, gentle kisses, and last kiss.

A very sweet book.

I have read this so many times! I can't believe I haven't reviewed it till now.
paperdollmom
This is a really cute counting book for very young ones. It goes through the numbers 1-10, with parents giving their baby so many kisses on parts of the baby, such as on her nose or hands. It is one of those books where the parent can really make it interactive if they choose to. This can be a super fun book through the toddler years. the illustrations are very colorful as well.

Example quote: "eight squishy kisses on chubby, yummy knees"

Teaching opportunity: This is, of course, a book that opens
Jessalyn Collins
“Counting Kisses” is a counting book about how many kisses it takes to make a baby fall asleep. The story starts from ten and describes how all the members of the family give baby goodnight kisses as it counts down on each page. This book is cute and is very appropriate for preschool aged children (especially ones who are having trouble sleeping at nap time). Parents can read this story to their kids before bedtime and they could act it out together by giving your child the correct number of kis ...more
Maura
This is a great book for helping children learn how to count. I love how this book ties in body parts with counting. I son loves to look at this book and count along with this book. This book is so sweet and feels my heart with joy. This is a great bedtime story to read to your kid as well. I know it will put a smile on your face and your kids face.
Barbara
Counting kisses is a great book for young children. This book is about a mother and her crying tired baby, she counts kisses, 10 on her toes, 9 on her feet and so on and so forth. This book is so sweet and will remind anyone of there own mother. This book is a great tool for parents or teachers. It helps the child count as well as a great book for parents to say I love you. I think the appropriate audience for this book would be children just starting out in preschool or kindergarden and up. Thi ...more
Victoria Avonlea
This was cute as was Mommy Hugs and makes a good bedtime story. However, we are just myself and my daughter so the depictions of Daddy, sibling, pets, etc. meant that it didn't really suit us. Of course at my daughter's age right now that's no barrier to enjoying the book but I wouldn't bother with it again for that reason.
Wench
So cute - a family puts a tired baby to bed via a kiss countdown. The family includes what looks like a mother, father, grandmother, sibling, cat and dog. The family is definitely white. And I have yet to figure out how I can be the one both reading the book AND kissing the baby at the same time.
Mary
We read this at a Valentine's story time, but it would also be a great bedtime story. I love Karen Katz's big, round baby faces, and the fact that her babies are so racially and ethnically diverse. Yay babies!
Aishe
A fun book for little kids. I recommend memorizing it and letting the little person hold the book while you act out the story. Lots of giggles will ensue. It may be too exciting for bedtime!
Jill Connors
Publication:2003
Themes/Subjects: counting, number concepts
Usage:Toddler-K
Help toddlers and pre-k students develop number concepts and body parts
Genre: counting book

Amelia
A big favorite at bedtime with mamãe. Counting down from 10 to 1 with increasing quietness and softness to each kiss really seems to help my daughter wind down for sleep.
Adrienne
This is a sweet little book showing all the kisses a baby will need before she falls asleep--and all the kisses her family needs to give her before they put her to bed.
RC
Counting Kisses is a sweet bedtime story between family members and baby. The book can help baby start to learn numbers by counting the kisses.

Angela Chadbourne
Baby and Toddler storytime kiss your baby from toes to head. Great for teaching baby body part vocabulary and getting parents involved.
Brooke
Cute counting book with interaction. You can count the kissy noises you make & show the body parts.
Liz
It's ok. Good art, but she's not really taken to it. She likes other counting books much better.
Kayla Lutz
This is a cute counting book that asks the question, "How many kisses does it take to say goodnight?" Overall, I enjoyed this book because of it's vibrant illustrations on each page. Each page was attributed it's own number, counting down from 10. Along with each number, each page had a coordinating number of hearts, which I really liked. Also, children can definitely relate to this story because it involves people and objects similar to their own lives (parents, grandparents, siblings, pets). I ...more
Ruby
This is a great book to read to 1-2 year olds while they are getting ready for a nap or bed. It is even a great counting book for any occasion. The pages are durable enough to keep out for toddler's library. It is a great way to count down starting at 10. The author counts kisses in a creative way where children can relate numbers to life experiences. It easier for younger children to understand.

Extension activity: Children can practice one to one correspondence with flash cards that have number
Pam
Charming book, great pictures and fun to act out as you go along.
Annalise
Good book, but a little long for little ones.
Meagan Martin
This is a counting board book about how many kisses it takes to make baby fall asleep. The story counts down from ten and describes how all the members of the family give baby goodnight kisses. I loved this book and I think it is great for toddlers, especially ones who are having trouble going to bed. This story would be great to read before bedtime and you could act it out together by giving your child the correct number of kisses on each page. Not only is it a sweet story, but it also helps th ...more
Lori
A nice bedtime book for babies.
Emily
Catherine loved this one!
Katharine Snyder
This book, "Counting Kisses" by Karen Katz was an adorable book to introduce numbers to small children. The book goes through numbers one through ten(actually it goes from ten to one) and has different amount of kisses for each number to make the baby feel better. This would be a good book for mom's or dad's to read with their kids and even be able to kiss their childs "ten tiny toes" for example to provide an example of the number ten in a new way! This book was very cute and fun to read and lo ...more
Morgan
This is a precious little book about getting a baby to fall asleep. It starts out with a fussy baby that does not want to go to bed. Then the baby starts getting kisses by all her family, even her dog. By the end of the book the baby is fast asleep. It is a cute children's book for really young age toddlers. I think it is a great book for kids that are learning to count because the amount of kisses increases by one on each page. It is pretty adorable that all the kisses puts the fussy little bab ...more
Jo Oehrlein
OK as a going to bed book, but not really a good counting book unless the parent kisses along with the book.

Because it's based on counting kisses on different body parts, there's no way for the illustration to show the kisses. So, no one-to-one correspondence exploration in the book itself. The words in the book don't prompt the parent to count 1, 2, 3, 4, .... as they kiss, either.

Probably best for learning to identify different parts of the body.
Connie
First, let me say from the top that this book is physically well-constructed. Strong pages, durable binding. Can't get better than that.

Each page has one sentence on it, counting down from ten kisses at the start to one kiss at the end. They also have (though this is subtle) a number of hearts corresponding to the number of kisses.

Very short, very simple, very sweet and (if you don't go overboard with your own kissing) very calm.
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star: And Other Favorite Bedtime Rhymes
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
  • I Love You As Much...
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena ...more
More about Karen Katz...
Where Is Baby's Belly Button? The Colors of Us Daddy Hugs A Potty for Me! Where Is Baby's Mommy?: A Karen Katz Lift-the-Flap Book