Start by marking “Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book” as Want to Read:
Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book

Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  4,003 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
How many kisses does a tired baby need? Count and kiss

along with this bedtime book, now in a sturdy format perfect for the youngest readers.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Counting Kisses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counting Kisses

Kathryn
Jan 27, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Sweet and cozy little story about all the kisses it takes before baby falls asleep--from ten little kisses on ten little toes to two kisses on each eye. It's nice as we see Mom, Dad, Grandma and Big Sis/Bro all showering the baby with love.
Sarah (Books Before Bandaids)
Oct 12, 2016 Sarah (Books Before Bandaids) rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
A counting book that is sweet and engaging
Deserae
This is a sweet book to read with students at the facility students can think about the wonderful exeperiences they have at home with their love ones kissing them goodnight and showing them that they love them and will see them in the morning. It is also a good book to read with students learning numbers from 10to1.
Felicia Moore
Nov 21, 2015 Felicia Moore rated it really liked it
like reading to baby girl
Jan 03, 2017 Laura rated it liked it
Great for a babytime, with very little ones. Have parents give little kisses to their infant/young one as you read the descriptions in the book. Probably won't translate over to toddler or preschool storytimes very well, though.
Amanda Whitaker
Mar 03, 2017 Amanda Whitaker rated it liked it
Counting Kisses by Karen Katz is an adorable book that was given to my baby girl before she was born. It is a great counting book for babies, and the illustrations are bright and colorful. We read to our children before bed, and Counting Kisses is a wonderful way to calm down the baby before bed.
Ms. Jeane
Feb 23, 2017 Ms. Jeane rated it liked it
Very sweet book :) I think this is a good one to read to your kids and can be very interactive and make your kids really enjoy storytimes!
kim
cute! but it makes me want to kiss the baby and it's hard to kiss her knees and chin and eyes, etc, while she is sitting on my lap!
Michelle Turnure
Jan 14, 2017 Michelle Turnure rated it really liked it
Very cute book with bright, large and simple illustrations of family members playing with a baby and counting. On the left side of each page, there is basic text and numbers counting down from 10-1. This is a nice book to read before tucking your little one to bed.
Ashley Polansky
My tired
Little baby,
Do you need
A kiss?
Brief Book Summary: This story is about a tired, crying baby. In order to make the baby stop crying, the family helps by giving her kisses on different body parts. By the end of the story the baby is nice and calm and is ready to go to sleep.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Carolyn Mott Ford (Children’s Litera
Angie Figueroa
Feb 18, 2017 Angie Figueroa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
A $7 book that I got for $1 at Walmarts Valentine's Day clearance aisle.

I love how adorable this book is. I can't wait to someday read these books to my kids.
Dave Lester
Dec 19, 2016 Dave Lester rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
"Counting Kisses" is a cheesy and poorly illustrated children's book that has the reader counting the kisses on a baby's foot, knee, forehead, etc. There is no plot. I supposed the only benefit of reading this book is that it can help kids learn to count due to the repetitive nature of counting the kisses but there are far better books which will help children do that.
paperdollmom
Oct 24, 2013 paperdollmom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a really cute counting book for very young ones. It goes through the numbers 1-10, with parents giving their baby so many kisses on parts of the baby, such as on her nose or hands. It is one of those books where the parent can really make it interactive if they choose to. This can be a super fun book through the toddler years. the illustrations are very colorful as well.

Example quote: "eight squishy kisses on chubby, yummy knees"

Teaching opportunity: This is, of course, a book that opens
Jessalyn Collins
Oct 04, 2012 Jessalyn Collins rated it liked it
“Counting Kisses” is a counting book about how many kisses it takes to make a baby fall asleep. The story starts from ten and describes how all the members of the family give baby goodnight kisses as it counts down on each page. This book is cute and is very appropriate for preschool aged children (especially ones who are having trouble sleeping at nap time). Parents can read this story to their kids before bedtime and they could act it out together by giving your child the correct number of kis ...more
Barbara
Counting kisses is a great book for young children. This book is about a mother and her crying tired baby, she counts kisses, 10 on her toes, 9 on her feet and so on and so forth. This book is so sweet and will remind anyone of there own mother. This book is a great tool for parents or teachers. It helps the child count as well as a great book for parents to say I love you. I think the appropriate audience for this book would be children just starting out in preschool or kindergarden and up. Thi ...more
Kendrick Goodman
Apr 15, 2014 Kendrick Goodman rated it really liked it
Shelves: counting
Counting Kisses by Karen Katz is the ideal book for parents to read to their young children. It helps teach the children how to count starting from 10, making your way down, but it also provides ample opportunities for a parent to kiss their child. Counting books are especially important for children around the age of 2, as they are just now starting to have mini conversations. This book is not a straight up, boring book that teaches children about counting. Instead this book makes reading inter ...more
Zoraya Brown
Jun 19, 2015 Zoraya Brown rated it liked it
Shelves: numbers
I would use this book to teach number sequence and body parts. I would have children point to and move each body part mentioned in the story. On another occasion we would discuss the order of numbers by saying what number was on each page and recalling how many were on the one before. I would include a number activity with this book of the body part children feel they move or use the most and counting how many they have. This story is also a great way for children to reflect on and discuss the t ...more
Ruby
Feb 11, 2012 Ruby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: counting
This is a great book to read to 1-2 year olds while they are getting ready for a nap or bed. It is even a great counting book for any occasion. The pages are durable enough to keep out for toddler's library. It is a great way to count down starting at 10. The author counts kisses in a creative way where children can relate numbers to life experiences. It easier for younger children to understand.

Extension activity: Children can practice one to one correspondence with flash cards that have number
Katharine Snyder
Sep 13, 2012 Katharine Snyder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: counting-book
This book, "Counting Kisses" by Karen Katz was an adorable book to introduce numbers to small children. The book goes through numbers one through ten(actually it goes from ten to one) and has different amount of kisses for each number to make the baby feel better. This would be a good book for mom's or dad's to read with their kids and even be able to kiss their childs "ten tiny toes" for example to provide an example of the number ten in a new way! This book was very cute and fun to read and lo ...more
Morgan
Dec 01, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nanny
This is a precious little book about getting a baby to fall asleep. It starts out with a fussy baby that does not want to go to bed. Then the baby starts getting kisses by all her family, even her dog. By the end of the book the baby is fast asleep. It is a cute children's book for really young age toddlers. I think it is a great book for kids that are learning to count because the amount of kisses increases by one on each page. It is pretty adorable that all the kisses puts the fussy little bab ...more
Kayla Lutz
Sep 12, 2012 Kayla Lutz rated it really liked it
This is a cute counting book that asks the question, "How many kisses does it take to say goodnight?" Overall, I enjoyed this book because of it's vibrant illustrations on each page. Each page was attributed it's own number, counting down from 10. Along with each number, each page had a coordinating number of hearts, which I really liked. Also, children can definitely relate to this story because it involves people and objects similar to their own lives (parents, grandparents, siblings, pets). I ...more
Meagan Martin
Sep 21, 2009 Meagan Martin rated it it was amazing
This is a counting board book about how many kisses it takes to make baby fall asleep. The story counts down from ten and describes how all the members of the family give baby goodnight kisses. I loved this book and I think it is great for toddlers, especially ones who are having trouble going to bed. This story would be great to read before bedtime and you could act it out together by giving your child the correct number of kisses on each page. Not only is it a sweet story, but it also helps th ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Dec 08, 2013 Jo Oehrlein rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
OK as a going to bed book, but not really a good counting book unless the parent kisses along with the book.

Because it's based on counting kisses on different body parts, there's no way for the illustration to show the kisses. So, no one-to-one correspondence exploration in the book itself. The words in the book don't prompt the parent to count 1, 2, 3, 4, .... as they kiss, either.

Probably best for learning to identify different parts of the body.
Bree Bosse
Mar 18, 2010 Bree Bosse rated it really liked it
This book is cute for younger children. It is about the love between a baby and caregivers and it goes through the book counting kisses (1-10) on different parts of the babies body from different family members- would be great for a bedtime story for a toddler especially if they are having trouble going to bed. Themes present in this book are first and foremost LOVE, body parts, and counting (numbers 1-10). The illustrations are beautiful :)
Connie
Jun 27, 2008 Connie rated it it was amazing
First, let me say from the top that this book is physically well-constructed. Strong pages, durable binding. Can't get better than that.

Each page has one sentence on it, counting down from ten kisses at the start to one kiss at the end. They also have (though this is subtle) a number of hearts corresponding to the number of kisses.

Very short, very simple, very sweet and (if you don't go overboard with your own kissing) very calm.
Kasey Hughes
Oct 08, 2012 Kasey Hughes rated it liked it
This book would be a great book to have for a tired baby. The book shows how a baby is tired and struggling to get to bed and the mother is cuddling with her child and kisses the child throughout. This book would be cute if the mother or reader actually gave the child the kisses throughout the book, or else it would not be as signifigant. This book is very cute, but targets only a specific time to read to a child.
Libby
Mar 05, 2013 Libby is currently reading it
This picture book helps a child between the ages of 2-3 develop speech and language with its use of repetitive text. Counting Kisses encourages a child to practice of talking and playing. A caregiver can use the book to discuss the concept of numbers, making it an interactive experience by playing with the child and having them count out kisses. A 2-3 year old child’s print motivation, vocabulary and narrative skills are promoted with this book.
Rachel
Dec 04, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
at first I thought this was a dumb book - a counting board book without physical objects for little fingers to count?? but my two year old adores it and by reading it a zillion times and watching her lovingly stroke the pictures of the baby and ask about who was holding baby in each picture (mom! sister!) I realized its a meditation on ways a family shows they love even a sleepy crying baby. it has taught her great things!
Alex Housman
Sep 29, 2016 Alex Housman rated it liked it
I liked this book for a parent and child to read, it reminds me of my mother. The illustrations are a little stiff, but still good. The only difference I noticed from this book verses other counting picture books is that there are also words, not just numbers. An example, "Six tickly kisses on baby's dimpled chin," followed by six hearts, the number six, and an illustration of a mother and baby. I did enjoy this read, though.
Meg McGregor
Feb 12, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book that celebrates all the type of kisses your little baby can receive.

I love how it is a counting book too.

It is so cute to see "A kiss & read book" on the cover!

There are so many types of kisses mentioned too!

There are laughing kisses, squishy kisses, loud kisses, tickly kisses, quick kisses, warm kisses, fuzzy kisses, gentle kisses, and last kiss.

A very sweet book.

I have read this so many times! I can't believe I haven't reviewed it till now.
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
  • Trains
  • Yummy Yucky
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star: And Other Favorite Bedtime Rhymes
  • Here Are My Hands
  • 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
  • That's Not My Dinosaur (Usborne Touchy-Feely Books)
  • Ten Little Fingers
  • Two at the Zoo
  • How Do You Make a Baby Smile?
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • Belly Button Book (Boynton on Board)
  • Roar!: A Noisy Counting Book
  • I Kissed the Baby!
  • Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena ...more
More about Karen Katz...