Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)

Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives From God's Word)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Where are great leaders like Elijah today? Uncompromisingly strong, yet self-controlled. Disciplined, yet forgiving. Audaciously courageous, yet kind. Heroic in the heat of battle, yet humble in the aftermath.

We see a few such men and women, but the list is tragically short. Rarely does someone model these invaluable traits more obviously than God's mighty prophet Elijah,...more
Published October 3rd 2000 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Elijah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elijah

KDNH
Yet another wonderful read by Charles Swindoll! Reading these books remind me of what my grandmother used to tell me. When I was in the 10-12 year old range, I read a lot of R.L. Stine novels (Fear Street series, anyone?) And my grandmother, a devout Christian with G rated thoughts, used to ask me, “Why don’t you read some nicer books like animal stories or biographies?” At the time that just sounded horrendous. But the older I get, the more I really do enjoy both! haha (Guess my Nana was on to...more
Clara Roberts
Although I have read the Story of Elijah many times, the Bible became fresh again as I read Swindoll's Character study of Elijah. When Elijah is taken up in a whirlwind and Elisha cries, "My Father! My Father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel." This was a capsule of the life of Elijah. Swindoll speaks of Elijah's despondancy, his discouagement, and his depression. "God looks for special people at difficult times and God's methods are often surpristing and we all stand before God." These are s...more
Lori
Elijah is a character that provides hope for all of us in that he is a common man; unexceptional in most every way, as are most of us.

But, at the same time he is discouraging: would I be unhesitant in following the Lord's seemingly nonsensical commands like Elijah was? Would I be brave when squaring off with the wicked king of Israel, challenging his idols, dualing spiritually with his 'god' and slaying that god's priests? I wonder.

I do know that I would like God to give me the same 'thumbs up'...more
Dan Curnutt
I really enjoyed reading this. Chuck does a great job in capturing not just the life of Elijah but then helping the reader (me) put into practical terms how I should apply the lessons Elijah learned to my own life.

I was particularly moved by the thought about how Elijah could get the best of 450 prophets of Baal, succeed in his contest with them, be at the top of his game emotionally and spiritually but then plunge into the depths of depression.

It gave me much to think about. It is a quick read...more
Frank
I have been looking forward to reading this series and received this book for my last birthday. Elijah is one my favorite OT characters and the showdown at Mt. Carmel one of my favorite passages. I would have liked some more in depth analysis regarding some of the events in Elijah's life, but will look for other books to fill in those desires.
Tiffany  Ashcraft
i really enjoy all of charles swindoll's great lives books. i liked that this particular book had more scripture than the others i have read. at the same time, this book probably had less personal reflection which i missed. overall, the book was great but esther and david are better:)
Ireine Roosdy
After I read this book I was ascertained to name my baby boy Elijah. I prayed he would take the full humanity of Prophet Elijah's service, be of full bravery in faith, yet humble enough to admit insecurity only to God in person.
Emily
Elijah was pretty good, but the author didn't expand on some of the parts of Elijah's life I was most interested in like the part where he runs for cover after Jezebel threatens to kill him.
Jobe
My review isn't going to be very good. Are you ready? This book was really good. I enjoyed it immensely and encourage you to check out all of Swindoll's books in this series. The End.
I loved reading about Elijah. I feel that I spend so much time reading the New Testament that it was very refreshing to read about the life of someone in the Old Testament.
Kelly
A great book about a great man. Very informative while applying Biblical concepts to everyday life. I highly recommend this book & hope to read others in the series.
Bibleteacher
This book was a good read. Reading about Elijah, a great prophet of God. The Author used scripture and that is essential.
Doris
Powerful! Insightful! Want to read more books on Biblical characters.
Darrell
A really good look inside the life of this great man.
Christian Saputra
Too many repetitions; but still considered OK.
Dolphin
Holly
Holly added it
Jul 30, 2014
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Seth Woodley
Seth Woodley marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Baconpepperonion
Baconpepperonion marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • Twelve Unlikely Heroes: How God Commissioned Unexpected People in the Bible and What He Wants to Do with You
  • Surprised By Grace: God's Relentless Pursuit Of Rebels
  • Introduction to Biblical Interpretation
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • The Practice of Godliness
  • The Body
  • Absolute Surrender
  • The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
  • The Three Battlegrounds: An In-Depth View of the Three Arenas of Spiritual Warfare: The Mind, the Church and the Heavenly Places
  • Captured by Grace: No One Is Beyond the Reach of a Loving God
  • Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free
  • Fresh Faith: What Happens When Real Faith Ignites God's People
  • A Theology of the New Testament
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • The Hidden Smile of God
  • 50 People Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Spiritual Giants of the Faith
  • Hitler's Cross: The Revealing Story of How the Cross of Christ was Used as a symbol of  the Nazi Agenda
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...
The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another. David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1) Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2) Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)