Start by marking “Catalogue of Death (A Miss Zukas Mystery, #10)” as Want to Read:
Catalogue of Death (A Miss Zukas Mystery, #10)

Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas #10)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  40 reviews

At last, construction begins on a new library for Bellehaven, a gift of Franklin Harrington, scion of old Bellehaven money, and one of the locally famous Harrington triplets. But when a freak snowstorm hits, Bellehaven is brought to its knees. Not so Miss Helma Zukas who is at her post, dispensing library information, overseeing wayward employees, and soothing a busload of

Published (first published March 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Catalogue of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catalogue of Death

Susan
The first 100 pages or so were pretty boring with very little movement toward solving the mystery. I found myself getting annoyed with Helma Zukas, the librarian detective, although I've enjoyed her character in previous books. This time, I just found her rigid and seemingly unwilling to grow. The solution to the mystery was a little vague as well and I had to re-read parts of the last chapter to fully understand it.
Ann
Dec 22, 2007 Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: librarians
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Probably the best Miss Zukas story yet. I wonder if people who aren't familiar with librarians and libraries really get the humor?
Hannah
In a world where light mysteries such as this one are consistently falling in grammatical standards, "Catalogue of Death" is a welcome breather. It is, I suppose, fitting that a book about a prim librarian should at least have decent grammar and spelling, but I've ceased to be surprised at the horrors that await me if I dare to read most amateur detective novels. Jo Dereske should be applauded (or her editor should receive a pay rise).

That aside, "Catalogue of Death" is an amusing read. Someone...more
Beth
What an odd book--I liked all the other characters more than the main character, whom I detested. She's boring, uptight, judgmental, and humorless. I'm not sure she's even very convincing as a character. I thought perhaps that she'd eventually crack and show a sliver of humanity (e.g., she'd have sex with one of the two guys interested in her, she'd drink more than two sips of alcohol, she'd make a joke or laugh at someone else's, she'd swear [but no it's "Faulkner" or nothing--ugh]), but nope,...more
A.J.
I enjoy detective stories and love libraries, so thought this might be a good choice. I did keep reading until the end, but I didn't really enjoy the story that much. Helma Zukas just wasn't all that engaging as a main character - obsessively clean and tidy, with odd objections to certain things: pointing indoors, for example. And why give a cat house room if you won't even touch it and can't bring yourself to wear an item of clothing with a cat hair on it?
Marti
This is one of those books that is fun to read--you don't have to think about it much, though there are some serious parts. The two deaths occur early in the book. Helma Zukas, a librarian of Lithuanian heritage is an interesting person--very intelligent and animal loving, though the cat she supports is not allowed inside her apartment--she feeds him, but has no bathroom facilities for him. She is a good friend to Ruth, the artist and likes to find out why and how things happen. She even has a m...more
Spuddie
#10 Miss Zukas mystery in which a snowstorm hits the usually temperate Bellehaven and during the storm, an explosion kills an elderly man who was the library's benefactor, he having donated the land for the new library. Or did he? Miss Zukas finds out through her investigation that there was no written agreement and now his family are squabbling over the land which his brothers had wanted developed for condominiums.

Enjoyable visit to Bellehaven with Helma, Ruth and the rest of the gang.
Kyrie
Miss Zukas investigates the death of the man who was giving the library a new building site. Ms. Moon forced her into it, but let's face it, it doesn't take much effort to get Miss Zukas to check into things.

Her relationship with Wayne Gallant picks up, but Boyd Bishop is interested, too.

I came away with the impression that this tale existed mostly to move things along in the series, kind of like a middle book in a trilogy. It's still good, just not my favorite.
Linda
When it snows in Bellehaven (think Bellingham), only essential city services remain open. And that, of course, means the library. As soon as Miss Zukas opens the library's doors, people come in and set up camp for the day. And of course there's a murder (although it isn't in the library). I adore these mysteries, and I aspire to be more like Helma Zukas, because everyone knows you don't want to mess with the librarian ...
Susan
A snowstorm stops everything in Bellehaven except Helma Zukas opening the library, and a murder. The dead man, who visited the library just before an explosion killed him, was a library benefactor who donated land for a new building. But he never signed the papers, and now his family wants to renege on the deal. Helma must explore his tangled family and the even more tangled past before finding who was responsible.
Chi Dubinski
The Bellehaven Library starts a construction project, with funds donated by local old money scion Franklin Harrington. But a freak snowstorm hits Bellehaven, and Miss Zukas holds down the fort at the library, dispensing books, information, and tending to a busload of stranded passengers. A sudden explosion destroys the library, kills Harrington and a city finance officer, and Miss Zukas is determined to investigate.
Barbra
Jan 06, 2009 Barbra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of cozy mysteries
Shelves: mystery
A diligent Dewey decimalist, Miss Wilhelmina Zukas believes in doing everything by the book. This is a loving sendup of the stereotype of the prim librarian. Miss Zukas is not fond of cats, but has rescued one and named him Boy Cat Zukas he is not fond of her either, but they tolerate each other to the readers amusement. This is an easy read and full of tongue in the cheek humor.
Grey853
I normally like books about librarians, but the main character of this one, Helma Zukas is one cold fish. She's got a cat, but has never even touched it. She's very duty-minded, but at the same time isolated by that attitude. Nobody ever really measures up. I guess the real problem for me was I didn't like Helma very much and that affected my enjoyment of the mystery.
Babs
Fun, light read for a change of pace but not the best Zukas mystery. A heavy snowstorm hits Bellehaven but dedicated public librarian Helga Zukas skis into work. Despite the town being shutdown due to the storm, a few folks trickle in and out but next thing you know KABOOM! The mystery solving begins for Helma and her sidekick Ruth.
Lindig
This was a re-read for me and, sadly, I didn't like it as much as I did. Miss Zukas, librarian extraordinaire, is precise and logical and intelligent and resourceful -- to a fault. Once I found her quirky and tolerable; now I find her irritating and am glad she's not real so I don't have to deal with her.
Ryan Mishap
The first couple are a delight, as you get acquainted with the characters, the fictional town, and the excitement at having uncovered a new mystery series. As the series grows, however, you have a harder time recalling why you liked these so much, they remain a solid three, okay for eternity.
Christine
Another great book for the beach. Helma and Ruth work together and solve the mystery behind Franklin Harrington's death. I read this book out of order but it doesn't make much difference. Some references to past episode with Helma and Wayne but doesn't matter to main story line.
Barbara
Another delightful diversion into the world of Bellehaven and Miss Zukas' library-centric adventures. As usual there is a bit of history revealed, and the hint of love / competition for the attentions of our favorite police chief.

Loved it, as I have the whole series.
Carol
As a former librarian, I do appreciate the digs at the librarian stereotypes, but Miss Zukas is just TOO prim and unrealistic for me. Thankfully, I don't know any librarians who fit the stereotype very much. (Well, maybe one...) I'd much rather hang out with Ruth.
Connie
When a blizzard shuts down Bellehaven, Helma shows up for work in time to provide a warm place for a dozen Chinese gambler-ladies, and to be the last to speak to library benefactor, Franklin Harrington, before he blows up.
Judith
Having just read a bunch of more serious books, I'm re-reading this paper back. I live in Bellingham ("Bellhaven") and it's fun reading a book set in familiar territory. All of Dereske's books are good for a easy, relaxing read.
Cris
The main character, Helma Zukas, seemed more like a caricuture of a librarian than a real person. I enjoyed the setting the most because I've visited the Pacific Northwest and it was fun to read about places I'd seen.
Mary Newcomb
Helma Zukas, librarian extraordinaire, helps to untangle a murder and issues pertaining to a new library. Whenever there are triplets named Franklin, Delano and Roosevelt you know there will be an intriguing tale.
Maria
Being a librarian is the best of all careers. I love reading about strong, smart librarians like Miss Zukas. I hope Ms Dereske will write more books on my favorite librarian sleuth.
Laurie
In a rare snowstorm, our librarian Helma deals with stranded patrons, strange behavior by staff, and the death by explosion of a wealthy patron who was giving land for a new library.
Michelle Powers
Fun, lite read about a librarian detective. Obvsiously part of a series and a few mentions that I didn't understand since this was the first one I read.
Erica - Bonner Springs Library
Oct 11, 2010 Erica - Bonner Springs Library rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erica - by: Adult Pop Lit syllabus
Enjoyable but the mystery was summed up too quickly. Definitely a soft mystery. I enjoyed it until the end and was a bit disappointed.
Erica
Dec 01, 2008 Erica rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erica by: Adult Pop Lit syllabus
Mary
I love Jo Dereske's Miss Zukas mysteries, because they take me back to a very special year I spent near Bellhaven.
Kimberly
Main character is slightly uptight but enjoyable in her own quirky way. Definitely like the series.
  • The Alpine Menace
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • Down the Garden Path (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • The Goodbye Body (Claire Malloy, #15)
  • Death Walked In (Death on Demand, #18)
  • Theft on Thursday
  • The Battered Body (A Supper Club Mystery, #5)
  • So Faux, So Good (Den of Antiquity, #4)
  • A Body to Die For (Savannah Reid, #14)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • Pampered to Death (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #10)
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
  • Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)

I grew up in rural Michigan, greatly influenced by my Lithuanian roots. I'm one of those tedious people who wanted to write stories as soon as I learned to read, but believed I had to leave Michigan first. In fact, I couldn't wait to shake off that Michigan dust! Curiously, everything I write seems to have a connection to Michigan or my Lithuanian heritage.
I now live in the beautiful foothills of

More about Jo Dereske...
Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1) Miss Zukas and the Island Murders (Miss Zukas, #2) Miss Zukas and the Stroke of Death (Miss Zukas, #3) Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas, #9) Miss Zukas and the Raven's Dance (Miss Zukas, #4)