Start by marking “The Sagittarius Command (Tour of the Merrimack, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sagittarius Command (Tour of the Merrimack, #3)

The Sagittarius Command (Tour of the Merrimack #3)

After the finest battleship-class spaceship in Earth's fleet, the U.S.S. Merrimack, rescues a near-space Roman world besieged by a destructive alien life-form known as the Hive, the Romans' leader, Caesar Magnus, insists on honoring the ship's captain, John Farragut. But when Caesar is assassinated, Farragut must lead a mission into the heart of Hive territory in search of ...more
Kindle Edition, Reissue Edition, 404 pages
Published November 6th 2007 by DAW (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Sagittarius Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sagittarius Command

Wealhtheow
Third in the USS Merrimack series. The year is 2445 CE, and Earth and the Palatine Empire (a neo-Roman group that broke away from Earth control a few generations ago) have declared a temporary truce in order to combat the Hive. The Hive cannot be reasoned with, cannot be stopped for long, and they will never, ever stop coming. Because they are hungry. And all life is food.

I read these as really excellent Star Trek:TOS fanfic, with Captain Farragut as a smarter, kinder version of James T Kirk an
Brownbetty
Feb 04, 2009 Brownbetty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel that giving a review consisting of twelve \o/ in a row might be considered a cop-out.

But it's tempting. This book is a sequel to Wolf Star and The Myriad, which I have already reviewed, and both of which I've given four stars. This book skips ahead a year from Wolf Star, and picks up at the point where events veer from the obvious path for them to take after the close of the last book.

The book's main dramatic arc is about the war against the alien threat known as the Gorgons, a terrifying
Jamie Collins
This was nearly as good as the first book - it kept me up late reading. Sure, some parts are ridiculous, but like watching a good B-movie, you can overlook that because it’s all so much fun.

The United States and the Roman Empire (in space!) are uneasy allies, teamed up to defend humankind from an alien force which threatens to literally consume all life in its path. A combined task force, full of internal strife, sets out on a quest to discover the secret to defeating the Hive aliens.

We have bat
Patrick
Jul 27, 2009 Patrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A pompous, sloppy, straining waste of my time. Couldn't carry Honor Harrington's luggage with a forklift.
Mardel
Mar 11, 2012 Mardel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I enjoy about some women SciFi authors is the interesting blend of science, SciFi, Space Opera/Odyssey, tough fighting marines, opposing factions, spies, enemies and the interpersonal relationships between all characters that all tend to evolve when people work and live together for long periods of time. Not to be sexist, but sometimes you don't get quite the blend I'm looking for with a male writer. I know some men write the type of stories I love to read - and then again ther ...more
Mike
Mar 02, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having previously read both The Myriad and The Wolf Star I jumped at reading R. M. Meluch’s The Sagittarius Command, the third book in The Tour of Merrimack, only to be stymied by its odd ebook formatting. I eventually came back to the title and powered through the short sentences and short paragraphs and as I suspected found the book as enjoyable as its predecessors. The Sagittarius Command picks up not too long after The Wolf Star with Captain Farragut having accepted the surrender of Roman Em ...more
Joshua Palmatier
Nov 08, 2008 Joshua Palmatier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sagittarius Command is the third book in the Tour of the Merrimack sci-fi series from R.M. Meluch. This series is much more Star Trek-ish than hardcover sci-fi, but I've enjoyed the books in the series so far.

Premise: In this book, the Roman leader Caesar Magnus is assassinated during an ceremony in honor of the Merrimack's captain Farragut. In order to keep the tenuous peace between the Roman Empire, Farragut must travel deep into Hive territory to not only find out who ordered and orchestr
Zachary
Jan 16, 2008 Zachary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Captain John Farragut is back! And we finally get Augustus (from The Myriad) back with him. The Merrimack is back and fighting for the very existence of mankind, seeking the complete destruction of the Hive. Let the space-age swashbuckling adventuring begin!

Meluch has done another excellent job of crafting an engaging escapade ('story' is so mild a term), with page-turning action and adventure. This really is a superb example of how exciting and fun science fiction can be. Meluch also continues
Pygmy
Aug 18, 2009 Pygmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Gail
Nov 23, 2013 Gail rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I've ever read a series with such fluctuating quality and style between books. If someone told me that a different person wrote "The Myriad" and this third installment, I'd believe it in a heartbeat. Whereas "The Myriad" was well-crafted and as internally consistent as Sci-Fi can be, "The Sagittarius Command" is totally uneven. For example, in "The Myriad," Captain Farragut talks like most Southern senators: using mostly proper grammar with a few folksy sayings. In "Sagittarius Com ...more
Rachel
Dec 02, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sciencefiction
I really love this series, despite the dirty trick at the end of book one, which I'm starting to see the point of. This is not great literature, but it is good space opera, which is worth a lot. And knowing that your favorite characters are going to (for the most part) survive, and good will triumph over evil, is more than half the fun.

In this book, the relationship between Farragut and the Romans gets even more complicated, and he is sent with a mixed group of Romans and US ships to investigate
Marta Dulce Și Gavina
It's like with some B-movies: you can see all the flaws of this book (some really cringeworthy: sexism!) but you just can't stop reading! There are much more Romans in this volume which is one of its redeeming qualities (I love those tough bastards) and Augustus is back for good. Augustus, the most interesting character, the same as in the first book and yet strangely different. It's impossible to sing his praises without spoiling the plot of the whole Tour of the Merrimack series, but yeah. Aug ...more
David
Feb 12, 2012 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-sci-fi
I was rather disappointed in this entry in the Merrimack series. I don't like the Gorgons as a menace. The book degenerated into a "gee-another-impossible-challenge-how-are-we-going-to-get-out-of-it-this-time?" Granted, making it TOO easy for the protagonists would make for rather dull reading as well, but still. I also did not like the ending--it was rather boring.

There are SO many Honor Harrington-like protagonists in military sci-fi (i.e., the "maverick space captain"), that there really nee
JoyfulK
Jul 20, 2010 JoyfulK rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-recommended
I read all of Meluch's work years ago, and then couldn't find any more of her books for a long while. So I was pleasantly surprised to find this one in a store in the Denver airport, at a time when I was out of novels to read on my trip.

Disappointingly, this book was a good romp, but not up to the quality of Meluch's earlier work such as Wind Child or Chicago Red. Still, I'm delighted to know she's writing again, and will hunt up the rest of the series.

Note: This book is 3rd in a 4-book series,
Timothy
Dec 19, 2013 Timothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Another popcorn Science fiction book in the bag and I am happy for it. In a sense, I wanted some comfort, not too deep, scifi and found it in the series of the Merrimack by Meluch. Though the plot is not entirely unique, some of the plot twists and turns surprised me. I went into the book looking for some high flying adventure with characters that are familiar even as they are placed in new situations and with new names and found exactly what I was looking for. I felt the dynamic between two of ...more
John
Dec 21, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Farragut commands a task force that tracks down a major Hive vulnerability. Along with some marvelous characters, the author shows a gift for crafting desperate, seemingly hopeless battle scenes, ingenious strategems, and truly hilarious salacious banter. I have read some justified criticism about the way she handles female characters, but think she did better here.

Thinking about it, I'm sorry I read the first volume of this series because of the crappy twist she threw in part way through---wou
Glen Peterman
Mar 10, 2016 Glen Peterman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a fan of the all consuming bug enemy at all, but this pulls it off so well I could not get enough. Very well written characters and a fast keep you on your toes moving plot combined to make this a very enjoyable read. The original take on the insects is really interesting and almost really believable in the context they are used. My only nitpick is the characters are a little to perfect, almost always making gambles that pay off and are near infallible.
Matt Howard
Apr 08, 2008 Matt Howard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book & R.M.Meluch didn't disapoint. The 3rd book in the Merrimack series is just as good if not better than the first two. Having the larger-than-life John Farragut & oh-so-cruel Augustus back together produces great character interaction. I'd HIGHLY recomend this series to anyone that would listen.
Kate
Jun 13, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2015
This is probably my favorite of the Merrimack books so far. It's just great space opera. I particularly appreciated the opening scenes, as it features a group of Roman soldiers holed up in a replica stone fort using replica catapults to defend their planet against the alien threat. Essentially, this series is about spaceships and swords against aliens, and it's wonderful.
Julia
Mar 05, 2013 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this without reading the previous two books in the series and did not enjoy it. I probably should have picked up the first one instead. Woops. Still doesn't change the fact that this book is not very good.
Squeaky
Book three of the U.S.S. Merrimack series. Gosh, I didn't care for the first book and here I am on the third one! Oddly, SPQR came up in conversation (on television they were showing The Robe), Cam translated it (High school Latin pays off again!), and now I find it on page 90, among pages.
Joe Slavinsky
Jan 16, 2016 Joe Slavinsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Realized, 2/3 of the way in, that I had already read this book, but finished it anyway. It's great fun, as are the 2 previous books of "The Tour of the Merrimack" series. Lots of great military sci-fi action, decent plot, great characters, a real page-turner.
Bryan457
Bitter enemies, Earth and Palatine, set out to find the source of the gorgon menace.

Great space opera, with all the delightful characters from the last two books, Kerry Blue, Farragut, Augustus, Steele, Calli, etc.
Marsha Johnson
Jan 06, 2008 Marsha Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They finally killed the Gorgons! Or...not. This was a fun read. I love Meluch's style. My favorite authors always seem to be ones that can entertain with a great exciting story, but also make me laugh over and over again.
Pat
Jan 13, 2013 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A blistering good rolicking space opera romp through mindless alien bug infested space with surprisingly deep character development and a fair about of built in humor. A nice break from those serial killer mass murder suspense books i read!
Tim
A traditional space opera with heroes and villains larger than life. The third installment in her series the characters are great fun and the story is too. I'd fogottenm how much I enjoyed the first two books until I read this one.
Daniel
Apr 07, 2014 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The better of the final two books in the series, But it does tend to drag a bit. and the final solution to the Hive is a bit underwhelming at best. The roman intrigue felt contrived as well and this is the book were I started hating Kerry Blue.
Ralph McEwen
This book is a sequel to Wolf Star and The Myriad. This is not great literature, but it is good space opera. It definitely will help to have read Myriad and Wolf Star before this.
Noel Roach
I would have given it four stars but there were two or three big plot holes.
Bill
Dec 18, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining space opera with plenty of twists.
  • The Dark Wing  (The Dark Wing Series, #1)
  • The Clone Republic (Rogue Clone, #1)
  • Raven's Children (Sequoyah, #2)
  • Interstellar Patrol
  • The Agent Gambit (Liaden Universe, #9-10)
  • Mars Evacuees (Mars Evacuees #1)
  • Europa Strike (Heritage Trilogy, #3)
  • A Handful Of Stars (Star Svensdotter, # 2)
  • Law of Survival (Jani Kilian Chronicles, Book 3)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2)
  • The Voyage
  • Stark's War (Stark's War, #1)
  • The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War, #1)
  • Passage at Arms (Starfishers Trilogy, #4)
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
  • Pathfinder (Major Ariane Kedros, #3)
  • Happy Snak
  • Wasteland of Flint

Tour of the Merrimack (6 books)
  • The Myriad (Tour of the Merrimack, #1)
  • Wolf Star (Tour of the Merrimack, #2)
  • Strength and Honor (Tour of the Merrimack, #4)
  • The Ninth Circle (Tour of the Merrimack, #5)
  • The Twice and Future Caesar (Tour of the Merrimack, #6)