Start by marking “Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)” as Want to Read:
Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)

Small Favor (The Dresden Files #10)

4.43  ·  Rating Details ·  72,851 Ratings  ·  1,873 Reviews
As "one of the most enjoyable marriages of the fantasy and mystery genres on the shelves,"* the novels of the Dresden Files follow the cases of Chicago's only professional wizard, Harry Dresden, and his never-ending battle against the evil that plagues his world....

Harry Dresden's life finally seems to be calming down. The White Council's war with the vampiric Red Court ha
Audiobook, 14 pages
Published April 1st 2008 by Penguin Audio

To ask other readers questions about Small Favor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Favor

Reed
Apr 27, 2008 Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I began reading the 10th Harry Dresden novel, I started ticking off little mental bullet points:

Sarcastic dialogue.

Harry in more trouble than any 3 urban fantasy characters.

The frenzied "first climax" that always happens in the middle of a Dresden novel.

Repetitive info-dumping (description of Harry's beat up Volkswagen, Mouse the huge-ass dog, his big-ass cat, his pretty-boy vampire brother, his burned hand, his terrible youth, the tavern for supernaturals . . . you get the point)

I began to
Lindsey Rey
Aug 20, 2015 Lindsey Rey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
[4.5 Stars]
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Another solid story with a stellar narration, even if I think James Marsters is sort of backtracking and doing fewer distinct voices. I'm crazy addicted to this story, and I simply don't think it is possible for me to not enjoy one of these books. This plot was, again, sort of all of the place and complicated, but Jim Butcher makes it work.

I can't give less than 4 stars. On to the next!
Chris
Jun 21, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, wizardry
"Hell's Bells" count: 21

This is the tenth book in the series, and if Butcher's own plan can be trusted, it marks about the halfway point for the series as a whole. Having made it this far with the series is a remarkable achievement, and if he can keep it up all the way to its projected end, I will be a very happy and impressed reader. So, a few words about the book itself, and then some thoughts on the series.

Honestly, if you've been following my reviews of this series, you can be pretty sure wh
Marielle Ooms-Voges
Dresden always makes me feel good!
Richard
Oct 04, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
8.5/10

Easily in the top 3 of the Dresden Files series and I’d go as far to say it’s my second favourite unable to pip Dead Beat by just a fraction (minus a star for no Polka music). The whole book was just fun to read, maybe it was the snowy Chicago setting and reading this over Christmas and the lack of snow provided by the weird British weather systems here. That’s a disservice though as there is so much going on in this book that it was hard to put this down and I was hooked up until the fina
Luffy
Jul 23, 2015 Luffy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dresden
Giving a book 5 stars doesn't mean it's perfect. It's just that though I use it with a discriminative, fair, and remunerative sense of dosage, I know there are 2 farcical sides to this particular coin. First, for how long do I wait before ceding to impulse and rate a book 5 stars. Secondly, what do I do if, a week after giving Small Favor 5 stars, I chance on a book 10 times better? Cheerfully, those issues are non sequitur in my mind. Small Favor began slowly, embracing its pulpish roots and fl ...more
Seth
May 13, 2008 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f-h, modernfantasy
About 1/4 into Small Favor I found myself wondering if Harry Dresden was about to magically jump a shark. By the end, I had decided it might be the best book in the series.

Well, he actually does kind of jump a shark, but he was in an aquarium at the time.

Favor put us firmly back in Dresden's home territory. Someone has kidnapped his least-favorite sometimes-ally "Gentleman" Marcone and he's being coerced into saving him by an old enemy. His allies in faerie-land are trying to kill him. His frie
Becky
OH shizzle! This book was intense. Excellent though, and I loved the humor.

I actually really enjoy the faith aspects of these books too, which isn't something that you'll see me say very often. I just really appreciate how Butcher manages issues of Good and Evil and God, god(s) and religion, or not so much religion but faith.

I love Harry and I love these books. That's all that really needs to be said.
Deborah Markus
Mar 22, 2015 Deborah Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-find
Note the five stars and take what follows for what it's worth.

I'm a few books ahead -- I'm just behind on posting. But this book, and another one to come, confirmed what I began to suspect a book or two ago, which is that Jim Butcher has developed a poker tell.

I don't want to say much or I'll spoil the suspense for you the way Butcher has started to for me. I'll try to be vague enough that you won't know what I mean until you finish the book, look back with this review in mind, and get it. Maybe
Michael
Jim Butcher's Dresden Files takes a bit of a break from the supernatural conflict that has been the focus of the last several novels with great success. The entire conflict isn't ignored and it is always present, though it may be on the back burner for "Small Favor."

During an October blizzard, Harry is called on to deliver one of his two remaining favors for Mav. Gentlemen Johnny Marcone has disappeared and Mav tasks Harry with finding him and returning him safely. But another side is out for Ha
David Sven
Another great entry in the series. Great audio narration from James Marsters as usual.

Plenty of action this book starting from the first few minutes. The war with the Red Court might have cooled down temporarily but Harry has peeved off quite a few nasties so far in the series and a lot of them come back round to bite him in the ass. Good thing it's tough as leather. Or at least it's covered with leather infused with magic shielding.

It's a bit hard to review this one because mentioning the bigg
Jilly
The very first thing I have to say about this book is: How in the world do people live in places where it snows? I mean, the descriptions in this book of living in a place with snow during the winter sounds soooooo miserable! I can't even imagine having to dig my car out of ice, or shovel my walkway in order to leave my house each day. You people must be insane or something!

snow photo: tired of snow ? its_snow_funny.gif
this would be me at the airport upon landing in the place where there is snow

Harry needs to move to the South. His long co
Javi
Jan 02, 2017 Javi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy Fans
Book 10 of the Dresden Files finds Harry fighting the Denarians, his old foes that have been showing up consistently throughout the series and it does so in what I can only call a very atmospheric setting, one of cold and snow that you can almost feel pouring through the pages. In that regard, the book is extremely well crafted but my main quibble is the plot: I got confused yet again and there were times when I couldn't tell what exactly the Summer Queen had to do with the rest of the story or ...more
Donna
Jan 02, 2017 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I feel like I need to apologize for giving this only 4 stars. I liked this one a lot, but I just finished another book in this same series and I absolutely loved that one.....so by comparison, this one gets 4 stars. This one dealt a lot with the politics in the wizard-ing world, I think that is why I deducted a star.

This series is one of my all time favorites. I'll try and reign in my gushing.
Rob
Executive Summary: Another great entry in the series. Instead of running on too long and rehashing old ideas, Mr. Butcher keeps ratcheting things up and making you want more.

Audio book: James Marsters? Check. Awesome reading? Check. He has me dreading Ghost Story, because I know he won't be reading it. I really can't imagine anyone else doing this series justice.

Full Review
This one is even better than I remember, but still not quite as enjoyable for me as White Night is. I'm not really sure wh
Tim The Enchanter
Some Big Ideas Get Messy - 3.5 Stars

Random Ramblings

The 10th installment of the Dresden files is a story of two book (well, three if you are counting storylines). Jim Butcher was flexing his storytelling muscles with what was probably his most complicated plot. I have said it many times in my reviews of the previous 9 books and I will say it again. While the Dresden Files may not be my favorite UF Series and while Jim Butcher may not be the best writer of UF, I think he stands alone as the
Tania
Oct 08, 2016 Tania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub, fantasy, audio
I really liked this audio book - there were a lot of characters, and the narrator did a great job with all the voices. There was also a lot happening, keeping me on the edge of my seat - but I'm happy to say this time the author avoided hour long fight scenes. Lastly, I had MANY laugh out loud moments, which is always great when you are stuck in horrible traffic. Thanks Sonja for introducing me to this audio series!
Nicole
Katy
Jun 03, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of Urban Fantasy

My Thoughts: The Dresden Files books that deal with the Sidhe always amuse me. I can’t say why I find them particularly amusing, other than Butcher does a fabulous job of following the traditional faery lore, but I tend to enjoy these the most.

I loved Sanya’s reaction to Murphy. “I like her... she is tiny, but fierce.” Tiny but fierce women seem to appeal to Russians, as least based upon my limited experien
Nicole Prestin
If you like the Dresden Files series then you should be mostly satisfied with this book since it's basically more of the same. That's the problem really, these books are really getting formulaic, to the point where I'd really love to see something truly different from the author.

For instance, Jim Butcher is hitting the limits of keeping his series in a first person perspective. Some of his supporting characters are just as interesting, if not more interesting than the main character - and it's a
Ben Babcock
Second review, read from June 7-8, 2010.

When I re-read a book I've already reviewed, I tend to write a new review to reflect how my opinion of the book has changed with a second reading. In this case, my opinion hasn't changed much. If anything, my admiration of Small Favor has increased. I stand by my original review, and I recommend you read that for my full thoughts on this book.

Some addenda though.

Reading the series in near succession like this gives me a new appreciation of how Small Favor
Lee
Mar 06, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a tenth book in a series, I would be expecting some re-generation of stories, padding and generally the author just finding ways to keep the dollars rolling in. Yes I am looking at you Laurell K Hamilton. However, Butcher is leading us on a story that not only is giving great short sotries during each novel, but giving us a glimpse of the overall story and just how large it can become.

In this story, Dresden actually has to go rescue Marcone, but just about everyone we know is involved. Maab
Dawn
I'm getting pretty close to caught up! This wasn't my favorite by any means, but it was still pretty darn good. What can I really say about this series, ten books in? It hasn't disappointed me ever, that's for sure. On to the next!

2014 Re-Read Review Update: I stand by my original review. Not my favorite by any means, but still darn tootin' good.
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Rated 4.5 stars.
Oh come on why do these evil beings always want to take Harry down. He is finally trying to get his life in order and then the of course the past returns to be a pain. Mab has to call in her favor but it not an easy one because it traps Harry between a foe and an equally deadly ally. Poor Harry has to use all his skills to the very limit to get through this one.
Rumana Nasrin
Dec 05, 2015 Rumana Nasrin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
রোলার কোসটার রাইডিং!! :D
ওহ হযারি!! গেট আ লাইফ, পিলিইইইইইজ!! :p
Regina
I was conflicted on how to review this book. The first 50% of the book is constant action, not much dialogue except as it relates to the action. How many grave injuries does Harry get over this series? I understand that fighting is dangerous and Butcher makes it realistic, but the constant aches and pains and injuries, well sometimes it is tiring! I was frustrated with Harry for once again just expecting Thomas to join in on the fight and for bringing the danger to the Carpenters. Michael does m ...more
Justyna
May 19, 2015 Justyna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There can be only one rating for the book like that from me: 5 stars

I enjoyed this book as much as I did the first time I read it, which was quite some time ago. This is just Dresden Files at it's best and I love it! Lots of action, fun, magic and supernatural creatures. And although some things were perhaps predictable, there were a lot of surprises too. And the story slowly gets bigger and more creatures and people are involved, and more is at stake.

I love Harry and he's on the list of my favo
Michael
Jan 05, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steven
Jul 15, 2013 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. The Denarians, the fae, the Knights of the Cross, the Marcone gang, the Archive... pretty much everyone is present except the vamps (and of course Thomas is here, so that counts!)... awesome!
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Deathwish (Cal Leandros, #4)
  • Monster Hunter Alpha (Monster Hunter International, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)

“Caring about someone isn't complicated. It isn't easy. But it isn't complicated, either. Kinda like lifting the engine block out of a car.” 319 likes
“You rush a miracle worker, you get lousy miracles!” 205 likes