Start by marking “Samantha Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Samantha, #5)” as Want to Read:
Samantha Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Samantha, #5)

Samantha Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Samantha #5)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  2,667 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Samantha, a bright Victorian beauty, an orphan raised by her wealthy grandmother. You can share their worlds--their friends, and families. You'll see that some things about growing up have changed, while others--like families, friendships and feelings.
Published July 1st 1988 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Samantha Saves the Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samantha Saves the Day

Amber
A review by Blake: A really good book. One of the best in the series. Exciting, surprises around every corner. And it was a really good book, so I like it. And I would recommend it to anybody.
Callie Stillion
Samantha is off on an adventure to Teardrop Island! But she is afraid also because this is the place her parents drowned. Samantha doesn`t want to go to the island, but when Agnes, Agatha, and she see her mother`s sketch book, which is like a map of the place, it gets the girls interested, so they feel the need to go to Teardrop Island. The Admiral wants to find the girls, and he`s out exploring the place to find the twins and Samantha. But, when he slips, falls, and hits his head on one of the ...more
Sharon
Samantha couldn't be happier! She is with Grandmary at their summer home(Piney Point) in the mountains. To add to the excitement, Agnes, Agatha, Uncle Gard and Aunt Cornelia are joining them. And so is Grandmary's special friend and admirer, Admiral Archibald Beemis. Fishing, swimming, and exploring in their canoe occupy their sunny days. And on rainy days, the girls complete jigsaw puzzles, paint pictures, play cards and work on their wildflower scrapbooks. When Samantha finds a sketchbook of h ...more
Halle Stout
This was a heartwarming book, that I personally really enjoyed, with a good moral. Even though we want to hold those that we've lost close it is good to know that they are in a better place. Readers that read this will probably understand that too after reading this book.
Kristine Pratt
Excitement abounds with Samantha and her cousins as they go exploring around a lake over summer vacation.

I think what I love is the absolute freedom the girls have to go out, wander the woods, and play all day with no adult supervision at all. It's a strange thing to me now, because I wouldn't give my own kids that much freedom, though I grew up spending long summer days in the woods with my mom having no idea where I was (or even little caring so long as I showed up in time for dinner.)

Is this
Shelli
Samantha and her family are summering at their families summer camp. (A collection of several log cabins on the side of the lake that Samantha's wealthy family owned.) Life in their cabin's was not much different then day to day life, except for the break from school and lessons. Ruffing it is not something that happened when you had posh cabins and servants. Samantha and her cousins have freedom to explore the lake and the woods as they wish. Tear Drop Island, a little island that calls to them ...more
Brittany Granger
I am going to do a mass review of all the books in the American Girl series, and then copy and paste to each book when I get the chance. Stay Tuned!
Teri
You have to get out in nature for this book! Go to the mountains, canoe, swim, hike, and if you need a craft, paint outside.
Superreader200
Samantha goes to Teardrop Island. After she has fun, she founds out her boat is gone! So the three girls sleep on the mountain. When they went down, they heard a sound. They found out that it was the Admiral trying to help them--but now they had to help him! Samantha found his boat. They went in that boat. They paddled through the lake and the storm next to the rocks. Then Samantha said to herself, "This is probably what happened to Mommy and Daddy. I was only five when they died." She made it h ...more
Marya
Another misfire for the little one. But then again, this book is about finding out how your parents died...
Becky Keir Grace
The 5th book in the Samantha series takes us to Grandmary's summer home. We are finally told how Samantha's parents died. Samantha learns a lot about her parents and even realizes she does remember a little bit about them. She and the twins go the island on the lake to explore and learn why Samantha's parents brought her there so often as a child. But a storm moves in and the girls are trapped. Samantha realizes she must face her fears and get them home safely.

Marie
I liked it because I like boats.
Rebekah
This was always my favorite in the series. (:
Taylor
Samantha and her family are spending the summer in piney point, Grandmary's home in the mountains. One day Samantha and the outrageous twins Agnes and Agatha find a sketchbook made by Samantha's mother.Inside it samantha sees a beautiful waterfall she has visited with her parents long ago. what will samantha do with the sketchbook? READ THE BOOK TO FIND OUT!! :D i love this book because it feels as if you are on an adventure!
Dolly
Feb 23, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an exciting adventure in the Samantha series for the American Girls collection. An idyllic summer vacation is punctuated by a summer storm that brings Samantha dangerously close to her parents' fate. A bit over the top in the drama department, but a good story overall. Our girls like these books are we are looking forward to the last book in this series. We enjoy the glimpse into the past, 100 years ago.
Samantha Glasser
Samantha and her family have gone on a vacation in an old cabin, and everyone is having a great time until it starts raining. The vacation home is near Teardrop Island, so named because it looks like a large teardrop. This is the location where Samantha's parents died in a storm.

Events lead to Samantha enduring a similar storm on Teardrop Island and saving the day.
Ashley
This one is by far my least favorite American Girl story. It's kind of far-fetched and kind of hokey. And it's not related to anything historical except the section in the back which explains how wealthy Americans vacationed in the early 1900s. Boring. I'm not really loving Samantha--she doesn't offer much to talk about with Abby.

Jessa
This book entails a little girl surviving the very situation that killed both of her parents. It includes the line "This must have been what it was like the night they died." That's pretty hardcore, especially for a (I love you, but let's be honest here Samantha) spoiled, privileged little girl.
Jamie
I Loved the Samantha books as a girl, and I love to read them once in a while as an adult. It takes me right back to being a kid again.
The story may be a little far fetched, but what's wrong with that?
The message is that girls CAN save the day, and that is an empowering message.
Miri
Samantha and her family are staying at a cabin, when Samantha, Agnes and Agatha decide to sail to teardrop island, the island she used to visit with her mother and father when she was small, the girls get caught in a terrible storm and are stuck on the island!
Adrian
Rose Pink has been reading a bunch of these - she's big into American Girl books at the moment, and Samantha was my favorite when I was her age, probably because she was rich. Quick read. American Girl books are generally pretty engaging.
Mary Bronson
I loved this book. This book showed once again why I love Samantha. She is so brave and witty. In a tough situation she is always level headed and thinks straight. Plus the love she has for her family is so pure and great. It was nice to read more about her parents.
Mike Gray
My first grader really enjoyed the whole Samantha series. The content really kick started some good discussions about life during different times. The historical aspects definitely help expose children to some additional perspectives on life in different generations.
Kiana
This book is a sad book.If I were Samantha I would be sad too!I hate when there are stories when people get reminded of sad things they have been through in the past. But it still was a good book though.
I really enjoy Samantha's adventure in this book. I also enjoy that you find out some history from Samantha's past. I am glad that things get resolved and overall everyone is happier at the end of this book.
Natalie
We learn more about Samantha's parents' death, which will be something I have to talk to my Samantha about, but other than that the book was cute and fine for her.
Kelsey
Apr 04, 2008 Kelsey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7-10
This series is a really good one. I've read more than what's on my list, but I don't feel like going through 40 somewhat pages. LOLS :) They are easy though.
Audrey
It was a great American girl adventure! any girl my age would really like it! It get a little scary so the the reason I only have 4 stars.
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Kirsten Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #2)
  • Happy Birthday, Addy!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Addy, #4)
  • Julie and the Eagles (American Girls: Julie, #4)
  • Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Samantha (6 books)
  • Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American Girls: Samantha, #1)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Samantha, #3)
  • Happy Birthday Samantha!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Samantha, #4)
  • Changes for Samantha: A Winter Story (American Girls: Samantha, #6)
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)