Start by marking “1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets (1000 Best)” as Want to Read:
1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets (1000 Best)

1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets (1000 Best)

"Reading this book is like getting advice from a trusted friend. Jamie's non-judgmental, conversational style put me at ease immediately. I felt like she had popped by and we had chatted over a cup of coffee. The last thing that someone who is dealing with clutter needs is more guilt! Jamie makes it seem manageable to conquer clutter."
- Judith Leblein, Host of EBTV "Conve
Published (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1000 Best Quick and Easy Organizing Secrets

Danielle
Should have been titled: "990 Super Obvious Organizing Suggestions, Plus Ten Useful Tips." Seriously, I kept interrupting my reading to repeat inane "organizing secrets" to my husband in a "Can you believe this got published?!" kind of voice. Lest you think I'm being overly harsh there was seriously the "tip" that to make doing laundry more convenient, you might consider keeping a scoop in your powdered laundry detergent. It was phrased that way, too. I couldn't help wondering what the author th ...more
Jo

LOL! Just had to share this "gem": "For one whole week, pay attention to how you spend your time. You might be surprised to find there are small changes you can make which will give you back pockets of time. For example, would using a letter opener speed up the process of opening the mail?"

A letter opener? Really?
Linda
Jun 08, 2015 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jilted
I was interested for the first 20 pages and then I just thought to myself, this is very wordy. It felt like in the time I was taking to read all of that wordage I could be organizing stuff! This book seems to be better for someone who has never tried to organize before and doesn't know where to start. Most of the tips and tricks to be things I have already heard. I liked how things were broken down step by step, but I felt most of the steps were less necessary than me actually getting stuff done ...more
Caro
Nov 27, 2014 Caro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: actual-factual
This one took a while to read. There's a lot of info. A lot of good tips and tricks, some costly and some are just rearranging (whether time or stuff). A good book that I did get some notes out of but there was a lot that didn't pertain to me. I'd say this was an all-in-one and good for anyone since there's probably a little something for everyone. This was written well, but not really something you want to sit down and read through. More like something you'd want to use as a reference when you ...more
Michelle Moses
Nov 21, 2009 Michelle Moses rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: household
Wow! I didn't think an organizing book could have so much impact. After reading this book my house has already seen drastic changes. I deal with one clutter area fully before I move on to my next project.

I recommend this book to everyone. There are tidbits of info that would be helpful for the already organized as well as anyone who needs lots of help.
Amy Broome
May 02, 2015 Amy Broome rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At 200, was repetitive. At 250, was beyond bored. At 300, suspected the author never left her home. At 315, was sure of it. At 400, began skimming for anything not glaringly obvious. Got to end and was sadly disappointed.
Abby
May 08, 2008 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a mere 20 pages or so left in this book, so I am going to review it right now while I am at the computer.

I had to up this book rating to 4 stars, and I am contemplating upping it to 5. I am re-evaluating my star giving process. I think that I should give books that directly impact my life 5 stars. Then books that are like, good to read but don't change a thing about how I think or live, should be 4 stars and below. I have been giving this rating process far more thought than I should.

So a
Christy Olesen
Lots of ideas here. My favorite is the Brain Dump. Is your mind cluttered with things to remember? The Brain Dump help ease your mind. Get yourself a small spiral bound notebook and just write things down. To Dos, lists, dates, feelings, ideas. I've been using one for the last couple of weeks. It why I remembered to review this book, I have a page of books ready to review on Goodreads. I'm remodeling/redesigning my office/studio and I've been jotting down idea for it. Sketching how the furniture ...more
Anju

I am a notoriously cluttered person, so it'll be interesting to see how many of these tips actually get put into practice.

This book was very easy to skim, and overall it had a fair number of good tips. It is, however, a bit dated: it makes no mention of e-books and and talks about ways to store rolls of film and negatives.

A note on formatting: Reading the kindle edition of this book was good in that I could just highlight the tips I wanted to remember later.
Kellie
Apr 22, 2015 Kellie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would be surprised if there are 600 tips here. Not that 600 isn't a lot, but there's too much repetition here to honestly present this as 1000 secrets. Much of the book is probably common sense, although it's always helpful to be reminded to, say, get rid of junk mail before bringing it inside. The typos were a little distracting; some proofreading would really help the readability of this book. And my original impression stands: she really likes armoires. And Rolodexes. And the number seven.
Relyn
Mar 11, 2016 Relyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library's website
Shelves: homekeeping
Ick. You know that I love organizing books and read them for fun and tidbits of inspiration. This one had none. Is anyone really so disorganized that they need to be told to toss old medicine and expired coupons? Really? And if they are, would they really be reading a book on organizing. Nothing new, nothing inspiring, nothing good.
Jan
Feb 01, 2015 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I also Liked Brain Dump help ease your mind. Get yourself a small spiral bound notebook and just write things down. To Dos, lists, dates, feelings, ideas.

Also - Do one thing at a time, before going on to the next.

It is fun to read and a lot of good ideas!

Sidra
May 13, 2008 Sidra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love organization books. They are a super-fun read for me because I grew up in clutter kingdom and I found a new love for being clutter free and organized when I watched TLC's "Clean Sweep". It changed my way of thinking...
Amygrace
Aug 03, 2011 Amygrace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great tips - more of a . Skim through the book at first to get ideas and then use as good reference to keep on hand (maybe in your organizing toolkit) when you tackle the big projects. Especially helpful right now as I remove clutter from last year and prepare for the next.
Alexandra Brovco
Overall a nice book.

But, there's one advice given that I really want to warn you against.

That would be the advice of having a single password for all of your web accounts. Yeah, no. Please don't ever do that.
Vivcaudle
Jul 20, 2008 Vivcaudle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the title of the book says it all-quick and easy organizing secrets. There are a lot of secrets that are common knowledge but it does have some good ideas. More than anything its a good book to get you motivated to organize.
Betsy
Apr 27, 2009 Betsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, quick-ish read. Interesting tips, though not all applicable. Maybe I can be a little more organized?
Valerie Sherman
Nov 17, 2010 Valerie Sherman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of the tips were repetitive and she's a little too obsessed with armoires, but she had some great ideas that I jotted down and will definitely implement in my new home.
Sarah Fox
Easy, informative full of tips. Some will apply and might be useful; others not. Some tips may NOT be for my house or household. However, many tips are covered. Something is bound to be useful.
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Rachel Joy
Rachel Joy rated it it was ok
May 25, 2015
Lindsay Utz
Lindsay Utz rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Ceci Long
Ceci Long rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Katy C
Katy C rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2013
Debra Foley
Debra Foley rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Nanda Osorio
Nanda Osorio rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Jerry
Jerry rated it did not like it
Nov 28, 2014
 Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Anne Strupp
Anne Strupp rated it did not like it
Dec 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Jamie Novak is an expert Professional Organizer and Clutter Coach. She's been a featured organizer on HGTV's Mission: Organization and hosts her own show Sort It Out with Jamie. She also authored A Busy Person's Guide to a Life You Love. Jamie is the founder of The Clutter Club, a free nationwide association in which discussion groups run by professional organizers focus on how to clear clutter.

Ja

More about Jamie Novak...