Start by marking “Wild Geese” as Want to Read:
Wild Geese

Wild Geese (Greener Grass #2)

Wild Geese, the sequel to the Governor General’s Award winning novel Greener Grass, follows Kit Byrne and her friend Mick O’Toole after fleeing famine ravaged Ireland. Across the  Atlantic a notorious “coffin ship”, through quarantine, and into the heart of North America, the two displaced teenagers endure storms, epidemics, and discrimination. Desperate to find her family

Published November 1st 2010 by Red Deer Press (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Geese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Geese

Rosemary Cantrell
Jan 25, 2016 Rosemary Cantrell rated it liked it
This book was recommended and I read it, not knowing anything about it. Two things I should have known: 1) it is a young adult book and 2) it is the second book of a series. Knowing those things in advance would probably have changed my enjoyment of the book.

As to #1 - this is actually a very good young adult book. It is about the Irish who had to flee Ireland because of the potato famine. I was able to figure out that book one was about their experiences in Ireland. This book was about their cr
Karen
Jun 03, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite Canadian YA novels.

Wild Geese, the sequel to Greener Grass, is Kit Byrne’s immigration story as she flees Ireland in 1847, endures a terrible ocean crossing and quarantine at Grosse Ile, Quebec, and ends up in Bytown (now Ottawa), all for the purpose of reuniting her family in Canada.

While the historical time and events on which the story is based are fascinating, I am captivated by Kit’s voice. Here are a couple of samples:
• nothing to our names but the tales we tell
• The s
Chrisanne
Feb 07, 2011 Chrisanne rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
The talent of the writing style still shines through (someone called it "lilt" and that is a very apt word to describe her style). However, while it wandered through many historical situations and Mick, bless his heart, was all you could want, the plotline soon reached ridiculous proportions as far as Tom and his brother were concerned. Really? I mean really! Back in the day it was a round-the-world, yearlong journey across the ocean, fraught with peril and REALLY. It wouldn't have happened that ...more
Rachel Seigel
Feb 17, 2011 Rachel Seigel rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful and inspiring sequel to Greener Grass. Filled with both heartbreak and hope, readers can't help but be emotionally engaged by Kit and her long journey. While there isn't really any set up for another book about Kit, I was left wondering what ultimately happens to her two siblings, and would love to see a book featuring them.
Carly Svamvour
Apr 21, 2011 Carly Svamvour rated it really liked it
We finished this one up in a few days - read the last couple pages last night.

I liked the story in the general sense - it moved along nicely. But I think it lacked that 'whomp' that a mature writer gives to historical fiction such as this one.

I will, however, be looking to see what else this writer does in future. It will be interesting to watch her grow.
Cyril
Mar 05, 2011 Cyril rated it it was amazing
Winner of the Governor Generals' award, this book traces the plight of Irish during the potato famine, their flight to Canada and their reception in Ottawa. Although written for younger readers, it is an excellent read for adults interested in the Irish question. Gut-wrenching.
Colleen Lecomte
Dec 23, 2015 Colleen Lecomte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction
I read this last year as the sequel to Greener Grass - both are awesome, both are highly recommended! Greener Grass is the story of a girl during the famine in Ireland trying to save her family (or what is left of it) and get them across the sea. Wild Geese continues the story once they get there.
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
it was a amazing book!
Linda
Jun 30, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
SSSoooo goood! It had a happy ending in this one, unlike Greener Grass. Can't wait to see what happens in Timber Wolf!
♥Justine♥
Jan 14, 2011 ♥Justine♥ rated it liked it
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Kristen S
Kristen S rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Martine
Martine rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2012
Gracey
Gracey rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Fiona Jackson
Fiona Jackson rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
Julie Fox
Julie Fox rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
Trish Belanger
Trish Belanger rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Sharron
Sharron rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2017
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
May 24, 2013
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2012
Mary Beth
Mary Beth rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2012
Émilie Chapados
Émilie Chapados rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2017
Rida
Rida rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2011
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Caroline Pignat is the two-time Governor Generalʼs Award winning author of highly acclaimed young adult novels. Her historical fiction, contemporary, and free verse novels use multiple points of view and varied forms to engage readers of all ages.

As a Writer's Craft student, Caroline wrote a short story that years later became Greener Grass, the first of a critically acclaimed series, and went on
More about Caroline Pignat...

Greener Grass (3 books)