Start by marking “The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War, #1)

The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War #1)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  687 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The Hammer Worlds, the most brutal and oppressive interstellar government in the universe, have hijacked the Federated Worlds cruise ship Mumtaz, seizing its valuable terraforming cargo and damning its passengers to mining the moons of the prison planet known as Hell.

For Junior Lieutenant Michael Helfort and the crew aboard deep space scout vessel 387, the mission is clea
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Battle at the Moons of Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle at the Moons of Hell

Michael
Oct 26, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Slow pacing, no character arc and very dry.

While this book shows promise for a new author, it still needs work. The pacing is very, very slow. Nothing happens until the final 40 pages of the book. If the author was trying to make a point that soldering is 99% boredom and 1% of sheer terror, then he makes his point very well. It just doesn't make a very good read. I'm not against slowly paced books, if there are other interesting aspects to focus on, such as character development. But there is no
Steven Allen
Nov 09, 2015 Steven Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book started a little slow and at first I was fairly sure that I would not keep it or reread it. By the end I found this book to be very good and will definitely add it to my personal library for reread later. This book did take a while to get started but once it got rolling, I could not put it down.

This is good space opera with some politics, but not so much that the action bogs down. Despite large space battles, the author does a good job of keeping the reader engaged without bogging down
aPriL does feral sometimes
Simple, plain vanilla plot. Characters are basic, the usual folks in the usual familiar roles. Comfortable military scifi that fulfills the genre standards. Young graduating cadet Michael Helfort from a military family is eager to prove himself, and his sister and mother are captured by The Hammer, a political group in control of a sector of planets where the government sounds similar to North Korea/the Soviet Union type of government with some crazy religious fundamentalism thrown in as an afte ...more
Brownbetty
I picked this book up because I was in the mood for dudely SF, and there's really very little more dudely SF to me than a book that starts with a cadet in the academy and takes then through their first command. As such, it was quite decent, and better than some; it managed not to embarrass itself as far as gender and ethnic representation or physics go, although it wasn't really interested in the first two. (I do like a book that worries about its spacesuits giving people the bends. \o/) Women a ...more
Jim
Jan 14, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent military science fiction reading. Has good character building although I wasn't sure at first if the main character, Michael Helfort, was going to do anything special. You follow him through a short time a the space academy as a cadet and then to his first assignment.

The story develops the situation within the galaxy where two dominant civilizations are either just finishing a war or getting ready for the next. The Federation, which is Helfort's side, just won a hard fought war with t
Roberta
Aug 27, 2008 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF fans, military SF fans
Recommended to Roberta by: David broussard
Shelves: sciencefiction
A good solid military science fiction story with political intrigue added. The main character Helfort has something to prove. He lost his seniority at the space academy and to top it off, his mom and sister are on a ship that is hijacked by pirates hired by a hostile government to the federation. He must do his job to the best of his ability and face death multiple times on a scout ship to help rescue his parents while learning how to be a junior officer in the space navy.

A typical coming of age
Richard Clayton
Mar 22, 2013 Richard Clayton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Graham Sharp Paul is a relatively new author and one I believe is worth looking at. He writes well in the David Weber, David Drake style of military science fiction. His first novel in the Helfort's War series describes the beginning of the military career of Michael Helfort and his involvement in a war against a totalitarian religious dictatorship that has secretly hijacked a civilian passenger liner along with its crew and passengers, two of which happens to be Michael's mother and sister.

The
Kayleigh
Dec 15, 2015 Kayleigh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I have sort of a love/hate relationship with military sci-fi. When done well, it can be thought-provoking, exciting, gritty, and poignant.

This...is not one of those times. An utter lack of context, plodding story, and dull, one-dimensional characters suck the potential and energy out of an interesting (though admittedly somewhat cliche) premise.
I.F. Adams
Neat ideas for combat, vibrant but somewhat cliche universe. Liked it enough to continue on with the series.
Nathan
Nov 17, 2008 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Space Combat fans
Shelves: reviewed-2008, sci-fi
A pretty decent space opera, but there's not a whole lot that really stands out to differentiate it or make it better than another.

Old Earth still has power, but is an offscreen player.

The Fed is the "good guys" and The Hammer of Kraa are the "bad guys". The good guys are pretty decent folks, without any sign of corruption and the bad guys are hard core Stalinist purger types.

I'm not disappointed that I bought this book, but it's not one I'm going to recommend unless you like hard core sci-fi sp
Ed
Apr 11, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#1 in the Helfort's War series. Entertaining space opera.

Helfort's War series - The Hammer Worlds have hijacked the Federated Worlds cruise ship Mumtaz, damning its passengers to mining the moons of the prison planet Hell. For Junior Lieutenant Michael Helfort and the crew aboard deep space scout vessel 387 are assigned to the rescue mission. The odds are appalling but victory is nonnegotiable – especially for Helfort.
Lauren
Aug 31, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It could have done without some of the detailed battle description (can't he just describe the technical details once, and then say something like "the heavy destroyers continued to bombard the small scouts with their misiles and rail guns"?), and the hero is awfully goody two-shoes, but otherwise a fun read. There's a high body count, but mostly you don't get to know the characters well enough to care that much.
Tbloxham
A fun little sci fi romp, a bit contrived perhaps and not as focused in it's story as the Lost Fleet series, but still a lot of fun to read. I think it lacks a greater protagonist than the Hammer, who are too obvious a villain for a space opera.
Bob
Nov 28, 2011 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ended better than it started. Couldn't put it down toward the end. A little technical at times, but the gbattles were good. I also liked the political side of the conflict, since it showed oth sides. I look forward to reading the second book.
Ken
Nov 14, 2010 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little short on the physics of space combat -- see The Lost Fleet series (by Jack Campbell) for that -- but an enjoyable series. The author's naval experience clearly shows through in his writing, which is a huge plus.
Ron Krebs
Jun 24, 2016 Ron Krebs rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I dropped this book after about 40%. It went nowhere with no real substance to the plot for at least the first 30% of the book.

Don't waste your time.
Michael
Jun 09, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Hopefully the others are just as good. It is has echos of the Honor Harrington series which were my favourite books ever.
Marty Ponnech
Jun 22, 2010 Marty Ponnech rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
That of all the far ranging subjects covered in the Science Fiction genre, the greatest advances come in the weaponry of the military. "Sigh"
TheIron Paw
A decent space-opera, but nothing more (not much "science" nor ideas - just a decent adventure story)
Rob
Jun 28, 2011 Rob rated it liked it
Formulaic ... but a good read. Mind-candy, ya know?
N0rs3man
N0rs3man marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Gene Dugger
Gene Dugger marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Alex Morosan
Alex Morosan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Jefv
Jefv marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Narendran
Narendran rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
David Kluempers
David Kluempers rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
  • The Clone Republic (Rogue Clone, #1)
  • Star Corps (The Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • Antares Dawn (Antares #1)
  • The Myriad (Tour of the Merrimack, #1)
  • Pointblank (Starfist: Force Recon, #2)
  • Orphanage (Jason Wander, #1)
  • The Shiva Option (Starfire, #4)
  • Starship: Mutiny (Starship, #1)
  • Legion of the Damned (Legion, #1)
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • Sundowner (Nicole Shea, #3)
  • Freehold
Graham Sharp Paul, born in Sri Lanka, received an honors degree in archaeology and anthropology from Cambridge University and an MBA from Macquarie University. He joined the Royal Navy in 1972, qualifying as a mine warfare and clearance diving officer before reaching the rank of lieutenant commander with the Navy's mine warfare flotilla. In 1983 he transferred to the Royal Australian Navy, serving ...more
More about Graham Sharp Paul...

Helfort's War (5 books)
  • The Battle of the Hammer Worlds (Helfort's War, #2)
  • The Battle of Devastation Reef (Helfort's War, #3)
  • The Battle for Commitment Planet (Helfort's War, #4)
  • The Final Battle (Helfort's War, #5)