Start by marking “Writing Nonfiction: Turning Thoughts Into Books” as Want to Read:
Writing Nonfiction: Turning Thoughts Into Books

Writing Nonfiction: Turning Thoughts Into Books

Writing Nonfiction provides a roadmap. You will learn how to break the topic down into easy-to-attack projects; how and where to do research; a process that makes writing easy; how to improve material; how to evaluate your publishing options and how to develop an individualized and workable plan. Using the pilot system of organization, the binder concept and the check-off ...more
Published April 24th 2007 by Para Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Nonfiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Nonfiction

Joni Baboci
Jan 02, 2013 Joni Baboci rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
In the first chapter the author says that a nonfiction book can be written in 700+ hours, he then goes on to explain how various unknown yet best-selling individuals have written their best-selling books in a couple of weeks or, in one of those rare cases, in a mere 4 hours. That is the approach the author seems to have taken as well. He might have written more than a hundred books yet if this is a representative example they might be lacking in quality and refinement. The book is filled with hy ...more
Gerald Prokop
Jul 20, 2011 Gerald Prokop rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
This is not a book about writing. It's about what the author calls "building books," which seems to mean all the steps of self-publishing with the writing regarded as an afterthought. The cover screamed "hastily thrown-together self-published book" but I gave it a try anyways because the reviews seemed ok.

I'm a big fan of people who can do self-publishing well, but it has to start with good writing. Oddly enough, that is not the focus of a book called "Writing Nonfiction."
Matt Burgess
May 05, 2010 Matt Burgess rated it it was amazing
Dan Poynter has put together a wonderful collection of assessment, resources and strategies that will help anyone write their first, second or tenth book. In Writing Nonfiction, Poynter exemplifies his own tried and true techniques for organizing, researching, publishing, and selling expertise in written form.

I highly recommend Writing Nonfiction as an excellent guide and on-the-shelf reference. If you plan to write a book its a must have. If you don't have plans to write a book, but desire succ
Mick Pletcher
Apr 24, 2013 Mick Pletcher rated it it was amazing
This book is very informative. It guides you from how to choose a topic, to narrowing down the topic and finally how to write your book. One great thing I never thought about that the book tells is to dictate while driving. It also tells of sources for writing templates and how to find out how popular a topic is. The source information given in the book is very helpful in researching the topic. This book is definitely worth reading when writing non-fiction.
Vicki Ward
Dan Poynter is known to be a leader in self-publishing. I used this book following the detailed instructions to write and publish my book. The wealth of information for new and established self publishers is presented in a format easy to understand, and follow. I strongly recommend this book and continue to refer to it.
Karla
Feb 07, 2010 Karla rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for writers.
Derek
Aug 09, 2012 Derek rated it really liked it
Very short, but perfectly entertaining. I took away a lot of good ideas from this book and will probably be returning to it sometime in the future.
LJ
Feb 27, 2014 LJ rated it it was amazing
An excellent source for helping me organize my writing thoughts.
David Salisbury
Feb 09, 2011 David Salisbury rated it liked it
Some interesting tidbits but its just too dated for the current book publishing world.
Adrienna
Mar 02, 2009 Adrienna rated it liked it
This book laid out what you need to know to write. I even took some notes myself for my Blogtalkradio show.
Joe Waynick
May 24, 2011 Joe Waynick rated it it was amazing
A must read for non-fiction authors who want to publish.
Daniel Wieser
Apr 21, 2016 Daniel Wieser rated it really liked it
Good to read, for beginners as well as advanced SPs.
If you ever want to write non-fiction books, this is a great start.
Kelsey T. Lane
Dec 08, 2014 Kelsey T. Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am ready to write.

Using no extra words, Poynter laid out the plan. Practical and inspiring, I now feel like I have a reliable roadmap.
Rick
Mar 02, 2012 Rick rated it liked it
Shelves: never-finished
I never really finished reading this. I just stopped. Don't know exactly why, but I can say it probably did not hold my attention.

Maybe I'll pick it up again. If I do, I'll revise this.
Valerie Lull
Valerie Lull rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Wendy Kenney
Wendy Kenney rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2011
Thentrisius King of Dwarves
Thentrisius King of Dwarves rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2007
Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2015
Ryan Petty
Ryan Petty rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2007
Darren L.
Darren L. rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2007
Darrell Griffin
Darrell Griffin rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2017
Jon
Jon rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2008
Keith Johnston
Keith Johnston rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Glen Andrews
Glen Andrews rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2007
Johnny W. Warren
Johnny W. Warren rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
Meryl Evans
Meryl Evans rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Writing for Story: Craft Secrets of Dramatic Nonfiction
  • Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too!
  • The Art and Craft of Feature Writing: Based on The Wall Street Journal Guide
  • The Writer's Book of Hope: Getting from Frustration to Publication
  • 1001 Ways to Market Your Books: For Authors and Publishers
  • Follow the Story: How to Write Successful Nonfiction
  • The New New Journalism: Conversations with America's Best Nonfiction Writers on Their Craft
  • Writing Creative Nonfiction
  • Keep It Real: Everything You Need to Know About Researching and Writing Creative Nonfiction
  • The Art of Styling Sentences
  • Write the Perfect Book Proposal: 10 That Sold and Why
  • Web Copy That Sells: The Revolutionary Formula for Creating Killer Copy Every Time
  • The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters
  • Time to Write: Professional writers reveal how to fit writing into your busy life
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing
  • Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity Through Social Networking
  • One Continuous Mistake: Four Noble Truths for Writers
Since 1969, Dan Poynter has written and published more than 100 books including Writing Nonfiction, The Self-Publishing Manual, and The Skydiver's Handbook.

Dan Poynter's seminars have been featured on CNN, his books have been pictured in The Wall Street Journal, and his story has been told in U.S. News & World Report. The media comes to Dan because he is the leading authority on book publishin
More about Dan Poynter...