The Other Side of the Door: A Novel of Suspense

The Other Side of the Door: A Novel of Suspense

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Who is more dangerous? An enemy? A friend? Or a lover?

Bonnie Graham stands in the open door of her friend’s apartment. She is alone, except for the dead body lying in a pool of blood on the floor. What happened? What will Bonnie do now? Whom can she turn to?And what role has she played in the murderous events?

Bonnie is a music teacher who has spent a long, hot summer in Lo...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published May 1st 2010)

Linda Galloway
I loved Blue Monday but this one was a disappointment. Not one character was likable and, I'm sorry, but the Bonnie character was particularly unlikable, scatterbrained and weak. I got weary of reading about her drinking coffee and being tired. Whether it was "before" or "after", Bonnie always seemed to be in a confused fog and drinking coffee. And the murderer's motivation was quite unbelievable to me.
Margie
My first stab at Nicci French. I'll keep trying.
The characters were generally flat and unlikeable, and the whodunit aspect was obvious from about page 20. There were some interesting twists at the end, but I didn't really enjoy the slog through the bulk of the book.
Tricia Psarreas Murray
The book started off a bit slowly and I decided to walk away for a while once I reached the next chapter. But then a funny thing happened. There were no chapters! Instead, this book used an interesting Before and After technique to divide the story. I found this method to be quite interesting and it pulled me into the plot pretty quickly. It was almost like reading two books at once, which was really neat.

If you like unconventional books that make you use your brain, "The Other Side of the Door...more
Lynne
They say "Everybody lies". We choose to think that our dearest friends would not lie to us, but do we ever really know another person? This novel tests the boundaries of friendship. Would you place yourself in jeopardy to help a friend? Just how much would you sacrifice for friendship? The protagonist in this novel, Bonnie Graham is asked these questions and also asks them herself. With the dead body of her lover on the floor, she calls a friend to help her... and so begins "The other side of th...more
Jodi

French started out strong with two friends working to cover up a murder. The tension of the first pages was not sustained. Added to the fact that this reviewer never warmed to Bonnie, the rest of the book was a study in the relationships between immature twentyspomething or thirtysomethings year olds.

The “surprise” murderer was mildly surprising and the final resolve of why the murderer killed Hayden was a more plausible reason to me than doing it to protect Bonnie from herself. Bonnie seemed li...more
Suzanne
I thought it was an excellent read. Extremely good characterizations made it easy to get to know these people and the dilemmas they must grapple with. Will recommend to my friends without hesitation
Madrona310
Hmmm, pretty underwhelming storyline. I didn't love a single character. But, I did finish the book, so that says something.
Lucinda
The Other Side of the Door (Minotaur 2010, APA Complicit 2009) is the story of Bonnie Graham, a music teacher in London. The novel opens with Bonnie confronting a dead body in her friend Liza’s apartment. She calls her friend Sonia for help, and the two decide to dispose of the body and remove all traces of the murder from the apartment. But Bonnie can’t find her leather satchel and other items she remembers leaving behind on her last visit to the apartment. Has someone else also tried to remove...more
Tasha Roedl-Rhodes
I felt like I should have liked this book, as the story sounded quite intriguing; however, I hated the main character Bonnie. She was so weak and whined like a small child. I got so sick of hearing, I just want it to be over, that I too wanted the book to be over. There were a few little twists in the end but it was so painful to get there that it did not redeem the book.
Iowa City Public Library
Bonnie has a dead body on her hands and she’s frantically trying to figure out how to get rid of it and the rest of the evidence she may have left in her friend’s apartment. So starts The Other Side of the Door, the latest psychological suspense novel by Nicci French, the pseudonym of English husband and wife writing team Nicci Gerrard and Sean French. The rest of the story unfolds in short chapters that go back and forth in time between what happened “Before” and “After”.

As with all Nicci Frenc...more
Lois
Mystery/thriller that's written in an interesting way, with "before" and "after" chapters alternating throughout. Almost like two stories going on at the same time, and well done, I thought. It is almost 100 pages in that you find out which of a small group of people has been murdered, altho you know from page one that there has been a murder. And then the guessing begins as to who did it, altho you thought you knew that from page one as well. While the small group of people who are pulled toget...more
Heather
The end of the second-to-last chapter let me down, but I liked the twists and turns this book provided. I kept thinking I knew what was happening, and then BOOM--something out of left field happened, catching me totally unawares. Worth the read.
Jill Hutchinson
This suspense novel is written by a talented husband and wife team using the nom de plume Nicci French and it is a dandy. A young music teacher discovers the body of her lover and so begins a tale of cover-up and misunderstandings. It uses the style of "before" and "now" which allows the reader to follow the history of the main characters and how their attitudes affect the situation in which they find themselves. I enjoy French's books and this one is no exception as the characters, many of them...more
Luciano
I thought this book was remarkably good. I love the way French goes from past to present creating a story much richer in contrast than your typical novel.

I ready reviews on how "flat" the characters were. Not even close. I think the characters were amazingly real and the dialogue between them was engaging. At times I laughed out loud at certain conversations because they were so lifelike; nervous situations were people say something "off the wall" because they don't quite know what to say.

The p...more
Lori
confusing to follow at first, picked up the thread, then lost it in the ending
Gina
Another clever book from Nicci French. This one was set up a little differently, in that it begins with the protagonist discovering the body of her dead lover, and having to somehow cover up the crime. It then jumps back to several weeks earlier when she first met him. The two narratives continue simultaneously, flipping back and forth between the two time lines pretty seamlessly. As usual, French introduces a whole host of shady characters who all seem guilty up until the very end. Not as tense...more
adrienna
The only reason I read this book is that I was looking for something immediately available as an e-book from the public library. It was okay. The entire book was written in "before" and "after" passages, which kind of got annoying. There were plot twists (I guess), but things seemed a little contrived and "trying too hard." There wasn't enough context to believe in the characters and why they did the things they did. I don't think I'll read any more novels by this author (who, I gather, is actua...more
Elizabeth Tremayne
This book wasn't as suspenseful as most of the Nicci French books I've read, and the ending reminded me a little bit of a cute sit-com ending - with that little joke and a wink.
Annthelibrarian
Bonnie finds her friend/lover Hayden’s dead body in another friend’s apartment and proceeds to remove it and all traces of him being there, enlisting the help of yet another friend, Sonia. The reader learns the story behind the dead body through a sequence of “Before” and “After” chapters leading up to Hayden’s death. Although I wanted to keep reading the find out who killed Hayden and why- overall this book didn’t work for me.
The behaviors of the characters didn’t ring true. I’d rate it somewhe...more
Tracy
Somewhat predictable until the last 100 pages, then it was one twist after another.

Irene
HB -- It is another '10 little indians' themed book. the main characters are ad hoc punkish band including girls who are getting ready to entertain at a friend's wedding. Set in England in an area for young folk. a female band member falls hard for an older free loving guitarist. His past becomes his demise. In the end the reader can chose 3 possible and likely killers or maybe all 3.
Sharon
The going back and forth between "before" and "after" was sometimes a bit confusing. Although my review may not be good as I was distracted many times when I was reading it and may have needed to give it more focus. I was able to get to know the main characters. I liked fairly well. It seemed that by the end of the book, you could read the last page and then start it over again.
Kim  Graham
Not my fav Nicci French book. It seemed sloppily put together and somewhat predictable.
Lolly LKH
This did not seem like a Nicci French novel. I was disappointed and I did not like the style, going from before to after every few pages. I thought the murderer was somewhat 'silly' and the emotions lacked a sense of reality. There was too much 'calmness' when you expect chaos. It just didn't work for me, and I consider myself a die hard Nicci French fan.
Michele
Fast paced who dunnit. Flipped from before the murder to after the murder. Enjoyable read.
Paula
This book was about a killing. I rated it a 3 because it went back and forth from before to after the murder.
I hate reading these kind of books. The lover covers up the killing because she thinks a guy friend/lover did it.
I dont' like reading books that go back and forth plain and simple.
Lucy
The description of this book is such a spoiler, I can barely believe it. If you haven't read above yet, DON'T...don't even glance.

Anyway, I enjoy Nicci French noels generally, but this one was weak in comparison. The tension wasn't there for me, making it a bit of a slog to read.
Lori
absolutely hated it. read something else by this author years ago and didn't like it. in both that and this one the lead female character lets her boyfriend abuse her and excuses it away because he had a troubled childhood. goes as far as to say she deserved it. don't bother
Jane
I thought it was poorly written and based on a somewhat ridiculous premise. The 'before' and 'after' construction didn't bother me, but things such as describing what Bonnie can see outside when she's lying in bed with a duvet over her head are just plain careless.
  • The Deadly Percheron
  • Deviant Ways
  • Darkhouse
  • Midnight Rain
  • Diary of a Confessions Queen
  • Postcards from Berlin: A Novel
  • The Darkness Gathers (Lydia Strong, #2)
  • Play to the End
  • Beginner's Grace: Bringing Prayer to Life
  • The Night Ferry
  • Never Look Back (Look Trilogy, #2)
  • The Last To Know
  • Requiem
  • Blind Fury (Anna Travis Mystery, #6)
  • The Chameleon's Shadow
  • The Rug Merchant
  • The Pre-Nup
  • Murder in the Sentier (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #3)
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature...more
More about Nicci French...
Blue Monday (Frieda Klein, #1) Killing Me Softly Beneath the Skin Secret Smile The Red Room