Start by marking “Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Observing that the understanding of the Founders of the American Constitution influences the opinion of contemporary America, this book demonstrates why the Founders were indeed sincere in their belief of universal human rights and in their commitment to democracy.
Published November 28th 2000 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers (first published January 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Vindicating the Founders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vindicating the Founders

Kim
Sep 13, 2007 Kim rated it did not like it
Sexist, elitist crap. Right facts, wrong interpretation.
Brad
Dec 19, 2007 Brad rated it it was ok
I have to be honest about West's "Vindicating the Founders." It is simply WAY too politically motivated. West is a great author, but his analysis of the Founding Fathers, especially when it comes to slavery, is extremely bias. I guess if you are a supercharged conservative you might like this book.
Nd
May 22, 2014 Nd rated it did not like it
In the "Founding Fathers' Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots Competition" of the flurry of books and articles on this topic in recent years, this book wins "Most Ridiculous".

The author makes enormous attributive mistakes. He completely misses the role of the Quakers and the Quaker-based founders and attributes their thinking to contractual patriarchs of the North such as Adams and institutionalized patriarchs of the South such as Jefferson and Madison. He uses some of the standard "Women Voters Are Whores
Hyrum
Aug 02, 2014 Hyrum rated it really liked it
If you are someone who is willing to give the founders the benefit of the doubt you will love this book, if you are not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt then this book will probably just up set you.

I found it well researched, well argued and believable. There were a few sources and quotes he used multiple times but they never seemed over used like that was all he was relying on. Some might find it odd that he used quotes from Abraham Lincoln in a book about the founding. They were n
John
Jan 06, 2011 John rated it liked it
I first bought this book for a class in college. I decided to pick it up again and read it because I wanted to gain a better appreciation of the Founders and what they were thinking when they founded this country. It isn't the most readable book, but it does contain some interesting rhetoric.

Each chapter in the book discusses a different topic, such as property rights, poverty and welfare, and women and voting. I felt that some of the author's arguments were quite convincing, but I also felt th
Aaron
Dec 27, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and thought it was surprisingly relevant to the current state of affairs in the United States. It's easy to point to leaders of the past and "forgive" them for being naive or not wholly competent, but West exposes these attacks for what they really are - cheap, incorrect, and frequently deceptive.

If you already "know" that the founders of the United States were sexist and racist, you'll hate this book. On the other hand, if you can read with an open mind, you'll surel
Justin S.
Feb 18, 2016 Justin S. rated it really liked it
I cannot say enough good things about this book. Our founding fathers don't deserve the amount of criticism they often receive. Like the book talks about ........ You have to go back more than 2,000 years to find anything close in comparison to the republic our wise foudnig fathers created. I'm glad to own this book.
Rob
Apr 13, 2012 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author sets the record straight regarding the inaccurate historical perceptions of the Founders and early America that have been perpetuated by liberal historians over the past 50-60 years. Overall, a well-researched and enlightening read.
Bdabling
Jul 15, 2011 Bdabling rated it it was amazing
Probably the best introduction to the American Founders' political thought. This book deals with the ideas and arguments of the Founders rather than simply relying on the authority of their quotes to carry the burden. And West is a Claremont grad!
Lauren
Jul 15, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm obsessed with the Founding Era and this book help to feed that. Some parts were a bit dull and repetitive, but I learned some fantastic new quotes from my one and only, Thomas Jefferson.
Mike Emett
Sep 21, 2011 Mike Emett rated it it was amazing
INCREDIBLE! Brings to light what the Founders REALLY thought and wanted for us. Best book on them. Not liberal or conservative bias. Straight and honest
Craig J.
"Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America by Thomas G. West (2001)"
[Name Redacted]
Jul 15, 2011 [Name Redacted] marked it as to-read
I'll have to give this a read, considering how incredibly different the responses to it have been.
Terry Earley
Mar 26, 2009 Terry Earley rated it liked it
Good review of modern core issues treated by the Founders.
David Fleming
David Fleming rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
K.M.
K.M. marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Kristal Squire
Kristal Squire marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Herr Bellerophon
Herr Bellerophon marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Alia
Alia marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Sean Neilland
Sean Neilland marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Jennifer Petit
Jennifer Petit is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2016
Dvdlynch
Dvdlynch marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Claire Stamper
Claire Stamper marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
  • What Kind of Nation: Thomas Jefferson, John Marshall, and the Epic Struggle to Create a United States
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • The End of Racism: Finding Values in an Age of Technoaffluence
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers
  • On Tyranny
  • Death by Government
  • We Still Hold These Truths: Rediscovering Our Principles, Reclaiming Our Future
  • Who Killed the Constitution?: The Assault on American Law and the Unmaking of a Nation
  • Liberty's Blueprint: How Madison and Hamilton Wrote the Federalist, Defined the Constitution, and Made Democracy Safe for the World
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents: From Wilson to Obama
  • The Roosevelt Myth: 50th Anniversary Edition
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • The Dirty Dozen: How Twelve Supreme Court Cases Radically Expanded Government and Eroded Freedom
  • The Devil's Pleasure Palace: The Cult of Critical Theory and the Subversion of the West
  • The Heritage Guide to the Constitution