Start by marking “Destroyer (Foreigner, #7)” as Want to Read:
Destroyer (Foreigner, #7)

Destroyer (Foreigner #7)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,499 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Klappentext:

It has been two years since the starship Phoenix left Alpha Station on a rescue mission to a faraway sector of space where over four thousand human spacers were under attack by a hostile alien race. Now, the Phoenix is almost home, having successfully rescued the stranded colonists through the combined negotiating talents of Bren Cameron-brilliant human paitihi
Published February 7th 2006 by DAW (first published February 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Destroyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destroyer

The_Mad_Swede
I've been a fan of C. J. Cherryh since I first read Foreigner (the first part in her Foreigner universe series) a little more than five years ago. I've since read (with this one) six sequels in that series as well as the first novel in her Chanur series (and have managed to accumulate quite a few more books by her on my shelves). And so far, she has not yet let me down.

Part of what fascinates me about her writing is her strong ability to depict a meeting between cultures, a meeting with the Othe
Sandra
Once again, Cherryh has proven herself master of political intrigue and tight, suspenseful plotting. This is one of the best. This story also includes some deep emotional scenes -- between Bren and his old love, Barb who is now with his brother Toby; between Bren and Jago as he assures her his future and his heart lies with her, although, of course, he doesn't say 'heart' as that is meaningless to atevi. There's also a touching scene between Cajieri, the aiji's heir, and his new adolescent frien ...more
J.C. Webb
Return to the planet of the Atevi! (view spoiler)

Th
Kaushik Iyer
Read right after Explorer, Destroyer requires patience. We're back at the Atevi planet, the dramatic resolution to the Kyo affair has resulted in a ship crew that's tired and looking forward to the promised paradise of inter-species harmony.

What they get is chaos. Everything we took for granted in the first six books (Tabini in control, the aishidit’at in peace, Barb being annoying) stops being true. The amazing thing is that Cherryh makes this breakdown of Atevi society completely believable.

Th
Kristin
I love this series. The world and character building are outstanding, there is so much subtlety within those typed pages, and it's a thinking book as much as it is an action book. I find this combination absolutely perfect and absorbing.

These are not stand alone books and I highly recommend you start at the beginning with Foreigner.

As with most of Cherryh's books, this starts out somewhat sedately, then before you know it, you are being sucked along with the characters and while it's not Fast
Beverly
While certainly not as action packed as the previous books (mostly notably its immediate predecessor), Destroyer packs a punch nonetheless. Finally, we have a longer interaction with Barb and Toby and Cajeiri takes precedence. As always with the Foreigner series, there are long sections of stream of consciousness, interspersed with dialog and summary designed to keep the reader on their toes- this is not a book to read while you're tired. Much of the action takes place "behind the curtain" and i ...more
Mark
I continue to be impressed by C. J. Cherryh's works. This one is seventh in what has become a nine-book story arc. Consequently, there's quite a bit of catching up and telling-not-showing going on in the first bit. And the protagonist is still a bit introspective for my tastes.

Still, all of that doesn't matter against the wonderful descriptions and best alien psychology and culture in the genre today. The atevi are rich and very real people who, at the same time, are comprehensible and utterly a
Emotonal Reads
Emilie
CJ Cherryh is one of my all-time favorite authors and this nonet is probably her best effort. It's got everything -- politics (lots of it), really great aliens, culture clashes of monumental proportions, great charaters... I can't say enough about it.

The story is absorbing -- a lone human diplomat becomes embroiled in the political life of an alien culture that's just similar enough to his own to be comfortable and just different enough for that comfort to be extremely hazardous. In the course o
Liberty
It was very nice to return to the atevi planet in this one. While I enjoyed the journey through space, I first fell in love with this series because of her lovingly crafted and complex inter-species world. And even though it was falling apart, I felt almost as much relief as Bren to be back where the world curves down, with fresh water and air, and the same awful politics.
Stuart
The seventh book in the Foreigner universe, the start of the third trilogy. As I have said before, like meeting old friends after a long absence. But this was not the best Foreigner book. All the books in the series have a rhythm, with lots of thoughts and politics taking up most of the book, followed by an action crescendo towards the end. That's one of the attractive things about the series - the way the author has us get partially inside the alien Atevi mind - understanding the nuances of mea ...more
Taueret
I love this series, but I listened to the first 6 books narrated by a lady who, in spite of the dodgy transfer from audiocassette to mp3 really gave every character a unique tone and manner of speaking. This is a newer reading with a male narrator and he's pretty terrible- or maybe I just miss the lady. He gives characters really silly voices and of course all his female characters just sound breathy and whiny. I may actually ditch audio and read the remaining titles in e-print.
Jvanvelsor
the Foreigner series continues to be enjoyable and plausible to read. The author's writings about the differences in thinking between species, ties of duty and obligation are fascinating.
Karlen
I really like Cherryh's world-building and this series is one of my favorites. I do think this book would be better for someone familiar with the series.
Trixie
This is a little newer so I don't remember exactly what happened but I'd still read it again.
Allison
Took forever to get started, but was a fantastic read!
Jamie
Another good read, and it's nice to have the atevi in political turmoil this time, while the humans stand back and wait for the fallout.

Bren and the gang return from their deep space mission with exciting news about more aliens, both friendly and hostile, only to find that the atevi government has fallen and there’s a war going on. They hie themselves down to the planet, bringing the 8-yr-old heir whose mixed heritage will encourage peace, and insert themselves into the political situation.
Bjørnar Tuftin
I nearly gave this book three stars based on the strength of the author, the general quality of the writing and the series preceding it, but in all honesty I found reading it a chore. The protagonist spends too many pages whining and doubting himself and thinking in rhetorical questions. I'm hoping the story picks up in book two of this third trilogy, or I'll hide these behind the six first books and pretend I only own those.
Michael
Going with the "it was okay" rating as indicated by the Goodreads system. I rate this book so-so. I have enjoyed the Foreigner books in the past, but this one seemed to spend way too much time in Bren's head with him ruminating, and didn't have enough actually happening. Although the Foreigner series has always been more cerebral than not, this one seemed to be a bit unbalanced in that direction.
Ree Linker
This book suffers in comparison to its immediate predecessor - it's more of a slow burn. Fortunately I like Cherryh's slow burn, and I enjoyed this book. It's nice to see some of Bren's human family/social relationships on better footing (for the time being). It's weird to be back on a planet.
CV Rick
"Oh, I'm halfway there! Yeah-ah, living on a prayer . . . "

Halfway.

Doesn't it bother you, Rick, the riotous mob that going to persecute you for rating this prestigious series two-stars?
Well, it did bother me. But now I'm numb. They can't hurt me any more than this series has . . .
Rick Thomas
Another awesome chapter in the Foreigner series. A continuation of tight plot and sophisticated characters. These characters have become people;well defined individuals that I have come to care about.
Kayci
I think Ms. Cherryh finally found her stride in this series. The last "trilogy" finished off with what I believe was the best book thusfar, but the start of this one is no less magnificent.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
A quick, relatively easy read. The shift from plotting to action was expected for both the reader and the viewpoint character. So much so that to this reader, it almost felt tacked on.
Dave Morris
A delight to return to this series - one of my all time favorites! I've not come across anything like its capturing of what a thoroughly foreign nonhuman culture could be like.
Kaye
Just when you thought that everything was fine, more problems appear!
Me2
I have enjoyed reading all of these books.
Sweetie
After 7 books I must admit to being hooked.
Danielle
May 09, 2010 Danielle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: John
Recommended to Danielle by: Joci
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Suspenseful. Per usual.
Patrick
fun and good character development, as usual for the author
  • Eternity Row (Stardoc, #5)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Changing Vision (Web Shifters, #2)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
  • Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2)
  • The Ruby Dice (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #12)
  • The Madness Season
  • Children No More (Jon & Lobo, #4)
  • Starpilot's Grave (Mageworlds, #2)
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began ...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...

Foreigner (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Foreigner (Foreigner, #1)
  • Invader (Foreigner, #2)
  • Inheritor (Foreigner, #3)
  • Precursor (Foreigner, #4)
  • Defender (Foreigner, #5)
  • Explorer (Foreigner, #6)
  • Pretender (Foreigner, #8)
  • Deliverer (Foreigner, #9)
  • Conspirator (Foreigner, #10)
  • Deceiver (Foreigner, #11)
Downbelow Station (The Company Wars, #1) Cyteen (Cyteen #1-3) Foreigner (Foreigner, #1) The Pride of Chanur (Chanur #1) The Faded Sun Trilogy (The Faded Sun, #1-3)