Blank-133x176
Danny Dunn and the Hom...

Jay Williams

Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Paperback, 7th printing, 122 pages
Published August 1969 by Scholastic (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine

Shawn
I read this as a young boy and just recently had to re-read it as part of my job (we're prepping them for e-book releases). This is the third installment of the Danny Dunn boy scientist/inventor (note, NOT boy genius) series and switches up the formula by introducing the third member of the cast, Irene Miller, in this book (her Dad just moved to Midston, you see) alongside Danny and his bosom companion the thin, dour poet Joe Pearson.

In this installment, children reading this book will learn abo...more
PurplyCookie
Ah, the Homework Machine. A machine that works out arithmetic problems and grammar questions perfectly, and even does social studies homework. Who wouldn't want one? Danny and Joe meet Irene and the three of them immediately are up to scientific mischief, using Professor Bullfinch's new computer to do their homework for them.

Remember that this book was written in 1959 when computers were real computers, taking up an entire large room, with tape drives, blinking lights and lots of buttons. The id...more
Kevin
Feb 22, 2009 Kevin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kevin by: teacher
This book came out in 1958 but I still fondly remember my introduction to computers through it's pages when I was in first grade back in 1963 and I dreamed of actually owning my own computer. It wasn't to happen for 17 more years before I was the proud owner of an Atari 400. But I think the day that I brought that home I was still thinking about the fun Danny, Joe and Irene had with Miniac.
Eugene Miya
Before "personal computers", computer graphics, and the net, I read this book, and had this book read to me by my 6th Grade teacher Mr. Schott. And one of the things I recall was that Danny had to do just about as much work to get the homework machine to do his homework, that he might as well have done his homework.

That gave me a nice edge later in junior high school, high school, college, graduate school, and "the real world". Later, I would hear about hobbyists, and even 8th graders using comp...more
Colin
I think this was an old book of my half-sister's or my mom's that I found as a kid, originally published in the late 50s. I liked the invention/science factor back then, and mightily wished for my own homework machine. As an adult, I was pleasantly surprised to find a feminist element with the main girl character (also into science), and amused by the "advanced" computer that only took up half a room and the dialogue of "Gee, that's swell!" and such.
Lenny Husen
This was a corny book, but WOW, it stuck with me. The lessons these kids learn about computers and how they do all your work for you spoiler alert: or NOT, still hold true today in 2014.
This was written in circa 1955 and was even dated when it fell into my chubby little hands at age 8.

But I STILL remember it, and it was a really good book. I actually think about it from time to time, and it makes me laugh as I struggle with our EHR every single f#ck#ng shift. Actually, I'm getting quite fond o...more
Adiva Siddeky
I think that it was wrong for Danny, Irene and Joe to tell a machine to do their homework for them or to use it to help them for their homework.What kind of kid would do that? Well, I know who. Danny and Joe would .I think that Irene was right that it is not fair for the other kids.I think that Joe is lazy.
Kbreach
Still as great as it was when I first read it in 1972. This time around I read it to my 10-year-old who was enthralled with how advanced The authors ideas of computer technology were so many decades ago he said mom it's like Siri
Greg
This came into my sphere of reading when I was about 10-12 years old, and I remember really enjoying it. The thought of using a computer to help with my homework was really attractive, even though I recognized even then that progrmming it would take far more work than just doing the homework myself. Still, it was an enticing thought, and appealed to my (very) juvenile imagination.
jobiwan6
Found a few of these "Danny Dunn" books in my favorite cousin's room the summer I was 8 (I think) and became obsessed with them. Back then it was hard to find books about science & adventure where the girl was best friends with 2 guys & she was the brainy one. Irene was my Hermione (Harry Potter.) Don't know how well current 8 year olds could relate to "Miniac."
Elizabeth
This book was read to me when I was about three. Lo these many decades later, I still had a vague memory of the plot. I've been trying to find the name of the book for years and finally succeeded. I think a book deserves at least five stars for being so memorable. Now, I'm going to see if the local library still has a copy so I can read it again.
Betty Cross
Great fun. I have fond memories of the misadventures of Danny, Joe, and Irene as they program a computer to do their homework for them. Professor Bulfinch's computer was an advance for the time of writing. In the 1950s, a computer took up a whole room, but his machine would fit in a corner of the office, though it was too big to qualify as a Desktop.
Jodi
I loved Danny Dunn books when I was young. I just read this one to my three youngest and it was a hit! They kept begging for one more chapter every time I read. I'm not sure how much of the science they got, but they sure loved it when Irene pushed Snitcher in the mud puddle! :-)
Kevin Tucker
Dec 01, 2007 Kevin Tucker rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: children, fiction, sci-fi
I remember really liking these stories when I was young. Now, the fact that they were written in the 50's is pretty evident. :-) Still, an easy, fast, and pretty fun to read story.
Andrew kurosaki
Jul 14, 2009 Andrew kurosaki rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a boy who loves inventions.
Recommended to Andrew by: My father
This book is really cool. Danny Dunn with his cool inventions are really cool. Especially if you're a boy interested in inventions.
Elizabeth
Danny Dunn and the homework machine by Jay Williams (1958), [1st ed.]
Mommalibrarian
Weekly Reader Children's Book Club
Tom Dye
First book I ever read.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Tina Walton
Tina Walton marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Bamo
Bamo is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • The Mouse and His Child
  • Secret Identity (Shredderman, #1)
  • The Silver Crown
  • Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #2)
  • Toys Go Out (Toys #1)
  • A Whole Nother Story
  • Cartoon History of the Universe I, Vol. 1-7: From the Big Bang to Alexander the Great
  • The House of Dies Drear
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Owl at Home
  • The Pink Motel
  • Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
Jay Williams (May 31, 1914–July 12, 1978) was an American author born in Buffalo, New York, the son of Max and Lillian Jacobson. He cited the experience of growing up as the son of a vaudeville show producer as leading him to pursue his acting career as early as college. Between 1931 and 1934 he attended the University of Pennsylvania and Columbia University where he took part in amateur theatrica...more
More about Jay Williams...
Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint (Danny Dunn, # 1) Everyone Knows What a Dragon Looks Like The King with Six Friends Danny Dunn, Invisible Boy (Danny Dunn, #13) Danny Dunn and the Smallifying Machine (Danny Dunn, #11)