Start by marking “Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Danny Dunn and the Hom...

Jay Williams

Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn #3)

Paperback, 7th printing, 122 pages
Published August 1969 by Scholastic (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine

Shawn
I read this as a young boy and just recently had to re-read it as part of my job (we're prepping them for e-book releases). This is the third installment of the Danny Dunn boy scientist/inventor (note, NOT boy genius) series and switches up the formula by introducing the third member of the cast, Irene Miller, in this book (her Dad just moved to Midston, you see) alongside Danny and his bosom companion the thin, dour poet Joe Pearson.

In this installment, children reading this book will learn abo
PurplyCookie
Nov 05, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Ah, the Homework Machine. A machine that works out arithmetic problems and grammar questions perfectly, and even does social studies homework. Who wouldn't want one? Danny and Joe meet Irene and the three of them immediately are up to scientific mischief, using Professor Bullfinch's new computer to do their homework for them.

Remember that this book was written in 1959 when computers were real computers, taking up an entire large room, with tape drives, blinking lights and lots of buttons. The id
Kevin
Feb 22, 2009 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kevin by: teacher
This book came out in 1958 but I still fondly remember my introduction to computers through it's pages when I was in first grade back in 1963 and I dreamed of actually owning my own computer. It wasn't to happen for 17 more years before I was the proud owner of an Atari 400. But I think the day that I brought that home I was still thinking about the fun Danny, Joe and Irene had with Miniac.

Joan
Boy is this one out of date! A table with a computer filling the entire tabletop, called Minimac (Minny for short) and Mini because it is so tiny. Which it actually is compared with The Mark One mentioned in the book which filled an entire room. Kids may consider that science fiction in the opposite way because why would anyone bother with a table sized computer when they could just pull out their smart phone? But when you realize it was written in 1958, you can see it actually is pretty advance ...more
Eugene Miya
Feb 12, 2013 Eugene Miya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before "personal computers", computer graphics, and the net, I read this book, and had this book read to me by my 6th Grade teacher Mr. Schott. And one of the things I recall was that Danny had to do just about as much work to get the homework machine to do his homework, that he might as well have done his homework.

That gave me a nice edge later in junior high school, high school, college, graduate school, and "the real world". Later, I would hear about hobbyists, and even 8th graders using comp
Colin
I think this was an old book of my half-sister's or my mom's that I found as a kid, originally published in the late 50s. I liked the invention/science factor back then, and mightily wished for my own homework machine. As an adult, I was pleasantly surprised to find a feminist element with the main girl character (also into science), and amused by the "advanced" computer that only took up half a room and the dialogue of "Gee, that's swell!" and such.
Adiva
Mar 03, 2012 Adiva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that it was wrong for Danny, Irene and Joe to tell a machine to do their homework for them or to use it to help them for their homework.What kind of kid would do that? Well, I know who. Danny and Joe would .I think that Irene was right that it is not fair for the other kids.I think that Joe is lazy.
May 09, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: type-paper, 2015
Apparently this was first published in 1958 and it's oddly prescient. The protagonist and his friends are tasked with "babysitting" an electronic brain/computer while the professor is away. Their job is to feed information into its memory banks but soon enough Danny gets the clever idea that this machine can help him to do his homework. While the technology may have seemed like science fiction 50 years ago, it's commonplace today. The kids interact with the computer via a voice interface that re ...more
Lenny Husen
Feb 19, 2014 Lenny Husen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a corny book, but WOW, it stuck with me. The lessons these kids learn about computers and how they do all your work for you spoiler alert: or NOT, still hold true today in 2014.
This was written in circa 1955 and was even dated when it fell into my chubby little hands at age 8.

But I STILL remember it, and it was a really good book. I actually think about it from time to time, and it makes me laugh as I struggle with our EHR every single f#ck#ng shift. Actually, I'm getting quite fond o
Mike
Oct 11, 2013 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-series
Danny and Joe, and new friend Irene, are in charge of Professor Bullfinch's newly-invented Miniac computer, which (miraculously) is capable of producing junior-high homework-quality printouts from voice commands.
At over 60 years old, this story has run out of steam. It still made a nice, nostalgic trip back to the Danny Dunn stories of my 5th-grade year -- this was an early story I had not yet read. I would recommend it now only for completeness, as there are other Danny Dunn stories that kids c
Greg
Mar 07, 2013 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This came into my sphere of reading when I was about 10-12 years old, and I remember really enjoying it. The thought of using a computer to help with my homework was really attractive, even though I recognized even then that progrmming it would take far more work than just doing the homework myself. Still, it was an enticing thought, and appealed to my (very) juvenile imagination.
Betty Cross
Great fun. I have fond memories of the misadventures of Danny, Joe, and Irene as they program a computer to do their homework for them. Professor Bulfinch's computer was an advance for the time of writing. In the 1950s, a computer took up a whole room, but his machine would fit in a corner of the office, though it was too big to qualify as a Desktop.
Elizabeth
This book was read to me when I was about three. Lo these many decades later, I still had a vague memory of the plot. I've been trying to find the name of the book for years and finally succeeded. I think a book deserves at least five stars for being so memorable. Now, I'm going to see if the local library still has a copy so I can read it again.
jobiwan6
Found a few of these "Danny Dunn" books in my favorite cousin's room the summer I was 8 (I think) and became obsessed with them. Back then it was hard to find books about science & adventure where the girl was best friends with 2 guys & she was the brainy one. Irene was my Hermione (Harry Potter.) Don't know how well current 8 year olds could relate to "Miniac."
Daniel R.
Jan 16, 2016 Daniel R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unexpected and amusing children's read that I received as a birthday present. Definitely written to convey moral messages about cheating and friendship. Given its 1958 publishing date it had a realistic female character interested in science (although confined to the trope of choosing between two males) and a realistic portrayal of a computer and its limitations.
Kbreach
Mar 02, 2014 Kbreach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
Still as great as it was when I first read it in 1972. This time around I read it to my 10-year-old who was enthralled with how advanced The authors ideas of computer technology were so many decades ago he said mom it's like Siri
Jodi
Dec 18, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Danny Dunn books when I was young. I just read this one to my three youngest and it was a hit! They kept begging for one more chapter every time I read. I'm not sure how much of the science they got, but they sure loved it when Irene pushed Snitcher in the mud puddle! :-)
Mommalibrarian
Jackson
I like the Danny Dunn book
Cd
Jan 25, 2016 Cd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute series about boy growing in scientist's house, having loads of adventures. Just make sure that the particular volume you're taking out doesn't happen to be about dinosaurs or something like that
Kesef
Jan 18, 2016 Kesef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entire series is a lot of fun, though boys may enjoy out more than girls.
Natalie
my 7-year-old loved this one too.
Andrew kurosaki
Jul 14, 2009 Andrew kurosaki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a boy who loves inventions.
Recommended to Andrew by: My father
This book is really cool. Danny Dunn with his cool inventions are really cool. Especially if you're a boy interested in inventions.
Kevin Tucker
Dec 01, 2007 Kevin Tucker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: children, sci-fi, fiction
I remember really liking these stories when I was young. Now, the fact that they were written in the 50's is pretty evident. :-) Still, an easy, fast, and pretty fun to read story.
 Andrew Johnson
Andrew Johnson rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Alex Melnick
Great kids' sci-fi novel about computers from 1958, back when most people had never seen one. It got across the idea that computers aren't magic, and that getting a computer to do a task requires thoroughly understanding the task yourself. This lesson sat in my subconscious for years, and made learning to code much easier than it would have been if all I'd read and seen were typical kids' sci-fi stories.
Nightsails
Nightsails rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #2)
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • The Mouse and His Child
  • The Silver Crown
  • Secret Identity (Shredderman, #1)
  • You Can Count on Monsters
  • Toys Go Out
  • Cartoon History of the Universe I, Vol. 1-7: From the Big Bang to Alexander the Great
  • A Whole Nother Story
  • The Space Ship Under the Apple Tree
  • The Mystery of the Crimson Ghost
  • The House of Dies Drear (Dies Drear Chronicles, #1)
  • The Missing Persons League
Jay Williams (May 31, 1914–July 12, 1978) was an American author born in Buffalo, New York, the son of Max and Lillian Jacobson. He cited the experience of growing up as the son of a vaudeville show producer as leading him to pursue his acting career as early as college. Between 1931 and 1934 he attended the University of Pennsylvania and Columbia University where he took part in amateur theatrica ...more
More about Jay Williams...

Danny Dunn (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint (Danny Dunn, # 1)
  • Danny Dunn on a Desert Island (Danny Dunn, #2)
  • Danny Dunn and the Weather Machine (Danny Dunn, #4)
  • Danny Dunn on the Ocean Floor (Danny Dunn #5)
  • Danny Dunn and the Fossil Cave (Danny Dunn, #6)
  • Danny Dunn and the Heat Ray  (Danny Dunn #7)
  • Danny Dunn, Time Traveler (Danny Dunn, #8)
  • Danny Dunn and the Automatic House (Danny Dunn, #9)
  • Danny Dunn And The Voice From Space (Danny Dunn, #10)
  • Danny Dunn and the Smallifying Machine (Danny Dunn, #11)