Start by marking “Financially Ever After” as Want to Read:
Financially Ever After

Financially Ever After

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  11 reviews

Your Guide to Managing the Real Dollars--and the Real Emotions--of Your Relationship

Too often with money, couples face two choices: fight and risk making the situation worse, or keep quiet and risk making the situation worse. "Financially Ever After" offers a third option: family financial fluency--the insight, knowledge, and vocabulary every couple needs to communicate ef

Published (first published March 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Financially Ever After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Financially Ever After

Beckie
"Financially Ever After" is a fairly basic look at the practical relationship between money and marriage. Author and Wall Street Journal columnist Jeff Opdyke has some opinions, especially when it comes to joint versus individual accounts, but most of his advice is beyond debate. (OK, I think he overestimates the chances of one's kid getting a sizable outside college scholarship.)
The bulk of the book covers basic topics like budgeting, but addresses the emotional as well as practical elements of
Heather
In the spirit of having just gotten married, I am delving into financial planning reading. Since we were "older" (relatively speaking) when we got married, we have each been financially independent for many years. So, this was a great first step into understanding the psychology of finances for a couple. And for anyone that tells you this isn't a major issue in every marriage, they're lying. Money can make or break a marriage, whether both people work or one person works.

I appreciated the honest
L
A little outdated with the aspects with "balancing a cheque book", a concept I feel many people either don't know how to do or are doing away with. The book covers very typical things and primarily center around communication. What relationship book isn't about communication? The 10 questions to ask your partner about finances was helpful. The most memorable tip was using the Gatekeeper (one person manages all) or the Tag Team (both equally manage) style of financial planning. I'm sure there are ...more
Curt
Good ideas on how to handle finances as a couple - tips for avoiding arguments, etc. Some good advice on budgeting, and handling daily finance. Also some good tips on things to know about a person before getting married (or for learning after the fact if you are already married). Not all was applicable for me, but is helpful for the many instances I have to work with couples on their finances.
Erica
Geared towards couples thinking of getting married and/or sharing financial responsibility. It did not give many tips for the already married folks. I could have used more nitty-gritty how to with how to run finances when married, but instead it focused more on the psychology of managing money with a partner.
Cate
Some of the info might feel a bit dated or redundant for someone who is currently in a successful marriage or who has at least been there and done that. However, this would be a great read for a young newly engaged couple.
John
Everything you need to succeed financially as newlyweds rest in your larynx and you head. Express without anger, that are not belittling and hurtful. Talking will do much more for you than silence.
Jenny
Not really aimed at me, but the best advice was to communicate lots and discuss life & financial goals with my partner.
Brad
Basic, sound advice. Too bad Melanie and I didn't read it 17 years ago.
Eric
Some interesting ideas about money management
Libia
Libia marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Alexis
Alexis added it
Apr 20, 2015
Changokun
Changokun marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Saidi Sihem
Saidi Sihem marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Garwen Jackson
Garwen Jackson marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Kalem Wright
Kalem Wright marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Emma Ward
Emma Ward marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Wall Street Journal. Complete Personal Finance Guidebook Piggybanking: Preparing Your Financial Life for Kids and Your Kids for a Financial Life Love & Money: A Life Guide for Financial Success Protecting Your Parents' Money: The Essential Guide to Helping Mom and Dad Navigate the Finances of Retirement The Wall Street Journal. Personal Finance Workbook