Start by marking “Making Beer” as Want to Read:
Making Beer

Making Beer

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A former dark-ale champion of Vermont shares his recipes, reveals his secrets, and introduces readers to an entire community of beer connoisseurs, in a comprehensive guide to preparing and bottling first-class porters, stouts, ales, and lagers, at home and on the cheap. Illustrations.
Published September 6th 1994 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published April 12th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Making Beer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Beer

Alice
Have you ever wanted to open a time capsule, but you don't know where to dig one up? If so, might I suggest that you read this book?

The single most defining feature of this book is that it was written in the mid-1980s, when both homebrewing and commercial beer were so far from what we have now that the book can be of little use more than a glimpse back in time. Most amusing is the author's assertion towards the end of the book that this "micro-brewing" thing isn't going to go anywhere fast. Uh..
Monty
A fun, informative read, which (mostly) confirms my long-held conviction that I (probably) don't really want to expand from extract brewing to all-grain brewing.
Justin
This book was loaned to me by my buddy Rick, the one who oversaw my first home-brewing attempt! While this book was a bit dated (1984) and portrayed some questionable tastes (Pilsner Urquell is something to aspire to? blech!) it was an entertaining narrative about the beginnings of a home-brewer. It was, at the same time, informative about various aspects of home brewing, and provided a down-to-earth exploration of a home-brewer’s quest to learn more about starting his own brewery. Altogether it ...more
Nick Klagge
Picked this up in a used bookstore on a whim. Not a bad light read. It's mostly about the experience of being a homebrewer, though it does have a couple of recipes in the back. It was interesting to read since it was written before the American craft beer renaissance. In all, it made me feel somewhat disinclined to try all-grain brewing and definitely disinclined to ever try to start a brewery, but encouraged to continue in my partial-mash forays.
Max
Excellent advice that is deftly interwoven with supportive storytelling about the author's experiences with homebrewing.
bubbles (Albert)
Interesting, but I was expecting more about beer making, and less about culuture of home-brewing.
Brian K,
Brian K, marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Jan 19, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Eder Lopes
Eder Lopes marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Mike Heyd
Mike Heyd marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Lee
Lee added it
Mar 31, 2011
Jimt
Jimt added it
Jul 20, 2008
Making Beer: Revised Working Together Working Together: Employee Participation In Action