Start by marking “Making Beer” as Want to Read:
Making Beer

Making Beer

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  13 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A former dark-ale champion of Vermont shares his recipes, reveals his secrets, and introduces readers to an entire community of beer connoisseurs, in a comprehensive guide to preparing and bottling first-class porters, stouts, ales, and lagers, at home and on the cheap. Illustrations.
Published September 6th 1994 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published April 12th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Making Beer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Beer

Alice
Sep 13, 2012 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wanted to open a time capsule, but you don't know where to dig one up? If so, might I suggest that you read this book?

The single most defining feature of this book is that it was written in the mid-1980s, when both homebrewing and commercial beer were so far from what we have now that the book can be of little use more than a glimpse back in time. Most amusing is the author's assertion towards the end of the book that this "micro-brewing" thing isn't going to go anywhere fast. Uh..
Monty
Nov 28, 2014 Monty rated it really liked it
A fun, informative read, which (mostly) confirms my long-held conviction that I (probably) don't really want to expand from extract brewing to all-grain brewing.
Justin
Mar 28, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it
This book was loaned to me by my buddy Rick, the one who oversaw my first home-brewing attempt! While this book was a bit dated (1984) and portrayed some questionable tastes (Pilsner Urquell is something to aspire to? blech!) it was an entertaining narrative about the beginnings of a home-brewer. It was, at the same time, informative about various aspects of home brewing, and provided a down-to-earth exploration of a home-brewer’s quest to learn more about starting his own brewery. Altogether it ...more
Nick Klagge
May 16, 2011 Nick Klagge rated it liked it
Picked this up in a used bookstore on a whim. Not a bad light read. It's mostly about the experience of being a homebrewer, though it does have a couple of recipes in the back. It was interesting to read since it was written before the American craft beer renaissance. In all, it made me feel somewhat disinclined to try all-grain brewing and definitely disinclined to ever try to start a brewery, but encouraged to continue in my partial-mash forays.
Max
Oct 05, 2011 Max rated it really liked it
Excellent advice that is deftly interwoven with supportive storytelling about the author's experiences with homebrewing.
bubbles (Albert)
Aug 25, 2008 bubbles (Albert) rated it liked it
Interesting, but I was expecting more about beer making, and less about culuture of home-brewing.
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Will
Will added it
Feb 20, 2016
Wolfe
Wolfe rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Ted Shepherd
Ted Shepherd marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Christina Allen
Christina Allen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Ann
Ann added it
Feb 02, 2015
Jeremy Trowbridge
Jeremy Trowbridge rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Brian K,
Brian K, marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Jan 19, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Kyle Ryyth
Kyle Ryyth rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Eder Lopes
Eder Lopes marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Mike Heyd
Mike Heyd marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Drew Johnson
Drew Johnson rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Steven Allen
Steven Allen rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012