Start by marking “The Certified Diver's Handbook: The Complete Guide to Your Own Underwater Adventures” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
The real-world guide for divers who want to enjoy their sport to the fullest

More than half of the 1.5 million people who achieve scuba certification each year are stymied in their pursuit of the sport because they lack time and money to enjoy the exotic diving experiences they've read about, and don't want to be confined to group dives. The Certified Diver's Handbook is th
Published May 17th 2004 by International Marine Publishing (first published April 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Certified Diver's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Certified Diver's Handbook

Adam Wiggins
Nov 21, 2012 Adam Wiggins rated it really liked it
I've gotten my basic scuba diving certification. I'm ready to stop following instructors around and really learn to dive. Uh, now what? The dive instructors I've asked about it haven't been much help about how to get off the rails and start learning for yourself.

This book was exactly what I was looking for. The thesis is that, once you've gotten your certification, it's time to become an independent and self-reliant diver. It spells out exactly how to do that: how to rent or buy gear, how to fin
Lori Ann
Sep 26, 2015 Lori Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diving
I can't believe I haven't reviewed this already. This is an excellent reference. The author explains the science behind why different pieces of gear work the way they do. He reminds you how to care for gear, and why the procedures work. Reading the descriptions of each piece of gear is also helpful to build understanding of what features you might want in a new piece of gear.

He also gives tons of advice on optional equipment--enough advice to keep Amazon delivering something new to my house on a
Derek W.  Wade
Aug 29, 2012 Derek W. Wade rated it really liked it
No certification yet, haven't even begun classes. I have snorkeled, and that's what got me interested in diving. This book has me even more interested -- it seems to be to diving what Jules Bergman's "Anyone Can Fly" is to aviation: a great introduction to what you can do, and more importantly, who you can be, as a diver. Very real-world, personable writing style, logically organized, and strikes (for me) a good balance of safety and adventure.
Beth
Mar 08, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: scuba, nonfiction
A very useful read. Yes, there's a big chunk in the middle that's fairly repetitive, especially if you have been certified recently; but the rest of it is pure gold. The chapter on underwater navigation alone is worth the cover price.
Heidi Fidler
May 08, 2007 Heidi Fidler rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in scuba diving
A whole lot! Even after I did my training for my open water certification.
Mike R
Mike R is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2016
Justin
Justin added it
Jun 17, 2016
Tianhua Zhang
Tianhua Zhang rated it did not like it
May 13, 2016
Ahmed M Sammoud
Ahmed M Sammoud marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Gilang Noegraha
Gilang Noegraha marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Maarten
Maarten marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Brett
Brett added it
Mar 05, 2016
Matt Cooper
Matt Cooper rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Adrianne S. Verry
Adrianne S. Verry rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
May 13, 2016
CHAD CHRISTENSEN
CHAD CHRISTENSEN is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2015
Peter Cosman
Peter Cosman rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Mickie
Mickie rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Brad
Brad rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Cody G Hinson
Cody G Hinson rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Trent Andrews
Trent Andrews rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2015
James Parker
James Parker rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Michael Mann
Michael Mann rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Jonathan Levine
Jonathan Levine rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Rev Bruce McCabe
Rev Bruce McCabe rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2015
Michael Zimmerman
Michael Zimmerman rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2015
FischerKing
FischerKing rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Nancy Boore
Nancy Boore rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2015