Start by marking “Yumi” as Want to Read:
Yumi

Yumi (Kokeshi)

Yumi to czarująca drewniana laleczka z Japonii, czyli kokeshi - z nią odkrywamy zwyczaje, ubiory i kuchnię mieszkańców Kraju Kwitnącej Wiśni. Yumi jest bardzo "na czasie" - ma modne stroje, lubi się bawić z przyjaciółkami, zabiera nas nawet do japońskiego sklepu z kostiumami dla przebierańców! Książka-zabawka - zawiera gry na spostrzegawczość (otwory i rozkładanki), rozwij ...more
Published March 26th 2009 by Format (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Yumi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yumi

Suzanne
Oct 02, 2016 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, hardcover
Wow! Such creativity and beauty! Lovely textured hard cover book about a kokeshi - a little wooden doll from a country far away. She loves her patterned kimonos and her best friend. Some pop ups, lovely images and some vertical pages like strips built into the page. Beautiful! I have no idea where this little book came from, just found it in a pile of abandoned children's books in my daughter's wardrobe. I'll pass it on, no more going to waste.
Jaga
May 14, 2010 Jaga rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sophomoric, 日本国
I know almost nothing about present day children books but this one's amazing. Yumi is a doll and through riddles she introduces kids into all things Japanese. I bought it as a gift but feel very much like buying one for myself since stunning artwork makes it an eye candy many adults will appreciate.
Marien Ortiz
I love this books!
Aide Acuna
Jul 17, 2012 Aide Acuna rated it it was amazing
Main characters: Yumi a young Japanese Kokeshi doll
Setting: In her room, at the store, at a party
Point of View: Yumi's telling the story.

Plot: Yumi is a young Kokeshi Japanese Doll who loves to dress up. In the book we are able to visit her closet and meet her friends. We are able to look at her outfits as well as the food she likes to eat. We even get to tarvel to her friends party in comstumes.
main Ideas: In this book we get to learn about the Japanese culture. We learn about their food and
Semnebune
Aug 07, 2014 Semnebune rated it it was amazing
Yumi e o fetiţă curajoasă, inteligentă şi rafinată. Îi place să meargă la şcoală, să se distreze şi să rezolve diverse probleme.

Bine aţi venit în lumea ei şi a micuţelor kokeshi – păpuşi din lemn – din Ţara Soarelui-Răsare. Veţi pătrunde într-un univers al dichisului, presărat cu chimonouri, evantaie şi zmeie. Veţi învăţa cuvinte în limba japoneză, veţi face cunoştinţă cu prietenii ei şi chiar o veţi ajuta în tot felul de „misiuni speciale”: cum să-ţi asortezi chimonul, de pildă.

Fiecare pagină d
Apr 29, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: mc-asian-pacific
Yumi is a Japanese kokeshi doll that takes us on a tour through her world. As we follow her through the book we see Japanese words translated into English along with traditional Japanese cultural items like kimonos, kites, sushi, cherry blossoms, and more. The book would be appropriate for grades k-2 as a superficial introduction to Japanese culture and would require further paired readings to help younger readers develop a more well rounded, no-stereotypical understanding of Japanese culture. T ...more
Barbara
Kokeshi doll Yumi loves dressing up and going out with her best friend Kimi. Readers will enjoy the book's colorful illustrations and the many choices Yumi and Kimi have as well as the folding and sliding pages and one that is cut in horizontal strips so that it resembles the wind on one side and flying kites on the other. Although this won't appeal to everyone, it certainly will appeal to those who enjoy playing with dolls. The fact that readers will encounter a few Japanese phrases, translated ...more
Donalyn
Kokeshi doll Yumi enjoys an exciting day with her best friend, Sakumi as they prepare for a costume party. Elaborate, colorful illustrations with flaps, gatefolds, and cutouts invite readers to explore Japanese culture. Includes Japanese vocabulary alongside English.
Carla Vazquez
Jul 14, 2012 Carla Vazquez rated it really liked it
This book is geared to the primary grades. It is simple for the kids to read. The book is about a kokeshi doll from Japan who like to dress up. It gives children a chance to see a different culture. The pictures in the book are detailed and may grab the childs interest right away.
Vim
Nov 04, 2012 Vim rated it really liked it
A very creative and beautifully thought and published book. This book is simply a work of art. I envy the kids that are able to read this in such a young age. I want to read more books made like this one!
Klaudia
Aug 29, 2010 Klaudia rated it it was amazing
I've recently bought it... for myself and I'm an adult. It was so cute I couldn't stop myself. If I have a bad day all I have to do is look at all these colourful and funny illustration and everything is all right again.
Fives OnTheFly
Oct 19, 2012 Fives OnTheFly rated it really liked it
Yumi is a wonderfully engaging book with a very cute story line. Reader's follow Yumi along on her day out and help her with a variety of tasks. We all loved in introduction of some primary Japanese words and phrases.
hannah
Maybe a tad too busy for my taste as an adult, but I would have pored over this for hours as a kid and loved it. Kawaii indeed.
Jing Yang
Mar 20, 2013 Jing Yang rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
Easy to flip through. Would be a perfect gift for 5-yr old kid. I am happy to encounter this book in Salem, MA and bought it online as a gift
Andromeda
Dec 12, 2014 Andromeda rated it it was amazing
I am in love with the entire series. Very happy, very cute, great introduction of vocabulary. I also read this one in Finnish.
Jac
Jac rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Eliza
Eliza rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Margie
Margie rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Thabata
Thabata rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
W.
W. rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Alina Cameron
Alina Cameron rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2017
Melanie
Sep 15, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My daughter and I are crazy for Yumi! Can't wait to read the other books!
Daiana
Daiana rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Paulette
Paulette rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2012
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2014
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Kim Holland
Kim Holland rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2013
Anastasia Kostromina
Anastasia Kostromina rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013