Start by marking “Between Pacific Tides” as Want to Read:
Between Pacific Tides

Between Pacific Tides

4.65 of 5 stars 4.65  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  10 reviews
One of the classic works of marine biology, a favorite for generations, has now been completely revised and expanded. Between Pacific Tides is a book for all who find the shore a place of excitement, wonder, and beauty, and an unsurpassed introductory text for both students and professionals.

This book describes the habits and habitats of the animals that live in one of the
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 652 pages
Published January 1st 1992 by Stanford University Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Between Pacific Tides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Pacific Tides

Ken-ichi
You know how finishing a great novel leaves a gaping void in your life? Well, having just finished Between Pacific Tides, a nigh-encyclopedic account of the intertidal invertebrates found on the California coast, I feel just the opposite. This book is not a story that ends, but an introduction to a world of endless fascination, suffusing the reader (well, this reader) with the wonder and curiosity of its authors, particularly of the legendary Ed Ricketts, original and primary author of the book, ...more
David
This is the book that started my life. Given to me by a white haired college professor when i was 14 years old. It led me to understand and enjoy relationships. It fascinated me because to go any further would have been to run out of air. This is the story of the the edge of the sea, the last place where we can use our human abilities before we must turn into something else.
Hilary
Dec 01, 2008 Hilary marked it as to-read
to be read concurrently with "Log from the Sea of Cortez" and "Cannery Row," ideally on a vacation to Baja
erik d aker
I can't speak for the newest edition because all of Ricketts may have been whitewashed out of it by this point, but the book in previous iterations has been one of the necessaries for my household's understanding of California tidepools and marine ecology. It's also fun to read: a real masterwork, an original contribution.
Mowena Glunch
Ed Ricketts is Doc in Steinbeck's Cannery Row stories. This is a book I periodically re-read: combined interests in Steinbeck, Monterey, Gulf of California, marine biology, boats, Stanford, doing things differently
Tamhack
What a great book to have especially if you do any working along the beaches of the Alaska shores! Great pictures!
Can't wait to hit the beach again!
Nathan Waldren
Oct 05, 2008 Nathan Waldren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever been to the beach
Ricketts was the prototype for the character "Doc" in Steinbeck's Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday, and you can feel a lot of the fellow in his writing. Clearly this was a scientist who meant business, and pursued his work passionately. Very readable, very usable.
Jessica
I have an edition with Steinbeck's introduction. I have not seen the newest edition, but I can still use visual references to the PNW coasts photographed and described. Excellent resource.
wendy
This is the most thorough book on North American Pacific Coast flora AND fauna. This is highly informational, but not really an entertaining read, unless you happen to be a marine biologist.
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Emily Miller
Emily Miller marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Teresa Trimm
Teresa Trimm marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Paula C
Paula C is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Edwin Knepshield
Edwin Knepshield marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Katherine Louise
Katherine Louise marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Catherine
Catherine is currently reading it
May 25, 2014
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Rylan
Rylan marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Renaissance Man of Cannery Row: The Life and Letters of Edward F. Ricketts Breaking Through: Essays, Journals, and Travelogues of Edward F. Ricketts Outer Shores 2: Breaking Through The Log from the Sea of Cortez The Outer Shores, Part 1: Ed Ricketts and John Steinbeck Explore the Pacific Coast