Start by marking “Between Pacific Tides” as Want to Read:
Between Pacific Tides

Between Pacific Tides

4.68 of 5 stars 4.68  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  10 reviews
One of the classic works of marine biology, a favorite for generations, has now been completely revised and expanded. Between Pacific Tides is a book for all who find the shore a place of excitement, wonder, and beauty, and an unsurpassed introductory text for both students and professionals.

This book describes the habits and habitats of the animals that live in one of the
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 652 pages
Published January 1st 1992 by Stanford University Press (first published December 12th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Between Pacific Tides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Pacific Tides

Ken-ichi
You know how finishing a great novel leaves a gaping void in your life? Well, having just finished Between Pacific Tides, a nigh-encyclopedic account of the intertidal invertebrates found on the California coast, I feel just the opposite. This book is not a story that ends, but an introduction to a world of endless fascination, suffusing the reader (well, this reader) with the wonder and curiosity of its authors, particularly of the legendary Ed Ricketts, original and primary author of the book, ...more
David
This is the book that started my life. Given to me by a white haired college professor when i was 14 years old. It led me to understand and enjoy relationships. It fascinated me because to go any further would have been to run out of air. This is the story of the the edge of the sea, the last place where we can use our human abilities before we must turn into something else.
Hilary
Dec 01, 2008 Hilary marked it as to-read
to be read concurrently with "Log from the Sea of Cortez" and "Cannery Row," ideally on a vacation to Baja
erik d aker
I can't speak for the newest edition because all of Ricketts may have been whitewashed out of it by this point, but the book in previous iterations has been one of the necessaries for my household's understanding of California tidepools and marine ecology. It's also fun to read: a real masterwork, an original contribution.
Mowena Glunch
Ed Ricketts is Doc in Steinbeck's Cannery Row stories. This is a book I periodically re-read: combined interests in Steinbeck, Monterey, Gulf of California, marine biology, boats, Stanford, doing things differently
Tamhack
What a great book to have especially if you do any working along the beaches of the Alaska shores! Great pictures!
Can't wait to hit the beach again!
Nathan Waldren
Oct 05, 2008 Nathan Waldren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever been to the beach
Ricketts was the prototype for the character "Doc" in Steinbeck's Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday, and you can feel a lot of the fellow in his writing. Clearly this was a scientist who meant business, and pursued his work passionately. Very readable, very usable.
Jessica
I have an edition with Steinbeck's introduction. I have not seen the newest edition, but I can still use visual references to the PNW coasts photographed and described. Excellent resource.
wendy
This is the most thorough book on North American Pacific Coast flora AND fauna. This is highly informational, but not really an entertaining read, unless you happen to be a marine biologist.
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Alexandra Flores
Alexandra Flores marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Kat Delf
Kat Delf marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Andrew Richards
Andrew Richards marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Anton
Anton marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
André
André marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Zachary Bass
Zachary Bass marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
P D
P D marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Renaissance Man of Cannery Row: The Life and Letters of Edward F. Ricketts Breaking Through: Essays, Journals, and Travelogues of Edward F. Ricketts Outer Shores 2: Breaking Through The Log from the Sea of Cortez The Outer Shores, Part 1: Ed Ricketts and John Steinbeck Explore the Pacific Coast