Start by marking “Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille” as Want to Read:
Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille

Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  47 reviews
A biography of the 19th century Frenchman who developed Braille. The book spans Braille's life from childhood through his days at the Royal Institute for Blind Youth and into his final years, when the alphabet he invented was finally gaining acceptance.
Published September 20th 1999 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Darkness

K.D. Absolutely
He was a bubbly and curious four-year old boy when an awl (pruning knife) accidentally punctured his left eye. He was playing a pretend game in his father's saddle and harness workshop in Coupvray, France. The eye bled. Since Coupvray was far from the city and his parents were poor, only a woman known to have healing powers was called. She dabbed some lily water on the eye and after few days, the infection spread to the other eye. The year was 1812 and there was no known way to control such an i ...more
Nzachariah7
Louis braille is the person who invented braille. Want to know more about him? read this book!!!
Jana
This is such a good book about the life of Louis Braille. It is a very quick read. I learned so much about his life that I didn't know before. He was such a remarkable young man and accomplished the most important task for blind people, in such a short time. I was so impressed with him while I read. My son needed to read this book for school and write a report on it, so I decided to read it so that I could help him. I am so glad I did. I am thrilled to know the story of the person that made such ...more
Sarah Rourke
I enjoyed reading this book. It was very informative about Louis Braille's life, from childhood on. I especially liked how this book explained how Louis began rediscovering the world around him. This book did a great job describing the many tasks that Louis had to learn again that we don't even think twice about, such as walking.

This book would best be read for independent reading for grades 4th through 6th. This book would especially be beneficial if the students had to do a report on someone.
Phoebe
Freedman is an expert at nonfiction, though some might quibble with his inclusion of supposed dialogue (really a big no-no in modern children's biography). This 1997 biography of Louis Braille will immediately grab readers' attention through its explanation of how Braille became blind at the age of 4 through a tragic and quite horrible accident. Braille was given the opportunity at the age of 10 to leave his tiny French village to attend the Royal Institute for Blind Youth in Paris. This was the ...more
Suman Biswas
There is a book called Out of Darkness (The story of Louis Braille) by Russell Freedman. It is about Louis who became blind all the time later, when before he was poked by other sharp materials which is slid away and hit his eye that was bleeding. He became blind later on. Somehow he knew how to do something, but he was admitted to a Blind school, where he learned everything like raised dots to punch and perform as much as he wanted and perform alphabets and by using slate and stylus, but it was ...more
Laura Verret
Louis Braille was born on January 4, 1809, to Simon-Rene and Monique Braille. Simon-Rene was a leather man and from the time that Louis was very young, he was allowed to wander around his father’s shop. But he was instructed never to play with his father’s sharp tools. He might hurt himself.

One day, when Louis was three, he wandered into his father’s workshop. He decided to try out his father’s trade – he would punch a hole in a strip of leather just like his father. But things went wrong. The a
Jordan
The theme in this book was change. Louis as a small child had blinded himself in an accident that happened at his fathers shop. It took a couple years to blind him, but he eventually lost his vision permanently. Louis being blind changed the way he learned because he couldn't read or write. Louis also didn't get to play with the other kids because of his vision. It changed his school life, and it changed his social life. Louis is offered to go to a school for the visually impaired, and him chang ...more
Comfort
"Out of the darkness ," by Russell Freedman, is the journey of a boy who finds himself in the dark. lousi Brallie is the boy he had an accident as a boy they tried everything ; but it didnt work. he was known in the town as the boy who cant see then this pierst gave him a chance in this acdamey of the blind . He has developed certain skills at the acamdemy you never was sercerts are kept.

Russell Freedman makes beautiful use of point-of-view. The story is told through limited 3rd person. Russell
Ebookwormy
A simply told and inspiring account of the life of Louis Braille. Freedman covers how he became blind, his childhood, hometown, education and professional development, as well as the obvious accounting of Louis' creation of the language for the blind that bears his name, Braille. His challenges and achievements reveal a man who strove to overcome the sorrowful situation of blindness to bring something to the world that would improve his own life and the lives of others. Highly recommended.
Coleen
A short, but well-written book about the life of Louis Braille. Starting with his childhood and how he became blind, it moves on to his scholarship at age ten to the Paris School for the Blind. There, it outlines his accomplishments, successes and failures which turned to successes. What an inspiration he is/was. the book does a good job of capturing his life, and really made me want to read more about himand his life.
Brynn
I read this book about five years ago and I although I can't recall the details, I do remember how much it touched me and how I enjoyed it. I was used to reading girly pre-teen books and this really opened my eyes (no pun intended) to how serious books could be entertaining.
Amy Johnson
I love this biography. The narration is straight-forward, and there is nothing overtly beautiful or creative about it, but the story in and of itself is beautiful. As I read, I was struck by how Louis Braille was influenced by so many wonderful people. He came from a supportive family who loved him and cared about his education. He was given a chance by a teacher who had never taught a blind boy before, and he received a scholarship from generous strangers so that he could attend a school that w ...more
Sarah Shufelt
Written in simple but effective prose, Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille manages to inform and inspire at the same time. Russell Freedman tells the story of Louis Braille, the man who is famous for his system for people who are blind to be able to read and write print. The text follows Braille from childhood to his death; it focuses on his years at The Royal Institute for Blind Youth in Paris, France, where he was a student and then an instructor. Kate Kiesler’s black and white illust ...more
Heidi
This is a short "history" narration of the life of Louis Braille. It tells how he became blind and how he created "Braille" I found it really interesting not knowing before hand his life story.
Duane
Even though this is a small book, it's jam packed with great information about Louis Braille, the man who invinted the braille writing system for blind people. It starts when he becomes blind as a youth and then finds himself being sent to the only blind school in France. After being there awhile, he starts to experiment with a better style of writing for blind students. The book follows him and does a great job of simple explanations on how he came about with his system and the trials he went t ...more
Liesel Rios
Exactly what I want in a biography for children. The book was well written, left me informed and curious for me. A great synopsis of the life of Louis Braille.
Holly
I learned a ton and so admire Louis Braille. I never knew he was so young when he invented this miraculous alphabet that opened the world up for himself and other sight impaired. Amazing!
Freedman, an award-winning author who has written over forty books, traces the fascinating life story of Louis Braille. Braille’s early years as a sighted boy in nineteenth century France are vividly described, as well as his tragic accident at the age of three that led to his blindness. Freedman expertly tells the gripping story of the determined young man who at the young age of fifteen developed a way of reading and communicating with others that surpassed the inferior methods used during tha ...more
Snorkle
I really enjoyed learning more about the life of Louis Braille, inventor of the Braille system. I had known who he was, but none of the details that made him into a real person. While I thought that this book's story was pretty interesting, I didn't feel as if the writing style was worthy of three stars or higher. I am glad I read this book though, because now I know more about this remarkable person.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Melissa
This book is on my library book challenge this year, and my students love it. They usually check it out because it's short, but they come back saying, "Louis Braille is so awesome." It's a fantastic book for young adults because it's not just the story of a kid who grows up to do something awesome, it's the story of a kid who does something awesome while he's still a kid. I loved it. It was moving and fascinating.
Shellys♥ Journal
Basic Life Story of Louis Braille - inventor of the Braille system for the blind. Braille was born in a small village in France in 1809 and blinded at 4 from an accident in his father's shop. He later went on to be a student at a school for the blind in Paris, which exposed him to the things necessary for him to develop his system.

Great story and inspirational (and historical) bio for kids.
Emma
A short, compelling book about Louis Braille's life and how he created the writing/reading system known as braille. Very interesting story! I have to say the chapter explaining the accident that caused his blindness was pretty darn graphic for a children's book! But other than that...I recommend this.
Calle
This is about a boy named Louis braille, is very deaf and blind so his parents send him to a camp with many blind and deaf kids.

Louis invents a new kind of reading for blind and deaf kids, it is called braille named after him.

This boo is about his life so it has got to a be a biography.
Loraine
This is a really short book, only 8 chapters! I think it could have been made longer with some fiction thrown in to make it more entertaining and less like a documentary. But it was worth the few minutes I spent listening to it, as it taught me things I had never known about the Braille system.
ke-sha
I loved this book when I was Younger and I love it know. Even though it's short I love the Background we get on the Man who invented the Braille System and it's told in a Interesting, Simple, Straightforward way. It Makes you want to discover more about the Man & the System.
Emily
Easy to read book. I first read it to my child for school and now read it every year or so. Very inspiring look at a man who overcame and changed many lives. Thought provoking look at how poersons with disabilities used to be treated, and in some ways still are.
Bonnie Pohlig
This book was amazing! It was so well written - maintains the point of view of a child so well, and does a good job of describing Louis' thoughts and feelings. This book would be excellent to help teach students about children with special needs.
Leah
Feb 11, 2008 Leah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
I cried when I read this book aloud to my children. Mr. Braille was a great teacher and what a great legacy he left behind for those who cannot see. I hope that when change comes my way, I will be courageous enough to accept it.
Becky
My 6-year-old son enjoyed this book very much. Braille really had to overcome a lot of opposition to make his system known and transform the lives of blind people around the world.
  • Shipwrecked!: The True Adventures of a Japanese Boy
  • George Washington
  • The World At Her Fingertips: The Story Of Helen Keller
  • Walt Whitman: Words For America
  • If A Bus Could Talk: The Story of Rosa Parks
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • Helen Keller: From Tragedy to Triumph (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Lost Boy: The Story of the Man Who Created Peter Pan
  • Factory Girl
Russell Freedman is the award-winning author of 47 books, some of which have been translated into a diverse number of languages, including Japanese, Korean, German, Spanish, Flemish, Arabic and Bengali. But Freedman wasn't always a children's book writer.

He grew up in San Francisco and attended the University of California, Berkeley, and then worked as a reporter and editor for the Associated Pre
More about Russell Freedman...
Lincoln: A Photobiography Eleanor Roosevelt: A Life of Discovery The Voice That Challenged a Nation: Marian Anderson and the Struggle for Equal Rights Freedom Walkers: The Story of the Montgomery Bus Boycott The Wright Brothers: How They Invented the Airplane