Beautiful Country

Beautiful Country

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A powerful new collection from an award-winning poet.

At the heart of Robert Wrigley's new book are the fears that find us at the darkest times and the hopes we rise to each morning. These poems explore that point where the sacred and the profane come together, that place of beauty inside the grotesque and the grotesque inside what is beautiful. The laws of nature, the com
Published September 28th 2010 by Penguin Books (first published September 1st 2010)

Paula Coomer
Bob Wrigley's Beautiful Country does exactly what poetry is supposed to do: put us inside the spirit and emotion of a time, place, or event to which we otherwise would not be privy. This process is supposed to lend us knowledge about our own time, ourselves, that elusive agenda item known as "the human condition."

What makes Wrigley's poetry stand up and shout for us is having that spirit expressed in images and language accessible to a great number of us, which we all know from our days of high...more
Bobbi Martens
Robert Wrigley continues to make me slow, pause, reread, think, wonder, and remember. Solid work in this collection.
Johnna
I felt connected to the poetry in this book. Like I've been down the roads, felt the same feelings, looked at my children in the same way. Maybe because of our age, maybe because we live in a similar area. I was especially thrilled to have it signed by the author and have it given as a gift. Poetry is a genre all its own. Let the music of the spheres resonate through the words.
John
"Fraternity" is probably the best narrative poem I've read in a long time. Other narrative gems are "Beautiful Country," "Miss June, 1971," and "Exxon." "American Fear" and "Moose Poem" are also very good. As for the latter poem, you better be careful about which poets your criticize; you might find yourself the subject of one of their poems!
Adam
I don't know how to review a book of poetry. No story to talk about, no main character to discuss...I don't really know? I will say there are a lot of poems in this book that I really liked. There were just as many that went over my head, and there were more than a couple that I flat out didn't like...so...It was good enough.
Ian
Dec 13, 2010 Ian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
My favorites in this collection are probably "A Lock of Her Hair" (http://bit.ly/aLed8I) and "Memoir" (http://bit.ly/eWowoV).

It's hard not to like these manly poems, full of music, wild places, risky memories, heartwood and moose poop. With nothing else to go on, one might wonder whether the poet has ever tried making love indoors.
Susan
This is the first of Wrigley's books I've encountered, and I love his rural, western sensibility. The collection as a whole feels a little less organized than I'd like (I'd have given four and a half stars if that were possible), but individual poems are stunning and the general standard is high. I will read more by this poet!
Craig
Found this one to be extremely disappointing after Reign of Snakes. Not to say that there weren't some gems - especially towards the end of the collection - but overall this book left me cold. Nothing really impacted me. There is plenty of clever wordplay, though. Just not my cup of tea this time around.
Athena
I still like "In the Bank of Beautiful Sins" best of all--but maybe that's because I fell in love with Wrigley's poetry reading that book.
Lynne
One of America's best lyric poets....
Marianka Campisi
Marianka Campisi marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Benjamin Walker
Benjamin Walker marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Allen
Allen added it
Feb 04, 2013
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Tameca
Tameca marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Robert Wrigley is the author of seven books of poetry, including, most recently, Earthly Meditations: New and Selected Poems (Penguin, 2006); Lives of the Animals (Penguin, 2003), winner of the 2005 Poets Prize; and Reign of Snakes (Penguin, 1999), winner of the 2000 Kingsley Tufts Award in Poetry. His book, In the Bank of Beautiful Sins (Penguin, 1995) won the San Francisco Poetry Center Book Awa...more
More about Robert Wrigley...
Lives of the Animals Reign of Snakes Earthly Meditations: New and Selected Poems In the Bank of Beautiful Sins: Poems Moon in a Mason Jar & What My Father Believed