3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Ronnie and Phil Spector made music history with the Ronettes, but as Phil's creative powers began to wane, their marriage soured. He became increasingly reclusive and violent, and Ronnie's life became a constant battle to fend off madness-both his and her own.
Hardcover, First Edition, 318 pages
Published September 12th 1990 by Harmony Books (first published January 1st 1990)

Can't Buy Me Love by Dan McNeilNorwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiBe My Baby by Ronnie SpectorCan't Buy Me Love by Maggie MarrCan't Buy Me Love by Chris Kenry
Books with a Song Name as the Title
3rd out of 40 books — 6 voters
Can't Stop Won't Stop by Jeff ChangSix-Figure Musician - How to Sell More Music, Get More People... by David     HooperBlod Eld Död - En svensk metalhistoria by Ika JohannessonFreestyle For Life by Latif MercadoBlinded by the Sun by Adam Salomon
MUSIC
8th out of 46 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Martin
This was a very fast, compulsive read. A real page turner. I'm one of the biggest Ronnie Spector fans, but I didn't know what to expect. She has some crazy stories about Phil and about her alcoholism, but she presents everything as matter-of-fact. Her writing does not dwell on self-pity or her constant passivity even when she, as a character, is mired in them. What I find refreshing is that she never bashes Phil Spector, even though it would be so easy. The way she described their early professi...more
Laurenemque
She's really obsessed with being loved and adored.
She's always talking about her sex appeal, her hair, mascara or how EVERYONE IN THE WORLD WANTS HER for crying out loud. I never knew she was so arrogant. It's an exhausting read. Delusions of grandeur for sure.
Nell  (andnellwrites)
Be My Baby is a fast paced account of Ronnie's life, from her upbringing in the Spanish Harlem, the breakthrough of the Ronettes, through to her marriage (and breakdown) to mentor and producer, Phil Spector. What immediately struck me about Ronnie is that as much as she was enamoured with music, she was equally (and probably more so) with fame. She isn't shy in coming forward about her ambitions, and once hitting the proverbial 'big time', she relishes in it, regaling in stories of riot-inducing...more
Dave
Fun, quick read. Phil Spector is cray. Just seeing the title of this book gets the song stuck in my head so I'm glad I'm done reading it.
Donald
Oct 15, 2007 Donald rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
As a huge fan of Phil Spector's "wall of sound," I had to read this memoir by his ex-wife, lead singer of The Ronettes Ronnie Spector. "Be My Baby" relates not only Ronnie's rise from rags to riches, and her days as a huge pop star, but her long and sad marriage to Phil Spector, during which she was held as a virtual prisoner in his mansion. Those reading this probably wouldn't be surprised at Spector's arrest years later for murder. He was a genius at producing records, but not a very good huma...more
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Ronnie Spector segir sögu sína á afdráttarlausan en dálítið slúðurkenndan hátt. Hennar stærsta móment var Be My Baby sem hún söng sem forystusauður The Ronettes og svo var hún gift geðsjúklingnum Phil Spector í 7 ár. Það allt saman er frábærlega skemmtilegt að lesa um. Líf hennar var mun minna spennandi eftir skilnaðinn og því eru síðustu kaflarnir fremur boring og maður fór yfir þá á hundavaði. Bókin kom fyrst út í kringum 1990 en var endurútgefin með öppdeiti eftir að Phil drap leikkonuna.
Herzog
Having recently finished Phil Spector's bio, I was curious to hear Ronnie's side of the story. I guess, predictably, it mirrors Phil's. A sensation in her early 20's, she spent many years looking to replicate that success. With the failure of her career, marriage and motherhood, she turned to alcohol which could easily have cost her her life. This book was written more than 20 years ago, but, at that time, she seemed to have faced down her demons. To me she'll always be one of the great voices o...more
Catherine
I'm so glad Esme made me remember I'd read this book. This was a really weird read. Case in point: the way both? all 3? I forget -- of her sons were born. I won't spoil it for you; you'll just have to read it. I read this book about 12 years ago, on the plane going from one place to another. I remember being completely unconscious of the passage of time. I was engrossed in the weird, sad world of Ronnie Ronette.
Esme
Ronnie is an amazing singer but her writing is not so great. That is completley forgiveable because I loved her stories. Very juicy easy read about growing up with stars in your eyes, into a Ronette and Phil Spector's wife and finally into a sad nightmare. Easy read full of really awesome peaks into the music scene with unbelievable tales.
Karen
This caption, from one of the photos in the book, is just one example of the insane things she recounts in this great autobiography-

"A family snapshot taken a few years after my divorce from Phil. That's Donte, standing with Gary and Louis, the twin brothers that Phil adopted as a surprise for me when I got out of the sanitarium."
Jen
Sep 21, 2008 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: struggling r&b artists
ronnie gave me everything i wanted. trashy behind the scenes gossip about the ronettes. detailed accounts of her (near) sexual liaisons with other rock stars (lennon, bowie). intimate musings on her failed relationship with phil spector. i was in pure heaven. ronnie spector is a true diva, and this book lives up to it's title.
Matt Chic
i don't own this but i read jonE/betsy/someone's copy of it. thanks whoever you are. i wouldn't mind reading it again though, cause i don't remember it too well. i do remember the part where john lennon tried to get freaky with her, and got turned down. do you think he wrote a song about that?
Samantha
Apr 08, 2013 Samantha rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: music folks
All in all Be My Baby is a decent autobiography; though it's clear that writing isn't exactly Ronnie's calling, she gets the point across.
Anyone unsure about Phil Spector's innocence regarding the death of Lana Clarkson should read this book. He's a hint crazy and Ronnie knows first hand.
Snarky's
Much like the beloved I, Tina this book tries to capture the bad old days with the 60s male impressarios who in addition to making great music, had good backhands and loved to slap their women around. Ronnie's voice (thank god) is still the sweetest thing and I really loved this book.
Hannah
Ronnie Spector is as much of a character as her husband Phil, and this account of her rise and fall as a pop singer in the 1960's is full of fantastic stories. It tends towards the trashy side, but it's a fun read for anyone who loves the girl group music of the time.
mr. chad
My mom blasted Ronnie's music through my yearly years. It was a treat to find this book, but even if you don't like Phillies Records, or the music of the 50's, I suggest you read this book. A beautiful story of pain and anguish; ending with self-discovery and love.
Bob
Some great stories, especially regarding Lennon and the Stones, but kinda left me depressed. I didn't realize her life turned out to be such a mess. Her writing style is much like you expect so it's an easy read.
Vanessa
Oh the drama! The soapiness! The name dropping! The way that Ronnie totally skirts her substance abuse! The fact that I read this for work! Good times, readers. Good times.
Katrina
Jul 23, 2011 Katrina rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Helen
Zara got this for a school report. I am reading it here and there. We saw her last year at the All Love All Woodstock party and she was awesome! Still lookin' good.
Valerie
Sep 11, 2007 Valerie rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
it was really interesting to learn about ronnie's life and all the craziness. this book was definitely entertaining. i liked it a lot. good stories.
Mark Giddens
one of the funniest and saddest books i've ever read...particularly the part about the phil spector mannequin...
Simone
Phil Spector is EVIL!!!! Also, once Ronnie Spector totally boned David Bowie. Highly recommended!!!!!
Juleigh Jenner
I love Ronnie and her story! How she put up with Phil for so long is a mystery, glad she got out.
Pam
Wonderful book sorry Ronnie had to go through so much. I didn't know Phil was so terrible.
Lettycia
ronnie spector is the joey ramone of my female ideal. i wanna be ronnie spector!
Karen
Love you, Ronnie. And who knew Eddie Money was such a mensch?
Leah
the part where she gives birth in the toilet is awesome!
Jamie
Will not disappoint!
One of my favorite books!
captain america
ronnie: will you marry me?
  • Wouldn't it Be Nice: My Own Story
  • I Put a Spell on You: The Autobiography of Nina Simone
  • Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter
  • Nico: Songs They Never Play on the Radio
  • Moonage Daydream: The Life & Times of Ziggy Stardust
  • Unsung Heroes Of Rock 'n' Roll: The Birth Of Rock In The Wild Years Before Elvis
  • Eye Mind: Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators
  • Princess Noire: The Tumultuous Reign of Nina Simone
  • Brother Ray: Ray Charles' Own Story
Be My Baby: How I Survived Mascara, Miniskirts, and Madness, or My Life As a Fabulous Ronette [Audiobook on 2 CDs, Abridged] Love on a Rooftop