Start by marking “Heartbroken Open: A Memoir Through Loss to Self-Discovery” as Want to Read:
Heartbroken Open: A Memoir Through Loss to Self-Discovery

Heartbroken Open: A Memoir Through Loss to Self-Discovery

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Kristine Carlson had an idyllic life. She and her husband, Richard, had a romantic marriage, two beautiful daughters, and—thanks to the success of Richard's bestselling Don't Sweat the Small Stuff series—all the comforts of the American Dream. But on December 13, 2006, that perfect story took a sudden turn when, on a typical flight to New York, a pulmonary embolism would t ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Heartbroken Open, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heartbroken Open

Krista Stevens
A little too crunchy California feel-good spiritual for me. Kristine Carlson became a widow at 43 when her famous author husband (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff) dies because of an embolism while he is flying to NY. Carlson's spirituality is all over the place, but it seems to work for her. Her struggle is to surrender, accept and trust. Although she's obviously greiving, it all seems to come pretty easy for her. I think she's on a higher enlightened plane than I am.

Two criticisms - she needs to s
Carol
I was disappointed in this book. First of all, it is printed in a very small font so I dreaded pushing my old eyes through it. I did like the cover with the picture of Chinese lantern flower in a stage that would symbolize death.
It is an autobiographical journey of a woman's grief for her husband. He unexpectedly passed away of a pulmonary embolism during an airplane flight. She divides her experience of grief into four stages: Surrender, Trust, Accept and Receive. She details what it was like t
Janet
I liked this more than I thought I would and read it in the course of one day. While the author suffers a sudden and unexpected loss when she loses her husband of 25 years (the author of the Don't Sweat the Small Stuff series), her story is not the least bit maudlin or self-absorbed. The couple shared a deep, respectful, spiritual and physical connection that is to be admired. She clearly and concisely shares her journey through grief into acceptance, highlighting that we can't change our past b ...more
Cecilia Zuniga
I just finished this book. It's a quick and tender read. Kristine does a brilliant job of tracking and sharing her emotional journey through an unexpected loss - the death of her (famous) husband, Richard Carlson - author of the "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff" books. She describe the roller coaster-like ride from shock to a profound opening of her heart. The wisdom and honesty in this book touched my own heart and spirit on a deep level.
M. Lynn
A beautifully written book. For those who don't like her talking about her sexual needs ... put yourself in her shoes. You lost your husband - you're going to be dealing with a lot of different emotions, feelings, desires; emotionally and physically. Her account is HONEST and sincere. I definitely recommend this book to women who have experienced loss.
Carol Rodi
I found the book helpful in that though we came from different situations such as my children are grown, my husband died after a long hard illness, and our ages...but those differences aside, Kristine's words and experiences with grief could have been my own. Therefore, it was affirming to me as I read and found myself saying yes and nodding. It is only four months since my husbands death so I hungrily read the words and experiences of those who have walked this road before me, maybe just to kno ...more
Wendy
Some wonderful stuff here about the grief process, just didn't want to read about her, uh...sexual problems. Still, for a die hard Richard Carlson fan like me, it was really great to get the back and inside stories surrounding his death and more detail about his life. He was the "real deal" and I'm glad this book confirmed that. The book they wrote together, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love" is still one of the greatest books on marriage ever written. You might want to read that, skip this.
Cathy
I could possibly give this book 3 stars, depending on the section. It was sincere, heartfelt, open. Just seemed kinda cheesy and new age-y a lot of the time. I could get on board with some of it, and other parts just kind of made me think, "Seriously??" Fair amount of discussion about spirituality, gurus, "energies" and stuff like that. But I did appreciate her accounts of the emotions she went through following the death of her husband so suddenly and at such a young age.
Regina
This book has some genuine insights, but overall I didn't like it. There is way too much personal information. And there are parts that seemed snooty. Also, I didn't like how mean she was to people who tried their best to comfort her. I do think that Carlson grew as a result of this experience; I just wanted more insight into the grieving process.
Ruthie Lewis
This is a gut-level engaging read that will validate everything you go feel and go through after losing a loved one, or even encourter great loss of any kind. It is healing as well as strengthening.

Ruthie Lewis
Author, Speaker, Life Coach
www.RuthieLewis.com
Shawna
Jun 29, 2010 Shawna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
About a wife dealing with her husband's death. There was an excerpt at Dailylit http://dailylit.com/books/dailylit-bo...
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Sooz
Sooz added it
Apr 01, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Melina Nguyen
Melina Nguyen marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Katandra Nunnally
Katandra Nunnally marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Kimberly Hebert-White
Kimberly Hebert-White marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Moms: Simple Ways to Stress Less and Enjoy Your Family More Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women 2003 Calendar: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time for You