Start by marking “Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction” as Want to Read:
Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction

Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  681 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction provides a complete foundation in the practice of one of the most distinctive and effective Japanese martial arts. To possess the skills, techniques and attitude of the true practitioner of aikido, one must achieve a very high level of integration of the powers of mind and body, the harmonious combination of physic ...more
Published July 1st 2001 by Tuttle Publishing (first published December 15th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere

Jake
In another life, long ago, I was a pretty diligent Aikido student. The whys and wherefores of my abandonment of that art are for another post. Suffice it to say that when I did study it, I read this book, and found it very valuable. More recently, while digging through some things at my parents house and stumbled across it. I remembered it being a well-written book, and start reading through it. And, lo and behold, my memory hadn't deceived me. This is a good book. Actually, it's a GREAT book, I ...more
Joe Oliveri
Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere is excellent as far as martial arts books go (at least the ones I've seen): it provides you with a little history, a little philosophy behind the art, and a lot of discussion of technique & application. Interestingly, the line drawings used throughout the book to illustrate techniques work *better* than photographs here, because the minimalist presentation allows you to see the line of attack, irimi tenkan, etc., which are usually integrated with the drawing. (P ...more
Nick Hentschel
As I continue with my "AIkido Summer Reading List" for 2012, this is the first book I can say that I flat-out NEED for my library. No other book on aikido has offered so comprehensive, or so orderly and logical, a compilation of aikido's techniques, and how they go together. In fact, I was never really able to summarize aikido's techniques UNTIL I read this book!
This is taken together with a concise account of aikido's philosophy, neatly and tastefully worked into the text throughout (this book
Chris
A required text for the shelf of any serious martial artist, this book excels in several areas.

As pointed out in several reviews, the philosophy and technical analysis are equally valuable.

What I don't recall reading is that one strength of this book is in the simplified illustrations, in dorect contrast to the sometimes vague or even misleading (an Aikido pun!) pictures in many Aikido texts.

More than anything else, I return to this book for the clarity of it's ability to distill a technique dow
Stuart
I haven't practised aikido in years, and I think it has some flaws in its modes of practise, but I'm going to try to differentiate here between the art and this book about the art.

I think, quite simply, that this is the best book about aikido I've seen by some distance. It's about as comprehensive a guide as you can get to the techniques of the art, and it incorporates long sections explaining some of its core principles in terms that make perfect sense without drifting off into the mindlessly m
Dave Bryan
ATF Aikido book - excellent overview of techniques with very clear (and now classic) illustrations. Try to get one of the original editions that were printed in Japan and have a slip cover!
Chris Holmberg
In addition to the amazing illustrations, which have been endless copied by aikidoists worldwide, this is a remarkably clear and organized description of aikido technique.
Jake
Shane
I am more into krav maga now than Aikido. I still think Aikido can be valid, but I think the training methodology lacks realism needed to inculcate practitioners against real world threats and stress. Still, this is a great book for any Aikido practitioner.
Ronald Oltmanns
The illustrations are great, especially for someone learning the art. The mechanics of aikido and the imagery of spherical movement is also helpful.
Ahsan
A brilliantly illustrated book about an elegant, spiritual defensive martial art. I devoured the first half and I flipped through the detailed reference section where a variety of techniques are described.

It's a great introduction and the concepts are quite applicable outside the dojo. It helps that the author, Adele Westbrook, is a philosophy major.

The elegance of the Aikido as a physical martial art is best illustrated by a young Steven Segal in this old black and white video: http://www.youtu
Will
I read this book fairly obsessively when I was just starting out in Aikido at Tenshinkan. It did help me memorize a lot of the terminology. Of course the technical descriptions had that aura of "then a miracle occurs" for me then (in origami "a miracle occurs" somewhere between step three and five of the instructions. Most beautiful illustrations.
Garrett
Though I'm not yet practicing aikido, this guide gives me a fabulous introductory feel for the martial art, and seems like it would serve as an excellent reference for the beginner or intermediate aikido student that wants to add a little practice time outside of the dojo. Clear, concise explanations and equally instructive illustrations.
Akmal
Nov 19, 2009 Akmal rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Peminat bela diri
Ini buku terbaik yang pernah saya temukan. Pembahasannya mencakup nilai-nilai filosofis Aikido, lengkap dengan ilustrasi yang sangat membantu. Penting sekali untuk dibaca, baik bagi mereka yang sekedar ingin mengenal bela diri, pengamat, atau yang sedang mempertimbangkan untuk mempelajari Aikido secara serius.
Eri
Feb 08, 2008 Eri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mind-body-spirit
Shelves: inspiring
Understanding Aikido from the perspective of physics and maths, with methodist approach. Great for Aikidoka beginner and anyone who want to reach deep undertanding about this unique martial arts.

Reading this book is just like learning physics & maths in the sophomore year in real and practical application.
Stephen
Oct 29, 2007 Stephen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aikidoka
This book is Musty through and through, despite its having an updated version available. It is:

a MUST have, a MUST dogear, a MUST read, a MUST re-read, a MUST review, a MUST reference for EVERY Aikidoka.
Macamboy
I must have an older version of the edition as I purchased it in 1983. The bible of Aikdo, or at least it was. Hard going at times, but a great reference source.
Vita
Jul 18, 2007 Vita rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aikido lovers
read it while stay in god island...
remind me great times exercise with great suhu... Master Omar!!! thanks for bringing me this fine life art to my world...
Kevin Shannon
Dec 02, 2008 Kevin Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any martial arts practioner or anyone interested in Aikido or Japanese arts.
Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere is the best illustrated Aikido book there is.This is a very good book about the Japanese art of peace, Aikido.
Darin
Jul 21, 2011 Darin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: martial-arts, aiki, aikido, own
This is a classic book on aikido. The line drawings of figures performing aikido that can be seen on many aikido websites come from this book.
Darkling Plain
A good overall introduction to aikido and the techniques. A little lax on the ukemi (breakfalls) but still, not a bad read.
Charles
This is by far the best Aikido book ever written. I highly recommend it. The illustrations are amazing.
Amanda
Dec 03, 2013 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: budo
it's a good technical book. a dry read but informative if you know something about the art to begin with.
Jeremy
Excellent illustrations and explanation of history. Every aikidoka should have this in their collection.
Michael Nova
Amazing reference book for any of those starting on the way, or already well down the path
Charles
Good Aikido philosophy book, decent technique as well, actually one of the better Aikido books.
Lshapiro
A beautifully illustrated introduction to the Japanese martial art of Aikido. Now a classic.
Rommel Miel
Considered as the bible of Aikido. Must-have for aikido practitioners of all levels.
Marcial
Great narratives and superb illustrations. Covers from basic to advance techniques.
Supe
Jan 22, 2008 Supe added it
Philosophy and technique are both important and both given about equal weight
aikido :) 1 3 Jul 08, 2014 11:54PM
  • Dynamic Aikido
  • The Spirit of Aikido
  • The Art of Peace
  • Secrets of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan
  • Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way of Modern Warrior Should Think
  • Autumn Lightning: The Education of an American Samurai
  • Zen in the Martial Arts
  • The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master (The Way of the Warrior Series)
  • Code of the Samurai: A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke
  • Karate-do: My Way of Life
  • Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Basic Training, Vol. 2
  • Angry White Pyjamas: A Scrawny Oxford Poet Takes Lessons from the Tokyo Riot Police
  • Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training and Real World Violence
  • The Life-Giving Sword: Secret Teachings from the House of Shogun (The Way of the Warrior Series)
  • The Bible of Karate: Bubishi
  • The Way of Aikido:  Life Lessons from an American Sensei
  • Bushido: The Soul of Japan. A Classic Essay on Samurai Ethics
  • Kodokan Judo: The Essential Guide to Judo by Its Founder Jigoro Kano
Secrets of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan The Medieval Health Handbook - Tacuinum Sanitatis