A Garland for Girls

A Garland for Girls

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Websters paperbacks take advantage of the fact that classics are frequently assigned readings in English courses. By using a running English-to-French thesaurus at the bottom of each page, this edition of A Garland for Girls by Louisa May Alcott was edited for three audiences. The first includes French-speaking students enrolled in an English Language Program (ELP), an Eng...more
Paperback, Webster's French Thesaurus Edition, 235 pages
Published by Icon Group International, Inc. (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about A Garland for Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Garland for Girls

Truly
“…setiap tumbuhan simbolis hidup di tempatnya masing-masing dan menjalani kehidupannya yang telah ditetapkan.”

Wanita dan bunga

Sepertinya ungkapan yang cocok untuk menggambarkan buku ini. Buku ini berkisah mengenai kehidupan beberapa wanita dengan sentuhan bunga dalam kehidupannya. Antara lain Jessi dengan Bunga Ivy, Jane dengan Bunga Poppy, lalu Ruth dengan Bunga Teratai. Setiap bunga memberikan makna bagi kehidupan mereka dengan cara yang unik.

Cerita yang paling saya sukai adalah cerita Rangka...more
Speakercoret
hadiah ikut kuis di facebook :)
---------------------------------------------------

Sebenarnya sih, aku kurang suka sama kumpulan cerpen, karena pas dapet cerita yg bagus, merasa sayang cuma pendek doang, pengennya panjang biar bacanya lamaaa :p Tp buku ini kumpulan kisah pendek juga ternyata, ada 6 kisah gadis2 muda dan 1 gadis cilik yang dengan caranya masih2 berjuang mengatasimasalah dalam kehidupan mereka, cinta, keluarga, pekerjaan, persahabatan
Ini 7 kisahnya :
1. Rangkaian Ivy & sepatu ka...more
aisha
A little gem of a book. A collection of various stories, each titled with the name of a flower or flowers. They are obviously instructional stories aimed at teaching morals and good graces to young girls. Although the stories are a bit saccharine at times, I couldn't help but admire the way they teach the virtues of patience, hard work, and basically spending your time and energy doing worthwhile things.
AngieA
This hardcover edition printed in 1980 cost me $4.95 and the cover is illustrated with a decidedly 1970s girl in a lace dress and daisies in her hair. The collection of short stories inside are of mixed value, in my opinion. Each is "inspired" by the flowers given to the author during a "period of enforced seclusion." As is usual with LMA, there is a moral or lesson to be learned and virtue is ultimately rewarded.

In "Mayflowers" a group of girls who gather each week to sew and read decide to do...more
K
More priggish, icky, ooey-gooey rot than 'Button Rose' (Chapter Six) never oozed onto paper. This moralising, sentimental twaddle isn't fit to read and Alcott must have been desperate for a bit of cash or she would have been 'raking muck in the streets' before writing such dull goo.
Titish A.K.
Paling suka cerita yang berjudul "Mawar Mungil" <3
Ica Surjo
"Tak ada gadis yang tak cantik, tak ada gadis yang tak menyukai bunga"
Sepertinya kalimat tersebut cukup untuk mewakili isi buku ini.
A Garland for Girls bersi kumpulan cerpen yang sangat cocok dibaca gadis-gadis muda, karena ceritanya sangat manis dan bertabur bunga. Dalam kumpulan cerpen ini setiap karakter diwakilkan dengan bunga, seperti bunga pansy melambangkan kebahagiaan dan kesetiaan.
Jaclynn
I found this book to be a charming and worthwhile addition to the books already on my shelf by Alcott. A collection of short stories, each based on a flower, and full of virtue and character. I probably enjoyed the first story best, featuring a group of girls who decide to go out and make a difference in others lives and then meet again after so many months to share their stories.
Maggie
I am reading this on my iTouch, so it takes a while since I don't read on it often. I am liking this book of short stories, somewhat. I guess the only problem I have with it is the way the characters look down on a lot of people, the poor, those of color etc... But I take the time it was written into consideration, I mean what else can I do :)
Sabrina Neumann
I am sure this would have been a much more enjoyable read when I was ten. The majority of the stories resolved in a fairy tale manner, and the lack of any real conflict made each tale more unbearable than the last.

The fault is not in Alcott's writing style as much as it is with cynicism brought on by age and experience.
Lindasttop
I enjoyed reading this one on my kindle because they used different words back then and I could check and see if I was getting it right. It was a delightfull book of stories about character and morals back in the 1800's. Strong girls who decided to be strong and caring over idle and selfish.
Kathi Olsen
A selection of short stories that made me think of more innocent times. It's too bad that young readers are not satisfied with doing simpler things and reading about them. She always has a moral woven into the story to reinforce values being taught in homes.
Marcie
This is one of my favorite books as a child. Louisa May Alcott was an independent woman when that was not that socially acceptable. Her female characters demonstrate different facets of nineteenth century womanhood.
Shenek
A book of short stories by Alcott that I had never read before. Like most of her work each story outlines a moral. Interesting to see how some morals change over time. I found this book sweet, sensible, and fun.
Cinward
A nice sweet book. Each is a short story with a flower name.

L.M.Alcott stated in the front that she wrote them to amuse herself, inspired by the flowers that she could see, in a forced seclusion.
Jennifer Wyld
Sweet, full of good virtues, everything you want from Alcott! Not one I read as a child, but I enjoyed it and want to do it as a read aloud with my own girls, even though they are teens now!
Sharon
A collection of stories about girls and with a flower theme. It was nice to read about girls improving their minds and helping others, rather than merely looking for husbands.
Silvinita
Es un muy lindo libro de cuentos... Sólo xa quienes disfruten de leer libros clásicos. La lectura es lenta pero simple y llena de enseñanzas jovencitas de la época.
Bonnie
Sweet, in an old-fashioned, quaint way. Made me think of simpler times, and of simple things that one can do to help others around you.
Rachel
A collection of fun little stories, with titles (and morals) taken from various flowers. My favorite is probably Water-Lilies.
Julia
Just the sort of little morality tales you would expect from Louisa May Alcott. Sweet, but a bit treacly for modern tastes.
Jessica
many moral lessons you can get from this book . but for me, why this book is sooooo boring?? dunno how bout u.
Dana
A nice little collection of stories by LMA. I enjoyed some more than others, but each was short and sweet.
Dewayanie prasetio
terpesona reviewnya Retno di multiply.... *maklumlah penggemar bunga nih. Mari kita mulai membaca!
Amy
One of her best -- for young ladies.
Montana Phan
It had some really touching stories.
Librarianlady
Librarianlady marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Bookishlady
Bookishlady marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Round Lake Librar...: Garland Girls free ebook 2 4 Jul 17, 2013 05:46AM
  • In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)
  • Carney's House Party (Deep Valley, #1)
  • Mother
  • Heidi's Children
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • Tales of Angria
  • How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History #4)
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • Pollyanna Grows Up (Pollyanna #2)
  • Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life
  • A School of Her Own (Grandma's Attic)
  • The Substitute Guest
As A. M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t...more
More about Louisa May Alcott...
Little Women (Little Women, #1) Little Men (Little Women #2) Eight Cousins Jo's Boys (Little Women, #3) Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)