Start by marking “A Garland for Girls” as Want to Read:
A Garland for Girls

A Garland for Girls

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  561 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Websters paperbacks take advantage of the fact that classics are frequently assigned readings in English courses. By using a running English-to-French thesaurus at the bottom of each page, this edition of A Garland for Girls by Louisa May Alcott was edited for three audiences. The first includes French-speaking students enrolled in an English Language Program (ELP), an Eng ...more
Paperback, Webster's French Thesaurus Edition, 235 pages
Published by Icon Group International, Inc. (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about A Garland for Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Garland for Girls

Truly
Oct 17, 2010 Truly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“…setiap tumbuhan simbolis hidup di tempatnya masing-masing dan menjalani kehidupannya yang telah ditetapkan.”

Wanita dan bunga

Sepertinya ungkapan yang cocok untuk menggambarkan buku ini. Buku ini berkisah mengenai kehidupan beberapa wanita dengan sentuhan bunga dalam kehidupannya. Antara lain Jessi dengan Bunga Ivy, Jane dengan Bunga Poppy, lalu Ruth dengan Bunga Teratai. Setiap bunga memberikan makna bagi kehidupan mereka dengan cara yang unik.

Cerita yang paling saya sukai adalah cerita Rangka
aisha
A little gem of a book. A collection of various stories, each titled with the name of a flower or flowers. They are obviously instructional stories aimed at teaching morals and good graces to young girls. Although the stories are a bit saccharine at times, I couldn't help but admire the way they teach the virtues of patience, hard work, and basically spending your time and energy doing worthwhile things.
Speakercoret
hadiah ikut kuis di facebook :)
---------------------------------------------------

Sebenarnya sih, aku kurang suka sama kumpulan cerpen, karena pas dapet cerita yg bagus, merasa sayang cuma pendek doang, pengennya panjang biar bacanya lamaaa :p Tp buku ini kumpulan kisah pendek juga ternyata, ada 6 kisah gadis2 muda dan 1 gadis cilik yang dengan caranya masih2 berjuang mengatasimasalah dalam kehidupan mereka, cinta, keluarga, pekerjaan, persahabatan
Ini 7 kisahnya :
1. Rangkaian Ivy & sepatu ka
Katherine
Dec 09, 2015 Katherine marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring
Just. No.
Not even for a Louisa May Alcott fan. I was her huge fan, I enjoyed her Little Women series so much that she became my auto-buy-author. But this book is annoying, I don't even bother to finish it.
What struck me as the worst thing of this book is that it actually uses flowers to represent the girls - badly. The first story about Jessie is so ridiculous. She stared at the ivy and she's inspired! Wow! Congratulations!
Nope, what kind of treachery is this? It's all as easy as plucking the
Camille
This is a very sweet collection of short stories. I find it very clever that everyone short story as a floral theme, linking them all to the title. Of course, it is full of good sentiments and morals, but it's a very enjoyable read!
AngieA
Jun 28, 2009 AngieA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This hardcover edition printed in 1980 cost me $4.95 and the cover is illustrated with a decidedly 1970s girl in a lace dress and daisies in her hair. The collection of short stories inside are of mixed value, in my opinion. Each is "inspired" by the flowers given to the author during a "period of enforced seclusion." As is usual with LMA, there is a moral or lesson to be learned and virtue is ultimately rewarded.

In "Mayflowers" a group of girls who gather each week to sew and read decide to do
Acacia
Jul 28, 2015 Acacia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was traveling in Europe and the Middle East over the past few months and found tremendous wisdom in these short stories by one of my favorite authors. "Poppies and Wheat" was especially insightful. I shall always come back to the Alcott canon whenever I feel disoriented and disillusioned by the chaos of modern life.
K
Apr 14, 2014 K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More priggish, icky, ooey-gooey rot than 'Button Rose' (Chapter Six) never oozed onto paper. This moralising, sentimental twaddle isn't fit to read and Alcott must have been desperate for a bit of cash or she would have been 'raking muck in the streets' before writing such dull goo.
anastasia
Jul 29, 2015 anastasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must-read, especially for young adults.

Great Book to remind us what the true values in life are. Although sometimes it seemed to me that the stories are a little too long,I definitely enjoyed reading them. And despite this book being written two hundred years ago it still can be applied today. Read it if you value character more than money.
Rachel
Mar 25, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of stories was better than I thought it would be. Louisa May Alcott was a talented writer and even if the stories began on a dull "I know exactly where this is heading" note, all of them had a twist towards the end. If you read this book, commit to finishing each story. Don't quit half-way through!

The book teaches many lessons that seem old-fashioned (it was written in 1887) but would be good for our current society to hear. Each story was an example, tight with symbolism, of
Dillon
Jan 05, 2016 Dillon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting. It looks like each story is made to teach some sort of moral of some kind.
Grasia Lingga
Nov 28, 2015 Grasia Lingga is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Membaca 'a Garland for Girls" seperti kembali ke zaman yang saya sendiri tidak ada di sana.
Guguk
Sep 30, 2015 Guguk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kukis-gula-merah
Lumayan manis cerita-ceritanya~ (^,^)/

Ada juga yang aku kurang suka...""( _ _)
Ica Surjo
Jun 25, 2013 Ica Surjo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Tak ada gadis yang tak cantik, tak ada gadis yang tak menyukai bunga"
Sepertinya kalimat tersebut cukup untuk mewakili isi buku ini.
A Garland for Girls bersi kumpulan cerpen yang sangat cocok dibaca gadis-gadis muda, karena ceritanya sangat manis dan bertabur bunga. Dalam kumpulan cerpen ini setiap karakter diwakilkan dengan bunga, seperti bunga pansy melambangkan kebahagiaan dan kesetiaan.
Jaclynn
Jul 09, 2010 Jaclynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I found this book to be a charming and worthwhile addition to the books already on my shelf by Alcott. A collection of short stories, each based on a flower, and full of virtue and character. I probably enjoyed the first story best, featuring a group of girls who decide to go out and make a difference in others lives and then meet again after so many months to share their stories.
Maggie
Sep 12, 2012 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this on my iTouch, so it takes a while since I don't read on it often. I am liking this book of short stories, somewhat. I guess the only problem I have with it is the way the characters look down on a lot of people, the poor, those of color etc... But I take the time it was written into consideration, I mean what else can I do :)
Sabrina Neumann
I am sure this would have been a much more enjoyable read when I was ten. The majority of the stories resolved in a fairy tale manner, and the lack of any real conflict made each tale more unbearable than the last.

The fault is not in Alcott's writing style as much as it is with cynicism brought on by age and experience.
Lindasttop
Oct 31, 2011 Lindasttop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this one on my kindle because they used different words back then and I could check and see if I was getting it right. It was a delightfull book of stories about character and morals back in the 1800's. Strong girls who decided to be strong and caring over idle and selfish.
Kathi Olsen
Jan 28, 2012 Kathi Olsen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A selection of short stories that made me think of more innocent times. It's too bad that young readers are not satisfied with doing simpler things and reading about them. She always has a moral woven into the story to reinforce values being taught in homes.
Marcie
Feb 23, 2008 Marcie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books as a child. Louisa May Alcott was an independent woman when that was not that socially acceptable. Her female characters demonstrate different facets of nineteenth century womanhood.
Shenek
Apr 10, 2009 Shenek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book of short stories by Alcott that I had never read before. Like most of her work each story outlines a moral. Interesting to see how some morals change over time. I found this book sweet, sensible, and fun.
Lucinda
Feb 28, 2015 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice sweet book. Each is a short story with a flower name.

L.M.Alcott stated in the front that she wrote them to amuse herself, inspired by the flowers that she could see, in a forced seclusion.
Jennifer Wyld
Dec 29, 2008 Jennifer Wyld rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, full of good virtues, everything you want from Alcott! Not one I read as a child, but I enjoyed it and want to do it as a read aloud with my own girls, even though they are teens now!
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A collection of stories about girls and with a flower theme. It was nice to read about girls improving their minds and helping others, rather than merely looking for husbands.
Silvinita
Es un muy lindo libro de cuentos... Sólo xa quienes disfruten de leer libros clásicos. La lectura es lenta pero simple y llena de enseñanzas jovencitas de la época.
Bonnie
Nov 19, 2012 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, in an old-fashioned, quaint way. Made me think of simpler times, and of simple things that one can do to help others around you.
Rachel
Apr 04, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fiction, children-s, 2011
A collection of fun little stories, with titles (and morals) taken from various flowers. My favorite is probably Water-Lilies.
Julia
Just the sort of little morality tales you would expect from Louisa May Alcott. Sweet, but a bit treacly for modern tastes.
Jessica
Apr 19, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
many moral lessons you can get from this book . but for me, why this book is sooooo boring?? dunno how bout u.
Dana
A nice little collection of stories by LMA. I enjoyed some more than others, but each was short and sweet.
Round Lake Librar...: Garland Girls free ebook 2 4 Jul 17, 2013 05:46AM
  • In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)
  • Carney's House Party (Deep Valley, #1)
  • Mother
  • Heidi's Children
  • How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History #4)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • New Chronicles of Rebecca
  • Tales of Angria
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • A School of Her Own (Grandma's Attic #6)
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • The Substitute Guest
  • Charlotte Brontë: A Passionate Life
As A. M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t
More about Louisa May Alcott...