Start by marking “Asylum Denied: A Refugee's Struggle for Safety in America” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Asylum Denied: A Refug...

David Ngaruri Kenney

Asylum Denied: A Refugee's Struggle for Safety in America

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Asylum Denied is the gripping story of political refugee David Ngaruri Kenney's harrowing odyssey through the world of immigration processing in the United States. Kenney, while living in his native Kenya, led a boycott to protest his government's treatment of his fellow farmers. He was subsequently arrested and taken into the forest to be executed. This book, told by Kenn ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Asylum Denied, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asylum Denied

Alice
This book really resonated with me, so I blew through it in just under 1 day. Even though the writing was not particularly engaging, the story really drew me in.

Or, more accurately, the story re-stirred moral outrage. Based on my [as yet limited:] experiences with immigration law, this book accurately portrayed much of what is wrong with the U.S. immigration bureaucracy. Inability to bridge cross-cultural misunderstandings. Unrepresented immigrants. Complicated and needlessly restrictive law. Re
Judy
An amazing story of courage and resiliance and how unfair the U.S. system is towards immigrants.
Odin
Alexa
Absolutely incredible! This is an autobiography which follows the author's childhood in Kenya up through his attempts to stay in the US. I can hardly believe that this one man suffered so many of most egregious errors of the immigration system. The story is riveting and provides a very accessible basic education in US law governing asylum and several other aspects of immigration. Even better (or worse) it exposes the serious consequences of our system's failures. You must read this book.
Mary Whisner
I loved this book. it is coauthored by an asylum applicant and the law professor whose clinic unsuccessfully represented him through his original application and appeals.

Most of fhe narrative is David Ngaruri Kenney's life story, from childhood to imprisonment in Kenya because he'd led a protest of tea growers to his life in America. The professor, Phillip Schrag, concludes the book with an appendix demonstrating the huge inconsistencies in the treatment of asylum applicants.
Stacie
Fantastic. Absolutely Fantastic.

This book is heart-wrenching. Particularly coming from the view of an immigration advocate - it breaks my heart to see the US government and the US immigration system fail to protect someone who very clearly would be in danger if returned to his home country - someone that has proven that he would be a productive member of the US society. The immigration system is broken and this case proves just that.
Scott Daniel
I am an attorney who happens to be good friends with the author, and has also experienced the unbelievable thrill of winning an asylum case. David is a gentle soul, and his personal account is beyond question the most inspiring journet as well as the most resonant indictment of the calluses infecting our immigration system. An absolute must-read.
Naomi
This book was "recommended" reading for incoming law students at Georgetown, and I understand why as it is motivational regarding the work of Georgetown's clinic and students. But aside from that, it's a good combination of the story of one man's life and successes and struggles and the U.S. immigration system in all of its failings.
Kyla P'an
Since I personally know the hero/co-author of this book, it is even more remarkable to read the twist and tales of fate that lead him from exile in Kenya to the remarkable life he has made for himself here in the US. A fascinating insight into DNS operations and the immigration/asylum process here in our country.
Elizabeth
Oct 05, 2014 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Signe Dortsch
This is an illuminating and disturbing account of the journey of an asylum seeker through the US immigration system. A compelling argument for immigration reform if I ever heard one! Ngaruri Kenney has a compelling story and seems to be a remarkable individual.
Juhi
Jan 21, 2010 Juhi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Juhi by: georgetown law center
fascinating journey through the asylum process and its horrors. reveals how disfunctional the immigration and asylum systems are and how difficult life can be without the lucky happenstance of being born in a particular country...
Lynne
This book provides an interesting overview of the arbitrary process by which one seeks asylum in the United States. Unfortunately, the writing is dry and I never felt connected with the individual who sought asylum.
John
This book tracks a compelling story of a refugee who should have, but did not, qualified for asylum.

It's written by a couple of lawyers, so the writing isn't great, but I otherwise recommend it.
Alyssa
So frustrating and upsetting. Clearly illustrates that we have an incredibly flawed immigration system in need of dire reform....like much of our political system.
Ed Chen
I would give this book six stars, except that Philip Schrag was involved in its production. That insane little man, yo. CALS4LYFE.
Amanda Stempson
A fascinating case, and a great introduction to the rigorous, complex system of immigration courts in the United States.
Travis
Amazing. Will (probably) be made into a movie someday and (should) also change immigration law as we know it.
Wendy
Quick and compelling read showing just how aribtrary and exasperating the asylum procedures in our country can be.
Autumn
I liked the clarity of writing of this book. Amazing story.
Lori
This was a great book, my heart went out to this poor man
Christy
May 03, 2009 Christy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
My sister was one of the Peace Corps volunteers that brought the author to the US. I remember her telling us about it in letters along the way, but in reading the book I discovered there was so much more to the story. It is a fast read only because you can't put the book down once you start.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Tori
Tori added it
Aug 25, 2015
Christine Elizabeth
Christine Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
  • Standard Operating Procedure
  • Texas Tough: The Rise of America's Prison Empire
  • Undocumented: How Immigration Became Illegal
  • Beyond the Green Zone: Dispatches from an Unembedded Journalist in Occupied Iraq
  • American Dreamers: How the Left Changed a Nation
  • To Die in Mexico: Dispatches from Inside the Drug War
  • Down and Delirious in Mexico City: The Aztec Metropolis in the Twenty-First Century
  • Which Side Are You on?: Trying to Be for Labor When It's Flat on Its Back
  • Pricing Beauty: The Making of a Fashion Model
  • Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Man
  • Rape New York
  • Power Concedes Nothing: One Woman's Quest for Social Justice in America, from the Courtroom to the Kill Zones
  • El Monstruo: Dread and Redemption in Mexico City