Start by marking “Thai-Riffic! ” as Want to Read:
Thai-Riffic!

Thai-Riffic!

Albert (Lengy) Lengviriyakul, is fed up with being Thai. His parents own a Thai restaurant with the cheesy name of Thai-riffic! and Lengy is sick of being his father's curry guinea pig, longing to just eat pizza! At school he is a bit of a troublemaker, going to any lengths to hide his background. But when his best friend decides to become Thai for a day for a school ...more
Published May 31st 2010 by Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about Thai-Riffic!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thai-Riffic!

Nadine
Sep 25, 2016 Nadine rated it liked it
Shelves: upper-primary
Fun story of a young Thai Australian boy as he embarks on middle school amongst the embarrassment of being the son of a Thai restaurant owner who is shameless in his promotion of his wares. Fortunately all's well end's well and all his teachers and classmates end up loving the food and embracing his heritage.
Definitely a feel good cultural melting pot story
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
Also reviewed on my Youtube channel.

Okay, first of all, this has 190 pages, not 144. But whatever.

A quick and easy-to-read middle grade book, I flew through this one. Albert Lengviriyakul is sick of being Thai and eating Thai food every single day. He just wants to be a normal Aussie kid who eats meat pies and chips and whose mother doesn't buy toilet paper in bulk at the $2 Shop, and he doesn't understand why all his classmates and his little brother think Thai food and Thai culture are so gre
Anne
Jun 24, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing
Sensitively written, Thai-riffic tells the story of Lengy, Australian born, but of Thai descent. Very funny and articulately written. Some lovely anecdotes. Although it targets adolescents, it also works on an adult level. If anyone wanted insight into what it is like to be Australian but saddled with a migrant's background that is sometimes not appreciated when you are an adolescent, this is a book you should read. It is a quick read for adults and the narrative moves at a quick and humorous ...more
Marj
Oct 23, 2011 Marj rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Adolescents often have difficulty coming to terms with their family's peculiarities; ethnic children sometimes more so. Add bullying and teasing into the equation and there's a ripe cauldron of self-consciousness brewing.

Albert, or 'Lingy' as he becomes known is the Australian-born older son of Thai parents who own a restaurant, Thai - riffic. We follow Lingy and his family through their hilarious adventures, as Lingy slowly comes to realise that his parents are not too embarrassing after all, t
Mary Refalo
Feb 24, 2015 Mary Refalo rated it it was amazing
Thai-riffic is a fantastically funny story written from the perspective of the young son of Thai immigrants and restaurant owners. The novel is very readable, making it a perfect read for below and at Stage 4 readers. Boys, in particular, will enjoy the humour and context of this novel. Thai-riffic is set in the Western suburbs of Sydney, in the family restaurant and at Albert's school. His eccentric mother, father and Year 7 roll-call teacher provide the backdrop for Albert's emotional ...more
Sam Sochacka
Sep 12, 2012 Sam Sochacka rated it it was amazing
I just can't hold back from saying "Thai-riffic" is a terrific book! I know, I'm sure I could have come up with something better but the book just begs to be described using said adjective.

Oliver Phommavanh has managed to capture the experience of many Australian children growing up in immigrant families. He has achieved a balance between a sensitive exploration of the challenges of children facing identity issues with humour that had me with tears of laughter exploding out of my tear-ducts. I
Shane Harcombe
Nov 22, 2014 Shane Harcombe rated it really liked it
A great book that I imagine really captures some of the frustrations and joys of growing up with parents who run a small business like a restaurant. The author captures the young teens "voice" really well and late primary/early high school kids will identify with it easily. Especially those from south western Sydney, given the references to Fairfield etc a nice touch for his current students!
I would happily read this to my primary school class and I think it would appeal to the wimpy kid crowd,
Dimity Powell
Sep 19, 2015 Dimity Powell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
Oh how I loved this and how I chortled. Phommavanh's keen observational comedy, barely concealed home truths and spot-on target audience appeal will have you laughing out loud as school kid, Lengy battles to come to grips with his heritage and real sense of self. Those with a backround anything other than Anglo will appreciate the many nuances exposed in Lengy's daily life and struggle to just be like everyone else. I can't wait to continue his Thai-riffic! journey. Highly recommended.
Grace Sunflower
Jul 13, 2013 Grace Sunflower rated it really liked it
This book has been especially recommended as suitable for for boys in the years 4 to 7 grade level range. I think that it would be fun to watch the faces of children enjoying reading this book with its quirky, cute, cartoon-like characters. And of course the cooking theme is quite topical these days. Lots of fun to be had when studying this book at school I am sure. I would love to visit Thailand one day.
Sue Bursztynski
May 19, 2011 Sue Bursztynski rated it really liked it
A nice, easy-reading story about being second generation multicultural in Australia. Some years ago it might have been a Greek or Italian boy telling this story. Albert Leng, or Lengy as he's known at school, just wants to eat burgers or pizzas, something not so easy when your parents run the local Thai restaurant - and worse, everybody, teachers and students alike, just loves Thai food, the spicier the better - and even your little brother enjoys all this Thai cultural stuff.
Karyn
This book seemed more like a series of anecdotes than a storyline. I would just love to have great cooks as parents, but I get that not everyone wants to stand out in school. There wasn't anything really compelling for me to absolutely have to read on, but, read on I did and I started to laugh along about halfway in. I guess bum jokes still appeal at any age.
Jeremy Wong
Aug 21, 2013 Jeremy Wong rated it really liked it
I read this last year after the librarian at the Languages and Multicultural Education Resource Centre (LMERC) recommended this book to me. It did not disappoint. Phommavanh is brilliant at subtly weaving deep thoughts into the narrative, whilst lacing it with generous amounts of funny moments which had me in stitches, especially the curry bits. I can hardly wait to read his other works.
Warren Olson
Aug 15, 2012 Warren Olson rated it liked it
One of a few cross cultural books for the 8-15 year old group. Those children with a Thai heritage will enjoy this and relate to the family outlook - I thought his earlier book about the would-be Cambodian Comedian entitled 'Punchlines' had a slightly better story-line.
Jbaccon
Aug 09, 2014 Jbaccon rated it really liked it
Best book I have read for a while. Many many times of pausing to contemplate the undeniable skill of Kate DiCamillo as a writer and the simple beauty of her words...
“Bah, cynics," said Dr. Meescham. "Cynics are people who are afraid to believe.”
Dougal Clark
Oct 21, 2010 Dougal Clark rated it it was amazing
This book is amazingly hilarious. James and I saw the author in person and he signed our books. I REALLY recommend this.
Noah
Dec 18, 2011 Noah rated it it was amazing
This is a really funny book. It is about a boy who's parents own a thai restaurant and he does't like it at all.
Jacqui
May 22, 2012 Jacqui rated it did not like it
It's never a good idea to write a story where the main character is a big whiner. I couldn't take it after about 1/3 of the book and when I skipped to the end things weren't that much better.
Cassandra.kocanovski
May 17, 2014 Cassandra.kocanovski is currently reading it
Shelves: thai-riffic
it an amazing book it interesting and a good way to end your day with a bit of laughter and jokes.
Patrice Ramsay
Enjoyable, good fun. Met the author at a Literature Festival and was impressed with how engaging the was for the student audience both in person and online.
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Nicoleta
Nicoleta rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2015
Stella
Stella rated it did not like it
Jul 26, 2014
Atif Bajwa
Atif Bajwa rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2015
Alyssa Christian
Alyssa Christian rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2011
Maddi
Maddi rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2011
Alisha
Alisha rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2014
May
May rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Daniel Howard
Daniel Howard rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Chloe
Chloe rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Toppling
  • Just a Dog
  • Bridie's Fire
  • Violet Mackerel's Remarkable Recovery (Violet Mackerel, #2)
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
  • Burning Eddy
  • Give Me Four Reasons
  • The Red Wind (The Kingdom of the Lost #1)
  • Grimsdon
  • Things a Map Won't Show You: Stories from Australia & Beyond
  • A Single Stone
  • Two Wolves
  • Maudie and Bear
  • Even Weirder! (WeirDo #2)
  • Grace