Start by marking “I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor, #1)” as Want to Read:
I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor, #1)

I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Historical fiction about Henry VIII's elder daughter as a child. Written from Mary's viewpoint
Published 1971 by Hutchinson

To ask other readers questions about I Am Mary Tudor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Mary Tudor

Suanne Laqueur
Sep 24, 2014 Suanne Laqueur rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-nook-news
After reading I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles (a fantastic autobiographical account of Queen Elizabeth I, which I highly recommend if the subject interests you), I was eager to read more about Elizabeth’s half-sister, Queen Mary I, the infamous “Bloody Mary”. I thought I had found a jackpot in I Am Mary Tudor. The inside cover described the journey of a sweet, kind, loving young woman who in later history was only remembered for her fanatical acts of cruelty against Protestants. Where had the tra ...more
Kara
Jan 20, 2013 Kara rated it liked it
Shelves: tudor-fiction

There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but it failed to get my attention. I think the first point of view doesn't work here - it was like Mary Tudor was giving an 8th grade book report on her own life, constantly regurgitating facts.
Heather Domin
Jan 31, 2011 Heather Domin rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
Proof positive that the desire to redeem Mary I didn't start in the 2000s. This is a long, sweeping tale, told in the first person as an exhaustive memoir. It's written in an old-fashioned and classic style, full of the things that are cherished in old novels and derided in new ones: overly detailed descriptions, as-you-know-bob dialogue explanations, "info dumps", etc. Pretty much every Tudor-related letter, report, legend, quote, and rumor is recorded in careful detail; to a Tudor buff it coul ...more
Alex
Oct 19, 2010 Alex rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book at first, but around page 200 I just couldn't wait to get it over with. I really had to force myself to read the rest, and I actually ended up pretty much skipping the last 80 pages. I was just kinda over it.

I'm giving it 2 stars because I can recognize that it was good, it was just that it brought NO new perspective to the story. Mary is very rarely the narrator and I was excited about hearing the events through "her" voice. Unfortunately, her voice sounds like every other n
Dayjai G.
This was a queen that you will not play with
Helen Azar
Feb 08, 2010 Helen Azar rated it it was amazing
Book 1 of the excellent Mary Tudor trilogy by Hilda Lewis. From Mary Tudor's own perspective, which presents her not only as a likable person (not an easy task, IMO), but also allows the reader to understand the motives behind her behavior.

Book 2: Mary the Queen (http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Queen-Hild...

Book 3: Bloody Mary (http://www.amazon.com/Bloody-Mary-Hil...). All highly recommended!
Margareth8537
Quite enjoyed this as it portrayed what started as a very happy childhood, with Mary as a child much loved by both parents, to the separation of her parents, with Mary forbidden to see her mother, even when she was dying.
There always seems to be a love for her father but it was a very bitter situation.
She had been popular with the people but once she became queen she seemed to be unable to understand how she alienated them
Ravin Maurice
Jan 18, 2011 Ravin Maurice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
a beautifully written first person narrative first person novel from the perspective of Henry VIII's misunderstood oldest daughter. I think that any child from divorced parents can understand Mary and feel some kind of sympathy for what happened to her as a child, and after reading this book I feel very connected to her. Worth the read for anyone who's truly interested, but since its out of print its not easy to find.
Tysamone
Feb 18, 2013 Tysamone rated it really liked it
I haven't read this book since high school. It was the 1st book over 500 pages that I mastered and for that I am very proud (I'm an amateur here!). I empathized w/ certain characters and it's nice to know that these were real people w/ real issues.
Casie
Feb 26, 2013 Casie rated it really liked it
I would have stopped this story soon after her brother succeeded the throne, knowing this would be trilogy. Mainly cause by then it feels like the book is dragging a little. Otherwise, a fantastic read, full of historical goodies
Shannon
Jun 15, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I found a yellow, musty copy of this in a used book store and it turned out to be one of my best purchases of all time. I love all things Elizabethan England. This was VERY good.
Jenny Smith
Sep 30, 2012 Jenny Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: tudor
I really wanted so read into the "Bloody Mary" years but that part is left out. Very nice book from Henry VIII's first child's point of view, though.
Sherri
Jan 31, 2009 Sherri rated it it was amazing
MASTERFUL FIRST-PERSON BIOGRAPHY. COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. A PART OF HISTORY I DID NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT. I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO MEET THIS MARY.
Jenny
Aug 10, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it
Great, but long and sad book about Mary Tudor. First of three.
Michelle
Jun 30, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. thoroughly enjoying it!
Diana
Aug 02, 2011 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-read
very engaging story.
MS
MS marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Anouska Stacey
Anouska Stacey marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Kathie
Kathie marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Kevin Giroon
Kevin Giroon rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Michael A. Rodriguez
Michael A. Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Viola Prins
Viola Prins marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Squeakymg
Squeakymg marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Sandi Gonzalez
Sandi Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Kelly Bittle
Kelly Bittle rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Karen Euller
Karen Euller marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Sara Taylor
Sara Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
  • In the Shadow of the Crown (Queens of England, #6)
  • Mary & Elizabeth
  • The Queen's Sorrow
  • No Will But His: A Novel of Kathryn Howard
  • Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1)
  • Mary of Carisbrooke: The Girl Who Would Not Betray Her King
  • Thy Will Be Done (The Tudors, #3)
  • A Question of Guilt: A Novel of Mary, Queen of Scots, and the Death of Henry Darnley
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • Immortal Queen: A Novel Of Mary, Queen of Scots
  • Jane Seymour: Henry VIII's True Love
  • The Lady Penelope: The Lost Tale of Love and Politics in the Court of Elizabeth I
  • All the Queen's Players
  • The Candlemass Road
Hilda Winifred Lewis (1896-1974) was a British writer.

She wrote a noted children's book, The Ship that Flew (1939) which concerns Norse mythology and time travel. It was republished in the Oxford Children's Modern Classics series in 1998. Her three YA books, including the well-received The Gentle Falcon, are available for Kindle and iBooks.
Several of her historical novels, e.g. I am Mary Tudor (19
More about Hilda Lewis...

Mary Tudor (3 books)
  • Mary the Queen (Mary Tudor, #2)
  • Bloody Mary (Mary Tudor, #3)