Start by marking “I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor, #1)” as Want to Read:
I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor, #1)

I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Historical fiction about Henry VIII's elder daughter as a child. Written from Mary's viewpoint
Published 1971 by Hutchinson

To ask other readers questions about I Am Mary Tudor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Mary Tudor

Suanne Laqueur
After reading I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles (a fantastic autobiographical account of Queen Elizabeth I, which I highly recommend if the subject interests you), I was eager to read more about Elizabeth’s half-sister, Queen Mary I, the infamous “Bloody Mary”. I thought I had found a jackpot in I Am Mary Tudor. The inside cover described the journey of a sweet, kind, loving young woman who in later history was only remembered for her fanatical acts of cruelty against Protestants. Where had the tra ...more
Kara

There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but it failed to get my attention. I think the first point of view doesn't work here - it was like Mary Tudor was giving an 8th grade book report on her own life, constantly regurgitating facts.
Heather Domin
Proof positive that the desire to redeem Mary I didn't start in the 2000s. This is a long, sweeping tale, told in the first person as an exhaustive memoir. It's written in an old-fashioned and classic style, full of the things that are cherished in old novels and derided in new ones: overly detailed descriptions, as-you-know-bob dialogue explanations, "info dumps", etc. Pretty much every Tudor-related letter, report, legend, quote, and rumor is recorded in careful detail; to a Tudor buff it coul ...more
Alex
I enjoyed this book at first, but around page 200 I just couldn't wait to get it over with. I really had to force myself to read the rest, and I actually ended up pretty much skipping the last 80 pages. I was just kinda over it.

I'm giving it 2 stars because I can recognize that it was good, it was just that it brought NO new perspective to the story. Mary is very rarely the narrator and I was excited about hearing the events through "her" voice. Unfortunately, her voice sounds like every other n
Helen Azar
Book 1 of the excellent Mary Tudor trilogy by Hilda Lewis. From Mary Tudor's own perspective, which presents her not only as a likable person (not an easy task, IMO), but also allows the reader to understand the motives behind her behavior.

Book 2: Mary the Queen (http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Queen-Hild...);

Book 3: Bloody Mary (http://www.amazon.com/Bloody-Mary-Hil...). All highly recommended!
Margareth8537
Quite enjoyed this as it portrayed what started as a very happy childhood, with Mary as a child much loved by both parents, to the separation of her parents, with Mary forbidden to see her mother, even when she was dying.
There always seems to be a love for her father but it was a very bitter situation.
She had been popular with the people but once she became queen she seemed to be unable to understand how she alienated them
Ravin Maurice
a beautifully written first person narrative first person novel from the perspective of Henry VIII's misunderstood oldest daughter. I think that any child from divorced parents can understand Mary and feel some kind of sympathy for what happened to her as a child, and after reading this book I feel very connected to her. Worth the read for anyone who's truly interested, but since its out of print its not easy to find.
Tysamone
I haven't read this book since high school. It was the 1st book over 500 pages that I mastered and for that I am very proud (I'm an amateur here!). I empathized w/ certain characters and it's nice to know that these were real people w/ real issues.
Casie
I would have stopped this story soon after her brother succeeded the throne, knowing this would be trilogy. Mainly cause by then it feels like the book is dragging a little. Otherwise, a fantastic read, full of historical goodies
Shannon
I found a yellow, musty copy of this in a used book store and it turned out to be one of my best purchases of all time. I love all things Elizabethan England. This was VERY good.
Jenny Smith
I really wanted so read into the "Bloody Mary" years but that part is left out. Very nice book from Henry VIII's first child's point of view, though.
Sherri
MASTERFUL FIRST-PERSON BIOGRAPHY. COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN. A PART OF HISTORY I DID NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT. I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO MEET THIS MARY.
Jenny
Great, but long and sad book about Mary Tudor. First of three.
Michelle
Fantastic book. thoroughly enjoying it!
Diana
very engaging story.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Tonia
Tonia marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Ct
Ct marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Dancinghawk3
Dancinghawk3 marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Carley Cesare
Carley Cesare marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Lindsey Cook
Lindsey Cook marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Captive Queen of Scots (Stuart Saga, #2) (Mary Stuart, #2)
  • The Queen's Sorrow
  • Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor
  • Secrets of the Tudor Court
  • Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1)
  • No Will But His: A Novel of Kathryn Howard
  • Mary of Carisbrooke: The Girl Who Would Not Betray Her King
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • Jane Seymour: Henry VIII's True Love
  • The Queen's Governess
Hilda Winifred Lewis (1896-1974) was a British writer.

She wrote a noted children's book, The Ship that Flew (1939) which concerns Norse mythology and time travel. It was republished in the Oxford Children's Modern Classics series in 1998. Her three YA books, including the well-received The Gentle Falcon, are available for Kindle and iBooks.
Several of her historical novels, e.g. I am Mary Tudor (19
More about Hilda Lewis...
Harlot Queen The Ship That Flew Wife to the Bastard Wife to Charles II The Gentle Falcon