3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Toilet-Training Book Your Doctor Recommends
How will I know when my child is ready? What do I do if my child resists? How can I handle bedwetting and other accidents?
What's the best way to make this a positive experience for both of us?
Helping your child through the toilet-training process may be one of your greatest challenges as a newparent. And when it comes to th...more
Published January 16th 2009 by Bantam (first published 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about The American Academy of Pediatrics Guide to Toilet Training the American Academy of Pediatrics Guide to Toilet Training

Kerri
Jun 23, 2008 Kerri rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents
Shelves: parenting-books
This book has a very realistic approach to toilet training. Anyone that has young children should read this book---I wish I would have read it with my other two! The basic attitude of the book is to be as positive as possible and that most kids are physically ready around age 2-3 and emotionally ready at different ages.
Andrienne
Covers a whole gamut of topics that relate or affect potty training. Picked up a lot of good pointers, especially the answer to the most basic question of them all, "How does one parent begin?" I've never been disappointed with any book published by the American Academy of Pediatrics, just because for me, more is better. This book covers everything a new parent might wonder about -- chronic bedwetting, guidelines for special needs children, bladder complications, urinary tract infections etc.
Lalani
I really liked the approach to this book. Very 'you-can-do-this'. My favorite was how it addressed the usual dread parents feel toward potty training, and that this can be an unique opportunity to discover how your child learns best and can set the stage for a great parent-child relationship.

Very general ideas, I will want to read a few more books on specific approaches before starting.
Theresa
This book had some good info. A lot of it was common sense, but some ideas and aspects were new to me. Plus, it doesn't hurt to reinforce common sense or what you think you may know about this topic- always good to know if you are on the right path. We'll see if it helps when we begin in a few months, he's not ready yet!
Leslie
So far, this book is changing the way I think about potty training. And I am sure my son appreciates it. (Although others around me may not!)

Mostly, I appreciated that this was more of a "do what feels right to you" book instead of a "you're a lousy mom cause your kid is 3 and still in diapers" kind of book.
Alyssa
Good book, but mostly common sense. I still think it's good to review before starting potty training as a way of reassuring yourself. It also lists a lot of other resources for more information.
Lydia
Definitely promotes waiting till the kids makes the move...almost to much of it being in the kid's hands IMO. But there were still some good points. Easy to read. Good section on bedwetting.
Angela
This book had excellent advice that focused on finding out how your individual child learns to make potty training more successful and less stressful.
Kris
The basics are here, but don't expect to find any amazing breakthrough ideas. I'm beginning to think that's because they don't exist.
Andrea
This book was fine. I didn't really have any feelings about it, so I don't have anything else to say.
Hayley
Nothing new that I hadn't read about (or heard about) already. This one's going right back to the library.
Jen
Good, practical, positive recommendations for potty training. Now I'm crossing my fingers that it works!
Caroline
I really just skimmed it, but it had some good tips.
Fatimah Alzaher
Fatimah Alzaher marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Apr 28, 2014
Rina Denada
Rina Denada marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Samar
Samar marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Ahmed Salim
Ahmed Salim marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Nickel
Nickel added it
Sep 21, 2013
Anne
Anne added it
Aug 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5 Your Baby's First Year Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation The Wonder Years: Helping Your Baby and Young Child Successfully Negotiate The Major Developmental Milestones ADHD: What Every Parent Needs to Know