Start by marking “The American Academy of Pediatrics Guide to Toilet Training the American Academy of Pediatrics Guide to Toilet Training” as Want to Read:

The Toilet-Training Book Your Doctor Recommends
How will I know when my child is ready? What do I do if my child resists? How can I handle bedwetting and other accidents?
What's the best way to make this a positive experience for both of us?
Helping your child through the toilet-training process may be one of your greatest challenges as a newparent. And when it comes to th
Published January 16th 2009 by Bantam (first published 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about The American Academy of Pediatrics Guide to Toilet Training the American Academy of Pediatrics Guide to Toilet Training

Kerri
Jun 19, 2008 Kerri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents
Shelves: parenting-books
This book has a very realistic approach to toilet training. Anyone that has young children should read this book---I wish I would have read it with my other two! The basic attitude of the book is to be as positive as possible and that most kids are physically ready around age 2-3 and emotionally ready at different ages.
Andrienne
May 20, 2011 Andrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covers a whole gamut of topics that relate or affect potty training. Picked up a lot of good pointers, especially the answer to the most basic question of them all, "How does one parent begin?" I've never been disappointed with any book published by the American Academy of Pediatrics, just because for me, more is better. This book covers everything a new parent might wonder about -- chronic bedwetting, guidelines for special needs children, bladder complications, urinary tract infections etc.
Lalani
Jun 18, 2009 Lalani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the approach to this book. Very 'you-can-do-this'. My favorite was how it addressed the usual dread parents feel toward potty training, and that this can be an unique opportunity to discover how your child learns best and can set the stage for a great parent-child relationship.

Very general ideas, I will want to read a few more books on specific approaches before starting.
Theresa
May 07, 2009 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some good info. A lot of it was common sense, but some ideas and aspects were new to me. Plus, it doesn't hurt to reinforce common sense or what you think you may know about this topic- always good to know if you are on the right path. We'll see if it helps when we begin in a few months, he's not ready yet!
Leslie
Apr 21, 2009 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, this book is changing the way I think about potty training. And I am sure my son appreciates it. (Although others around me may not!)

Mostly, I appreciated that this was more of a "do what feels right to you" book instead of a "you're a lousy mom cause your kid is 3 and still in diapers" kind of book.
Kevin Orland
If you're looking for a systematic, step-by-step guide for how to potty train, this isn't it. The book has a lot of good pointers that supplement whatever system you're using, how to troubleshoot post-training accidents or regressions, but doesn't tell you how to do the actual training.
Isabelle
Always love books by the American Academy of Pediatrics! Gave great advice and tips on what to expect through this often stressful process. A must read for all parents entering the potty training stage!
Andrea
This book was fine. I didn't really have any feelings about it, so I don't have anything else to say.
Jen
Dec 15, 2010 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, practical, positive recommendations for potty training. Now I'm crossing my fingers that it works!
Alyssa
Mar 04, 2011 Alyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, but mostly common sense. I still think it's good to review before starting potty training as a way of reassuring yourself. It also lists a lot of other resources for more information.
Kris
Oct 13, 2009 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
The basics are here, but don't expect to find any amazing breakthrough ideas. I'm beginning to think that's because they don't exist.
Hayley
Nothing new that I hadn't read about (or heard about) already. This one's going right back to the library.
Caroline
I really just skimmed it, but it had some good tips.
Lydia
May 06, 2008 Lydia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely promotes waiting till the kids makes the move...almost to much of it being in the kid's hands IMO. But there were still some good points. Easy to read. Good section on bedwetting.
Debbielarson
Debbielarson rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2009
Angie
Angie rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2009
Alpa
Alpa rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2011
Arnold Terrance
Arnold Terrance rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2017
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2008
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
Potty Training
Potty Training rated it really liked it
May 26, 2015
Chris Gurney-hsiung
Chris Gurney-hsiung rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Tawnie
Tawnie rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2012
Noelle
Noelle rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2012
Anusha
Anusha rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2012