Start by marking “Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)

Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy #3)

Third in the Elizabeth I trilogy. After the death of her sister, Mary, Elizabeth becomes queen and must keep peace with Spain - ruled by her brother-in-law.
Published September 13th 1999 by Allison & Busby (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain

Legacy by Susan KayI, Elizabeth by Rosalind MilesThe Tudor Secret by C.W. GortnerThe Lady Elizabeth by Alison WeirThe Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory
Fiction: Queen Elizabeth I of England
19th out of 50 books — 11 voters
The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa GregoryThe Red Queen by Philippa GregoryThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryThe White Queen by Philippa GregoryThe Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
Tudor England Novels
16th out of 33 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 14, 2016 Indra rated it it was amazing
The best book of trilogy.

Margaret Irwin has written historical fiction in it's best. Not only she was able to create one of the best fictional portrayals of Elizabeth (along that in "Legacy" by Susan Kay) as I already witnessed in her previous books "Young Bess" and "Captive princess", but this book also proves that she can do the same with Philip of Spain, man who became to one of the greatest antagonists (if not the greatest) of Elizabeth and protestant England, and person, who hadn't got enou
Marie Z. Johansen
Apr 19, 2011 Marie Z. Johansen rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Originally published in 1953 this was the last book in Margaret Irwin's "Young Bess" series. Because it was written in an earlier era the book is not a racy bodice ripper - something that I appreciate. It's not that I'm a prude - but I do get a tad tired of the "sex sells" philosophy- especially in relation to good historical fiction writing.

This book revolves around Philip of Spain's relationship with Elizabeth. The staunch Catholic, philanderer (depending on yo
This was an enjoyable conclusion to the three part trilogy by famed author Margaret Irwin. The book can be read as a stand alone, but I am looking forward to reading the first two in the series: Young Bess: The Girl Who Would Be Queen and Elizabeth, Captive Princess: Two Sisters, One Throne.

These books were originally published in the 40s and 50s. Sourcebooks is continuing their grand tradition of reintroducing fantastic books to readers of today. The books come across a bit more reserved than m
Apr 16, 2011 Patty rated it liked it
This was such an unusual point of view for an Elizabethan novel. It is the third in Ms. Irwin's series on the young Elizabeth. I read the first one, Young Bess and liked it but didn't love it. I did not have the opportunity to read the second. This one I found fascinating. I must admit to not knowing all that much about Philip of Spain and this book opened my eyes a bit to a man who was an important figure in Tudor times. Ms. Irwin's book postulates that Elizabeth may not have survived Mary's re ...more
Apr 19, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the entire trilogy very much. As a history major I have read about and studied Tudor England ad nauseam, however, these books gave a fresh perspective albeit a fictional one. But then, since history is based on the perspectives and observations of biased and subjective human beings I guess in a way history itself is just another form of fiction... Anyway, I waited to review the books until after I had read all three. Although the books are well written and could be read independently o ...more
Jul 08, 2011 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ELIZABETH AND THE PRINCE OF SPAIN by Margaret Irwin is a historical fiction set in 1541 England.It is the final book in the Elizabeth I trilogy.See Young Bess and Elizabeth,Captive Princess.This is an intriguing story of Elizabeth,King Henry VIII's,daughter,the beheading of Anne Boleyn,and Phillip, the Prince of Spain.It has treachery,betrayal,sibling rivalry,tragedy,truimphs,the battle between King Henry VIII's daughters,danger to one sister through another sister's rule and jealousy.This is a ...more
Elaine Cougler
Sep 11, 2016 Elaine Cougler rated it really liked it
This trilogy of books, Margaret Irwin's Elizabeth Trilogy, is about queen Elizabeth I and takes the reader from her turbulent childhood through her siblings' reigns and finally to becoming Queen herself. It is great historical fiction.
Helene Harrison
Review - This final novel in the trilogy focuses on Elizabeth's relationships as Queen, in particular building on the previous storyline with Philip II of Spain. Philip isn't in this book as much as the previous one, but Elizabeth still plays with him, juggling relationships with different men to keep the balance of power in Europe.

Genre? - Historical / Drama

Characters? - Elizabeth I / Philip II of Spain / Robert Dudley / William Cecil / Mary I / Renard / Matthew Parker / Reginald Pole

Setting? -
Apr 21, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
Recommended to Shannon by: Vera
Shelves: reviewed, history
As a major student of the Tudor dynasty, I was really looking forward to this book. Sadly, I was disappointed; as was likely the case in reality, the vibrant Elizabeth cast everything else around her -- including the plot -- into shadow. I didn't love it, but I will probably read it again *after* reading the first two books in the trilogy. After thinking about it, I went with three stars.

Truncated review available at Luxury Reading:
Expanded review availab
Feb 15, 2012 Martha rated it really liked it
Elizabeth finally becomes queen in the 3rd and final book in the trilogy. I read all 3 from the book shelf of the condo we rented in Ft. Pierce, FL. Pattie and I were able to discuss the interesting parts as we went since she read all three books before me. The question remains... did Elizabeth remain a virgin. The book never answers that but both Pattie and I doubt it.
Apr 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

An excellent conclusion to the Elizabeth I trilogy. My full review may be read on my book review blog Rundpinne.

Oct 08, 2011 Kiran rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed by how boring this book was! What a surprise considering how exciting that period and the plots were. Perhaps it's a symptom of the age when this book was written, as it is quite old now. I won't be reading any other books by this author now!
Jun 25, 2013 Adrian rated it liked it
I think if this series had been written today, it would have been one epic novel. I'm so glad it wasn't. And I liked the ambiguous ending- it made it apparent that history continues, without a lot of foreshadowing. Nice.
Feb 24, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this part of the trilogy. It focused alot on Philip and his relationship with Elizabeth. It is something that is mostly breezed over in other novels about Elizabeth.
PK Reeves
Philip at the hands of the Tudor sisters Mary and Elizabeth. Read Aisle B's review
Nov 11, 2010 Éowyn rated it liked it
The ending was certainly a bit strange - this is the third of a three part series but the way the book ended it felt like there should have been another one to follow!
Mar 16, 2010 Jemidar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Really 4.5 stars.
Kathleen Kelly
Apr 28, 2011 Kathleen Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Review to come
Sheryll Putnam
Jul 30, 2011 Sheryll Putnam rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
Painful. Dry. ICK.
Cassondra marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Sara Dewar
Sara Dewar marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Jodi marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Stevie marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Rupashree marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Dakota McGovern
Dakota McGovern marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Luci marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Heather marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 14, 2015 11:24AM
  • Catherine Parr
  • The Tudor Throne
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • Crown in Candlelight
  • The Men Who Would Be King: Suitors to Queen Elizabeth I
  • The Queen's Rival (In the Court of Henry VIII, #3)
  • King's Fool: A Notorious King, His Six Wives, and the One Man Who Knew All Their Secrets
  • At the King's Pleasure  (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #4 )
  • In the Lion's Court: Power, Ambition, and Sudden Death in the Reign of Henry VIII
  • Rivals in the Tudor Court
  • Thomas Cromwell: The Rise and Fall of Henry VIII's Most Notorious Minister
  • Elizabeth: Virgin Queen?
  • The Wild Irish
  • All the Queen's Players
  • The Early Loves of Anne Boleyn
  • Catherine Howard: The Queen Whose Adulteries Made a Fool of Henry VIII
  • Legacy
Born in 1899 and educated at Oxford, Irwin was recognized as a novelist of well-researched and occasionally heart-breaking historical fiction. She is best known for her trilogy about Elizabeth I: Young Bess, Elizabeth Captive Princess, and Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain. Young Bess was made into a movie starring Jean Simmons.

Irwin also wrote passionately about the English Civil War, causing gen
More about Margaret Irwin...

Elizabeth Trilogy (3 books)
  • Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1)
  • Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)

“There was some reason to call Pole heartless. His blood ran thinly in an effete body; no human emotion was urgent in him, neither love of family nor of country, and certainly not of women. But now he was forced to remember that his mother was also a woman, and to realize that her fate had lain at his door.” 1 likes
“It was always too late to retract, to try and retrieve what one had done.” 0 likes