Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)

Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In this, the second of Margaret Irwin??'s great trilogy about the life of ???Good Queen Bess???, Elizabeth I, the imperious, high spirited heroine of Young Bess finds herself the prey of her sister Mary??'s jealous suspicions.The death of her young brother, Edward IV; the accession of Bloody Mary; the execution of Lady Jane Grey; her own imprisonment in the Tower of London...more
Published December 1st 1999 by Allison & Busby (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth, Captive Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth, Captive Princess

Cheryl
King Henry VIII is dead. King Edward is lying in his bed about to die as well. Who will reign next? It was thought that Lady Jane Grey would but she has been executed. Now, it is between Mary and Elizabeth. Elizabeth knows she will be a better Queen than Mary. Unfortunately because Mary is the older of the two, it makes sense that Mary would be the next Queen. Of course, Mary does becomes Queen. Though not a lot of people are happy about it. There is a plot to get Mary out of the throne. Mary is...more
Laura Jane
The second in the trilogy about Elizabeth I's life before she became Queen delivers masterly psychological insights into the hopes and fears of three remarkable women: Elizabeth, the politically astute fighter; her sister Mary, a valiant, determined but tragic figure; and Jane Grey, the studious, naive, devout Protestant a victim of her ambitious relatives.

The story opens with 19 year old Elizabeth resisting attempts to lure her to court to see her dying brother, Edward VI. She believes him to b...more
Kathleen Kelly
This is the second in a trilogy written by Margaret Irwin about Elizabeth Tudor.In the beginning of this book King Edward dies and Lady Jane Grey is deposed after only nine days on the throne. Most of this story takes place during her sister Mary Tudor's reign as Queen of England.

Mary is doing what she can to get rid of the Protestant faith that was the religion of Henry VIII and that Elizabeth grew up with. Mary becomes unpopular when Mary decides she is going to marry

Prince Philip of Spain. T...more
Gaile
A sequel to Young Bess, the woman who becomes
Elizabeth I finds herself in peril when her
brother, Edward VI dies.
First Jane Grey is announced Queen as she is
protestant while Elizabeth's sister, Princess
Mary, the true heiress is a staunch Catholic.
England rallies around Henry VIII's daughter,
Mary and she is crowned. Although at first, friendly
with her sister, an uprising casts suspicion on
Elizabeth and she finds herself Mary's prisoner.
Mary proves a fanatic about her religion. Against
the wish...more
drey
Queen Elizabeth has always fascinated me, and when Sourcebooks offered up Elizabeth, Captive Princess for review, I jumped at it. After all, I did like Young Bess.

Elizabeth's half-brother Edward is King, and has been sickly. When she is summoned to his sick-bed, she instead pleads illness and refuses to make the journey, certain that he is already dead and she may be riding into a trap. Such is the auspicious start to this next novel in Margaret Irwin's trilogy on Queen Elizabeth, which covers t...more
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed the first of the trilogy. I think perhaps its focus was too short.
I would have loved to read more about Elizabeth in the tower and her blossoming infatuation with Robert Dudley someone who ultimately tried to usurp her own claim to the throne through Jane Grey.
I felt that the book didn't really bring across the real fear she must have felt at being her sisters prisoner seen as her mother was beheaded for treason.
The book felt as though Elizabeth kne...more
Irene
I was very interested to find this book, second in a series, by Margaret Irwin -- first published in 1947. I wanted to read this because it covers the years of Elizabeth's life from her brother Edward's death through the first few years of Mary's reign, and ending when Phillip of Spain arrives and ER I is let out of the tower. The next book covers the years where supposedly she is between Philip and Mary, implying a triangle that I was not aware of. They are novels, and therefore, one wonders wh...more
Karen
Irwin captures Elizabeth as a young girl. We see her as the woman she is about to become. She is politically aware. The book opens when Edward becomes king through the regency of the Duke of Somerset and John Dudley's regencies' through Jane Grey's nine day reign and Mary's reign and ends with Mary's proposed marriage to Philip of Spain. Mary is depicted not as bloody Mary but as a sad old maid and extremely jealous of Elizabeth.
Paula
This was a book that I received when I was about 12 (a long time ago) and kept to reread. It was one of the first books that I read about Elizabeth Tudor and contributed to my fascination with her. It isn't really a long book, and it covers a brief period after her brother Edward has died, and Mary has become Queen. Of course, most of the dialogue is fiction, but the action is historical.
Janice
Fantastic book! I have the entire trilogy by Irwin on order and can't wait to get to 3rd book. This time period is a mystery so I was very interested to find out who are the major players. As a result of this book and other back reading I find myself in great admiration of E1. The depictions of the English people's love for her are very moving as well.
As back story, I just found out the Phillip saved E1 so as to avoid Mary of Scots and her French alliances controlling England. Duh! How could I...more
Carla Nayland
Second in this vivid, beautifully written trilogy about Elizabeth I of England. Imprisoned in the Tower, charting a dangerous course through the shifting political alliances at the court of her half-sister Mary, will Elizabeth survive to claim the crown?
Review: http://www.carlanayland.org/reviews/e...
Maia B.
This was much like the first one, only even more confusing because it's unclear what actually happens, except that Mary takes the throne. Elizabeth was not particularly likable in the first book and she's not likable now; there's also a confusing overlap in time between the end of the first book and the beginning of the second book. If the first chapter was a prologue, it would be understandable. Since it's not, it isn't.

This is a long, dragging read. I wouldn't recommend it.
Ella's Gran
The middle book in a Trilogy about Queen Elizabeth I when she was a princess. This book begins with Edward VI’s death, as Elizabeth is summoned to his side with the story moving through Jane Grey’s short reign and subsequent imprisonment and execution, and then Elizabeth's own captivity.
Though I know the history well enough to follow the characters and story, I would recommend beginning with the first book in the Trilogy, Young Bess.
Margaret
Oct 04, 2010 Margaret rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Sourcebooks, Inc

The time period of this novel is fascinating and I do really love the titles in this series. Although the writing from Margaret Irwin is not quite my cup of tea, I felt there was a lot of speaking with out saying anything, but for some they might love it. I definitely would give her another chance, but would not quite call it a favorite.

*Thanks to Sourcebooks, Inc for providing a copy for review.*
Hannah
This is good, don't get me wrong, it just suffers in comparison to Young Bess because there is a severe lack of dashing Tom Seymour. Though, there is an entrance of dashing Robert Dudley which makes up for it. And also neatly highlights how much older, and wiser and more constrained Elizabeth is becoming. The teenage spark and adoration for Seymour is reworked into her awareness of how dangerous love is.
Adrian
Yup, reading through the trilogy. One book to go. Writing is still good- it makes me sad to see Elizabeth getting colder and harder. I suppose it's a trade for her overwhelming desire to rule England. Still enjoying the series and planning to read the last book.
Martha
This was the second book of the trilogy and was just as good as the first. Elizabeth is waiting to inherit the throne, but is constantly in fear that she could be taken off to the tower at any time depending on the whim of those around her.
Elizabeth
Was decent, but did not reach it's full potential. The book was hindered by an indecision in who was the main character. It ought to have been Elizabeth, but her stage time was stolen by too many other secondary characters.
Mary Chambers
This book included some interesting Historical information about Queen Elizabeth I. It was written in 1948 so it didn't flow like the current historical fiction.
Natalie
Novelized tale of Elizabeth's life in the few years between Katherine Parr's death and when Mary finally released E from the Tower. Not bad, but not fantastic.
Lili
Very interesting story of Princess Elizabeth later Eliabeth 1 early life.
Christy
Not as good as the first book.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Emily Mackmiller
Emily Mackmiller marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Liân
Liân marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Carinne Manning
Carinne Manning marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
  • The Tudor Throne
  • Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga, #11)
  • House Of Treason: The Rise And Fall Of A Tudor Dynasty
  • The Queen of Subtleties: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • The Queen's Captive (Thornleigh, #3)
  • Legacy
  • The King's Pleasure
  • Rivals in the Tudor Court
  • To Kill a Queen: An Elizabethan Girl's Diary 1583 -1586
  • His Last Letter: Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester
  • The Queen's Handmaiden
Born in 1899 and educated at Oxford, Irwin was recognized as a novelist of well-researched and occasionally heart-breaking historical fiction. She is best known for her trilogy about Elizabeth I: Young Bess, Elizabeth Captive Princess, and Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain. Young Bess was made into a movie starring Jean Simmons.

Irwin also wrote passionately about the English Civil War, causing gen...more
More about Margaret Irwin...
Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1) Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3) Royal Flush Still She Wished for Company The Gay Galliard: The Great Love of Mary Queen of Scots