Start by marking “Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)

Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy #2)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  216 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The death of her young brother; the accession of Mary; the execution of Lady Jane Grey; and her own imprisonment in the Tower of London provide the background to this novel, the second of the author's trilogy about the life of Good Queen Bess, Elizabeth I.
Published September 13th 1999 by Allison & Busby (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth, Captive Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth, Captive Princess

Cheryl
Oct 11, 2010 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
King Henry VIII is dead. King Edward is lying in his bed about to die as well. Who will reign next? It was thought that Lady Jane Grey would but she has been executed. Now, it is between Mary and Elizabeth. Elizabeth knows she will be a better Queen than Mary. Unfortunately because Mary is the older of the two, it makes sense that Mary would be the next Queen. Of course, Mary does becomes Queen. Though not a lot of people are happy about it. There is a plot to get Mary out of the throne. Mary is ...more
Laura Jane
The second in the trilogy about Elizabeth I's life before she became Queen delivers masterly psychological insights into the hopes and fears of three remarkable women: Elizabeth, the politically astute fighter; her sister Mary, a valiant, determined but tragic figure; and Jane Grey, the studious, naive, devout Protestant a victim of her ambitious relatives.

The story opens with 19 year old Elizabeth resisting attempts to lure her to court to see her dying brother, Edward VI. She believes him to b
Kathleen Kelly
Oct 15, 2010 Kathleen Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This is the second in a trilogy written by Margaret Irwin about Elizabeth Tudor.In the beginning of this book King Edward dies and Lady Jane Grey is deposed after only nine days on the throne. Most of this story takes place during her sister Mary Tudor's reign as Queen of England.

Mary is doing what she can to get rid of the Protestant faith that was the religion of Henry VIII and that Elizabeth grew up with. Mary becomes unpopular when Mary decides she is going to marry

Prince Philip of Spain. T
Gaile
A sequel to Young Bess, the woman who becomes
Elizabeth I finds herself in peril when her
brother, Edward VI dies.
First Jane Grey is announced Queen as she is
protestant while Elizabeth's sister, Princess
Mary, the true heiress is a staunch Catholic.
England rallies around Henry VIII's daughter,
Mary and she is crowned. Although at first, friendly
with her sister, an uprising casts suspicion on
Elizabeth and she finds herself Mary's prisoner.
Mary proves a fanatic about her religion. Against
the wish
drey
Jul 28, 2010 drey rated it really liked it
Queen Elizabeth has always fascinated me, and when Sourcebooks offered up Elizabeth, Captive Princess for review, I jumped at it. After all, I did like Young Bess.

Elizabeth's half-brother Edward is King, and has been sickly. When she is summoned to his sick-bed, she instead pleads illness and refuses to make the journey, certain that he is already dead and she may be riding into a trap. Such is the auspicious start to this next novel in Margaret Irwin's trilogy on Queen Elizabeth, which covers t
Aug 22, 2013 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed the first of the trilogy. I think perhaps its focus was too short.
I would have loved to read more about Elizabeth in the tower and her blossoming infatuation with Robert Dudley someone who ultimately tried to usurp her own claim to the throne through Jane Grey.
I felt that the book didn't really bring across the real fear she must have felt at being her sisters prisoner seen as her mother was beheaded for treason.
The book felt as though Elizabeth kne
Irene
Feb 05, 2013 Irene rated it really liked it
I was very interested to find this book, second in a series, by Margaret Irwin -- first published in 1947. I wanted to read this because it covers the years of Elizabeth's life from her brother Edward's death through the first few years of Mary's reign, and ending when Phillip of Spain arrives and ER I is let out of the tower. The next book covers the years where supposedly she is between Philip and Mary, implying a triangle that I was not aware of. They are novels, and therefore, one wonders wh ...more
Karen Galber
Aug 11, 2014 Karen Galber rated it it was amazing
Irwin captures Elizabeth as a young girl. We see her as the woman she is about to become. She is politically aware. The book opens when Edward becomes king through the regency of the Duke of Somerset and John Dudley's regencies' through Jane Grey's nine day reign and Mary's reign and ends with Mary's proposed marriage to Philip of Spain. Mary is depicted not as bloody Mary but as a sad old maid and extremely jealous of Elizabeth.
Helene Harrison
Review - This was a very interesting interpretation of Elizabeth's time in the Tower of London after the nine days reign of Jane Grey. It imagines the thoughts and feelings of Elizabeth after the death of her half-brother, Edward VI, and her thoughts on religion and how to overcome the difficulties besetting her, like clearing her path to the throne through her half-sister and controversy over religion.

Genre? - Historical / Drama

Characters? - Elizabeth I / Mary I / Philip II of Spain / Jane Grey
Paula
Jan 07, 2014 Paula rated it liked it
This was a book that I received when I was about 12 (a long time ago) and kept to reread. It was one of the first books that I read about Elizabeth Tudor and contributed to my fascination with her. It isn't really a long book, and it covers a brief period after her brother Edward has died, and Mary has become Queen. Of course, most of the dialogue is fiction, but the action is historical.
Janice
Apr 03, 2013 Janice rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! I have the entire trilogy by Irwin on order and can't wait to get to 3rd book. This time period is a mystery so I was very interested to find out who are the major players. As a result of this book and other back reading I find myself in great admiration of E1. The depictions of the English people's love for her are very moving as well.
As back story, I just found out the Phillip saved E1 so as to avoid Mary of Scots and her French alliances controlling England. Duh! How could I
Carla Nayland
Second in this vivid, beautifully written trilogy about Elizabeth I of England. Imprisoned in the Tower, charting a dangerous course through the shifting political alliances at the court of her half-sister Mary, will Elizabeth survive to claim the crown?
Review: http://www.carlanayland.org/reviews/e...
Maia B.
Apr 09, 2011 Maia B. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This was much like the first one, only even more confusing because it's unclear what actually happens, except that Mary takes the throne. Elizabeth was not particularly likable in the first book and she's not likable now; there's also a confusing overlap in time between the end of the first book and the beginning of the second book. If the first chapter was a prologue, it would be understandable. Since it's not, it isn't.

This is a long, dragging read. I wouldn't recommend it.
Ella's Gran
Nov 27, 2012 Ella's Gran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The middle book in a Trilogy about Queen Elizabeth I when she was a princess. This book begins with Edward VI’s death, as Elizabeth is summoned to his side with the story moving through Jane Grey’s short reign and subsequent imprisonment and execution, and then Elizabeth's own captivity.
Though I know the history well enough to follow the characters and story, I would recommend beginning with the first book in the Trilogy, Young Bess.
Caroline
Feels like I've been reading this forever (it's actually been just over a week on and off but at my usual reading rate of a book a day that pretty much is forever!). I've read a lot of Tudor fiction but there was nothing outstanding about this one. The writing didn't make the characters come alive for me and the book just didn't hold my attention. I'll be putting this one straight in the charity donation bag.
Margaret
Oct 04, 2010 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Sourcebooks, Inc

The time period of this novel is fascinating and I do really love the titles in this series. Although the writing from Margaret Irwin is not quite my cup of tea, I felt there was a lot of speaking with out saying anything, but for some they might love it. I definitely would give her another chance, but would not quite call it a favorite.

*Thanks to Sourcebooks, Inc for providing a copy for review.*
Hannah
Aug 30, 2013 Hannah rated it liked it
This is good, don't get me wrong, it just suffers in comparison to Young Bess because there is a severe lack of dashing Tom Seymour. Though, there is an entrance of dashing Robert Dudley which makes up for it. And also neatly highlights how much older, and wiser and more constrained Elizabeth is becoming. The teenage spark and adoration for Seymour is reworked into her awareness of how dangerous love is.
Adrian
Jun 17, 2013 Adrian rated it really liked it
Yup, reading through the trilogy. One book to go. Writing is still good- it makes me sad to see Elizabeth getting colder and harder. I suppose it's a trade for her overwhelming desire to rule England. Still enjoying the series and planning to read the last book.
Martha
Feb 15, 2012 Martha rated it really liked it
This was the second book of the trilogy and was just as good as the first. Elizabeth is waiting to inherit the throne, but is constantly in fear that she could be taken off to the tower at any time depending on the whim of those around her.
Elizabeth
Dec 21, 2010 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Was decent, but did not reach it's full potential. The book was hindered by an indecision in who was the main character. It ought to have been Elizabeth, but her stage time was stolen by too many other secondary characters.
Kirsty
I am really not enjoying this book I can't put my finger on what it is I don't like about it. It is not one of the best historical fiction books that I have ever read.
Mary Chambers
Feb 24, 2012 Mary Chambers rated it really liked it
This book included some interesting Historical information about Queen Elizabeth I. It was written in 1948 so it didn't flow like the current historical fiction.
Natalie
Apr 27, 2009 Natalie rated it liked it
Novelized tale of Elizabeth's life in the few years between Katherine Parr's death and when Mary finally released E from the Tower. Not bad, but not fantastic.
Indra
Excellent historical fiction. The ending is pure perfection and serves as introduction to last book of trilogy.
Lili
Apr 22, 2012 Lili rated it liked it
Shelves: hardback, history
Very interesting story of Princess Elizabeth later Eliabeth 1 early life.
Christy
Jun 18, 2012 Christy rated it liked it
Not as good as the first book.
Jemidar
Mar 16, 2010 Jemidar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Really 4.5 stars.
Wendy
Jan 01, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Good book
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Michelle Hill
Michelle Hill rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 14, 2015 11:25AM
  • Gay Lord Robert (Tudor Saga, #11)
  • The Early Loves of Anne Boleyn
  • To Kill a Queen: An Elizabethan Girl's Diary 1583 -1586
  • The King's Pleasure
  • Coronation of Glory: The Story of Lady Jane Grey
  • The Tudor Throne
  • At the King's Pleasure  (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #4 )
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Catherine Parr
  • The Queen of Subtleties: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • The Queen's Captive (Thornleigh, #3)
  • King's Fool: A Notorious King, His Six Wives, and the One Man Who Knew All Their Secrets
  • The Men Who Would Be King: Suitors to Queen Elizabeth I
  • The Queen's Secret
  • Elizabeth: Virgin Queen?
  • The Wild Irish
Born in 1899 and educated at Oxford, Irwin was recognized as a novelist of well-researched and occasionally heart-breaking historical fiction. She is best known for her trilogy about Elizabeth I: Young Bess, Elizabeth Captive Princess, and Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain. Young Bess was made into a movie starring Jean Simmons.

Irwin also wrote passionately about the English Civil War, causing gen
More about Margaret Irwin...

Elizabeth Trilogy (3 books)
  • Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1)
  • Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain (Elizabeth Trilogy, #3)

“Only danger is real, and difficulty. Yet we live to make our lives safe - and those of others. (..) I will fight my own people to keep them from fighting, for as long as can be. Never fight, until it is unsafe not to fight, unsafe for our souls as well as our bodies. Then fight for their safety, - but when it is won, remember that safety itself is unsafe. For what is safety? It is sleepy thing. It does not make one happy. It does not remind one that it is good to be alive. Life is taken for granted, so it is no longer surprise. It grows dull and monotonous, one lives as a tree or a cabbage or a cow in the straw of the byre. Our forefathers scorned "a straw death". A straw life is worse.” 0 likes