The Wind off the Sea: A Novel of the Women Who Prevailed After World War II

The Wind off the Sea: A Novel of the Women Who Prevailed After World War II (The Bexham Trilogy #2)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  6 reviews
It is 1947, the worst winter in England since records began, and even the sea is frozen. For the women living in the little fishing port of Bexham, the chronic lack of everything from fuel to food has left them reeling. When Waldo Astley, a handsome young American, drives through thick Sussex snow into the village in his large Buick, he finds Bexham filled not only with gr...more
Published August 9th 2004 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published February 17th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind off the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind off the Sea

Bettyjoy Engelbrecht
An interesting enough read, but the author tries to make a mystery of the main character which only leads to frustration on my part, because she keeps hinting at various aspects of his character that lead you in the wrong direction. A fair enough family type sage, but I will not hurry to find the next chapter.
The Twins
Good insight on how life was just after WW2 - Britain won the war but life doesn't feel like it...interesting how women had to adjust back to their pre-war life pretty much behind the stove but had completely different lifes during the war - doing real men’s work and pretty much running the day to day life in Britain.
Stacy
This was a great sequel. More great insights into the devastating effects of a war on home soil. Things I had never even thought of.
Andrew Mills
I was disappointed in this story, first I was not aware it was a sequel, so I think something was missing from the start. The plot didn't reach any great heights, and it took 500 pages until something actually grabbed me. It just sort of meandered along until then. Not high on my re-read list.
Teresa
I didn't actually finish the book - got about 2/3 of the way through and finally gave up. The central premise just didn't work for me and the characters I found so engaging in the first book in the series were just annoying me. I really didn't care what happened to them.
Mark Damaroyd
I recently read this superb book in my new home in Thailand. It reminded me of my postwar childhood in England. Homesick? Well, okay, now and again.
Kim
Kim added it
Jul 14, 2014
Mairead
Mairead is currently reading it
May 17, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
KH
KH marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Karolien
Karolien marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Kayleigh Sandom
Kayleigh Sandom marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Ellen Pryor
Ellen Pryor marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Jasminemae
Jasminemae marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Karen
Karen added it
Aug 09, 2013
Ella's Gran
Ella's Gran marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Honourable Charlotte Mary Thérèse Bingham was born on 29 June 1942 in Haywards Heath, Sussex, England, UK. Her father, John Bingham, the 7th Baron Clanmorris, wrote detective stories and was a secret member of MI5. Her mother, Madeleine Bingham, née Madeleine Mary Ebel, was a playwright. Charlotte first attended a school in London, but from the age of seven to 16, she went to the Priory of Our...more
More about Charlotte Bingham...
To Hear A Nightingale (Nightingale, #1) Daughters of Eden The Chestnut Tree The Season (The Debutantes #2) The Magic Hour