Start by marking “About the Author: Inside the Creative Process” as Want to Read:
About the Author: Inside the Creative Process

About the Author: Inside the Creative Process

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  2 reviews
During the final quarter of the last century, writer Nicholas Basbanes, acclaimed author of A Gentle Madness, enjoyed the rare opportunity as literary editor of the Worcester, Massachusetts, Telegram & Gazette, to interview literally hundreds of authors passing through Boston on publicity tours. "About the Author: Inside the Creative Process" collects more than forty o ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Fine Books Press (first published May 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about About the Author, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About the Author

Steven
I feel unfair in saying this, but I was disappointed by this book for two reasons.

The title suggested to me that this would be more details on authors' creative processes. What I found was a collection of Basbanes' interviews with many authors and not really a focused work on how authors work.

The author's previous books have all been insightful and incisive looks at book publishing and collecting, so perhaps my expectations were set higher than they should be to evaluate a new book.

Still, thi
Jamie
I was really excited about this book. Anne Fadiman writes in "Ex Libris" about how everyone has what she calls their "odd shelf," that shelf of books that doesn't really fit with the rest of their library. I'm not sure if it's so odd, but I would say my odd shelf is a combination of grammar/style guides and books of writers talking about the craft of writing.

This should have been in my wheelhouse, but instead I found it a little slapdash and strange. It's a collection of pieces and interviews th
Amy Koshoffer
Amy Koshoffer marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
GiGi
GiGi marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Mirela Radanovic
Mirela Radanovic marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
iarXiv
iarXiv marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Dian Natalia
Dian Natalia marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Indu Muralidharan
Indu Muralidharan marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Pei Pan
Pei Pan marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Sonya Horbelt
Sonya Horbelt marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Mariano Tongohan
Mariano Tongohan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Kelly Sedinger
Kelly Sedinger marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Casero
Casero marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Rocky
Rocky added it
Mar 07, 2014
K.O.
K.O. marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Holly Woodward
Holly Woodward marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
T.P. Davis
T.P. Davis marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Michael Mullins
Michael Mullins marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Nicholas A. Basbanes is an award-winning investigative journalist and was literary editor of the Worcester Sunday Telegram. His articles have appeared in The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, and Smithsonian, and he is a recipient of a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship. Basbanes lives in North Grafton, Massachusetts.
More about Nicholas A. Basbanes...
A Gentle Madness: Bibliophiles, Bibliomanes, and the Eternal Passion for Books Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book-Hunter in the 21st Century Patience & Fortitude: Wherein a Colorful Cast of Determined Book Collectors, Dealers, and Librarians Go About the Quixotic Task of Preserving a Legacy Every Book Its Reader: The Power of the Printed Word to Stir the World A Splendor of Letters: The Permanence of Books in an Impermanent World