Start by marking “Just Add Trouble (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Just Add Trouble (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #3)

Just Add Trouble (Hetta Coffey Mystery #3)

Hetta Coffey is a sassy Texan with a snazzy yacht, and she's not afraid to use it!

A globe-trotting engineer with adventure in her soul, Hetta is determined to solidify her relationship with her long-distance boyfriend, Jenks Jenkins. What better place for a romantic interlude than aboard her yacht in Mexico's hauntingly beautiful and solitary Sea of Cortez?
But where Hett
Nook, 344 pages
Published October 22nd 2012 by KDP (first published October 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Just Add Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Add Trouble

Laurie Hanan
Jul 16, 2012 Laurie Hanan rated it it was amazing
The Hetta Coffey mysteries just keep getting better. Now Hetta's in Mexico, it's Christmas time, and she's in a heap of trouble. Man trouble, and so much more. As the owner of a West Highland Terrier, I was thrilled to see one featured in the book. As an animal lover, I agonized over the fate of all the animals. It was a relief to know that the animals fared better than most of the human characters. I can't wait to dive into book 4.
S.R. Mallery
Feb 16, 2013 S.R. Mallery rated it it was amazing

To me, Jinx Schwartz’s Just Add Trouble hits a home run right out of the park. From the very first page, the language was so creative and well-phrased, I knew this was going to be a fine read. And talk about a great heroine! Part Sam Spade, part Mae West, one cannot help but fall in love with Hetty Coffey. No plot spoilers here; just hear me out––Ya gotta get this book!

Marilyn
Aug 17, 2012 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been the best in the series so far. I really enjoyed this one. And as usual, Hetta is in trouble again. This time I think she really goes too far. Good storyline and some more interesting characters.
Valerie Downs
Feb 23, 2014 Valerie Downs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super Sleuth

Super Sleuth

Some series lose their momentum as the series increases. Not so the Hetta Coffey series. The more you read of her exploits, and get to know her character traits the more enjoyment in reading the series. I think from my point of view, Hetta doesn't always seek out trouble, but if it finds her she won't back down! Blessed (or cursed) with a well developed curious nature, she follows her curiosity and instincts into multiple and unusual troubles. Fiercely loyal to her friend
Dee
Sep 19, 2013 Dee rated it it was amazing
I love the Hetta Coffey books. Hetta is an unlikely heroine and always getting herself in deep water. This series is very enjoyable, but you must read the book and not skim around and read the end first. Lots happens between the books, but if you read them simultaneously you will be able to stay up-to-date on the current status of the characters, what goes on in their heads, and how they work out theit current problems/mishaps.

RJ
Jul 03, 2014 RJ rated it did not like it
1 1/2 stars
This is a series and not a stand alone novel. The author kept making references back to the other books. It was rather annoying. Needs a good editor. Plus some very offensive racial / cultual language that just really bothered me.
Jeannine Stewart
Apr 21, 2015 Jeannine Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outrageous characters and plots, always entertaining and ready to make you laugh. Sort of like Evanovich on a yacht in the Sea of Cortez with lots of action, bad guys and animals.
Laurie Kazmierczak
Enjoyable read. Main character Hetta is full of wit, but her wisdom is a bit shaky. She places herself in sticky situations but always finds a way to redeem herself. I enjoyed this jaunt over the Cortez Sea (or maybe it's the Sea of Cortez...I'm not a sailor) and the locales described by author Jinx Schwartz.
Donna K
Jun 10, 2017 Donna K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I liked the book, concept, and characters but there were some grammer errors that made me re-read section to make sense. Over all great idea for a book. This is the 3rd book in the series I have read. On to book 4
Kary
Mar 23, 2017 Kary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun hetta Coffey novel. Looking forward to the next installment
Nancy Anderson
Mar 15, 2017 Nancy Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy Hetta's adventures

However implausible the rescues of Hetta become reading the books in this series is entertainment. Will delve into the next one.
Holly Ferguson
Feb 26, 2017 Holly Ferguson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, light read

Fun, light read with interesting characters and twisting plot lines. I also love the fact that I've got to use my dictionary at least 4 times in each book for words I've never heard before
Virginia Williams
Apr 26, 2015 Virginia Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 of the Hetta Coffey series may arguably begin a bit slow, but possibly as the third in the series Ms. Schwartz is still cementing her characters, her locale info, and the Hetta schtick. I've read a number of her books, not in order, and that's part of the charm--if you missed the previous book in the series, any one would still make sense. The characters form an interesting and believable cadre of associates for this 40'ish single female who's found her niche in the engineering world perf ...more
A.M.
Civil engineer Hetta Coffey travels around the world in her yacht and has plenty of work to do. Build a bridge here, fix a port there… Hetta is your woman. And she gets paid well for it. But because she is often in wild areas of the world, she also gets caught up in wild adventures.
***
This is book 3 of a series but I reckon I can pick it up. The cover is… better than it used to be but still looks like a homemade photoshop collage.
Jenks Jenkins? Oh, god… that’s her boyfriend’s name? Really???
We h
Betty
Apr 03, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
California has become to dangerous for Hetta and she decides to locate just across the U S border in Arizona. Jenks has return to Kuwait. Hetta accepts a job in a mine in Mexico and she will drive to Arizona every night. She rents a house on a golf course near the border. Before long all her friends arrive for various reasons. Hetta makes a trip to winery in Mexico and returning from checking on her yacht Jan and her run into trouble again. An attempt to hijack the a plane they were to fly out o ...more
Bryan D.
Jul 09, 2015 Bryan D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
55 of 75 for 2015. Jinx Schwartz has become one of my fall-back authors when I really want something light and frivolous. Hetta Coffey gets into no end of difficult situations as she sails her yacht around the Baja peninsula, and this time is no different. Based in the Sea of Cortez, Just Add Trouble spends less time talking about the free-lance work Hetta is doing, and more on her "adventures" on the mainland, the Sea of Cortez, and the Baja. All the usual characters are present, and the fun an ...more
Allen
Feb 27, 2014 Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I particularly enjoyed this book because I have been in some of these ports and cruised these same waters in my 28 foot engineless sailboat. I have read previous books in this series, and adding the crazy bird Trouble to to mix made it even more fun. I also got tossed into a Mexican jail for 46 hours so I had to deal with Los Federales who are just as stupid as our Drug Enforcement Agencies. I wrote the drug incident up in an article on Amazon, Smashwords and Nook called "A Sailing Story: Drugs, ...more
Judy
May 15, 2016 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this, but didnt love it. Still, it was full of action and some of it was pretty funny. The main character is a Texan who is a bit of a caricature but entertaining anyway. She lives on a yacht currently anchored along the west coast of Mexico and cant seem to keep from getting into scrapes. Not terribly believable, but thats not always a requirement for an enjoyable book. This is the third in a series. It seemed to stand alone fine, but it might be interesting to go back to the beginning ...more
Tracey Chananie
Jul 30, 2015 Tracey Chananie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant Hetta Coffey book! I always hate it when I get to the last page of a Jinx Schwartz book, but that means I can start another one! This time Hetta gets "given" Trouble - her dipsomaniac aunt's illegal "little green parrot" - who has a "slight" dislike of Mexican men! Guess where Hetta is docked! Meth tweaking drug slugs - 1 of whom might just not be, Jan - Hetta's best friend and regular partner in crime and adventures, Jenks - her boyfriend and the search for Granny Yee make for ...more
Norma Huss
Feb 06, 2016 Norma Huss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
One of my very favorite mystery series. Hetta is an original. (She has a boat and she isn't afraid to use it!) She and her boat are in tropical waters off Mexico (and she's into Mexico off the water at times). And the trouble she runs into? Both human and animal, that's, dogs and bird life. I guess the dogs could also refer to a few humans (except dogs are nicer). And of course, there's the sometimes there love life. But the mystery is the thing.
Ann
Mar 26, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another good book from Jinx Schwartz. I have read seven (I think, could be more) and each and every time I have nothing but praise in my reviews.

Always an excellent tale well written with a good plot and humour too. Hetta Coffey is one unique lady! We follow her into yet another adventure and more - as the title says - trouble.

Keep them coming Jinx Schwartz, I will never tire of your stories.
Carol
Hetta has a penchant for jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire... repeatedly... but its so darn much fun jumping with her, why not? Quirky, zany, and a total hoot. She's like Stephanie Plum on steroids, and drags us along (willingly) as she cruises for trouble (and employment) in the Sea of Cortez, and hi-jacks a jacked-up tricked- out 4x4 in a mad cross-desert dash... coyotes and bikers included. Enough odd-ball critters and characters to keep the pages flipping.
Mjuneb
Jul 02, 2016 Mjuneb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hetta to the Rescue

Boyfriend barely out of the country, when everything goes crazy in Mexico. Jan and Hetta are kidnapped by a meth dealer, forced to sneak into the US via a smuggling route, etc. The fun is Trouble, the jerky loving bird and the large group of animals that keep visiting her yacht. Her family and friends are the most eccentric group you have ever met. It has some tense and bloody moments, but you forget it in the nonsense created by the characters.
Kay (Brigidsmomma) Compton
I enjoyed this one. I figured the title had something to do with Hetta's propensity to always get into trouble, but no, Trouble is a parrot. And doe he help Hetta land in more than her fair share of it! I laughed at some of the antics she gets up to, and had to shake my head in a couple of other places as it really does seem that Hetta would have no luck if it weren't for all her BAD luck! Can't wait to read the next one!
Min
Apr 15, 2014 Min rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, 2014, freebie
I think there was just too much going on in this one for me to really enjoy it. Plus, it seemed that there were a lot more racial/ethnic slurs in this one. And the wrap up was very quick, especially compared to the roller coaster ride that was the story. Still, it wasn't a bad read. I think I'll wait a bit before reading the next one, though.
Lois
Apr 08, 2016 Lois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Total Entertainment!

This book could easily be made into an action adventure comedy movie! I thoroughly enjoyed the cast of characters and the non-stop action along with the various animals who were characters themselves. Great story line, great settings, wonderful twists in the plot; just all around great fun.
Donna Engler
Mar 20, 2016 Donna Engler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hetta always heads for trouble and finds it with a capital "T."

I enjoy the romps with Hetta, Jenks, Jan, Chino and occasionally, Nacho. The boat sounds like a lot of fun. Hetta and Jan always seem to be the "free women" everyone of us would like to be. If you like Hetta Coffey stories, you will enjoy this one.
Kathie Dolton
Little above avetage

I love AND hate books in a series. Want to read them in order for my sanity but that's not always possible. Probably would have given it a higher mark if it was the first in the series..lots of times I was at a loss because I didn't know the background. Good story but a map would have been nice so I could picture the area
Mary Rowe
Enjoyed the adventure; Hetta's lack of insight not so much

Jinx Schwartz has a gift. Her heroine(s) just miss being my cup of tea, but not by much. Pleasant and diverting read, with enough pet life included, colorful characters, international intrigue and crazy situations galore. Will gladly read the next Hetta adventure that crosses my path.
Heidi Thomas
Apr 23, 2014 Heidi Thomas rated it really liked it
This is the first Hetta Coffey mystery I've read, and I was quickly caught up in her rollicking adventure. If you like Kinsey Milhone, you'll probably enjoy irreverent, unconventional, zany Hetta. I'll be looking for more of Jinx's books!
  • A Purse to Die For
  • Murder at the Rocks (Alistair Fitzjohn, #2)
  • Deadly Arrangements (The Flower Shop Mystery Series, #2)
  • No Game For a Dame (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #1)
  • Hot Enough to Kill (The Jolene Jackson Mystery Series, #1)
  • Playing With Poison (Cue Ball Mysteries, #1)
  • Lana'i of the Tiger
  • Paper Phoenix
  • Gone Crazy (Lil and Boris #2)
  • Touch and Go  (A Mercy Watts Short Story)
  • Seeing Trouble (Deadwood Shorts, #1)
  • Other People's Skeletons (Rebecca Schwartz, #5)
  • Deadly Business (Maid for Murder #1)
  • Murder at the Cooking School (Cedar Bay Cozy Mystery #7)
  • Murder in Wonderland (Allie Griffin Mystery #1)
  • These Haunts Are Made For Walking (Haunted Tour Guide Mystery #1)
  • Heartache Motel: Three Interconnected Mystery Novellas
  • The Corpse with the Golden Nose (Cait Morgan #2)
Jinx Schwartz is the author of the award-winning Hetta Coffey series.

JUST ADD WATER, first in the series, introduces Hetta, a sassy Texan with a snazzy yacht, and she's not afraid to use it. JUST ADD SALT, JUST ADD TROUBLE, JUST DESERTS, JUST THE PITS, JUST NEEDS KILLIN', AND JUST DIFFERENT DEVILS takes her into hot Mexican Waters. JUST PARDON MY FRENCH, BOOK 8, FINDS HETTA IN FRANCE..

Her other bo
More about Jinx Schwartz...

Hetta Coffey Mystery (8 books)
  • Just Add Water (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #1)
  • Just Add Salt (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #2)
  • Just Deserts (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #4)
  • Just The Pits (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #5)
  • Just Needs Killin' (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #6)
  • Just Different Devils (Hetta Coffey Series #7)
  • Just Pardon My French (Hetta Coffey Series, Book 8)

“You know you’re not in your twenties anymore when you flee the action instead of wanting to be in the middle of it.” 0 likes
“there’s a better place to store your dead batteries than in your camera.” “Yeah, I know. I usually keep them in my flashlight.” 0 likes