Start by marking “Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)” as Want to Read:

Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack #3)

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,114 Ratings  ·  491 Reviews
A pirate at heart, unlikely heroine Jacky Faber returns to the sea in a truly swashbuckling tale filled with good humor, wit, and courage.

After leaving the Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls in Boston—under dire circumstances, of course—she boards a whaling ship bound for London, where she hopes to find her beloved Jaimy. But things don't go as planned, and soon Jacky i
Published August 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Under the Jolly Roger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Jolly Roger

Madison
Mar 05, 2008 Madison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every girl who has ever dreamed of pirates.
This book is my favorite the series. It gives women a little less of a fragile sense and more of a indestructable yet vulnerable headstrongness that I truly love. Definately a favorite. ^-^
Rebecca L. Snowe
As usual Jacky's story was entertaining, exciting, and breathtaking!
Celise
It makes me sad that they don't write many pirate novels for adults. This series is listed as YA, and the themes within are suitable for that category, but the main character is just so obnoxiously childish that I think I've outgrown her.

The author does his research well in terms of nautical technicalities and such, but there is no way a crew of brutes would love and protect a young girl who acts like such a ditz, and accept her as their Captain. Meyer makes things so black and white: there are
Tara Chevrestt
May 08, 2010 Tara Chevrestt rated it it was amazing
Yet another fun, fabulous read about the fiesty heroine, Jacky Faber. In this, the third installment of her adventures, Jacky has left behind a burning Boston (literally!) and is now back to a life at sea. First stop: England. Things don't work out very well for Jacky in England tho.. She is kicked out of her beloved Jaimy's house and then sees him with another woman and well, rather than wait for any kind of explanation (It is the hotheaded Jacky Faber we are talking about here) she runs away. ...more
Rachel
Another excellent book by L.A. Meyer. Jacky manages to find her way back to England only to mistake a lady Jaimy is with as his girlfriend, when it is instead his cousin. On the way back to her hotel, she is mistaken for a boy again and put onto a press gang and she ends on another of His Majesty's ships as a sailor. She makes the best of it and eventually by a total freak accident ends up captain of the same ship and does some privateering in the name of the crown and gets her own ship. I thoug ...more
Angie Taylor
Sep 03, 2008 Angie Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite by far in the series. There is tons of dramatic irony and tons of playful romance, which I love. Also this is the one where the characters are mostly at sea and all of the adventure deals with pirateing. It is a great read.
Linda
Jun 14, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Waiting for the ferry to San Juan Island, I wandered over to their small coffee kiosk. While waiting for my order I asked the barista what he was reading. I don't remember the exact title, but it had to do with a girl who became a pirate and his description was very intriguing.

This weekend in San Diego's Maritime Museum, I found several books with a cover similar to the one he showed me. And I did remember that he had mentioned something about "Bloody Jack." So I bought one of the books and star
Nancy O'Toole
When her time at the Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls ends poorly (and with the city of Boston in flames), Jacky Faber decides to head back to London to reunite with her beloved Jaimy Fletcher. But when she witnesses evidence that Jaimy has been unfaithful to her, she panics and runs straight into a press gang. As Jacky is dressed in male garb, they mistake her for a boy and attempt to press her into service on a ship. When Jacky reveals her true gender, she is horrified with the ship's cap ...more
Sherwood Smith
Wonderful characters, splendid voice, galloping pacing, all kinds of questions raised, but for the most part Meyer stays true to the period paradigm. Jackie is far from perfect, never preachy, but honestly faces her mistakes—and her faults. Watch for some very sly nods to literature! I recommend these highly to anyone who loves rollicking sea adventure stories.
Joy
After leaving Boston and the Lawson Peabody School of Young Girls behind in flames, Jacky returns to England in search of her dear Jaimy. But after getting kicked out of Jaimy's house and seeing him with a another woman, she runs away, only to be kidnapped and drafted by a press gang. So begins Jacky's adventure aboard another of His Majesty's ships: the HMS Wolverine. But this time, the captain of the ship is a dangerous, lecherous man who only wants to see Jacky in his bed. For the sake of her ...more
Justin
Jenben8426
Feb 22, 2012 Jenben8426 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
After leaving the Lawson Peabody School for girls in a bit of a smoky disaster, Jacky Faber is on her way back to England, determined to figure out why she has not heard from her beloved Jamie. Once back on her homeland soil, Jacky again dons her jockey digs in order to find her love. But when she sees Jamie with another girl, she immediately comes to the conclusion that he no longer wants her and she flees from him only to be taken by a press gang and thrown aboard a ship with a dangerous capta ...more
Ellen
Aug 14, 2013 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While all of the Jacky Faber books are great, This was the one that in retrospect began the constant adventures and patterns. (Jacky in one scrap or another where she is able to make lots of money with her cleverness, always barely being able to keep her virtue in tact. Jamie is always one step behind her. and has terrible things happen to him) Yeah this is where it became obvious what would happen through out the series.
This one was still good though, Jacky has left her school and is having ma
Morgan Sweeney
Jan 02, 2010 Morgan Sweeney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was the best in the series in my opinion. It really set the course for the next few books. In this book, Jacky becomes a pirate. In all the books, I like Jacky as a pirate the best.
Also, did anyone notice how Jaimy is always gone? in every book, there is a short encounter of some sort and then they are torn apart again. I fond that Jaimy really isn't a very strong character. There is almost no character development and he's just plain boring.
Liam was awesome in this book. The growth of
April
Nov 12, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am forever and always a fan of Jacky Faber, main character of the Bloody Jack series, so I knew that I had to listen to book three, Under The Jolly Roger: Being An Account Of The Further Nautical Adventures Of Jacky Faber by L.A. Meyer. You see, these books are about a girl who dresses as a boy so that she can be a sailor, and well, in this one that happens to both good and bad ends. Basically, I listened to the next book in the series because I was in desperate need of a guaranteed good liste ...more
Candi
Oct 25, 2012 Candi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: piratical, audio-book
I knew it! I knew she couldn't have been made a midshipman for nothing!

It may be just me and my love of anything piratical, but I feel like the Jacky Faber books are best when she is back at sea and this book did not disappoint. I have not encountered many better books than this.

On a slightly unrelated note, my husband watched the movie "Master and Commander" the other night. Aside from the music, I do not like that movie at all, because there are no women in it. (I am purposefully not counting
Eustacia Tan
Mar 12, 2015 Eustacia Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a long hiatus, I finally got my hands on the next book of the Bloody Jack series! If you forgot what it's about, you can read my reviews of book one and book two here.

Before I even talk about the book, can I just say that's it's getting tough to figure out the order of the books? "The adventures of..." was clearly the first, and "The further adventures" is clearly the second, but it gets confusing from this book onwards. I basically had to search for the list of books page (which didn't ev
Julie Decker
Sep 01, 2014 Julie Decker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now having run away from her destructive time at the finishing school, Jacky Faber is back in her native land looking for her love, Jaimy. But when she sees him being affectionate with another woman, she loses control and runs away despite the arrangements she's made with a maid she's hired, and then she is ambushed by a press gang and taken away on a ship! She attempts to escape but they are able to catch her, and soon Jacky settles in, finding allies and enemies as always. The captain is a hor ...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Jun 05, 2014 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
It hits me with the force of a blow. I am maybe fifteen years old. I am a girl. I am also an acting lieutenant in the Royal Navy and by as regards the chain of command, I am in command of the Majesty's Ship Wolverine.

Continues where Curse of the Blue Tattoo left off where we have Jacky going to see Jaimy first at his house but is greeted unkindly by his mother and later is shocked to find Jaimy with another woman.

It isn't what it looks like cause before Jaimy can explain, Jacky runs away findin
J.S.
May 19, 2016 J.S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-ya
After Jacky Faber returns to England she attempts to reunite with her beloved Jaimy, but things do not go well - as they seldom do for her. (It's usually her fault, of course, being so impulsive.) She ends up press-ganged into service aboard another Royal Navy Ship, the Wolverine, this time with a wicked captain. Before long she's engaged in privateering (legalized piracy of England's enemies).

There's a lot less mooning over Jaimy in this one (thankfully!), and a lot more cheering for her exploi
LadyCroft86
Aug 11, 2014 LadyCroft86 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting adventure with Jacky Faber! This story had more ships and nautical stuff in it and Jacky is a bit more grown up. I was glad to read more about sea adventures and not about the girl's school in Boston. I understand that this is a young adult book aimed and young women and that drama has to be a part of it to get their attention, but it sure was boring. The sea battles, ships and "pirate-ing" was much more exciting to read. We also get introduced to some more good characters and g ...more
AH
Once again another great performance by the narrator. This audio book had me laughing, crying, and sitting on the edge of my seat. This series is perfect for middle school ages and older and the narrator does all sorts of voices and song well.

I love Jacky and I can't wait to listen to the next installment.

The books are overly descriptive but it works for the audio books.
Alethea A
I think this is my favorite. I love all of them, but I love Jacky's sailing adventures the most! I'm actually in the middle of re-reading this but jumped over to Mississippi Jack.
Chris
Dec 24, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book just went on and on. And on and on and on. It was definitely not my favorite in the series, and I'm not sure I want to read any more. There were several stories in this book, and I think each of them could have been its own novella and didn't really fit together as one novel.
KatieSuzanne
Apr 25, 2011 KatieSuzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
The best book in the series. More grown up than the first one and less perfect as the second and a little bit smarter all around. I could be partial to this one since it took place almost entirely at sea. The title is slightly misleading but who cares this book was awesome.
Ticklish Owl
I read the first three books in this series in one go. By the third book the plot, stereotypical characters, and Jacky's proclivity for fleeing trouble were becoming repetitive. (view spoiler)

If you liked this book, you might also enjoy:

The Boston Jane series
The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates series
The Hook's
B.P.
Mar 19, 2016 B.P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still enjoying this series, but would have probably rated this book with 3 and a half stars if I could. Since the site doesn't allow for a half star I gave it the better rating of 4 instead of the lesser rating of 3 since so far I still enjoy the series. I found, since I listened to the audio book it was at times hard to keep track of all the characters and I had to rewind it and listen again. The theme of the book is also a bit repetitive, and I would have liked for Jackie to grow up a bit ...more
Chris Aylott
Mar 17, 2014 Chris Aylott rated it really liked it
It's nice to have Jacky Faber back where she belongs, which is raising hell on the decks of a British warship. Her adventures sometimes verge on unbelievable, and I think Meyer knows it -- how else to explain the cameos from Moby Dick and Treasure Island? -- but the descriptions of life at sea and seamanship are detailed and as far as I know accurate.

Meyer also excels at pulling in not only the history of the time, but the history that the characters are aware of, such as the Irish queen (and p
Kate
Oct 15, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just gets better and better. Loved all of the newest additions to the cast of characters. I think this might be my favorite book in the series thus far.
Di
Apr 17, 2015 Di rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having loved the first book and skipped the second book (due it not being available in the library), I was hoping #3 would still hook me in. And I'm so relieved and pleased to say that it did. It's wonderful to see how Meyer has developed Jacky Faber into a slightly more mature character from the first book with lots of her original character still beautifully preserved. On the surface, Jacky is still the same wild and rash girl, but underneath it all, Meyer hasn't shied away from revealing the ...more
Characters 2 20 Apr 01, 2016 12:22PM
  • Star-Crossed (Patricia MacPherson Nautical Adventures, #1)
  • Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas (Piratica, #1)
  • Pirates!
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes, #3)
  • Girl in Blue
  • Wilderness Days (Boston Jane, #2)
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • Montmorency On The Rocks: Doctor, Aristocrat, Murderer? (Montmorency, #2)
  • Classical Mythology
  • The Silver Blade (French Revolution, #2)
  • The FitzOsbornes in Exile (The Montmaray Journals, #2)
  • Alchemy and Meggy Swann
  • Alphabet of Dreams
  • The Pirate Queen: The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate
Louis A. Meyer is best known as the author of the Bloody Jack novels. He was also a painter and the author of two children's picture books, and he and his wife owned an art gallery called Clair de Loon in Bar Harbor.

Louis A. Meyer passed away on July 29, 2014 from refractory Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. His final Jacky Faber book, Wild Rover No More, will be published posthumously in September.
More about L.A. Meyer...

Bloody Jack (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2)
  • In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4)
  • Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)
  • My Bonny Light Horseman: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, in Love and War (Bloody Jack, #6)
  • Rapture of the Deep: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Soldier, Sailor, Mermaid, Spy (Bloody Jack, #7)
  • The Wake of the Lorelei Lee: Being an Account of the Adventures of Jacky Faber, on her Way to Botany Bay (Bloody Jack, #8)
  • The Mark of the Golden Dragon: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Jewel of the East, Vexation of the West, and Pearl of the South China Sea (Bloody Jack, #9)
  • Viva Jacquelina! Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Over the Hills and Far Away (Bloody Jack, #10)
  • Boston Jacky: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Taking Care of Business (Bloody Jack, #11)

“Then it hits me....
And it hits me with the force of a blow. I am maybe fifteen years old. I am a girl. I am also acting lieutenant in the Royal Navy, and, by the Naval Rules and Regulations as regards the chain of command, I am in command of His Majesty's Ship Wolverine.”
67 likes
“We clear the harbor and the wind catches her sails and my beautiful ship leans over ever so gracefully, and her elegant bow cuts cleanly into the increasing chop of the waves. I take a deep breath and my chest expands and my heart starts thumping so strongly I fear the others might see it beat through the cloth of my jacket. I face the wind and my lips peel back from my teeth in a grin of pure joy.” 53 likes