Start by marking “Carmine: A Little More Red” as Want to Read:
Carmine: A Little More Red

Carmine: A Little More Red

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  54 reviews
And, as Carmine takes off on her bicycle with Rufus, that is just what she intends to do. But Carmine is a dreamy painter, always in search of capturing just the right hue in her drawings, and this drawing—the one she begins in a lovely forest clearing just off the path to Granny’s—must be her best yet.

Here is a new, lively retelling of a timeless tale with enough twists...more
Published May 2nd 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Carmine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carmine

Miriam
Granny isn't sick -- she's just making a nice pot of alphabet soup. What could be more natural than to ring a favorite grandchild and invite her over? Our artistically-inclined, red-loving protagonist hops on her bike, taking her painting supplies and faithful dog, and off into the woods she goes. "Don't dilly-dally," her mother reminds her, but she can't resist pausing to sketch a scenic spot. And then, a little farther off, she spies some poppies crying out to by painted... While she is dawdli...more
Bernice
Carmine, a girl that loves red, is filled with imagination and demonstrates this through her beautiful portraits she paints for her grandmother. On one particular trip to her grandmother's house, against her mother's advice to ride straight through the forest without stopping, Carmine stops to paint the beautiful landscape around her. A wolf that has been heard and sighted in the area sees Carmine and her dog. We are whisked by her adventure to see what happens between Carmine and the wolf.

As I...more
N_kellie
This creative take on the classic “Little Red Riding Hood” is set up in an ABC book format. But don’t be mistaken, it’s no baby book. Melissa Sweet has chosen to highlight some wonderful words as she tells the story of Carmine dilly-dallying on her way to grandma’s house. The reader is sure to expand their vocabulary with words like exquisite, indeed, lurking, reckoned, and surreal.

The story opens with Carmine (cleverly named a shade of red) painting a picture in her bedroom, thinking about how...more
Paul  Hankins
Before taking the Robert F. Sibert Award for Balloons over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy’s Parade, Melissa Sweet created this little alphabet book, her debut picture book.

A delightful retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, Carmine is a little girl invited to her grandmother's house for some alphabet soup. On the way, she encounters a wolf. And a number of sight words that will be fun for younger readers while at the same time helping to develop a rich vocabulary.

Sprinkled into...more
Michele
One of my new favorite alphabet books that is nestled within a classic-Little Red Riding Hood. Readers get a special treat when they enjoy this Caldecott-worthy picture book: a classic w/a twist that carries with it the genre of being an ABC book that truly has a fun, adventuresome character. My daughter brought this home from library at school & we ordered one for my (ahem, her) personal library right away.
Lyndy Stein
This was a wonderful book filled with both colorful, detailed text and illustrations. This fun take on "Little Red Riding Hood" tells the story of Carmine and the journey that she goes on with her dog, Rufus, as they go over the river and through the woods to visit her grandma. What makes this book so unique is that it goes through the alphabet page by page and presents a lot of fun vocabulary words and phrases for young readers. Some of my favorites in this book were dilly-dally, exquisite, hai...more
Lorna
A fun twist on the Little Red Riding Hood story, with the added addition of an alphabet book. Great vocabulary and interesting format would be great to use with upper elementary students.
Deja
Review: I never really heard of this book to I was searching for fairy tales online and this came up. I really enjoyed how they portrayed carmine in the story not like the original riding hood on the way to her granny's. Meaning she was and artist and seem like she always had art on her mind on her journal traveling through the forests.

Utilize:I would read this story as a guide on all the things that are in a forest. We would be already covering the topic on a forest so this book would be a grea...more
Ying Lee
It' time for alphabet soup! Carmine is excited about granny's invitation for alphabet soup. Upon receiving granny's phone call, Carmine collects her art supplies and rides on her bike with her dog, Rufus, and sets off. Though her mom and granny have cautioned and reminded her of staying on the path and going directly to granny's place in case of the wolf, Carmine cannot help but be distracted by the exquisite scenery on the road. She decides to draw a picture for her granny. As Carmine is focusi...more
Loretta Kramer
Carmine – A Little More Red is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. The main character of the story, Carmine, sets off to visit her grandmother on her bike with her pet dog and art materials. As the story continues, each page highlights a letter of the alphabet with a word, such as alphabet, beware and clutter and ends with zillion – Granny reminded Carmine that she had been told a ZILLION times not to dilly-dally in the woods.

Carmine – A Little More Red is clever and educational all in one....more
Courtney
Carmine: A Little More Red is a modernized Little Red Riding Hood story. This book was published in 2005 and was written and illustrated by Melissa Sweet. What first caught my attention about this book was the cover art, and as I flipped through the pages I was hooked.

What caught my attention first were the illustrations, they are made from mixed media, including handmade papers, collage, and found objects. The cover includes a drawing of Carmine and her dog, Rufus, outlined by a picture frame....more
Jill
Written and Illustrated by- Melissa Sweet
Published- Boston : Houghton Mifflin, c2005.
ISBN- 0-618-38794-3 (hardcover)
Awards- Red Clover Nominee
Genre- Fable

I read this today, after finding it when looking for fairytale stories retold. This book is an extremely charming retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. The young protagonist Carmine is an artist who likes to wander on her way to visit her grandmother, and does so today. She stops and paints pretty pictures along the way with her dog. The dog i...more
Sarah Herranen
This book was creative in a teachable sense. It is another change up to the classical tale of Little Red Riding Hood. This book had an alphabet scheme and taught difficult vocabulary along the way. Each page had a new vocab word that would be great to teach in a classroom. The illustrations were very unique. The story also ties in some other folk tales in little comic type boxes in the pages, for example: The Three Little Pigs. The in-pages were my favorite. They were splotches of all different...more
Sara Larson
In this alphabet book, based on the story Little Red Riding Hood, Carmine is invited to her Granny's house to eat alphabet soup for lunch. Her Granny tells her not to stop along the way. Carmine grabs her dog Rufus and her art supplies, and heads over to Granny's on her bike. On the way, Carmine notices that the light is perfect for painting. She stops, sets up her easel and canvas, and begins to paint Granny a picture. While she is busy painting, a wolf begins a discussion with her dog, Rufus....more
Megan Boomgarden
This is the familiar story of "Little Red Riding Hood" but with a small twist. Carmine is on her way to visit her grandmother and get some soup but stops in teh woods to paint a picture of red poppies. Like the original story, the wolf beats Carmine to Granny's and when Carmine arrives, she finds her Granny locked in the closet. (not eaten thank goodness) the moral of this fractured fairy tale is to not "dilly dally" in the woods.

This version of "Little Red Riding Hood" has been adapted so it i...more
Tyley Hunter
This story is a children’s picture book about a famous folk tale, Red Riding Hood, but told with a unique twist. Carmine sets out for her granny’s house and was told to not stop because there has been a wolf spotted in the forest. Although Carmine agrees, along the way she stops to paint a picture for her granny. While she was painting, Carmine’s dog ran into the wolf and told him about the delicious soup that granny was making, which included large bones. The wolf goes to granny’s house and tak...more
Diressa Belcher
This modern version of Little Red Riding Hood is sure to challenge our brains! Carmine is a painter who thrives on creativity. Carmine must avoid the Wolf's Den on her way to Grandma's house to enjoy alphabet soup. In this twist Carmen saves Grandma from the pack of hungry wolves!

In terms of literacy this book is very important for vocabulary development. Children are introduced to the words: beware, clutter, dilly-dally, exquisite, farther, green, haiku, indeed, joke, knoll, lurking, mimic, ni...more
Linda
I have never read this first book by Melissa Sweet, I suppose you could say her first book about the color red, and be reminded of A Splash of Red, and this year, Little Red Writing. This particular book is filled with color and tells an “adapted” story of Little Red Writing Hood that uses highlighted words on each page that help tell the story a little girl named Carmine, on her way to Granny’s house to eat delicious alphabet soup. Carmine loves to draw and paint, and takes her art materials wi...more
Kara
The end pages of this book is cool as they list all the different words we use for the shades of red, and are spelled out with alphabet soup letters. This sets up the story that Red is going to be a very important color in the book. It is very neat how she took a traditional story and made it an alphabet book. The watercolor pictures are really neat and allow her to play up the red and playing with the lighting. It is a book that would also help teach new words, even a French word, and even list...more
Kimberly
This book is a different version of little red riding hood. It is about a grandma that teachers her granddaughter how to spell using alphabet soup, so the grandma invites her over one day for soup, and then the rest of the story is similiar to the little red riding hood.

However, on each page is a different word, as the book goes in order of the alphabet. It introduces a lot of really good vocabulary words throughout the book.

Some ideas for this book, The students could compare and contrast the t...more
Emyrose8
Cute alphabet book! Love the vocabulary!
Betsy
I LOVED this very clever ABC/Little Red Riding Hood tale. It's a great read-aloud for all ages from PK-middle school. For the older kids, you could focus more on the interesting vocablulary & the subtle nuances included in the text and illustrations. Younger kids enjoy a breifer version of the story, relating to the "familiar" Little Red Riding Hood story-line. Although accurate, labeling this a ABC/Little Red Riding Hood story really doesn't do it justice. You really have to read it to appr...more
Kacie Fincher
One of the best parts of this book are the illustrations. The pictures are beautifully drawn and are full of vivid colors. Each page also uses a word to represent each letter of the alphabet, however some of the words chosen seemed a bit out of place. Also when reading this book I felt as though the story did not flow easily and there were a few times where I needed to re-read a page to understand the passage more clearly. A decent read.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Combine twenty-six meaty new words, a sprinkling of fairy tale characters, one talented young artist, forty pages of gorgeous watercolours and an irresistably spunky dog and “voila!” an exciting new rendition of the Red Riding Hood theme. Bones optional.

Listen to our chat about this on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:
Missy
My three-year-old loves the detailed, funny pictures (stories within the story) and my five-year-old enjoys the interesting vocab word on each page (in ABC order). Fun tale with a little extra learning and a twist at the end. There's also a recipe for Granny's alphabet soup, which we will be making. I'll let you know if it's good...Thanks for the recommendation, Teri!

Ela
My son really enjoyed this book. His name is Carmine so I figured it would be a nice way of getting him a little more into the story while still having a good bedtime story to read to him.

It's a vocabulary book with really colorful pictures and a cohesive story. Although, I do have to say that I didn't find one of the words appropriate for a four year old.
Jackie
Carmine is off to visit Granny. Mom says, “Don’t dilly-dally”. She warns Carmine about the wolf in the woods. “Indeed”, Rufus, her dog, notices a wolfy scent in the air. The mockingbird mimics a wolf’s cry. Carmine tells him, “Don’t be a nincompoop”.

This alphabet spoof of Little Red Riding Hood is hilarious and uses some colorful words in the re-telling.
Pam
Carmine: A Little More read is a wonderful book. I was really excited about the vocabulary involved. I shared this book with about ten young children of various ages. We were able to set around a picnic table and get cozy. Then we were able to really discuss each and every page. Even the boys liked it. Recommend for a small group.
Amanda
Very cute update on the Little Red Riding Hood story. It's an alphabet book, which I didn't anticipate, with some good vocabulary i.e. exquisite, mimic and zillion, although I thought nincompoop was unnecessary. The illustrations are wonderful and make it equally fun for read as the one being read to.
Molly
This one is an alphabet book, with the basic premise of Little Red Riding Hood. The execution is cute and the illustrations are nice. I'm not a huge fan of alphabet books, but this is a nice example of one that would be appropriate for young school aged children.
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • Lightship
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • Born to Read
  • Little Red Writing
There is more than one author with this name

Melissa Sweet grew up in a suburban neighborhood that had lots of kids, kick-the-can games on summer nights, and Percy's candy store right nearby.

Later she received her Associate’s Degree from Endicott Junior College in Beverly, Massachusetts, and studied art at the Kansas City Art Institute.

Sweet began began illustrating children's books in 1986 and h...more
More about Melissa Sweet...
Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade Tupelo Rides the Rails Fiddle-I-Fee: A Farmyard Song for the Very Young A Dozen Easter Eggs Dirty Laundry Pile: Poems in Different Voices