Start by marking “Wideness and Wonder: The Life and Art of Georgia O'Keeffe” as Want to Read:
Wideness and Wonder: The Life and Art of Georgia O'Keeffe

Wideness and Wonder: The Life and Art of Georgia O'Keeffe

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Continuing Chronicle's acclaimed series of artist books for kids, Wideness and Wonder is the fascinating story of the mysterious and beloved artist Georgia O'Keeffe. Well-known children's biography writer Susan Goldman Rubin traces the events that shaped O'Keeffe's art and how art influenced OKeeffe's life in return. Wideness and Wonder is colorful, accessible, and packed ...more
Published April 6th 2011 by Chronicle Books (first published October 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Wideness and Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wideness and Wonder

Sabrina
Nonfiction. Grade 4 and up. Great introduction to a master painter. As a children's book, the text rightfully concentrates on the early years leading up to her relationship with Steiglizt. Insightfully chosen anecdotes based on past interviews with O'Keeffe and others give insights into her early talent and ambition. The parallel between her career and the suffragist movement is highlighted without distracting from the story of O'Keeffe's artistic development. Beautiful prints of her work, inclu ...more
Alvera
I suppose this biography is intended for children, but I appreciated as an adult that it was a quick read without feeling dumbed down. I loved the photographs of O'Keeffe (mostly by her husband) and images of her artworks throughout this biography. I loved learning more details about her life as an artist and as a person and learning her progression of subjects and how they matched her travels and other things that were going on in her life. :)

I liked and related to the descriptions of Georgia
I heartily recommend this quiet, chronological bio to anyone who just needs to slow down and take a deep breath. The austere tone of the prose, which occasionally sounds young, actually complements the soothing artwork, displayed in full color throughout. The design is outstanding, each page that faces a piece of O'Keeffe's art is shaded in the most prominent color from the painting with complementary-colored text. This sounds like it might look busy, but the effect is the opposite. The soft was ...more
Kim
After visiting the museum named after her in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Georgia O'Keefe, one the masters of modern art, is described in this wonderful biography by Susan Goldman Rubin. I felt I needed to know more about her, so I purchased this book and found the life story of this amazing woman and artist. The early 20th century was a time when women were directed to be art instructors in high schools and colleges, Georgia O'Keefe did what only a few women dared to do, and that was to become an arti ...more
Kris Patrick
Reads like a 127 page wikipedia article. The first forty years of her life she zips between Wisconsin, NYC, South Carolina, and Texas at a dizzying pace, and you gain little sense of her personality with the exception that she can be prickly. Two complaints to the book's publisher, Chronicle, who typically shines in book design. Why on the cover feature of photo of Georgia on the back of a dude's motorcycle when she was a clearly a loner? Plus, metaphorically speaking, she was part of the femini ...more
Sue
I'm going to see the Georgia O'Keefe exhibit at the IMA .and wanted just a little biographical information..and that's what is so nice about kids books...interesting and understandable...
Lisa
Oct 15, 2011 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: CapCh 10-14
The colors in this beautifully designed biography are perfect for the subject. The inclusion of so many of O'Keeke's paintings aid the reader in getting to know the artist.
Barbara
Rubin uses 17 chapters to cover the life and times of this incredible, ground-breaking artist. Because so many of the quotations used in this biography for middle grade and teen readers come from Georgia herself, the book has an immediacy about it, as though readers are peeking right over the artist's shoulders. The breathless wonder with which she beheld her beloved Arizona landscapes and the artistic possibilities she saw in everything around her are described vividly. Rubin doesn't avoid some ...more
Cyndi
I read this non-fiction young adult book for my Young Adult Literature class. I had signed up for the non-fiction genre presentation and needed a book. Georgia O'Keefe is one of my favorite artists but this book was not too exciting.

Susan Goldman Rubin has written several such books and I think she has the facts down and some great pictures of O'Keefe's works but the book lacks interesting elements. Georgia O'Keefe was an interesting person but this book reads more like a text book.

I could fin
Emily
Quick, informative, not a lot of style to the writing, but a decent introduction to her life.
Jan
Jan 05, 2015 Jan added it
A beautiful book and enjoyable read. A great introduction to an amazing female artist and her work.
Laura Hodgins
Short but lots of facts that I hadn't read elsewhere, very interesting read.
Cathy
I expect informational literature intended for young audiences to move me to look deeper into a particular subject. I enjoyed the feel and texture of the pages and the inclusion of not only O'Keefe's images, but also Steiglitz's photos of her. However the writing felt condescending, and the colored pages and fonts were often difficult to read. Georgia O'Keefe is one of my favorite artists however, Rubin's book did not drive me or motivate me to look deeper into O'Keefe's life.
Christina
This biography captures the colors and feelings of artist Georgia O’Keeffe’s life and career. The text in either black or white on solid bright colored backgrounds provides a beautiful complement to the reproductions of O’Keeffe’s art on opposite, white, pages. Rubin writes in clear prose about O’Keeffe’s life, from childhood through early artistic efforts and teaching jobs, meeting Alfred Stieglitz and gaining success as an artist. I really liked it!
Krista
Aug 25, 2012 Krista added it
This visually stunning biography of Georgia O'Keeffe was a pleasure to read. It gave a glimpse of the woman behind the art, and introduced me to some of the artist's work. After reading, I very much want to visit Ghost Ranch and learn more about O'Keeffe's life and work.
Jaime
I really enjoyed this concise biography of O'Keeffe's entire life. It wasn't unwieldy in length and contained primary sources. It gave me a good background to enhance my enjoyment of an upcoming art exhibit of her New Mexico works.
Could easily be read by an older student.
Stacy Ford
This biography was engaging and concise. The pages were filled with her work and others work related to her. A solid biography. Includes index, image credits and bibliography.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
An excellent look at the life and art of Georgie O'keefe. Teachers add this to your lists of books or references for upper middle grade/ya. Layout of the book is gorgeous too.
Teri
NICE book with great photos and renditions of Georgia O'Keeffe. 109 pages--but the quality of the renditions is wonderful.
Edward Sullivan
A beautifully designed and illustrated, and engagingly written chronicle of O'Keeffe's life and work.
Susan
A nice introduction to O'Keeffe with nice feminist/independent woman touches.
Mmmonahan
Beautifully illustrated, sensitively written for the adolescent reader.
Mary Lee
O'Keefe lived an amazing life.
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2015
Sandi
Sandi is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2015
Kristina Sweigard
Kristina Sweigard marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Haelyn Lee
Haelyn Lee marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Susan Goldman Rubin is the author of more than forty-five books for young people, including Andy Warhol: Pop Art Painter; The Yellow House: Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin Side by Side; and Edward Hopper: Painter of Light and Shadow. A long-time instructor in the UCLA Extension Writers Program, Susan Goldman Rubin lives in Malibu, California.
More about Susan Goldman Rubin...
Irena Sendler And The Children Of The Warsaw Ghetto Music Was It: Young Leonard Bernstein Andy Warhol's Colors Freedom Summer: The 1964 Struggle for Civil Rights in Mississippi The Anne Frank Case: Simon Wiesenthal's Search for the Truth