Start by marking “Wideness and Wonder: The Life and Art of Georgia O'Keeffe” as Want to Read:
Wideness and Wonder: The Life and Art of Georgia O'Keeffe

Wideness and Wonder: The Life and Art of Georgia O'Keeffe

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  76 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Continuing Chronicle's acclaimed series of artist books for kids, Wideness and Wonder is the fascinating story of the mysterious and beloved artist Georgia O'Keeffe. Well-known children's biography writer Susan Goldman Rubin traces the events that shaped O'Keeffe's art and how art influenced OKeeffe's life in return. Wideness and Wonder is colorful, accessible, and packed ...more
Published April 6th 2011 by Chronicle Books (first published October 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Wideness and Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wideness and Wonder

Sabrina
Dec 17, 2013 Sabrina rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-children-s
Nonfiction. Grade 4 and up. Great introduction to a master painter. As a children's book, the text rightfully concentrates on the early years leading up to her relationship with Steiglizt. Insightfully chosen anecdotes based on past interviews with O'Keeffe and others give insights into her early talent and ambition. The parallel between her career and the suffragist movement is highlighted without distracting from the story of O'Keeffe's artistic development. Beautiful prints of her work, ...more
Alvera
May 11, 2014 Alvera rated it really liked it
I suppose this biography is intended for children, but I appreciated as an adult that it was a quick read without feeling dumbed down. I loved the photographs of O'Keeffe (mostly by her husband) and images of her artworks throughout this biography. I loved learning more details about her life as an artist and as a person and learning her progression of subjects and how they matched her travels and other things that were going on in her life. :)

I liked and related to the descriptions of Georgia
May 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-nonfiction
I heartily recommend this quiet, chronological bio to anyone who just needs to slow down and take a deep breath. The austere tone of the prose, which occasionally sounds young, actually complements the soothing artwork, displayed in full color throughout. The design is outstanding, each page that faces a piece of O'Keeffe's art is shaded in the most prominent color from the painting with complementary-colored text. This sounds like it might look busy, but the effect is the opposite. The soft ...more
Lisa
Oct 15, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: CapCh 10-14
The colors in this beautifully designed biography are perfect for the subject. The inclusion of so many of O'Keeke's paintings aid the reader in getting to know the artist.
Sue
Jan 11, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-books
I'm going to see the Georgia O'Keefe exhibit at the IMA .and wanted just a little biographical information..and that's what is so nice about kids books...interesting and understandable...
Kim
Jul 23, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
After visiting the museum named after her in Santa Fe, New Mexico, Georgia O'Keefe, one the masters of modern art, is described in this wonderful biography by Susan Goldman Rubin. I felt I needed to know more about her, so I purchased this book and found the life story of this amazing woman and artist. The early 20th century was a time when women were directed to be art instructors in high schools and colleges, Georgia O'Keefe did what only a few women dared to do, and that was to become an ...more
Rachel
Ok, so I'm a late Georgia O'Keeffe convert. I knew about her art of course, but had never really studied it until I decided to do a presentation on her for Kids Cafe. I found her art and life fascinating once I started researching her, so I decided I wanted more information and got this book for that purpose. I liked that she decided early to become an artist, but changed her mind based on personal illnesses, but then decided she wanted to do it full-time. And this was a time when very few women ...more
Barbara
Jun 24, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Rubin uses 17 chapters to cover the life and times of this incredible, ground-breaking artist. Because so many of the quotations used in this biography for middle grade and teen readers come from Georgia herself, the book has an immediacy about it, as though readers are peeking right over the artist's shoulders. The breathless wonder with which she beheld her beloved Arizona landscapes and the artistic possibilities she saw in everything around her are described vividly. Rubin doesn't avoid some ...more
Kris Marley Patrick
Nov 07, 2014 Kris Marley Patrick rated it liked it
Reads like a 127 page wikipedia article. The first forty years of her life she zips between Wisconsin, NYC, South Carolina, and Texas at a dizzying pace, and you gain little sense of her personality with the exception that she can be prickly. Two complaints to the book's publisher, Chronicle, who typically shines in book design. Why on the cover feature of photo of Georgia on the back of a dude's motorcycle when she was a clearly a loner? Plus, metaphorically speaking, she was part of the ...more
Cyndi
Mar 20, 2012 Cyndi rated it liked it
I read this non-fiction young adult book for my Young Adult Literature class. I had signed up for the non-fiction genre presentation and needed a book. Georgia O'Keefe is one of my favorite artists but this book was not too exciting.

Susan Goldman Rubin has written several such books and I think she has the facts down and some great pictures of O'Keefe's works but the book lacks interesting elements. Georgia O'Keefe was an interesting person but this book reads more like a text book.

I could fin
Christina
Dec 28, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, nonfiction
This biography captures the colors and feelings of artist Georgia O’Keeffe’s life and career. The text in either black or white on solid bright colored backgrounds provides a beautiful complement to the reproductions of O’Keeffe’s art on opposite, white, pages. Rubin writes in clear prose about O’Keeffe’s life, from childhood through early artistic efforts and teaching jobs, meeting Alfred Stieglitz and gaining success as an artist. I really liked it!
Cathy
Sep 02, 2011 Cathy rated it it was ok
Shelves: informational
I expect informational literature intended for young audiences to move me to look deeper into a particular subject. I enjoyed the feel and texture of the pages and the inclusion of not only O'Keefe's images, but also Steiglitz's photos of her. However the writing felt condescending, and the colored pages and fonts were often difficult to read. Georgia O'Keefe is one of my favorite artists however, Rubin's book did not drive me or motivate me to look deeper into O'Keefe's life.
Janet
Aug 16, 2016 Janet rated it it was amazing
A great distillation of Georgia O'Keefe's art development and life progression with vivid color and her spirit infused in the narrative. Good use of images of her artwork and photographs of her throughout.
Susan
Mar 15, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
The book is beautiful, each page is thick, glossy and colorful and the reproductions of Georgia's art are lovely. I know the book is meant for children but I was looking for a simple but accurate version of Georgia's life after reading the fictional Georgia by Dawn Tripp. Very well done!
Jaime
Mar 06, 2013 Jaime rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this concise biography of O'Keeffe's entire life. It wasn't unwieldy in length and contained primary sources. It gave me a good background to enhance my enjoyment of an upcoming art exhibit of her New Mexico works.
Could easily be read by an older student.
Krista
Aug 25, 2012 Krista added it
This visually stunning biography of Georgia O'Keeffe was a pleasure to read. It gave a glimpse of the woman behind the art, and introduced me to some of the artist's work. After reading, I very much want to visit Ghost Ranch and learn more about O'Keeffe's life and work.
Stacy Ford
Aug 27, 2011 Stacy Ford rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This biography was engaging and concise. The pages were filled with her work and others work related to her. A solid biography. Includes index, image credits and bibliography.
Barb Innes
Aug 07, 2015 Barb Innes rated it it was amazing
Though geared for young adults..I thoroughly enjoyed! Great text about Georgia and accompanied by her paintings. A fast read and a very good overview of her brilliance!
Edward Sullivan
A beautifully designed and illustrated, and engagingly written chronicle of O'Keeffe's life and work.
Teri
Nov 26, 2011 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
NICE book with great photos and renditions of Georgia O'Keeffe. 109 pages--but the quality of the renditions is wonderful.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
An excellent look at the life and art of Georgie O'keefe. Teachers add this to your lists of books or references for upper middle grade/ya. Layout of the book is gorgeous too.
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
May 28, 2011
Karla Duff
Karla Duff rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Annie He
Annie He rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
June Geiger
June Geiger rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Miriam
Miriam rated it really liked it
May 30, 2011
Stuart
Stuart rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Saleena Davidson
Saleena Davidson rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Susan Goldman Rubin is the author of more than forty-five books for young people, including Andy Warhol: Pop Art Painter; The Yellow House: Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin Side by Side; and Edward Hopper: Painter of Light and Shadow. A long-time instructor in the UCLA Extension Writers Program, Susan Goldman Rubin lives in Malibu, California.
More about Susan Goldman Rubin...