Start by marking “Executive Intent (Patrick McLanahan, #16)” as Want to Read:
Executive Intent (Patrick McLanahan, #16)

Executive Intent (Patrick McLanahan #16)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,065 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
“For fictional thrill rides on the printed page, get on board with the novels of Dale Brown.”
New YorkNewsday

The incomparable Dale Brown (“The best military writer in the country” —Clive Cussler) roars back at full throttle with Executive Intent. The perennial New York Times bestselling master delivers another action-packed tale of international intrigue and technological
Published May 11th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Executive Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Executive Intent

Kevin
Jul 02, 2013 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I began this book thinking that it would be a generic techno-thriller involving some conflict between China, Russia, and the US. It would have some high tech battles, some victories by either side, and a resolution that wouldn't be unrealistic. Turns out, nope.

Essentially the book was a piece of Air Force/NASA propaganda. Almost every other branch of the US military was marginalized or belittled in favor of the Air Force. Without spoiling anything, I can say that this book has some of the best A
J Stanley
Aug 22, 2015 J Stanley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Interesting story. NOt at all what I expected. 3.5 stars Could have been a little better.
Jeff Crosby
I haven't read a Dale Brown book in years, nor have I been reading many techno-thrillers. This was available as an audio book at the library so I decided to indulge. I lost interest in Brown's novels as they moved further and further into science fiction/alternate history. But you never know . . .

My biggest problem with the book is that Brown has created a Patrick McLanahan alternate history that has some pretty unbelievable events. In this book, he writes about Somali pirates as a continuing th
David Campton
One of the characters accuses another of spending too much time reading cheesy techno-thrillers. I spent too much time reading this cheesy techno-thriller. The scene suggests that the author is at least self-aware as he churns out this jargon-laden nonsense. I haven't read any of his previous books in this series, but it seems to offer an alternate contemporary America where, if the lily-livered President won't do what is necessary to defend American interests then an NGO completely unlike Save ...more
William Bentrim
Jun 05, 2010 William Bentrim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Intent by Dale Brown

I’ve missed a couple of Dale Brown’s thrillers. This takes place a few years after Tin Man. An insipid president is faced with multiple international incidents and reacts with timidity. An assertive vice-president deals with the crisis with the help of retired General Patrick McLanahan.

Dale Brown keeps one foot in the present and his head and the other foot in the near future. He projects current events into the near future with often painful clarity. His stories a
David S.
This was my first encounter with Dale Brown. I picked up an audio copy and was rather intrigued with the plot, and characters, and with the techno jargon that seemed normal - if that is at all possible. Sort of reminded me of vintage Tom Clancy. Not stupendous, but enough to get me to purchase his very first book FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG. (Which I am almost finished, and it is incredible...just wish I had read that book 25 years ago)

EXECUTIVE INTENT is the 16th book involving Patrick MacLanahan. It
Elyse
A little disappointed in this book by Dale Brown. Seems like his characters didn't learn anything from what I took to be the geopolitical and military point of "Rogue Forces?"

What I liked about this book:
** Geopolitical tensions between the powers of China, Russia, and the US. At last, a book that isn't just about Islamic extremists!

What I disliked about this book:
** Pages and pages of descriptions of weapons, cockpit technologies, and more. For me, it was too much detail and I couldn't follow i
Ashley Dawn
Oct 12, 2011 Ashley Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New President, Joseph Gardner, knows the way he wants to strengthen and maintain America’s dominant presence in the world. It takes an increase in aircraft carriers. This leaves the budget too tight to pursue any space weapons systems and some countries are noticing America’s vulnerabilities.
When two power hungry counties, China and Russia, join forces against the US after an incident, much quick decision making has to be done. The fundamental differences in the President and the Vice President
Ashley Dawn
Jul 20, 2011 Ashley Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Executive Intent” by Dale Brown:

Jerome
Jun 22, 2012 Jerome rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I pick up Dale Brown novels with a few expectations: The plot will be thick, the character development narrow and the dialog wooden. I do not seek great writing. I seek a fast tale, heroic exploits and a TV ending. His novels travel a well worn path: Crazed hawks take control in Russia, China, Iran or any other likely or just-possible antagonist. A small band of U.S. patriots in possession of unique foresight and technology stand in the way. But they must risk lives and careers in the face of ap ...more
Scott
Oct 01, 2013 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book seemed like a good story. When it was all said and done, it was an okay story, but it was completely hindered by his terrible writing style. This guy is so in love with his superior knowledge. He is constantly giving every single detail about every complex piece of technology, just so you know that he knows. He can't just say a guy picked up his gun. He has to say the guy picked up his SigSauer Model whatever with dual slide action, re-bored kanuter valve, and polished c ...more
Bayneeta
Dec 30, 2011 Bayneeta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, suspense, audio
Techno-Thriller. Just not my thing. Hawks want to increase spending on space stations that can not only observe what our enemies are up to but can shoot long distance weaponry and destroy enemies long distance. When the book started with four pages of characters, 3 1/2 pages of weapons, 4 1/2 pages of acronymns and terminology and a half a dozen pages of news articles about Russia and China and the US and their ongoing battles to win the space race, I knew I was in trouble. I made it to page thr ...more
Wayne
Apr 02, 2014 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is solid military thriller, with emphasis on space, rocketry, and high tech. I felt, again with this author's work, that I was jumping into the middle of a series, but as I don't plan to pursue more in said series, it is a moot point. If you like military, action, thrillers, and this author in particular, then I recommend the book. In this particular case, the reader did not help the book for me.
Clyn
Oct 23, 2015 Clyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book did a great job of getting me emotionally pulled into the story. I found myself irritated at the events that were unfolding and the responses that American leaders took. Ultimately, I felt things were resolved satisfactorily, but I wish more of the book felt like we were dishing it out instead of on the receiving end.
Michael crage
Sep 09, 2015 Michael crage rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There might be some interesting parts in the book, but if there were, they weren't in the first quarter of the book. I finally gave up on the book after that and quit reading. I had just woken up after a 12 hour sleep and it was putting me back to sleep.
Gregory S. Bates
Yea, another good one.

Don't have any idea what happened to page 221, but the proof reading must have been hit by Kindle. It's a great story,that moves right along without the comic book flare of many.
Donald
I've read several Dale Brown books and enjoyed most of them - but not this one. Brown's books are usually military action thrillers but Executive Intent reads like the background material for another book yet to be written.
Ryan Blanck
Really good book. The style of Tom Clancy, W.E.B. Griffin, Clive Cussler, and Stephen Coonts. Executive Intent is an good political/military thriller novel but my good issues from this book are the space station, terrorists, weapons with defense missiles, and war. I borrowed this book from the library but it's a good read.
David
Jul 28, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Dale Brown read, but it was won't be my last. Executive Intent is a tight, gripping read that grabs you and holds you to the last page.
Martin
Dec 31, 2014 Martin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book started out well built up a good story, then was let down by a rather abrupt ending. I kept expecting there to be a part 2.
Selma de Oliveira
This is the first book I read from Dale Brown. It is in overall a good book with a sort of too peaceful end.
It took me a while to read it because I couldn't find a connection which came when I realized how lethargic President Gardner was. At least the VP was able to demonstrate authority. I noticed that the characters were developed slower than other books of these genre. Throughout the story was at times similar to an extensive report with too many tech details and initials. It became a little
Ben Rand
Uggh, all the setup and then a completely rushed ending.
Brett Tompkins
A lot of this book was just really boring. The last 140 pages were kind of exciting, but nothing close to what I've come to expect with a Dale Brown thriller. Sort of an abrupt ending.
Andrea
Aug 26, 2010 Andrea rated it it was ok
I'm always reluctant to read the flyleaves of these types of books too closely, because they often give away the entire plot, but I wish I'd paid enough attention to this one to realize it was going to be completely focused on all things military and just about nothing political. As a Navy mom, I was more than a little put off by the rah-rah Air Force plot and the author's disdain for the Navy. And for all its military heft, the plot seriously dragged at many points.
Skip
Apr 01, 2012 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, e-books
China is intent on regaining its place on the stage of world super powers and engineers a series of attacks on the U.S. space stations and defense systems, including invasions of Somalia and Yemen. When McLanahan's girlfriend's plane is attacked, he launches his own counteroffensive because the U.S. president is too weak to do so on his own. Very farfetched.
Kathleen
The characters in this book are so broad ranging that I had a difficult time connecting to them or really caring about any of them. It is an interesting plot, but it took me about 200 pages to "get into" the story. Untimately, it was worth the time, but this is not an author I will pick up again anytime soon.
Zach Lorber
Interesting premise. Started okay and then quickly picked up and took on a movie like quality. Easy to visualize what was happening and then it fell off a cliff. The entire story wrapped in less than 5 pages. Disappointing enough I probably wont read more.This was my first Dale Brown book and likely my last.
Joe Bailey
High on the techno-speak, low on character development and reasonable scenarios.
Carol Ann
Sep 22, 2010 Carol Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Geez Dale, this books (as far as I read) reads like a hand book for fighter pilots. The closest I have come to this reality is knowing there may be an air marshall on my flight. Try to stick to fiction. I'll read this when it is accommpanied by Executive Intent for Dummies!
  • The Disciple (Tommy Carmellini #4)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • The Enemy Within
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of eleven consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997) ...more
More about Dale Brown...

Patrick McLanahan (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)
  • Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)