Start by marking “Executive Intent (Patrick McLanahan, #16)” as Want to Read:
Executive Intent (Patrick McLanahan, #16)

Executive Intent (Patrick McLanahan #16)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  740 ratings  ·  53 reviews
The deadliest strike will come from outer space

When America develops the most powerful defense system in history, will it be used to protect the nation—or will it be used to force universal domination? This question must be answered in the stillness of outer space and the corridors of the White House.

The United States has just unleashed the most powerful weapon in history—
Published May 11th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Executive Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Executive Intent

Kevin
I began this book thinking that it would be a generic techno-thriller involving some conflict between China, Russia, and the US. It would have some high tech battles, some victories by either side, and a resolution that wouldn't be unrealistic. Turns out, nope.

Essentially the book was a piece of Air Force/NASA propaganda. Almost every other branch of the US military was marginalized or belittled in favor of the Air Force. Without spoiling anything, I can say that this book has some of the best A
David Campton
One of the characters accuses another of spending too much time reading cheesy techno-thrillers. I spent too much time reading this cheesy techno-thriller. The scene suggests that the author is at least self-aware as he churns out this jargon-laden nonsense. I haven't read any of his previous books in this series, but it seems to offer an alternate contemporary America where, if the lily-livered President won't do what is necessary to defend American interests then an NGO completely unlike Save ...more
William Bentrim
Executive Intent by Dale Brown

I’ve missed a couple of Dale Brown’s thrillers. This takes place a few years after Tin Man. An insipid president is faced with multiple international incidents and reacts with timidity. An assertive vice-president deals with the crisis with the help of retired General Patrick McLanahan.

Dale Brown keeps one foot in the present and his head and the other foot in the near future. He projects current events into the near future with often painful clarity. His stories a
David S.
This was my first encounter with Dale Brown. I picked up an audio copy and was rather intrigued with the plot, and characters, and with the techno jargon that seemed normal - if that is at all possible. Sort of reminded me of vintage Tom Clancy. Not stupendous, but enough to get me to purchase his very first book FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG. (Which I am almost finished, and it is incredible...just wish I had read that book 25 years ago)

EXECUTIVE INTENT is the 16th book involving Patrick MacLanahan. It
Elyse
A little disappointed in this book by Dale Brown. Seems like his characters didn't learn anything from what I took to be the geopolitical and military point of "Rogue Forces?"

What I liked about this book:
** Geopolitical tensions between the powers of China, Russia, and the US. At last, a book that isn't just about Islamic extremists!

What I disliked about this book:
** Pages and pages of descriptions of weapons, cockpit technologies, and more. For me, it was too much detail and I couldn't follow i
Ashley Dawn
New President, Joseph Gardner, knows the way he wants to strengthen and maintain America’s dominant presence in the world. It takes an increase in aircraft carriers. This leaves the budget too tight to pursue any space weapons systems and some countries are noticing America’s vulnerabilities.
When two power hungry counties, China and Russia, join forces against the US after an incident, much quick decision making has to be done. The fundamental differences in the President and the Vice President
Ashley Dawn
“Executive Intent” by Dale Brown:

Jerome
I pick up Dale Brown novels with a few expectations: The plot will be thick, the character development narrow and the dialog wooden. I do not seek great writing. I seek a fast tale, heroic exploits and a TV ending. His novels travel a well worn path: Crazed hawks take control in Russia, China, Iran or any other likely or just-possible antagonist. A small band of U.S. patriots in possession of unique foresight and technology stand in the way. But they must risk lives and careers in the face of ap ...more
Scott
The premise of this book seemed like a good story. When it was all said and done, it was an okay story, but it was completely hindered by his terrible writing style. This guy is so in love with his superior knowledge. He is constantly giving every single detail about every complex piece of technology, just so you know that he knows. He can't just say a guy picked up his gun. He has to say the guy picked up his SigSauer Model whatever with dual slide action, re-bored kanuter valve, and polished c ...more
Bayneeta
Techno-Thriller. Just not my thing. Hawks want to increase spending on space stations that can not only observe what our enemies are up to but can shoot long distance weaponry and destroy enemies long distance. When the book started with four pages of characters, 3 1/2 pages of weapons, 4 1/2 pages of acronymns and terminology and a half a dozen pages of news articles about Russia and China and the US and their ongoing battles to win the space race, I knew I was in trouble. I made it to page thr ...more
Wayne
This is solid military thriller, with emphasis on space, rocketry, and high tech. I felt, again with this author's work, that I was jumping into the middle of a series, but as I don't plan to pursue more in said series, it is a moot point. If you like military, action, thrillers, and this author in particular, then I recommend the book. In this particular case, the reader did not help the book for me.
Ryan Blanck
Really good book. The style of Tom Clancy, W.E.B. Griffin, Clive Cussler, and Stephen Coonts. Executive Intent is an good political/military thriller novel but my good issues from this book are the space station, terrorists, weapons with defense missiles, and war. I borrowed this book from the library but it's a good read.
David
This was my first Dale Brown read, but it was won't be my last. Executive Intent is a tight, gripping read that grabs you and holds you to the last page.
Selma de Oliveira
This is the first book I read from Dale Brown. It is in overall a good book with a sort of too peaceful end.
It took me a while to read it because I couldn't find a connection which came when I realized how lethargic President Gardner was. At least the VP was able to demonstrate authority. I noticed that the characters were developed slower than other books of these genre. Throughout the story was at times similar to an extensive report with too many tech details and initials. It became a little
Andrea
I'm always reluctant to read the flyleaves of these types of books too closely, because they often give away the entire plot, but I wish I'd paid enough attention to this one to realize it was going to be completely focused on all things military and just about nothing political. As a Navy mom, I was more than a little put off by the rah-rah Air Force plot and the author's disdain for the Navy. And for all its military heft, the plot seriously dragged at many points.
Skip
China is intent on regaining its place on the stage of world super powers and engineers a series of attacks on the U.S. space stations and defense systems, including invasions of Somalia and Yemen. When McLanahan's girlfriend's plane is attacked, he launches his own counteroffensive because the U.S. president is too weak to do so on his own. Very farfetched.
Kathleen
The characters in this book are so broad ranging that I had a difficult time connecting to them or really caring about any of them. It is an interesting plot, but it took me about 200 pages to "get into" the story. Untimately, it was worth the time, but this is not an author I will pick up again anytime soon.
Zach Lorber
Interesting premise. Started okay and then quickly picked up and took on a movie like quality. Easy to visualize what was happening and then it fell off a cliff. The entire story wrapped in less than 5 pages. Disappointing enough I probably wont read more.This was my first Dale Brown book and likely my last.
Carol Ann
Geez Dale, this books (as far as I read) reads like a hand book for fighter pilots. The closest I have come to this reality is knowing there may be an air marshall on my flight. Try to stick to fiction. I'll read this when it is accommpanied by Executive Intent for Dummies!
Sheila
May 12, 2013 Sheila rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Sheila by: myself
Shelves: abandoned-books
If you like military books this may be your kind of book. I stopped reading at 300 pages as it was not getting any better. I lost interest at 50 pages but thought would get better so I continued but had to stop. I like Dale Brown books but this one is not for me.
Mark
The McLanahan story continues...the "can do" military types faced by a timid and insipid President and his administration...this groups faces this quite a bit in their recent stories...this one deals with space-based weapons and the ensuing geopolitical drama...OK!!!
Simon
Good read for a break, but do not expect balanced picture of US-rest of the world international relations, as this one is heavily biased towards "We, the Americans, are always good and all the others are not". But then, reading was fun, if you lower your expectations.
Bill
The McLanahan saga goes on.. resolving several issues but opening new stuff to be resolved in the next book. However, things seem to be slowing down a bit - this one was not quite the "can't put it down" thriller which past adventures have been.
Chris Hubbs
Ah, Dale Brown. Another cookie cutter plot, with ineffective politicians who despise the military techno-gear until it's too late. If the technology and the political scenarios weren't so interesting, I'd have given up on you by now. As it is... Three stars.
Kelly Such
This book was technical and at times went over my head. I liked the second half of the book better than the first half. Overall I felt that president Gardner was constantly making excuses and would through his teams under the bus and not have there back.
Mark
As always, Brown previews much of the world's geopolitical tensions as well as today's and the futures military technology...the continuing saga of America's cutting edge and the insipid politcal atmosphere that our brave forces must also confront
Amy Mcsharry
Just started... tons of jargon! I hope it gets better!

Unfortunately, it did not. Not very good, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a crazy missile/NASA nut who wants to know all the technical details about everything.
Larry
Outstanding book by Dale Brown. I have read almost all of his books and I love LT. General Patrick McLanahan. Great story with a very good ending. President Gardner in this story is a LOOSER.
Alex
FIrst few chapters are very technical with lots of equipment specs and military jargon, but it gets good and becomes a page turner. Cool sci-fi set in present time.
  • The Disciple (Tommy Carmellini, #4)
  • Day of Wrath
  • The Delta Solution (Mack Bedford, #3)
  • The Widow's Strike (Pike Logan, #4)
  • Tidal Rip (Jeffrey Fuller, #4)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of eleven consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997) ...more
More about Dale Brown...
Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1) Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4) The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7) Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3) Hammer Heads