Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide

Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Your backyard can be the source of the best eggs and meat you've ever tasted. The answer is chickens--endearing birds that require but a modest outlay of time, space and food.

As they learned to raise chickens, Gail and Rick Luttmann came to realize the need for a comprehensive but clear and nontechnical guide. Their book covers all the basics in a light and entertaining sy...more
Published September 15th 1976 by Rodale Books (first published 1976)

Caroline
Since we bought our home, I've been very interested in keeping a few chickens for eggs, garden fertilization, and general cuteness. I think ruffled featherbutts are so cute!

This is the first of a few books I've acquired to school myself in the art of raising chickens and I've found it to be quite informative and accessible. For instance, did you know that eggs shoot out of the same chickenhole that the droppings come out of? And that they're enveloped in a fancy damp membrane that dries almost...more
Ellen Bell
Chickens In Your Backyard was a really nice, humorous introduction to keeping chickens. It covered many different aspects of chickens that I haven't found in other beginner's books, such as hatching your own eggs in an incubator (a tricky process!). I appreciated the chapters on keeping birds for meat, and the details of how to butcher a chicken at home. Some other books I've read shy away from this topic, as if the only reason to keep backyard chickens is for the eggs.
Stephanie
Feb 15, 2011 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beginners that know nothing about chickens other than they want some for eggs or meat.
Shelves: outdoor-books
I guess for a beginners book this was ok - but it left me wanting more. I wanted more in depth information on just about every topic it brought up. If you knew absolutely nothing, about chickens other than you want some for eggs or meat, this would be a good place for you to start.

I think since I raised chickens as a kid I already knew most of this stuff.

I was good enough to get one safely started with a small flock of chickens though...
Katy
Jul 18, 2008 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any level of chicken farmer
This is my bible on learning how to do the chicken thing. It explains things in the most basic terms which is just what we needed. It's very realistic for all levels of chicken farmers! So far we haven't lost one and we raised them from baby chicks! (Knock on wood!!) We will butcher most of the roosters at the end of the month and will have fresh eggs hopefully later on this fall. It's really been quite fun!
Wendy
This was a great book. It was easy to understand and a quick read. It gave me a good overall understanding of what would be involved in raising chickens. It gives pros and cons of raising from eggs, chicks, or getting full grown birds. Evey aspect is briefly touched on. I will need a more in depth book but now I know chickens are for me.
Mace
if you ever decide to take a spin on the poultry wild side, this is a great beginners book to get you started , how to raise and care for your chickens.Make sure to include Aracauna hens in your flock, I just love the green- blue eggs for breakfast...Also, bantam Silkie and bantam cochins are terrific as pets.
Christina
This is a great guide for people (like me) that are just getting started with chickens. I skipped the chapters I wasn't interested in or that didn't apply to me, and found the other information very helpful.

I like the friendly, conversational style of writing. The Luttmanns feel like neighbors giving tips.
Christine
A great "starter" book--like sitting down with the chatty neighborhood chicken-keeping expert. Covered some stuff I've been wondering, like "what about dogs?" and "will they eat up my entire garden?" A good one to take out from the library, but not the definitive chicken source.
Abby
A great book for starters, though for a Rodale publication I expected more on natural apporaches to health. The authors advocated medicines/vaccines and I know most in my shoes would rather not use these, if possible. A fast read-piqueing interest in more in depth publications.
Granted, this book isn't for everyone. But if you, like me, find yourself early one spring with 4 baby chicks living in cardboard box under a heat lamp in your dining room and you realize you have no idea what to do next, well then, this is the book for you.
Abigail Rasmussen
This book is the book I highly recommend if you interested in raising chickens. It is the first we read before we got chickens and have referred back to it many times.

It is an easy read and not only educational but also very entertaining.
Meryl
This is one of the best books I've read on backyard chicken keeping so far. The only think that would make it better would be a detailed coop plan, but other than that it's perfect for the level of chicken-keeping I want--i.e. 4 birds, not 40.
Felicia A
Don't know if my neighbors would be happy with me having chickens in my backyard...I live in the city, and the backyards are close together. But this book is all encompassing and very informative should I ever decide to do it.
Jeneva
This book is great for beginners (like me). I am young and this was soo helpful. I absolutely love my chickens. I lost one to a crow last Tuseday though. R.I.P Perrie.
Danielle Smith
After reading 25 pages, it was very apparent to me that I cannot raise chickens right now in my life. Too much work! This book is very well written, however.
Spencer
A bit outdated but cute. I enjoyed the frank explanations.
Braine
I added another star for this one, as I keep coming back to it NOW THAT I HAVE CHICKENS in my BACKYARD. And so far, everything it tells me is right.
Tamara
Very good. It's a very thorough book and answered most of my questions. I'm still trying to decide if I want to jump in and try it. :)
Sherrie Prentice
This book had very good content. I gave it a three because it is not very visually appealing. Straight text is very boring.
Kathleen Diermier
after having chickens in the backyard- animated yard art- I figured I'd better read how to take care of them.
Leah
This book was very informative. Definitely a must own if I ever do start having chickens in the backyard.
Emily
good info, but some of it is out of date. better to get a new book with the same good info up to date
Arne
Good start-off point for anyone who may want to do this. Includes references to other resources.
Trish
A good guide which helped me realize that chickens are too much for me right now!
Dkmaude
Anything and everything you always wanted to know about keeping chickens...
Alison Hayden
Excellent real-life tips for wannabe chicken adopters!
Carol
Good basic information about raising chickens.
Barbara
Good basic information on starting a flock.
Jason
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Ducks & Geese In Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide Chickens in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide