Start by marking “Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide” as Want to Read:
Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide

Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  212 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Your backyard can be the source of the best eggs and meat you've ever tasted. The answer is chickens--endearing birds that require but a modest outlay of time, space and food.

As they learned to raise chickens, Gail and Rick Luttmann came to realize the need for a comprehensive but clear and nontechnical guide. Their book covers all the basics in a light and entertaining sy
Published September 15th 1976 by Rodale Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Chickens In Your Backyard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chickens In Your Backyard

Caroline
Jan 04, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it
Since we bought our home, I've been very interested in keeping a few chickens for eggs, garden fertilization, and general cuteness. I think ruffled featherbutts are so cute!

This is the first of a few books I've acquired to school myself in the art of raising chickens and I've found it to be quite informative and accessible. For instance, did you know that eggs shoot out of the same chickenhole that the droppings come out of? And that they're enveloped in a fancy damp membrane that dries almost
Ellen Bell
Apr 27, 2014 Ellen Bell rated it really liked it
Chickens In Your Backyard was a really nice, humorous introduction to keeping chickens. It covered many different aspects of chickens that I haven't found in other beginner's books, such as hatching your own eggs in an incubator (a tricky process!). I appreciated the chapters on keeping birds for meat, and the details of how to butcher a chicken at home. Some other books I've read shy away from this topic, as if the only reason to keep backyard chickens is for the eggs.
Nicole Nikki
Aug 21, 2015 Nicole Nikki rated it really liked it
This was the only book about taking care of chickens I could find at my library. It answered all of my questions I had. Adding oyster shells to their diet was a great suggestion. I also learned how to keep my chickens cool in this hot weather. This book covers the basics. It was helpful.
Stephanie
Feb 15, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Beginners that know nothing about chickens other than they want some for eggs or meat.
Shelves: outdoor-books
I guess for a beginners book this was ok - but it left me wanting more. I wanted more in depth information on just about every topic it brought up. If you knew absolutely nothing, about chickens other than you want some for eggs or meat, this would be a good place for you to start.

I think since I raised chickens as a kid I already knew most of this stuff.

I was good enough to get one safely started with a small flock of chickens though...
Megalion
Apr 01, 2016 Megalion rated it it was amazing
Good introductory book. Written from the perspective of a couple who have raised them for eating, laying, entertainment.

Information is well organized and cross referenced. Lots of hand drawings that were useful to illustrate what was being described.

The organization allowed me to skip the chapters I didn't care about (show birds and butchering) because I'm keeping chickens only for weed eating and entertainment/pets.
Katy
Jul 18, 2008 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any level of chicken farmer
This is my bible on learning how to do the chicken thing. It explains things in the most basic terms which is just what we needed. It's very realistic for all levels of chicken farmers! So far we haven't lost one and we raised them from baby chicks! (Knock on wood!!) We will butcher most of the roosters at the end of the month and will have fresh eggs hopefully later on this fall. It's really been quite fun!
Kitten Kisser
Jan 11, 2015 Kitten Kisser rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This little paper back book is full of useful information. We checked it out from the library so many times it started to fall apart. I figured if we are reading & needing it that much, it's time to buy the thing! It gives you information on raising chickens, culling, & housing. It is easy to read and understand. This book is a must read for any chicken beginner.
Wendy
Apr 26, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. It was easy to understand and a quick read. It gave me a good overall understanding of what would be involved in raising chickens. It gives pros and cons of raising from eggs, chicks, or getting full grown birds. Evey aspect is briefly touched on. I will need a more in depth book but now I know chickens are for me.
Mace
Mar 20, 2008 Mace rated it it was amazing
if you ever decide to take a spin on the poultry wild side, this is a great beginners book to get you started , how to raise and care for your chickens.Make sure to include Aracauna hens in your flock, I just love the green- blue eggs for breakfast...Also, bantam Silkie and bantam cochins are terrific as pets.
Christina
Aug 02, 2010 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction-home
This is a great guide for people (like me) that are just getting started with chickens. I skipped the chapters I wasn't interested in or that didn't apply to me, and found the other information very helpful.

I like the friendly, conversational style of writing. The Luttmanns feel like neighbors giving tips.
Christine
Oct 01, 2009 Christine rated it liked it
A great "starter" book--like sitting down with the chatty neighborhood chicken-keeping expert. Covered some stuff I've been wondering, like "what about dogs?" and "will they eat up my entire garden?" A good one to take out from the library, but not the definitive chicken source.
Abby
Sep 10, 2008 Abby rated it it was amazing
A great book for starters, though for a Rodale publication I expected more on natural apporaches to health. The authors advocated medicines/vaccines and I know most in my shoes would rather not use these, if possible. A fast read-piqueing interest in more in depth publications.
Apr 23, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Granted, this book isn't for everyone. But if you, like me, find yourself early one spring with 4 baby chicks living in cardboard box under a heat lamp in your dining room and you realize you have no idea what to do next, well then, this is the book for you.
Abigail Rasmussen
Mar 02, 2012 Abigail Rasmussen rated it it was amazing
This book is the book I highly recommend if you interested in raising chickens. It is the first we read before we got chickens and have referred back to it many times.

It is an easy read and not only educational but also very entertaining.
Meryl
Jan 25, 2010 Meryl rated it really liked it
This is one of the best books I've read on backyard chicken keeping so far. The only think that would make it better would be a detailed coop plan, but other than that it's perfect for the level of chicken-keeping I want--i.e. 4 birds, not 40.
Felicia A
May 25, 2009 Felicia A rated it really liked it
Shelves: earth-friendly
Don't know if my neighbors would be happy with me having chickens in my backyard...I live in the city, and the backyards are close together. But this book is all encompassing and very informative should I ever decide to do it.
Danielle Smith
Jan 25, 2013 Danielle Smith rated it really liked it
After reading 25 pages, it was very apparent to me that I cannot raise chickens right now in my life. Too much work! This book is very well written, however.
Spencer
Dec 28, 2013 Spencer rated it really liked it
Shelves: chickens
A bit outdated but cute. I enjoyed the frank explanations.
Bill Braine
Nov 19, 2010 Bill Braine rated it really liked it
I added another star for this one, as I keep coming back to it NOW THAT I HAVE CHICKENS in my BACKYARD. And so far, everything it tells me is right.
Christine
Oct 13, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Tamara
Apr 22, 2011 Tamara rated it really liked it
Very good. It's a very thorough book and answered most of my questions. I'm still trying to decide if I want to jump in and try it. :)
Sherrie
Dec 12, 2008 Sherrie rated it liked it
This book had very good content. I gave it a three because it is not very visually appealing. Straight text is very boring.
Kathleen Diermier
Feb 17, 2009 Kathleen Diermier rated it liked it
after having chickens in the backyard- animated yard art- I figured I'd better read how to take care of them.
Leah
May 10, 2011 Leah rated it it was amazing
This book was very informative. Definitely a must own if I ever do start having chickens in the backyard.
Emily
Sep 11, 2008 Emily rated it it was ok
good info, but some of it is out of date. better to get a new book with the same good info up to date
Arne
Dec 02, 2008 Arne rated it it was amazing
Good start-off point for anyone who may want to do this. Includes references to other resources.
Trish
Jun 27, 2009 Trish rated it liked it
A good guide which helped me realize that chickens are too much for me right now!
Dkmaude
Sep 17, 2008 Dkmaude rated it really liked it
Anything and everything you always wanted to know about keeping chickens...
Alison Hayden
Apr 25, 2009 Alison Hayden rated it really liked it
Excellent real-life tips for wannabe chicken adopters!
Carol
Jun 06, 2009 Carol rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good basic information about raising chickens.
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Chicken Coops: 45 Building Ideas for Housing Your Flock
  • Chicken Tractor: The Permaculture Guide to Happy Hens and Healthy Soil
  • Keeping Chickens with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Care for a Happy, Healthy Flock
  • Living with Chickens: Everything You Need to Know to Raise Your Own Backyard Flock
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • The Essential Urban Farmer
  • Backyard Orchardist: A Complete Guide to Growing Fruit Trees in the Home Garden
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Keeping Chickens: The Essential Guide to Enjoying and Getting the Best from Chickens
  • Hen and the Art of Chicken Maintenance: Reflections on Raising Chickens
  • The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden
  • Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture
  • Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life
  • City Chicks: Keeping Micro-Flocks of Laying Hens as Garden Helpers, Compost Makers, Bio-Recyclers and Local Food Suppliers
  • The Solar House: Passive Solar Heating and Cooling