Start by marking “Punto y Linea Sobre El Plano” as Want to Read:
Punto y Linea Sobre El Plano

Punto y Linea Sobre El Plano

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  534 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In this famous work by a pioneer in the movement to free art from the bonds of tradition — a work long considered essential to understanding the evolution of 20th-century art — Kandinsky explores the role of the line, point, and other key elements of non-objective painting. 127 illustrations.
Published October 28th 2003 by Ediciones Paidos Iberica (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about Punto y Linea Sobre El Plano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punto y Linea Sobre El Plano

Nina J. Kors
Ho provato a leggere questo libro parecchie volte: Kandinsky mi piaceva tantissimo e il titolo è intrigante.
Poi, a sfogliare le pagine, si trovano tanti disegni: triangoli, linee, scarabocchi.

Una sorta di testo di grafica pubblicato originariamente nel 1926 (casa editrice diretta da Walter Gropius e Ladislaus Moholy-Nagy, capisci...)

Forse si prende il mano il libro con il desiderio di scoprire i segreti della pittura e della creatività di Vassily Kandinsky.
Però non sono mai riuscita a leggerlo.
M
Matthew Conroy
Nov 14, 2010 Matthew Conroy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rebekah
Mar 12, 2008 Rebekah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rebekah by: Cisco
we disagree, kandinsky and i. but with arguing, how much better to have something direct and strong to argue against.

there are also several worthwhile illustrations of ships and very generous margins for marking in.

Anna
Jul 20, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was the best introduction to the depth of abstract art.
Sharon R.
I really struggled to grind through this. Kandinsky is one of my favorite artists, and I'm fascinated by his pivitol role in the transition he made from representational to abstract art. That said, the book is a real slog through an early attempt to create a language and system for creating abstract art. At least to me it was mostly impenetrable.
There are some good parts - when he compares abstract art to music. Lots of music is abstract. No one says, "I just don't get it," when they hear a wor
Ed Smiley
Read alongside Abstraction in Art and Nature. These two books take diametrically opposite, and supplementary approaches.
Point and Line to Plane is primarily a priori and Abstraction in Art and Nature a posteriori. They benefit from being read together.

Unlike Abstraction in Art and Nature , this derives formal relationship through a quasi-axiomatic method, using the most elementary visual primitives. Kandinsky attempts to derive and relate intuitive and emotional responses to these forms. He gen
Matt
Aug 08, 2012 Matt is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book reads like Kandinsky is on drugs. Don't get me wrong, I love his writings on religion, painting, and interdisciplinary arts. But in this particular book he waxes on about dots and lines. Despite his stretching the concepts of dots and lines, there is a certain amount of truth in it.

If you'd to hear an eccentric Russian talk about dots and lines, this is the book for you. Here's a taste with just one paragraph (of hundreds) with Kandinsky talking about dots.
"The point's external conce
Elizabeth Goldring
This might sound weird but I found this book not only amazing for learning but incredibly entertaining as well. I tried to imagine various case scenario for the context in which it was written because it sounded vibrant at times and incredibly fun.
Carlos Mendez
Dec 05, 2011 Carlos Mendez rated it it was ok
Qué puedo decir, Kandinsky definitivamente no es escritor. No entendí muchas cosas, no entendí muchas palabras que decía en el libro.. pero no porque usara tecnicismos que solo pintores o artistas pudieran entender, sino porque usaba metáforas. No sé si con estas metáforas esperaba que ayudaran a las personas a comprender mejor, porque no fue mi caso, o será que simplemente yo no tengo imaginación.
A veces sentía que su intención era de que no esperaba que lo comprendiéramos totalmente. No explic
Robert Morris
Jul 31, 2015 Robert Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about colour, form and line like no other. A must for artists by my reckoning.
Jaza
Jul 15, 2011 Jaza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book came to me by a recommendation. The person that gave it to me thought that it would help me with my photo essay. It did, a lot, but it wasn't the kind of book that I use to read, so it took me a long time to finish it.
Natalie
A difficult read, but a very interesting idea is developed. Kandinsky attempts to codify artistic composition scientifically.
Van Derek
Apr 23, 2013 Van Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind blowing, occult view of creativity! Changed the way I view the world.
Maja
Mar 15, 2015 Maja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-of-art
Kandinsky's books are like his paintings - abstract for me.
Katya
Jul 27, 2012 Katya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely changed my point of view on abstractionism!
Pepe Palacios
Oct 11, 2007 Pepe Palacios rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: architects
A guide line for fine composition
Íris Hadda
Mindblowing and fantastic
Maxsemakov
The best of ....
Dominika
Nov 18, 2013 Dominika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful!
John.Kiehlsoundtrackny.Com
John.Kiehlsoundtrackny.Com rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2016
Mishad Orlandini
Mishad Orlandini is currently reading it
doom-of-zeus
doom-of-zeus marked it as to-read
Héctor
Héctor marked it as to-read
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Mateo Marcano
Mateo Marcano is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2016
Diogo
Diogo marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Succexxyy
Succexxyy rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
  • This is Warhol
  • The Power of Limits: Proportional Harmonies in Nature, Art, and Architecture
  • Movements in Art since 1945: Issues and Concepts
  • Lessons for Students in Architecture
  • 101 Things to Learn in Art School
  • On Modern Art
  • Kandinsky
  • Principles of Art History: The Problem of the Development of Style in Later Art
  • الفن
  • Joan Miro: 1893-1983
  • The Elements of Drawing
  • Wassily Kandinsky: 1866-1944 a Revolution in Painting
  • The Classical Language of Architecture
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form (500 Series)
  • On n'y voit rien : descriptions
  • Non-Adhesive Binding: Books Without Paste or Glue
  • Magritte
  • The Reign of Quantity and the Signs of the Times
Wassily Wassilyevich Kandinsky was a Russian painter, and Art theorist. He is credited with painting the first modern abstract works.
Born in Moscow, Kandinsky spent his childhood in Odessa. He enrolled at the University of Moscow and chose to study law and economics. Quite successful in his profession—he was offered a professorship (chair of Roman Law) at the University of Dorpat—he started painti
More about Wassily Kandinsky...

“Thus we look upon the geometric point as the ultimate and most singular union of silence and speech.” 0 likes