Start by marking “War Torn: Stories of War from the Women Reporters who Covered Vietnam” as Want to Read:
War Torn: Stories of War from the Women Reporters who Covered Vietnam

War Torn: Stories of War from the Women Reporters who Covered Vietnam

For the first time, nine women who made journalism history talk candidly about their professional and deeply personal experiences as young reporters who lived, worked, and loved surrounded by war. Their stories span a decade of America’s involvement in Vietnam, from the earliest days of the conflict until the last U.S. helicopters left Saigon in 1975.

They were gutsy risk-
Published August 20th 2002 by Random House (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about War Torn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Torn

Catherine
Apr 15, 2011 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I don't think I could have written Yesterday's Tomorrow without reading this book. Before I read War Torn, I had very little idea what it must have been like for a female journalist in Vietnam. Each of the stories within this amazing book hold profound truths that will sink deep into your soul and not let go. I'm profoundly indebted to these courageous women for sharing their stories with the world. I was educated, inspired and changed by their experiences. For anyone with any interest in ...more
Nancy Kennedy
May 19, 2014 Nancy Kennedy rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of ten first-person essays from women who worked as correspondents during the Vietnam War. Their tenures range from the beginning years of the war to the fall of Saigon and release of POWs. Some women were seasoned journalists before gaining their assignments (and most had to wrest their jobs from editors reluctant to send women to war) while others learned their craft on the ground.

Through these essays, you'll experience the war in ways you probably could not from male
Ardene
Oct 14, 2010 Ardene rated it really liked it
It’s only in the last few years that I’ve begun to actually read a few books that discuss the war in Vietnam, but not in any systematic fashion. I read War Torn: Stories of war from the women who reported them based on a recommendation and it was a fascinating and satisfying read. Each chapter is a narrative by a different woman who reported on Vietnam from in country, so a variety of perspectives are represented.

What struck me about these narratives was how at one and the same time these women
Phyllis
Apr 14, 2013 Phyllis rated it really liked it
Each personal essay in this book brought me back to the sixties and early seventies when the Vietnam War was raging and the US was caught up in it unable to move forward; the country was polarized and not communicating except in rhetoric and stereotypes: politician against citizen; soldier against civilian; hawk against dove; student against elder; and hippie against worker. These women reporters went to Vietnam to report the facts as best they could, despite the common view that women should ...more
Elizabeth Evans
Sep 13, 2007 Elizabeth Evans rated it it was amazing
When we were living in Manila in the 70's, my family was good friends with a UPI correspondent, Leon Daniel, who was a phenomenal journalist during the Vietnam War. He regaled us with stories from the front, as well as his banishment from Thailand as "persona non grata". His wife became a very close friend of my mom. At one point, one of the women in this book, Kate Webb, was living in Manila as well. She was at our house many times (my parents entertained a lot!) It was fascinating to read of ...more
Kevin Kormylo
Jul 16, 2009 Kevin Kormylo rated it it was amazing
This is the book I have always been looking for about the Vietnam War. Short on details about military moves and political power struggles it rather depicts the surreal, haunting, grinding and sometimes romantic landscape that was Saigon and Southeast Asia during the war. Some of these stories are just being told by women journalists after 35 years of silence. Reading this book makes me visualize war scenes more vivid then anything in Apocalypse Now (like the Zippo brigade burning all hay stacks ...more
Anna
Jul 31, 2007 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the history of Vietnam
A collection of memoirs and accounts of the Vietnam War by female reporters. While on holiday in Vietnam last September we met one of the authors Denby Fawcett, who is now in her 60's and was on holiday there (she's the one on the front of the book). I read it mainly because it was by her and I was intrigued to find out more about her time and experiences there. It was very informative book with some touching moments and gave me some understanding of the horrors of the things that happened there ...more
Kim
Mar 08, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: war, memoirs
One of two books I read during a summer vacation at the beach (the other was "Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam"). I enjoyed this book because most books about war are told from the male point of view. As a woman and a reporter, it gave me a different understanding of Vietnam. Very compelling read.
Katy Brandes
Aug 09, 2011 Katy Brandes rated it liked it
I remember one particular story as heart-wrenching but mesmerizing as well. The courage of this woman was incredible, and it amazing to imagine having lived her story. I'm glad I read this book. These personal stories were so interesting.
Mickie
Oct 10, 2009 Mickie rated it it was amazing
A compelling collection of memoirs from women journalists sent to cover the Vietnam War. This and Telex from Cuba were among my favorite reads in 2008.
Ruth
Jun 30, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-read
The stories of the women journalists whom were in Vietnam show us their true colors and how human they were during one of the darkest times in U.S. history. I loved reading this book.
Renee Garris
May 15, 2015 Renee Garris rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone who wants to understand the Vietnam War from different perspectives. This is a collection of stories from women who reported on the war.
Logan
Logan rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2011
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2008
Penny Kettlewell
Penny Kettlewell rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
A
A rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Alice Stears
Alice Stears rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Jenelle
Jenelle rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Lana
Lana rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Jane Elliott
Jane Elliott rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Jana
Jana rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
Sadonna
Sadonna rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2008
R.A. Douthitt
R.A. Douthitt rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Michaela
Michaela rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2014
Karmavet
Karmavet rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
J.lisa
J.lisa rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Awach10
Mar 15, 2016 Awach10 rated it really liked it
Really interesting to hear different aspects of the war and the field of journalism
Suzanne Hlotke
Suzanne Hlotke rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015
Frank Lee
Frank Lee rated it did not like it
May 19, 2016